The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Other Sports Discussion > NHL
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 07-02-2007, 02:26 AM   #1726
SoCalBronco
Nixonite

Adopt-a-Bronco:
D.J. Williams

PIT settles for Darryl Sydor and Petr Sykora.

Gay effort by the FO so far, but I think a trade is brewin'.

Last edited by SoCalBronco; 07-02-2007 at 02:29 AM..
SoCalBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 03:08 AM   #1727
Turf Shaman
Seasoned Veteran

Use in moderation.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Samuel Adams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jens1893 View Post
I don´t know how accurate this is.

http://www.nhlnumbers.com/col.html
Here's a good, up to date listing of the Avs cap situation:

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=368222

Svatos is the only significant RFA (or, for that matter, UFA) the Avs still need to sign. After the sub par season he had, he will likely either accept his QO or get traded (maybe he is offered a one year deal for slightly more than his QO, but not much more). That leaves the Avs with about 6 or 7 million to spend. Plenty to sign either Forsberg or another significant signing and still have room left over to absorb salary in a midseason trade. There are still some good defensemen available (Brad Stuart, Tom Preissing, Danny Markov, Andy Sutton, etc.) and they could also use a forward to round out the bottom two lines.

The Avs are pretty stacked with top line talent right now so Forsberg probably isn't a priority, but I couldn't complain about him returning and finishing his career in an Avs uniform. It certainly wouldn't hurt.
Turf Shaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 01:15 PM   #1728
Smiling Assassin27
Helmet Tester

Hurry Hurry

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

I trust everyone's happy with their new toys? Rafalski will do just fine in Detroit, thank you very much.

I really wanna see what the Avs look like with Smyth in the fold now.
Smiling Assassin27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 03:04 PM   #1729
Mtbrncofn
Ring of Famer

I can now say with a bit of confidence, be afraid WC.
Mtbrncofn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 03:08 PM   #1730
Mtbrncofn
Ring of Famer

Preissing to the Queens.

Said to be 4yrs/11 mil.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=212531&hubname=nhl
Old 07-02-2007, 05:52 PM   #1731
chadta
Atomic Meatball Keeper

Adopt-a-Bronco:
The Mc Rib

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronx33 View Post
Chadta will no doubt come unglued...

its like a bad dream, say it aint so, anybody else but why did we have to get the whiney biatch, altho all will be forgiven if he gets 100 goals and brings a cup to broad street. Dont get me wrong ill stop hating him once the season starts, but i still wont cheer for him.

but i am happy with all the other moves, i would expect more to come, we now have 7 top 6 forwards, and no real tough guy, we also only have one offensive defensman, i can see trading hatcher an one of our forwards for an offensive D man and a tough guy.
chadta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 08:16 PM   #1732
Hercules Rockefeller
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
DJ Williams

I see that Nylander did not end up in Edmonton, but signed with the Caps. 4 years at $19.5M for a 34-year old. Not sure how much I like that.
Hercules Rockefeller is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 10:57 PM   #1733
Mtbrncofn
Ring of Famer

Well how bout that....May and Clodd reunite in Anaheim as Bertuzzi signs with the Ducks. Burke is getting all his thugs back together nicely.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=212560&hubname=nhl

Other notables:

Owen Nolan signs with Calgary
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=212564&hubname=nhl

Queens also add Nagy, Calder, and Handzsus.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=212558&hubname=nhl

Our old pal, Ken Klee signs with Atlanta
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=212557&hubname=nhl

What an exciting and busy couple of days. Man, I can't wait for hockey to start this year.
Old 07-03-2007, 10:28 PM   #1734
Mtbrncofn
Ring of Famer

Giguere was sliding way down on my likeability scale til he pulled off the Smyth and Hannan deals. Then I go read **** like this and he gets right back where he was before.
From Spectors:

DENVER POST: Adrian Dater reports Colorado Avalanche GM Francois Giguere hinted that the possibility of bringing back Peter Forsberg may not happen, citing a desire not to alter the team chemistry much more from its current makeup. Giguere also won't re-sign UFA blueliner Ossi Vaananen.

What a doorknob.
Old 07-04-2007, 01:12 AM   #1735
Turf Shaman
Seasoned Veteran

Use in moderation.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Samuel Adams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtbrncofn View Post
Giguere was sliding way down on my likeability scale til he pulled off the Smyth and Hannan deals. Then I go read **** like this and he gets right back where he was before.
From Spectors:

DENVER POST: Adrian Dater reports Colorado Avalanche GM Francois Giguere hinted that the possibility of bringing back Peter Forsberg may not happen, citing a desire not to alter the team chemistry much more from its current makeup. Giguere also won't re-sign UFA blueliner Ossi Vaananen.

What a doorknob.
I saw the press conference... Dater (who is generally a pretty good reporter) is making an interpretation, and IMO, an invalid one. Dater asked him about Forsberg, and Giguere danced around the question with some GM speak. Nothing more to it than that. I don't think it has any bearing what so ever on whether or not the Avs are interested in bringing back Forsberg. I'm sure if Forsberg decides he wants to play in the NHL and is willing to work with the Avs cap situation with regards to a contract, the Avs would bring him back.

I'm not sure what there is to be so down on Giguere about, before or after these signings. I mean seriously, Lacroix completely bumbled his way through the first part of the salary cap era then left a huge mess on the plate of Giguere... frankly I think Giguere has done a phenomenal job cleaning it up. As it stands the one final mess to clean up is Theodore, and that will be gone after this season. I can't think of one really bad move Giguere has made...
Old 07-04-2007, 01:39 AM   #1736
Mtbrncofn
Ring of Famer

I hope you're right.

The Theodore thing burns my ass. I wanted him gone this season. I was hoping for the buyout, but obviously that's not going to happen.

I guess maybe I'm not giving him a fair shot. I'm still in the old mode where the trade deadline was the most exciting thing next to the playoffs. Of course there were no big splashes made, which I know is a good thing. It's just hard to accept change sometimes.

I love the moves he's made lately though.
Old 07-04-2007, 01:49 AM   #1737
SoCalBronco
Nixonite

Adopt-a-Bronco:
D.J. Williams

Quote:
I hope you're right.

The Theodore thing burns my ass. I wanted him gone this season. I was hoping for the buyout, but obviously that's not going to happen.

I guess maybe I'm not giving him a fair shot. I'm still in the old mode where the trade deadline was the most exciting thing next to the playoffs. Of course there were no big splashes made, which I know is a good thing. It's just hard to accept change sometimes.

Avalanche | Theodore extension coming?
Tue, 3 Jul 2007 21:19:41 -0700

Adrian Dater of The Denver Post reports that the Colorado Avalanche are beginning discussions on a contract extension for goaltender Jose Theodore, according to General Manager Francois Giguere.

http://www.kffl.com/hotw/mlb#400032

Ok, I made that up.
(KFFL doesnt do hockey anyway)

Last edited by SoCalBronco; 07-04-2007 at 01:52 AM..
Old 07-04-2007, 02:05 AM   #1738
Mtbrncofn
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalBronco View Post
Avalanche | Theodore extension coming?
Tue, 3 Jul 2007 21:19:41 -0700

Adrian Dater of The Denver Post reports that the Colorado Avalanche are beginning discussions on a contract extension for goaltender Jose Theodore, according to General Manager Francois Giguere.

http://www.kffl.com/hotw/mlb#400032

Ok, I made that up.
(KFFL doesnt do hockey anyway)
I swear, you should be shot for that. So not cool, SoCal.
Old 07-04-2007, 02:11 AM   #1739
24champ
Bring back Kubiak!

Keep Calm and Chive on

Adopt-a-Bronco:
DomCasual

Kings signed Stuart today. Glad we didn't overpay for players like most teams did.

24champ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 02:29 AM   #1740
chadta
Atomic Meatball Keeper

Adopt-a-Bronco:
The Mc Rib

Quote:
Originally Posted by 24champbailey View Post
Kings signed Stuart today. Glad we didn't overpay for players like most teams did.

no you didnt overpay but you got kyle calder

on purpose

chadta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 06:51 AM   #1741
Turf Shaman
Seasoned Veteran

Use in moderation.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Samuel Adams

Quote:
I hope you're right.

Giguere has been in a tough situation. Look what Lacroix left for him:

Theodore
Sakic and Blake bonuses
Brisebois
Turgeon

I feel like I'm forgetting something, but that's pretty bad right there. Need not elaborate on Theo... The bonuses were triggered because Lacroix declined the option years on their contracts... had Lacroix taken the options they would have been under contract at hefty prices, but at least they'd both be playing for the Avs. As it stood, the Avs were playing $10 million for the two of them, while only having Sakic actually playing for the team, instead of $13 million for both of them and having both of them playing for the team. As a result, they couldn't sign Tanguay or anyone else of note last year. And Brisebois and Turgeon never should have been signed to two year deals. So that right there is basically $14 million dollars in dead cap space left at Giguere's doorstep.

The whole buying out Theodore thing is debatable. I wanted it too, but it would have meant a $2 million cap hit next season, where as now he's off the books entirely after this year. They'd have saved about $4 million this year, but part of that would have to be used to sign a backup. I'd like him off the team but I can see why they'd decide it's not worth it to buy him out.

But I think Giguere has been really shrewd with some of his moves, like extending Bruno for 1.6 million (for a guy that scored 83 pts last year... a steal!) and resigning Leopold for 2 years at 1.5 million (if he's healthy he's worth a lot more). Even the Hannan and Smyth deals look pretty shrewd compared to some of the other contracts being dished out. I didn't really like resigning Arnason, but then McLean went to Florida and got a better contract, and all of the sudden that one looks pretty decent too.
Old 07-04-2007, 06:52 AM   #1742
Turf Shaman
Seasoned Veteran

Use in moderation.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Samuel Adams

Quote:

That was a great deal for the Kings. I guess it pays to be located in a place where all the players trophy wives want to live.
Old 07-04-2007, 07:07 AM   #1743
Killericon
Front 7, Please

Adopt-a-Bronco:
watermock

Quote:

Zues at 4 is overpayment. The rest were solid.

I hop Nolan can do something like this in Calgary.
Killericon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 05:22 AM   #1744
Jens1893
Ring of Famer

Flames sign Iginla and Regehr to 5 year extensions. Iginla´s is worth 7m per year, Regehr´s 4m. 2 down, 2 to go (Phaneuf and Kiprusoff).
Jens1893 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 01:30 AM   #1745
SoCalBronco
Nixonite

Adopt-a-Bronco:
D.J. Williams

We are working on a long term deal with Sid...heard something like 5 years to 8 years...Sid is going to take one for the team and take a discounted deal, something like 8.5 million...which is a huge bargain for the team...in fact the max of 10m would be a huge bargain (assuming the 10m is tied to a long deal), because the cap and the max will continue to rise. If you lock him in at 8.5 its almost criminal...in 2, 3 years, the max will prolly be around 13 million. If they can get him to sign a 8 year deal at 9 million per, that will be beyond awesome....although I've heard that he is willing to do that only if there are contractual guarantees that the team starts spending up to the cap immediately (i.e. starting next year), not waiting until the arena is built. I'm sure he's frustrated that the team still has not gotten any top notch wingers for himself and Geno...we are about 11 million under the ceiling and will prolly not be doing anything else this offseason unless a trade comes into play.

Old 07-06-2007, 01:56 AM   #1746
24champ
Bring back Kubiak!

Keep Calm and Chive on

Adopt-a-Bronco:
DomCasual

Quote:
We are working on a long term deal with Sid...heard something like 5 years to 8 years...Sid is going to take one for the team and take a discounted deal, something like 8.5 million...which is a huge bargain for the team...in fact the max of 10m would be a huge bargain (assuming the 10m is tied to a long deal), because the cap and the max will continue to rise. If you lock him in at 8.5 its almost criminal...in 2, 3 years, the max will prolly be around 13 million. If they can get him to sign a 8 year deal at 9 million per, that will be beyond awesome....although I've heard that he is willing to do that only if there are contractual guarantees that the team starts spending up to the cap immediately (i.e. starting next year), not waiting until the arena is built. I'm sure he's frustrated that the team still has not gotten any top notch wingers for himself and Geno...we are about 11 million under the ceiling and will prolly not be doing anything else this offseason unless a trade comes into play.

Speaking of Sid he looks good in a Kings uni...

EBAY stuff if you are interested Socal...

http://cgi.ebay.com/Sidney-Crosby-Ga...QQcmdZViewItem
Old 07-06-2007, 02:01 AM   #1747
SoCalBronco
Nixonite

Adopt-a-Bronco:
D.J. Williams

Quote:
Speaking of Sid he looks good in a Kings uni...

EBAY stuff if you are interested Socal...

http://cgi.ebay.com/Sidney-Crosby-Ga...QQcmdZViewItem
Haha...i remember that.....Malkin was also in a Kings uni last year.

When are you doing your JMFJ interview, dude? Did you get any word? I hope that guy doesnt just give you the replies......how busy can he be...I mean he's JMFJ and all, but come on, he can spare half an hour.

Old 07-06-2007, 03:06 AM   #1748
Dukes
Ring of Famer

Avs Sign Ryan Smyth!!

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/story?id=2922952

5yr $31 Million.

Finally something for us Avs fans to cheer about this offseason
Dukes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 03:55 AM   #1749
24champ
Bring back Kubiak!

Keep Calm and Chive on

Adopt-a-Bronco:
DomCasual

Quote:
Haha...i remember that.....Malkin was also in a Kings uni last year.

When are you doing your JMFJ interview, dude? Did you get any word? I hope that guy doesnt just give you the replies......how busy can he be...I mean he's JMFJ and all, but come on, he can spare half an hour.
That's put on hold for awhile, I have a couple answers to the questions but I'm extremely busy and haven't had the time to stop and call him. I literally have been all over Colorado this week vacationing and last night was at the Rockies game for the fireworks. Something for you to chew on regarding JMFJ via his buddy...
Quote:
The last 3 days I have been at the Johnson's house. In this time I learned Jack's routine everyday: Wake up early and meet the personal trainer at the gym, break for lunch, run a mile, and then workout again.

Jack and his trainer do upper body and lower body workouts on alternating days to keep him fresh and able to train every day. Jack literally trains every day of the week.

At different points he has worked out with 6-time gold medalist Michael Phelps and former All-American and Oakland Raider Tyrone Wheatley. There are machines in the gym that do not carry enough weight for Jack, forcing the trainer to add manual resistance to provide a sufficient challenge. I worked out with Jack all 3 days of my visit and can say that his training regimen is more rigorous than I have ever seen. You know how people watch Rocky and feel amped to go work out? I think Sylvester Stallone watched one of these workouts to get himself prepared to workout for the latest Rocky sequel. They are intense.

At one point, the trainer said "let's stop at 9 reps" and Jack refused, saying, "I am not done yet" before ripping off another 10. Jack is both extremely strong and fast; outrunning members of the Michigan track team AFTER his 3-hour weight lifting session.

The weekend was almost exclusively working out and spending time with FSN West, who is doing a story on Jack (set to air near the start of the regular season). I might make an appearance in that video if they choose to use an excerpt from my interview.

When I spoke with the trainer off to the side during a break (for us, not Jack, who does not take breaks during the sessions), I asked her if Jack's regimen was somewhat normal for an athlete. She laughed, saying, "I have worked with Olympic gold medalists and NFL first rounders, and none of them approach this kid's work ethic and raw strength and ability".

This morning involved a lighter session of jogging, stretching, and brief abdominal workouts. This evening, Jack returns to the full fledged upper body workout. As usual, the gym will be just him and the trainer. During this morning's session, Jack let me take a few videos of him for the purpose of posting on LGK. In the future, I will get videos of the more intense exercises to which I referenced above (i.e. heavy weight lifting). For now, these brief clips of the lighter workout will have to do.

The purpose of this post is to make you all realize what type of regimen Jack is on right now. He will literally slug me in the arm for going into this much detail about it here (the guy is shy about his training), but you all deserve to know just how ready this kid is going to be. He is determined to be the best defenseman in the game, and while that will not happen right away, I would not want to be the one telling him he can't be one day... and soon.

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v2...sDigi003 .flv

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v2...sDigi004 .flv
I do need to get in touch with him again soon but we are probably looking at the end of the month because I am off on vacation for awhile and Jack has prospects camp this coming sunday etc. I hope to get a sitdown interview when they come to Denver for the Preseason game. We'll see, its a ways down the road though.

EDIT:

BTW Socal ,JMFJ is still PISSED about that Bulis play.

Last edited by 24champ; 07-06-2007 at 03:59 AM..
Old 07-06-2007, 10:27 AM   #1750
Jens1893
Ring of Famer

Quote:
The way the cap is rising kinda makes me wonder why there was a lockout.
Jens1893 is offline   Reply With Quote