The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 06-28-2007, 08:28 AM   #576
Sassy
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Eddie Royal

I broke down and bought it! Great news you're getting it already! I was going to offer to let you borrow mine!
Sassy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 10:54 AM   #577
Dagmar
...there ain't no devil

..there's just God when he's drunk.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tim Tebow

24 days till the big event...
Dagmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 10:55 AM   #578
alkemical
Guerrilla Ontologist

rorrim|mirror

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Prima Materia

I have a hard time finding fiction i like. I'm a huge HP lovecraft fan, and i like to read - but it's hard to catch something i really can get interested in. I used to read TONS of fiction when i was younger.
alkemical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 04:26 PM   #579
Old Dude
Super Moderator

Consultant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkana7 View Post

That's a fabulous book, BTW.
Old Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 11:11 PM   #580
BroncoInferno
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Dude View Post
On deck:

The Plot Against America (Philip Roth) (Lindy gets elected president and the nazis win)
Roth is my favorite contemporary writer. Have you read this one yet? Excellent read. If you like this one, you should also check out Portnoy's Complaint, The Human Stain, and Sabbath's Theater. Hell, you really can't go wrong with any Roth. His latest, Everyman, is one of the best works on aging I've read.
BroncoInferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 11:45 PM   #581
BroncoBuff

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MALIK+QUANTERUS

I'm giving up on reading. Ever since Tredici exposed me as a literary dilettante.
BroncoBuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 10:21 AM   #582
Dagmar
...there ain't no devil

..there's just God when he's drunk.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tim Tebow

23 days...
Dagmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 06:19 PM   #583
No1BroncoFan
Old School

If you have to ask, you don't know

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagmar View Post
23 days...
You mean 23 years?

I'm glad I got mine pre-ordered. It's gonna be a fiasco for ayone trying to get a copy who didn't.

Ben
No1BroncoFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 12:29 AM   #584
Mtbrncofn
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassy View Post
I broke down and bought it! Great news you're getting it already! I was going to offer to let you borrow mine!
Well that was a nice thought! Thanks!
Mtbrncofn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 07:04 AM   #585
Sassy
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Eddie Royal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtbrncofn View Post
Well that was a nice thought! Thanks!
No problem...did you read it yet
Sassy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 11:37 AM   #586
BroncoBuff

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MALIK+QUANTERUS

Dagmar .... Keith Olbermann says Harry lives. It would be terrible for the new Potter movie box office (of the last book) if everybody knew that Harry was killed in the next book. He does think that Harry might lose all his powers though, in order to rid the scar (?) of the bad guy off his forehead ... ??

Glad to help
BroncoBuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 02:07 PM   #587
Mtbrncofn
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassy View Post
No problem...did you read it yet
No...grumble, grumble. This is what happened. We had this mini vacation scheduled with my inlaws. I got the libary call too late Wednesday night to go get it. We were leaving Thursday morning. It's a tiny town, the librarians like to sleep in...the library doesn't open til noon! We just got back last night and the damn place is closed on Mondays too.

I have to wait til tomorrow at noon to even go pick it up! Geez!
Mtbrncofn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2007, 07:37 PM   #588
No1BroncoFan
Old School

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoBuff View Post
Dagmar .... Keith Olbermann says Harry lives. It would be terrible for the new Potter movie box office (of the last book) if everybody knew that Harry was killed in the next book. He does think that Harry might lose all his powers though, in order to rid the scar (?) of the bad guy off his forehead ... ??

Glad to help
Don't be so sure. Everyone knew the Titanic would sink, but that movie made a bundle!

Ben
Old 07-09-2007, 09:38 PM   #589
Cito Pelon
Attack at all times . . .

Not2Shabby County Seat

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Slim Shabby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Dude View Post
That's a fabulous book, BTW.
Agreed. "The Proud Tower" by Tuchman is an interesting read.
Cito Pelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2007, 08:26 PM   #590
No1BroncoFan
Old School

Well, the 21st has come and gone, and so has "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows." Got my copy at about 1:15 am on the 21st and finished it about 5:30 this morning (22nd). Yes, the book kept me up all night. Absolutely couldn't put it down. There were a couple of slow spots and a couple predictable moments, but all in all an excellent read.

Many thanks to Madam Rowling for the years of entertainment she has provided in the Harry Potter series. I can hardly wait to see what she has for us next!

Ben
Old 07-22-2007, 09:52 PM   #591
Florida_Bronco
Ring of Famer

Coming Back Strong in 2014

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Quinton Carter

I just read Inside Delta Force by Eric Haney, it was a very exciting book that I recommend to anyone interested in military.
Florida_Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2007, 11:59 PM   #592
Billy Clyde Puckett
Billy=Semi Tough Big Guy

Looking down on KC, SD and Oakland

Adopt-a-Bronco:
John Elway

Quote:
Originally Posted by No1BroncoFan View Post
Well, the 21st has come and gone, and so has "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows." Got my copy at about 1:15 am on the 21st and finished it about 5:30 this morning (22nd). Yes, the book kept me up all night. Absolutely couldn't put it down. There were a couple of slow spots and a couple predictable moments, but all in all an excellent read.

Many thanks to Madam Rowling for the years of entertainment she has provided in the Harry Potter series. I can hardly wait to see what she has for us next!

Ben
My oldest daughter, wife and youngest daughter have al finished a single copy in 40 hours since they got home from purchasing it. all are thrilled.
Billy Clyde Puckett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 01:21 AM   #593
broncolife
Mr. Studmuffin

Ice and Fire

Yeah I finished Harry Potter about an hour ago. Great book. If I had to describe it in two words it would be BLOOD BATH! When she said people were going to die she meant it.
broncolife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 02:00 PM   #594
Smiling Assassin27
Louisville Soul Train

Hurry Hurry

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

The Unaborted Socrates by Peter Kreeft is genius.

Written in dialogue format, Socrates has philosophical conversations with an abortion doctor, a pro abort philosopher, and a moral relativist psychologist. Great application of Socratic method to the issue of abortion with subtle and not so subtle humor. Got it done in about 3-4 hours.
Smiling Assassin27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 11:41 PM   #595
No1BroncoFan
Old School

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncolife View Post
Yeah I finished Harry Potter about an hour ago. Great book. If I had to describe it in two words it would be BLOOD BATH! When she said people were going to die she meant it.
I would go with "very dark." Blood bath implies a lack of story which is filled in by senseless killing where the deaths in "Deathly Hallows" are an integral part of the story line. Although I thought the ending a tad weak, the story on the whole is very strong. I blasted through the audio books in less than a week to prepare for the seventh book. Now that I've read it, I'm gonna go back and read the entire series again (actually read them). Once I'm done with that I should be able to pick a favorite.

If you haven't seen "Order of the Phoenix" yet, GO! It's definitely the best of the movies so far. Strange thing is, it was the weakest of the books. I guess that kinda makes sense. My favorite of the books (that have made it to the big screen) was "Prisoner of Azkaban" and that was certainly the worst of the five movies.

Ben

Last edited by No1BroncoFan; 07-23-2007 at 11:45 PM..
Old 07-24-2007, 08:16 AM   #596
BroncoInferno
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiling Assassin27 View Post
Sure, if you consider a work loaded to the gills with straw man arguments and a priori assumptions, then Kreeft's work is as about as brilliant as it gets. It tells you all you need to know about Kreeft that he does not even bother to argue with a straw woman in his silly little book. Odd (and telling) omission, wouldn't you say?
Old 07-24-2007, 11:59 AM   #597
Smiling Assassin27
Louisville Soul Train

Hurry Hurry

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

Sorry, you wouldn't know a straw man if it kicked you in the head. Have you read the book? If so, name a straw man. Considering he brings everything back to whether the fetus is a person or not, he's the ONLY one who has boiled the issue down rather than let the emotional cackling of folks like yourself rule the argument. It's typical for many to call names, call arguments idiotic, yet not deal with the actual argument at all.
Smiling Assassin27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 12:27 PM   #598
TailgateNut
Bleedin' orange!

.......as much as tebonites

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Howard Griffith

Bushworld: Enter At Your Own Risk
New York Times Columnist Maureen Dowd Talks About Her New Book

I got this for Fathers Day from one of my sons who WAS a Bush supporter during his first term. The other one has always been wise

Buy "Bushworld"

The Bush Dynasty
With roots in Texas and Connecticut, and a couple of glam offshoots, here's the Bush family tree.

NEW YORK, Aug. 11, 2004
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(CBS)

(CBS) While most politicians like making headlines, Democrats and Republicans generally dislike being the subject of Maureen Dowd's sharp commentary on the Op Ed page of the New York Times. Her new book, "Bushworld: Enter At Your Own Risk," is a compilation of columns about the current president and his father.

As The Early Show co-anchor Hannah Storm points out, Dowd has a penchant for nicknames. For instance, she sometimes refers to George H.W. Bush as "Old King" and his son, the current President Bush, as "Boy King." What sort of relationship did Dowd have with the elder Bush?

"He describes it is as a love/hate relationship, because he loved it when I would tweak the Clintons and hates it when I tweak the Bushes," says Dowd.

Storm says she psychoanalyzes the father-son relationship, citing a quote from the book: "W. avenged his dad, replaced his dad, made his dad proud and rebelled against his dad all with the same war." Dowd's diagnosis: They have "an Oedipal loop-de-loop.

What does that mean?

"In a way, it follows the hero myth of 'Star Wars,' with the president as Luke Skywalker, and he has the good father, his own dad, who believed in internationalism and the Atlantic alliance and doing things with the allies and coalitions. Then you have the bad, dark father, Darth Vader, which is Dick Cheney, and he sort of led the president down this gloomy, dark, paranoid path of unilateralism and sort of bullying the world. (This is) a very different attitude than the Bush family had had in its history."

So, Storm wanted to know, does Dowd think the current president intentionally turned his back on his father's internationalism and traditional alliances? Dowd calls this a teenage rebellion that was played out on the international stage.

"Right," replies Dowd. "Well, I mean, OK. Look at it this way. If you have a Republican president who goes to war against Saddam Hussein in Iraq, wouldn't he call the last Republican president who went to war in Iraq against Saddam Hussein? I mean, especially if it's his dad and his beloved dad?

"And the fact that he didn't even call his dad before he went back to finish his dad's war a different way just strikes me as amazing."

Does Dowd know for a fact that George W. Bush never consulted his father regarding the war in Iraq?

"I think the son didn't want to hear what the dad had to say, which was, 'Do you have an exit strategy?'"

Dowd writes: "In Bushworld, our troops go to war and get killed, but you never see the bodies go home. In Bushworld, we're making progress in the war on terror by fighting a world that creates terrorists." Pundits have said that Maureen Dowd is a liberal. Does she see herself that way?

"I think I'm an equal opportunity skeptic," she replies. "I used to tweak Clinton just as much."

She won a Pulitzer Prize for her columns on President Clinton's impeachment, and she says she does feel that whoever is in the White House is fair game. If John Kerry should become president, would Dowd have enough material?

"Well, I think Teresa is very promising," Dowd comments, "and I think…the White House…tends to be like a soundproof booth. And presidents go in promising certain things, like...no new taxes. But then they get in there and change."

Was she surprised to see Laura Bush speak out publicly against stem cell research?

"I think it's a huge mistake," says Dowd. "They drag Laura on to the campaign trail, because she had such high approval ratings and they needed that after the Iraq war.

"Laura is this fantastic, nice, 'Marian the librarian' type, curled up with a cat on her lap, reading Dostoevsky," continues Dowd. "Now she's dragged out to be a Republican attack dog on the most contentious issue…stem cell research, defending her husband's refusal to use more lines... Now she's pitted against Nancy Reagan, the sainted former first lady, and I don't think it's a good position for her."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

AN EXCERPT FROM BUSHWORLD: Enter At Your Own Risk

By Maureen Dowd

April 25, 2004

Adventures in an Alternate Reality

It's their reality. We just live and die in it.

In Bushworld, our troops go to war and get killed, but you never see the bodies coming home.

In Bushworld, flag-draped remains of the fallen are important to revere and show the nation, but only in political ads hawking the president's leadership against terror.

In Bushworld, we can create an exciting Iraqi democracy as long as it doesn't control its own military, pass any laws or have any power.

In Bushworld, we can win over Falluja by bulldozing it.

In Bushworld, it was worth going to war so Iraqis can express their feelings (''Down With America!'') without having their tongues cut out, although we cannot yet allow them to express intemperate feelings in newspapers (''Down With America!'') without shutting them down.

In Bushworld, it's fine to take $700 million that Congress provided for the war in Afghanistan
and 9/11 recovery and divert it to the war in Iraq that you're insisting you're not planning.

In Bushworld, you don't consult your father, the expert in being president during a war with Iraq, but you do talk to your Higher Father, who can't talk back to warn you to get an exit strategy or chide you for using Him for political purposes.

In Bushworld, it's O.K. to run for re-election as the avenger of 9/11, even as you make secret deals with the Arab kingdom where most of the 9/11 hijackers came from.

In Bushworld, you get to strut around like a tough military guy and paint your rival as a chicken hawk, even though he's the one who won medals in combat and was praised by his superior officers for fulfilling all his obligations.

In Bushworld, it makes sense to press for transparency in Mr. and Mrs. Rival while cultivating your own opacity.

In Bushworld, you can reign as the antiterror president even after hearing an intelligence report about Al Qaeda's plans to attack America and then stepping outside to clear brush.

In Bushworld, those who dissemble about the troops and money it will take to get Iraq on its feet are patriots, while those who are honest are patronizingly marginalized.

In Bushworld, they struggle to keep church and state separate in Iraq, even as they increasingly merge the two in America.

In Bushworld, you can claim to be the environmental president on Earth Day while being the industry president every other day.

In Bushworld, you brag about how well Afghanistan is going, even though soldiers like Pat Tillman are still dying and the Taliban are running freely around the border areas, hiding Osama and delaying elections.

In Bushworld, imperfect intelligence is good enough to knock over Iraq. But even better evidence that North Korea is building the weapons that Saddam could only dream about is hidden away.

In Bushworld, the CIA says it can't find out whether there are WMD in Iraq unless we invade on the grounds that there are WMD.

In Bushworld, there's no irony that so many who did so much to avoid the Vietnam draft have now strained the military so much that lawmakers are talking about bringing back the draft.

In Bushworld, we're making progress in the war on terror by fighting a war that creates terrorists.

In Bushworld, you don't need to bother asking your vice president and top Defense Department officials whether you should go to war in Iraq, because they've already maneuvered you into going to war.

In Bushworld, it's perfectly natural for the president and vice president to appear before the 9/11 commission like the Olsen twins.

In Bushworld, you expound on remaking the Middle East and spreading pro-American sentiments even as you expand anti-American sentiments by ineptly occupying Iraq and unstintingly backing Ariel Sharon on West Bank settlements.

In Bushworld, we went to war to give Iraq a democratic process, yet we disdain the democratic process that causes allies to pull out troops.

In Bushworld, you pride yourself on the fact that your administration does not leak to the press, while you flood the best-known journalist in Washington with inside information.

In Bushworld, you list Bob Woodward's Plan of Attack as recommended reading on your campaign Web site, even though it makes you seem divorced from reality. That is, unless you live in Bushworld.
TailgateNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 03:48 PM   #599
BroncoInferno
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Sorry, you wouldn't know a straw man if it kicked you in the head.
straw man
–noun- a fabricated or conveniently weak or innocuous person, object, matter, etc., used as a seeming adversary or argument

When you create fictional characters and carefully craft their responses to your questions in way that conveniently leads to your next planned question (and so on until the inevitable victory is achieved), that is text book straw man arguing. That is precisely what Kreeft does in his laughable little book. Hell, the method he uses coupled with his obvious bias makes it nearly impossible to avoid straw man arguments.

Quote:
Have you read the book?
Yep. I like to understand opposing arguments rather than assuming charlatans like Kreeft are representing that side fairly.

Quote:
If so, name a straw man.
Every charatcer in the book.

Quote:
Considering he brings everything back to whether the fetus is a person or not, he's the ONLY one who has boiled the issue down rather than let the emotional cackling of folks like yourself rule the argument.
And here you display your ignorance of the pro-choice argument for all to see. If you'd familiarize with folks like Trefil and Morowitz you would get much more sophisicated pro-choice arguments on the nature of personhood than Kreeft presents. He doesn't bother with such arguments either out of sheer ignorance or else just plain ol' intellectual dishonesty.

Quote:
It's typical for many to call names, call arguments idiotic, yet not deal with the actual argument at all.
Well, the responses his gives to the softball questions he lobs himself are fine. The problem is that the responses his fictional characters give are not reflective of any argument that an actual pro-choice individual of any intellectual standing would make. It is easy to win the debate when you make up arguments for the other side.

Again, I'd suggest you try Trefil and/or Morowitz as a start if you are interested in tackling the debate honestly.

Last edited by BroncoInferno; 07-24-2007 at 03:51 PM..
Old 07-24-2007, 04:04 PM   #600
epicSocialism4tw
Tebowing the long haul

all the way to the title

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Champ Bailey

Quote:

Written in dialogue format, Socrates has philosophical conversations with an abortion doctor, a pro abort philosopher, and a moral relativist psychologist. Great application of Socratic method to the issue of abortion with subtle and not so subtle humor. Got it done in about 3-4 hours.
Sounds interesting...I'll give it a shot.

Right now, I'm reading "Origin of Species" by Charles Darwin.
epicSocialism4tw is offline   Reply With Quote