The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Other Sports Discussion > NBA & NCAA
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-18-2007, 07:52 AM   #501
JCMElway
Moderate-erator
 
JCMElway's Avatar
 
Dominate!

Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Grand Rapids, MI
Posts: 7,223

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Oleg
Default

OK, Llama's time is up. My selection is:

Greg Popovich, Coach, Spurs

Daly was goig to be my choice until he got nabbed. In my mind there just isn't a better lock-down defensive type coach available. Also, three championships in seven years puts Pop in the conversation with Riley. He hasn't won 6 in eight years, or three in a row like Auerbach or Jackson, but I think Popovich would obtain similar results if he had Jordan or those Celtic teams.

Besides, I think Pop probably has a few more championships coming in the next few years.
JCMElway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 07:53 AM   #502
JCMElway
Moderate-erator
 
JCMElway's Avatar
 
Dominate!

Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Grand Rapids, MI
Posts: 7,223

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Oleg
Default

BobHorry5 is on the clock until 7 pM CST.

Angryllama may select at any time.
JCMElway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 08:01 AM   #503
GSRelyea
NEWOUTDOORSMEN.COM
 
GSRelyea's Avatar
 

Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Saratoga, NY
Posts: 1,044

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Al Wilson
Default

This all coming from a guy that has AI & Kobe in his backcourt My thought process on this draft was to draft the best TEAM, not as many superstars you can fit on one roster. Every team needs role players, which has been proved time and time again ie- our recent olympic squads........ As JCMElway said each team will get ripped apart in discussion once this draft is over, will be interesting. (by the way Bill Laimbeer is on the top 50 all time list)

Quote:
Originally Posted by freak6 View Post
So Bill Laimbeer is one of the top 128 players of all time?

Ok. For a guy whose best years were behind him when he turned into a thug hockey enforcer for the Pistons.

Would the Pistons have still won those 2 championships without Bill Laimbeer? Probably. How much better did he really make them? Even in his prime, they couldn't get past the 6ers or Celtics.

As far as Hornacek, he was solid and a good shooter, but there are about 12 guards drafted after him, Kerr, and the Microwave that are better.

To each his own. This is just for fun, and if guys wanna take dudes they cheered for, so be it.

Personally, I'd put my bench up against most of these teams starters with confidence!
GSRelyea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 10:40 AM   #504
azbroncfan
Ring of Famer
 
azbroncfan's Avatar
 
Angry guntoting,meateating AMERICAN

Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Scottsdale
Posts: 8,645

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TEBOW
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSRelyea View Post
This all coming from a guy that has AI & Kobe in his backcourt My thought process on this draft was to draft the best TEAM, not as many superstars you can fit on one roster. Every team needs role players, which has been proved time and time again ie- our recent olympic squads........ As JCMElway said each team will get ripped apart in discussion once this draft is over, will be interesting. (by the way Bill Laimbeer is on the top 50 all time list)
That is my thought process. Fitting guys like Kobe and AI together just wouldn't mesh due to the fact that they are both ball hogs.
azbroncfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 10:53 AM   #505
Master___Pain
Ring of Famer
 
Master___Pain's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: The Springs
Posts: 4,499

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Rock Hoover
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by freak6 View Post
So Bill Laimbeer is one of the top 128 players of all time?

Ok. For a guy whose best years were behind him when he turned into a thug hockey enforcer for the Pistons.

Would the Pistons have still won those 2 championships without Bill Laimbeer? Probably. How much better did he really make them? Even in his prime, they couldn't get past the 6ers or Celtics.

As far as Hornacek, he was solid and a good shooter, but there are about 12 guards drafted after him, Kerr, and the Microwave that are better.

To each his own. This is just for fun, and if guys wanna take dudes they cheered for, so be it.

Personally, I'd put my bench up against most of these teams starters with confidence!
Sometimes it's best to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt.
Master___Pain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 12:03 PM   #506
freak6
Ring of Famer
 
freak6's Avatar
 
Impeach President Cheney and Puppet

Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: San Diego
Posts: 4,626

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MJK
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCMElway View Post
OK, Llama's time is up. My selection is:

Greg Popovich, Coach, Spurs

Daly was goig to be my choice until he got nabbed. In my mind there just isn't a better lock-down defensive type coach available. Also, three championships in seven years puts Pop in the conversation with Riley. He hasn't won 6 in eight years, or three in a row like Auerbach or Jackson, but I think Popovich would obtain similar results if he had Jordan or those Celtic teams.

Besides, I think Pop probably has a few more championships coming in the next few years.

Nice pick.
freak6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 12:12 PM   #507
freak6
Ring of Famer
 
freak6's Avatar
 
Impeach President Cheney and Puppet

Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: San Diego
Posts: 4,626

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MJK
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSRelyea View Post
This all coming from a guy that has AI & Kobe in his backcourt

As JCMElway said each team will get ripped apart in discussion once this draft is over, will be interesting. (by the way Bill Laimbeer is on the top 50 all time list)
lmfao!!

Laimbeer is barely a top ten PISTON All-time!!!

http://www.nba.com/pistons/history/alltime100_50-1.html

Did whoever told you Laimbeer is on the top 50 All-time list throw in some time shares in Siberia?

That statement speaks volumes on it's own.

My thought process is put the best players on the court. Laimbeer is a weakness to be exploited, everytime he is on the court. One dimensional guys like Kerr...

Master - what was wrong about anything I said.

I truly would feel confident putting my bench against some of these starting teams.

Yao - C
Brand - PF
Nba Finals MVP - PG
Paul Pierce - SG

btw- Do any of you really think A.I. would have a problem running with Kobe, A.I. as you all saw, puts winning above anything. He took a ton of shots in Philly because he was all they had. He carried that team to the NBA Finals, and was MOST VALUABE PLAYER.

With the talent I've assembled A.I. will be unstoppable because if you double him he's kicking to Bird for 3, Kobe slashing or pulling up, and don't even get started on McAdoo, the last NBA player to Average 30 ppg, and 15 rpg!!!

Last edited by freak6; 07-18-2007 at 12:22 PM..
freak6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 01:06 PM   #508
GSRelyea
NEWOUTDOORSMEN.COM
 
GSRelyea's Avatar
 

Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Saratoga, NY
Posts: 1,044

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Al Wilson
Default

Same thought process of our last 4 olympic teams, throw the best players out there... doesn't seem to work.
Quote:
Originally Posted by freak6 View Post
lmfao!!

Laimbeer is barely a top ten PISTON All-time!!!

http://www.nba.com/pistons/history/alltime100_50-1.html

Did whoever told you Laimbeer is on the top 50 All-time list throw in some time shares in Siberia?

That statement speaks volumes on it's own.

My thought process is put the best players on the court. Laimbeer is a weakness to be exploited, everytime he is on the court. One dimensional guys like Kerr...

Master - what was wrong about anything I said.

I truly would feel confident putting my bench against some of these starting teams.

Yao - C
Brand - PF
Nba Finals MVP - PG
Paul Pierce - SG

btw- Do any of you really think A.I. would have a problem running with Kobe, A.I. as you all saw, puts winning above anything. He took a ton of shots in Philly because he was all they had. He carried that team to the NBA Finals, and was MOST VALUABE PLAYER.

With the talent I've assembled A.I. will be unstoppable because if you double him he's kicking to Bird for 3, Kobe slashing or pulling up, and don't even get started on McAdoo, the last NBA player to Average 30 ppg, and 15 rpg!!!
GSRelyea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 03:28 PM   #509
vancejohnson82
Shabby
 
vancejohnson82's Avatar
 

Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Hawthorne, NJ
Posts: 6,080

Adopt-a-Bronco:
All 8 Points
Default

your bench is weak

Yao - shies away at any kind of contact/pressure
Brand - likes to put up 20-10 numbers in games his team loses
Paul Pierce - I actually like Pierce but what has he won??
NBA Finals MVP - product of a great team (a lot of guys could have pulled this off, including youngins' like TJ FORD or Deron Williams)

get off your own team's sack a little bit
vancejohnson82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 04:22 PM   #510
epicSocialism4tw
Tebowing the long haul
 
all the way to the title

Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: TX, USA
Posts: 36,819

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Champ Bailey
Default

I'm going with Chris Webber, PF Sacramento Kings.

Biochemnerd Parade
Coach: Red Auerbach
PG - Cousy
SG - Aguirre
SF - Nowitzki
PF - Garnett
C - Russell

Bench:
Willis Reed, C
Bill Sharman, SG
Chris Webber, PF
epicSocialism4tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 04:41 PM   #511
Master___Pain
Ring of Famer
 
Master___Pain's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: The Springs
Posts: 4,499

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Rock Hoover
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by angryllama View Post
I'm going with Chris Webber, PF Sacramento Kings.

Biochemnerd Parade
Coach: Red Auerbach
PG - Cousy
SG - Aguirre
SF - Nowitzki
PF - Garnett
C - Russell

Bench:
Willis Reed, C
Bill Sharman, SG
Chris Webber, PF
Llama...he's already been picked bro. A couple of Rounds ago I believe by azbroncofan

Last edited by Master___Pain; 07-18-2007 at 04:43 PM..
Master___Pain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 04:46 PM   #512
epicSocialism4tw
Tebowing the long haul
 
all the way to the title

Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: TX, USA
Posts: 36,819

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Champ Bailey
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master___Pain View Post
Llama...he's already been picked bro. A couple of Rounds ago I believe by azbroncofan
Cripes. I cant see who that guy picked. I'll give it another shot.
epicSocialism4tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 05:49 PM   #513
Master___Pain
Ring of Famer
 
Master___Pain's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: The Springs
Posts: 4,499

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Rock Hoover
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by freak6 View Post
Master - what was wrong about anything I said.
Does it matter? You are already belittling everyone over their picks and even if the most complete point by point (re: Laimbeer/Hornicek) argument was laid out before you, you'd dismiss it without thought. It's what you do. If something does not fall within your opinion/what you believe, you do not listen. That's fine, it's your "thing".

Anyway, back to the draft. Don't want this fun thread veering of course.
Master___Pain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 05:54 PM   #514
freak6
Ring of Famer
 
freak6's Avatar
 
Impeach President Cheney and Puppet

Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: San Diego
Posts: 4,626

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MJK
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vancejohnson82 View Post
your bench is weak

Yao - shies away at any kind of contact/pressure
Brand - likes to put up 20-10 numbers in games his team loses
Paul Pierce - I actually like Pierce but what has he won??
NBA Finals MVP - product of a great team (a lot of guys could have pulled this off, including youngins' like TJ FORD or Deron Williams)

get off your own team's sack a little bit
You can't make statement like that about Yao, he doesn't shy away from 'any kind of contact', but you can't expect him to be Shaq. He's one of the best 7 footers in NBA history already, top 15 at least.

Brand and the Clippers did beat the Nuggets in the Playoffs last year...Right? But then again, he is a loser right? But I guess because he plays in the West he's garbage right, behind Duncan, K.G., Dirk, and the other PFs...

Pierce sucks also because he hasn't won anything...errr...

And last but not least TJ Ford = Chauncy Billups..........



I digress, my team is bunch of selfish gunners that don't win games, MVPS, let alone championships...

Last edited by freak6; 07-18-2007 at 06:11 PM..
freak6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 05:57 PM   #515
freak6
Ring of Famer
 
freak6's Avatar
 
Impeach President Cheney and Puppet

Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: San Diego
Posts: 4,626

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MJK
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master___Pain View Post
Does it matter? You are already belittling everyone over their picks and even if the most complete point by point (re: Laimbeer/Hornicek) argument was laid out before you, you'd dismiss it without thought.
Like how Laimbeer is one of the top 50 NBA players of all time...LMFAO!!!!
Picking that goon that early is indefensible. Him, Horny, and Kerr are the only picks I have said anything about. But then again, I guess I am "belittling EVERYONE"...lol

Last edited by freak6; 07-18-2007 at 06:02 PM..
freak6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 06:31 PM   #516
JCMElway
Moderate-erator
 
JCMElway's Avatar
 
Dominate!

Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Grand Rapids, MI
Posts: 7,223

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Oleg
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by freak6 View Post
Like how Laimbeer is one of the top 50 NBA players of all time...LMFAO!!!!
Picking that goon that early is indefensible. Him, Horny, and Kerr are the only picks I have said anything about. But then again, I guess I am "belittling EVERYONE"...lol
I would not have selected Laimbeer as early as he went, but I certainly would put a higher value on him than you do Freak. Along with the other things he did well Laimbeer brought toughness and nastiness to the Pistons that helped them define ther style of play.

Would they have won their championships without him? No, I don't think they would have. Maybe one, but not two.
JCMElway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 07:20 PM   #517
RhymesayersDU
Go Broncos, Nuggets, Rox
 
RhymesayersDU's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Back In The 303!
Posts: 14,981

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ty Lawson
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master___Pain View Post
Sometimes it's best to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt.
Confucius say: He who laugh last, not get joke.
RhymesayersDU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 07:31 PM   #518
Master___Pain
Ring of Famer
 
Master___Pain's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: The Springs
Posts: 4,499

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Rock Hoover
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RhymesayersDU View Post
Confucius say: He who laugh last, not get joke.
Heh, heh......I don't get it.
Master___Pain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 10:51 PM   #519
BobHorry5
Just Drafted
 
New to the Forum

Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 25

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

ok calm down now boys...
laimbeer maybe a little early but a good role player
but come on tj ford or deron williams as good as tony?
i am in austin and watched tj gr8 speed but makes bad court decisions and lacks a jump shot and deron does have a future but lets not make him john stockton..
tony led the team in scoring more than any non duncan player on the spurs and has taken every current nba point guard up and down the court check any head to head stats oh yeah and hes only what 22 / 23 yrs old
and tru there were better picks maybe than kerr but he filled a need on a Team there is only 1 ball on the court

Last edited by BobHorry5; 07-18-2007 at 11:11 PM.. Reason: more info
BobHorry5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 10:56 PM   #520
BobHorry5
Just Drafted
 
New to the Forum

Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 25

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

i will now pick and take a another banger of my own Charles Oakley
pf and team spokesperson
"If it ain't broke, don't break it." [1]
"They're like contracts. Everybody's got one. Some are just bigger than others." - Oakley on the entourages of NBA players. [2]
"If you have a horse that isn't winning any races, sooner or later you have to get a new jockey." - Oakley, on Chicago Bull's coach Tim Floyd. [3]
"I'm cool with whatever. I'll just keep eating my bread, sipping my soup and serving my time. But the chicken is going to lay some more eggs one day." - Oakley as a veteran, on being benched in favor of teenagers. [4]
"It was like the police trying to stop a shootout: You gotta have your gun out. Don't go out there with your hands down." - -Oakley, on Knick's coach Jeff Van Gundy getting headbutted while trying to stop Marcus Camby from suckerpunching Danny Ferry. [5]
"Oh well, that's basketball. It used to be basketball. I don't know what it is now." - -Oakley, on the flagrant foul he was assessed for flattening the Nets' Kenyon Martin. [6]
"You got to know when enough's enough. You want to rob the bank, but you better not be complainin' when you get caught. In my day, a guy who jumps that high with that many tatoos, he would've wound up sitting on the floor at least once. It's just the kind of player (Martin) is. And the kind of guy I am." - Oakley, on Kenyon Martin and his flagrant foul reputation. [7]
"He's a lawyer, not a GM. You can't spend $250 million on contracts and not make the playoffs. Vince Carter's mom runs that team. She's the GM." - Oakley on Toronto GM Glen Grunwald. [8]
BobHorry5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 11:14 PM   #521
azbroncfan
Ring of Famer
 
azbroncfan's Avatar
 
Angry guntoting,meateating AMERICAN

Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Scottsdale
Posts: 8,645

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TEBOW
Default

I'm taking one of the best players no body knows about and that gives me two of them in Sidney Moncrief and Mitch Richmond.



Moncrief's NBA career started with the Milwaukee Bucks in 1979 when he was drafted 5th overall. Moncrief spent the next 10 seasons with the Bucks. After sitting out of the NBA for one year, Moncrief ended his career with one season with the Atlanta Hawks before calling it quits for good.

Moncrief was known for his versatility on the court, particularly given his 6' 4" stature, but was most known for his tenacious defensive play. Moncrief was named the NBA Defensive Player of the Year for the 1982-83 and 1983-84 seasons. He also made the All-Star team 4 times and was named to the All-NBA first team for the 1982-83 season. Moncrief averaged over 20 points a game 4 seasons in his career and finished his 11 year NBA career with an average of 15.6 points per game. For his accomplishments with the Bucks, his #4 jersey was retired.

Among Moncrief's admirers was Michael Jordan who once described his on court intensity to an L.A. Times reporter: "When you play against Moncrief, you're in for a night of all-around basketball. He'll hound you everywhere you go, both ends of the court. You just expect it."[1]

In 2006, Moncrief returned to basketball as the head coach of the Fort Worth Flyers, a professional basketball team in the NBA D-League

2 time defensive player of the year. Gives me a one of the best Defensive backcourts out there teamed with The Glove.

LUDO is on the clock pick was made at 830 PST.
azbroncfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 11:28 PM   #522
Master___Pain
Ring of Famer
 
Master___Pain's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: The Springs
Posts: 4,499

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Rock Hoover
Default

Nice pick az. He was on my radar. Great late round value right there.
Master___Pain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 11:51 PM   #523
JCMElway
Moderate-erator
 
JCMElway's Avatar
 
Dominate!

Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Grand Rapids, MI
Posts: 7,223

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Oleg
Default

Nice picks with Oakley and Moncrief.

Ludo 21 is on the clock until noon CST on Thursday.

Angryllama may still make a selection at any time.
JCMElway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 12:45 AM   #524
epicSocialism4tw
Tebowing the long haul
 
all the way to the title

Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: TX, USA
Posts: 36,819

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Champ Bailey
Default

I'm going with another Maverick great:

Rolando Blackmon, G
epicSocialism4tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 12:47 AM   #525
freak6
Ring of Famer
 
freak6's Avatar
 
Impeach President Cheney and Puppet

Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: San Diego
Posts: 4,626

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MJK
Default

Ludo PM'd me his pick.

He selects Marcus Stevenson.

A 1st team all city PG for the Madison City YMCA Cougars - Marcus enjoys coloring, Playstation, and watching Spongbob.

Marcus shot 52% from the field and averaged a triple double leading his team to the YMCA title over the Caribou from nearby Hershaelville.

Some of his famous quotes include
- "It was like I hit the circle button huh coach!"

- "I learned that move from my older brother, he has stinky armpits"

- "When do we get the orange slices"
freak6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:58 PM.


Denver Broncos