The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Other Sports Discussion > NHL
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 06-23-2007, 03:08 PM   #1651
Clockwork Orange
Persona Non Grata

I seen him!

I'm alright with what the Avs did overall. I'm warming up to the Shattenkirk pick, though I still would have rather seen them swing for the fence with Cherepanov or Esposito in round one.

They went heavy on college kids again and didn't take a Euro until the 6th round. They certainly addressed their organizational needs early (defense, goaltending), showing that, at least for this draft, their philosophy has shifted.

Here's a fun fact. Avs 2nd rounder Colby Cohen is Jeremy Bloom's cousin.
Clockwork Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2007, 05:13 PM   #1652
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara

SoCal, sounds like this Esposito could be something special. Another center though? I mean, how many more offensive players do we need? You think Malkin/Staal will be traded sometime?
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2007, 05:56 PM   #1653
Hercules Rockefeller
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
DJ Williams

I guess I can live with Alzner, he's a safe pick and will probably get 10 games with the big team before back down to his juniors team, but he's just another in a long line of 2nd pairing D-men that the Caps have. I did like that McPhee started today with 3 2nds in a really weak draft, and now has 3 2nds in next year's draft which is supposed to be much stronger. Doubt they'll have all three when the season starts though, I think they'll be used to trade for an RFA or two.
Hercules Rockefeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2007, 06:12 PM   #1654
SoCalBronco
Nixonite

Adopt-a-Bronco:
D.J. Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Requiem View Post
SoCal, sounds like this Esposito could be something special. Another center though? I mean, how many more offensive players do we need? You think Malkin/Staal will be traded sometime?
I think he will play exclusively at wing. I believe he has had some experience there too, which is good because we are dying for some talent on the wings. Malkin or Staal aren't going anywhere anytime soon, although eventually I suspect at least one of them will have to go, so Esposito acts as a bit of insurance for the team. I don't know whether he'll be able to crack the roster this year though, I think he might need another year in the Q, but who knows. I am definitely excited to see what he can eventually be on Sid's wing though. He's got alot of speed and offensive skill.

Stacy Coley.....Speed Kills!

Last edited by SoCalBronco; 06-23-2007 at 06:15 PM..
SoCalBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2007, 01:11 AM   #1655
Jori
US Olympian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clockwork Orange View Post
I'm alright with what the Avs did overall. I'm warming up to the Shattenkirk pick, though I still would have rather seen them swing for the fence with Cherepanov or Esposito in round one.

They went heavy on college kids again and didn't take a Euro until the 6th round. They certainly addressed their organizational needs early (defense, goaltending), showing that, at least for this draft, their philosophy has shifted.

Here's a fun fact. Avs 2nd rounder Colby Cohen is Jeremy Bloom's cousin.
I think the lack of a transfer agreement scared the Avs off, as it did with other teams. Mayorov also fell to the beginning of the fourth round. IMO Eller was the guy the Avs were targeting, but Shattenkirk was high on their list. Love the Patterson and Galiaradi picks. If the Avs had a stronger farm system, I would have been more comfortable taking a gamble. All in all, I think Colorado did well for themselves in this draft.
Jori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2007, 01:40 AM   #1656
Killericon
Front 7, Please

Adopt-a-Bronco:
watermock

The fact that the Penguins were lucky enough to nab Esposito makes me hate them a little.
Killericon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2007, 02:30 AM   #1657
24champ
Livin' the dream!

Keep Calm and Chive on

Adopt-a-Bronco:
DomCasual

Quote:
Originally Posted by killericon View Post
The fact that the Penguins were lucky enough to nab Esposito makes me hate them a little.
Don't worry JMFJ will take care him, Crosby, and Malkin. Right Socal?
24champ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2007, 02:38 AM   #1658
SoCalBronco
Nixonite

Adopt-a-Bronco:
D.J. Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by 24champbailey View Post
Don't worry JMFJ will take care him, Crosby, and Malkin. Right Socal?
Haha...we will see, I am glad I went to the game at Staples this year, it is prolly the last time I will be able to see the team for several years. Damn scheduling system......I really want to see 87 vs. 78.

Old 06-25-2007, 04:09 PM   #1659
Clockwork Orange
Persona Non Grata

I seen him!

SI's 5 Draft Winners

The winners and losers at the NHL Entry Draft? May as well ask for the Best Picture nominees of 2011 or the winning numbers for the Mega Millions lottery scheduled for four years from now. Really, it'll be at least that far down the line before we know which teams got it right in Columbus over the weekend.

Of course, everyone's got an opinion. Based on the post-draft thoughts of scouts who were asked to assess the proceedings based on which teams made the most of the day, five clearly impressed their peers with their choices.

5. San Jose Sharks

The Sharks entered the day with no first-round pick (having traded theirs to St. Louis in the Bill Guerin deal in February), but left with a pair: Logan Couture (#9) and Nick Petrecki (#28). GM Doug Wilson -- again proving himself to be a master of asset management -- acquired Toronto's first- and second-round picks in a draft day deal for Vesa Toskala, then packaged them with a third-rounder to St. Louis. That allowed him to move to the ninth pick and grab Couture, a smart two-way center from the Ottawa 67s. With Petrecki -- a massive and very ill-tempered blueliner -- still on the board, Wilson moved a pair of second-rounders to Washington for the pick needed to bulk up his defense.

The Sharks also grabbed a pair of goaltending prospects in the third round: Timo Pelmeier, the top-ranked German; and Tyson Sexsmith, a Canadian who led Vancouver to the Memorial Cup earlier this month.

4. Colorado Avalanche

The Avs came to Columbus hoping to address the two weakest areas in their system: defense and goaltending. They tabbed flashy Team USA captain Kevin Shattenkirk on Friday night, then used two of their three second-rounders to bag Colby Cohen, a 6-2, 200-pound bruiser whose 60 points led all USHL defenders in scoring, and Trevor Cann, who backstopped Canada to gold at the 2006 Under-18 championships. With their fourth-round selection, the Avs selected Kent Patterson, a very raw but promising 17-year-old who was ranked as the second-best goalie available by Red Line Report.

3. Columbus Blue Jackets

Going by all the kind words, the Jackets were marvelous hosts for the draft, but that doesn't mean they let their guests have all the fun. Jakub Voracek, ranked by several scouts as the most NHL-ready player in this class, fell into their laps at No. 7 after the Los Angeles Kings shook up the order by selecting defenseman Thomas Hickey at No. 4. Voracek's downfall may have been the "safe pick" label he drew in the weeks leading up to the draft, but as one scout said, "What's wrong with a sure thing?" He looks like a winger the Jackets can pencil into their top six after his remarkable performance in the Quebec League playoffs (24 points, 12 games).

The Jackets also added good value picks with undersized OHL sniper Stefan Legein (No. 37), project defenseman Will Weber (No. 53) and Maxim Mayorov (No. 94), a first-round talent whose stock plummeted due to the lack of a transfer agreement with the Russian federations.

2. St. Louis Blues

Thanks to smart asset manipulation at the February trade deadline, the Blues had three first-rounders to play with on Friday night, and five picks overall in the first 44 when GM Larry Pleau added a pair of second-rounders by trading down from ninth to 13th. After failing, unsurprisingly, to package the trio of first-rounders for Chicago's first overall choice, the Blues still managed to meet their goal of focusing on the primary need in their system by acquiring four scoring forwards: their top choice -- Danish scoring sensation Lars Eller -- plus late-blooming sniper David Perron (No. 26), Swedish winger Simon Hjalmarsson, and American forward Aaron Palushaj (No. 44), who had 22 goals and 67 points in 50 games for Des Moines of the USHL. The Blues also added a steady defender. Two-way American blueliner Ian Cole was available at No. 18.

There was some concern voiced that this was a safe slate of picks, but it also appears that the Blues added more quality talent than every other team except for ...

1. Chicago Blackhawks.

Without a doubt, this was a bold draft by the Hawks, who appeared to get the most value possible based on when each pick occured. Forget for a moment about first overall selection Patrick Kane -- that was the consensus choice and no one really deserves a pat on the back for making it.

Where Chicago really made hay was with their follow-up selections, particularly in the second round. Bill Sweatt (No. 38) and Akim Aliu (No. 56) were considered first-round talent in several corners, and could one day team up as part of an impressive third line. Sweatt, possibly the fastest player in the draft, could be an elite checker and penalty killer. Aliu, the Nigerian-born multi-linguist, has the chance to become a hard-hitting, if light-scoring, power forward. Maxime Tanguay, the brother of Calgary Flames sniper Alex, was a solid gamble at No. 69. Team USA's Josh Unice (No. 86) was named the top goaltender at the 2007 Under --18s. Richard Greenop (No. 156) is all about accountability. The 6-4, 215-pound center earned 19 fighting majors this past season as a rookie with the Windsor Spitfires.

While other teams chose to play it safe, the Hawks swung for the fences. It's possible that four years down the road we'll have to hand them the golden sombrero, but as of this morning, no team appears to have made a greater impact on their future..

Honorable mentions:

The Pittsburgh Penguins may have made the steal of the draft when formerly top-ranked Angelo Esposito fell into their laps at No. 20. The Pens added hulking center Keven Veilleux at No. 51 and grabbed Alex Grant (No. 118), the first-overall pick in the 2005 QMJHL draft

The Detroit Red Wings, with just five picks, managed to acquire three players who are thought to have first-round potential: powerplay QB Brendan Smith (No. 27), checking-line center Joakim Andersson (No. 88), and Zach Torquato, a feisty, character forward (No. 178).
Clockwork Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 04:51 PM   #1660
24champ
Livin' the dream!

Keep Calm and Chive on

Adopt-a-Bronco:
DomCasual

For Socal and Clavowhateverhisnameis

Old 06-28-2007, 05:02 PM   #1661
alkemical
Guerrilla Ontologist

rorrim|mirror

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Prima Materia

Thanks! Where/How'd you gank those?
alkemical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 05:08 PM   #1662
24champ
Livin' the dream!

Keep Calm and Chive on

Adopt-a-Bronco:
DomCasual

Quote:
Originally Posted by claviculasolomonis View Post
Thanks! Where/How'd you gank those?
http://www.sportsline.com/nhl/photos

You can make those into wallpapers...

Old 06-29-2007, 10:51 AM   #1663
alkemical
Guerrilla Ontologist

rorrim|mirror

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Prima Materia

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07179/797911-61.stm

Former Penguin Ron Francis voted into hockey hall
Thursday, June 28, 2007

Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Ron Francis, an integral part of the Penguins 1991 and 1992 Stanley Cup teams, has been voted into the Hockey Hall of Fame, hall officials announced today.

Francis, a center, scored 1,798 points, fourth all-time in NHL history. Francis played in the league for 23 years, playing with Hartford, Pittsburgh, Carolina and Toronto.

Also voted into the hall in Toronto were Mark Messier, the NHL's second-leading career scorer, Al MacInnis and Scott Stevens. NHL executive Jim Gregory was voted in as a builder.

The induction ceremony for the Hall, which allows a maximum of four players in each year, will be held Nov. 12.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

More details in tomorrow's Pittsburgh Post-Gazette.
alkemical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2007, 12:44 AM   #1664
SoCalBronco
Nixonite

Adopt-a-Bronco:
D.J. Williams

Penguins alarmed over delay in arena funding bill
Friday, June 29, 2007

By Mark Belko, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

If the state Legislature recesses for the summer without approving a bill critical to funding a new arena, the entire project could be in jeopardy, Gov. Ed Rendell and the Penguins said today.

"The money is there but the Penguins have said that if the bill isn't passed in this session it may delay construction for a year and that might put the deal in jeopardy," said Chuck Ardo, Mr. Rendell's spokeman.

He said the governor is lobbying state senators to act on the slots-backed legislation, which would provide $7.5 million a year for 30 years toward the arena construction, before leaving for the summer. Mr. Ardo said it would be an "absolute travesty" for the project to be jeopardized after state and local leaders worked so hard through the winter to cut a deal with the Penguins to build a new arena and keep the team in Pittsburgh.

In response to the statements, Penguins President David Morehouse said, "If this legislative session ends without arena funding in place the entire funding structure for the arena and the arena project would be in jeopardy."

A delay would prevent the Pittsburgh-Allegheny County Sports & Exhibition Authority from issuing $325 million in bonds to finance the construction. It also might allow interest rates to creep up, which could create a shortfall in the funding scheme crafted as part of the deal with the Penguins and conceivably could require a renegotiation of the terms.

The arena money is included in a new $1.6 billion fund for capital improvements financed by slot machine revenue. The legislation governing the fund has passed the House but is still awaiting action in the Senate.

State Sen. Jane Orie, R-McCandless, said today legislators outside of Pittsburgh and Philadelphia are hesitant to act on the funding bill until a state budget is passed. She said they consider the budget their top priority, not the bill funding the arena and an expansion of the Philadelphia convention center. Mr. Rendell is still battling with the Legislature on budget particulars and that fight may stretch beyond the weekend, the deadline for passing a budget.

Ms. Orie said she believes the funding bill has a good chance of passing once the budget has been resolved. She said Mr. Rendell was using the threat of the project being in jeopardy as "somewhat of a scare tactic" to try to force action.

"I believe it can get done. If the governor negotiated a budget instead of going on the radio it would make it a lot easier to get it done," she said, referring to Mr. Rendell's statements on a radio program this morning.

http://www.pittsburghpost-gazette.co.../798164-61.stm

Old 06-30-2007, 11:39 AM   #1665
Bronx33
lets go partner

Rumpson Rocks

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Woodyard

Avs have always had ways finding diamonds in the rough (now if we can quit trading them) a couples years from now.
Bronx33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2007, 11:55 AM   #1666
Bronx33
lets go partner

Rumpson Rocks

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Woodyard
Default Avs top 6 picks

Shatternkirk is an undersized, strong skating defenseman, with great puck handling skills. He was the captain of the US under-18 team and he has demonstrated tremendous leadership qualities. Shattenkirk possesses excellent offensive abilities, which make him a valuable asset on the power play. He is a solid puck moving defenseman who should fit in nicely in the new NHL patrolling the Avalanche blueline.

Colby Cohen A skilled offensive defenseman… has good puck skills and a good shot from the point… makes good passes and sees the ice well… needs to improve his defensive positioning and the consistency of his work ethic.

T.J. GALIARDI Galiardi is an instinctive playmaker with tremendous scoring capability. He is very smart, patient and creative with the puck. Those features along with his great on-ice vision help make him an efficient puck distributor who can easily find open teammates as well. One characteristic that makes Galiardi such an outstanding player is his ability to blend those brilliant puck skills with the mental side of the game. He can be deceptive and what the opposition is reading isn't always what he is thinking. While Galiardi is a strong competitor and has the puck skills needed to be successful, being more aggressive more often in his puck pursuits would not only make him more difficult to play against but also make him a much more valuable asset to his team. Galiardi is also a superb skater, combining power and speed with immense fluidness in his long strides. As he continues to develop his size and strength, the power and quickness in those strides will become more pronounced.

Dartmouth head coach Bob Gaudet's comments on Galiardi: "T.J. broke into the college ranks and developed very quickly. T.J. has got an offensive flare. The offensive side of the game appears to come very naturally to him as far as the understanding and hockey intellect side of it. When his body (development) catches up, T.J. is going to be even more dominant and really something special."

Trevor Cann 2006-07: The 5’11, Oakville, ON native posted respectable numbers this season with a 3.69 GAA and .909 save percentage over 62 games for a struggling Petes franchise, which was reflected in his 23-32-5 record. A last-minute addition to the Canadian World Junior camp, Cann performed admirably under duress all season and has the makings of a solid netminder. Trevor Cann is a smallish netminder with a bulldog mentality who battled hard all season long behind a young and inexperienced defence in Peterborough. Saw tons of rubber and occasionally got shelled, but always came back strong and never wilted on his team mentally. Though only 5-11, Cann is powerfully put together and hangs tough with traffic around the crease. He's quick both side-to-side and down-to-up, and plays his angles well. He'll need to improve his glove hand and rebound control to succeed at the next level.

Brad Malone Over the last week I've been trying to identify suitors for Cushing Prep rightwing Brad Malone. Malone is the cousin of NHLer Ryan Malone, and his dad Jim was a first round pick of the New York Rangers in 1980. Malone grew up in Miramichi, New Brunswick, and moved on to Cushing Academy as a sophomore last season. While Angelo Esposito drew much of the attention in the Quebec midget this past June, Malone was the 4th rated player, but because of his announced intention to go the NCAA route, he wasn't selected until the 4th round. At 6'3, he's a power winger with good puck skills, having potted 4 goals and an assist in 5 games for the Atlantic team during the recent World Under-17. He projects as a second round pick in the 2007 NHL draft. Malone is a junior, so will be a 2007 recruit. Last year he indicated an interest in going to school in the Boston area, but as I noted in my January 17th post, scholarship spots for the Boston schools are thin. Maine is reported to have interest, as do western schools Denver, North Dakota and Michigan.

KENT PATTERSON is really Red Line's choice as the least heralded sleeper goaltender pick of the draft. He's a stand-up netminder who battles hard and hates to lose. He brings competitive fire and plays with a reassuring confidence that is settling to teammates. Plus he's the youngest player in this or any other year's draft. With a Sept. 15 birthdate, if he were born just a few hours later, he would not be eligible until 2008. So he's got a lot more upside on the developmental curve.
Old 06-30-2007, 01:41 PM   #1667
Hercules Rockefeller
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
DJ Williams

Less than 24 hours until free agency starts (deals can be signed starting at 12 eastern tomorrow), and the Caps have to spend $6M or so just to get to the floor. Leonsis has also claimed that he wants to spend closer to the midpoint this year, which would be another $7-8M.
Old 06-30-2007, 01:59 PM   #1668
24champ
Livin' the dream!

Keep Calm and Chive on

Adopt-a-Bronco:
DomCasual

Kings have about 27 million in cap space...so we can sign just about anyone but at the same time we can't get tied up in long term contracts that will hamstring us from re-signing Kopitar and JMFJ etc.
Old 06-30-2007, 06:57 PM   #1669
Killericon
Front 7, Please

Adopt-a-Bronco:
watermock

Quote:
Originally Posted by 24champbailey View Post
Kings have about 27 million in cap space...so we can sign just about anyone but at the same time we can't get tied up in long term contracts that will hamstring us from re-signing Kopitar and JMFJ etc.
7 years for Forsberg, here you come!
Old 06-30-2007, 08:38 PM   #1670
24champ
Livin' the dream!

Keep Calm and Chive on

Adopt-a-Bronco:
DomCasual

Quote:
Originally Posted by killericon View Post
7 years for Forsberg, here you come!
heh.

The targets are Drury, Hannan, Stuart, Briere, and Gomez. I don't think Dean Lombardi will blow his wad on all of those players but my expectation is one of those guys will sign. There is also some rumblings of a big trade going down but we will see.
Old 06-30-2007, 09:35 PM   #1671
Bronx33
lets go partner

Rumpson Rocks

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Woodyard

I do not want to see drury in our conference! unless hes on our team again.
Old 07-01-2007, 05:18 AM   #1672
Killericon
Front 7, Please

Adopt-a-Bronco:
watermock

Well, it's begun, sort of.
Old 07-01-2007, 10:19 AM   #1673
Bronx33
lets go partner

Rumpson Rocks

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Woodyard
Default Kansas City promised NHL franchise?

http://www.canada.com/nationalpost/n...5-4e7a4da1a29a

The National Hockey League was prepared to deliver a team to William (Boots) Del Biaggio and Kansas City's Sprint Center as part of a plan to keep the Penguins in Pittsburgh, sources told the National Post yesterday.

Del Biaggio, now the frontrunner to purchase and relocate the Nashville Predators, and Tim Leiweke, president of Anschutz Entertainment Group (AEG), the company that operates the Sprint Center, aggressively pursued the Penguins late last year, offering the team a rent-free lease in the new arena.

But sources said the league, which didn't want to lose a value market in Pittsburgh, asked the Kansas City investors to back off their chase of the Penguins while indicating to the group it would be next in line for an NHL franchise.
Email to a friendEmail to a friendPrinter friendlyPrinter friendly
Font:

It is believed the commissioner and Leiweke, who was in England yesterday, had an informal arrangement that would have delivered the Predators to Del Biaggio and Kansas City had Canadian billionaire Jim Balsillie not stepped in with a richer offer and plans to move the team to Hamilton. Del Biaggio has an agreement with AEG to own and operate an NHL team in the Sprint Center.

Yesterday, the Post reported that Balsillie's US$238-million deal to buy the Nashville franchise from Wisconsin businessman Craig Leipold was off and that the Predators owner was expected to sign a binding, exclusive deal with Del Biaggio, who earlier had claimed he was no longer pursuing the Predators.

"I don't want to officially comment because there's a long way to go," Del Biaggio told the Kansas City Star yesterday. "I don't want to get caught up in all this like Balsillie did, and [after] what happened to me in Pittsburgh.

"If Jim Balsillie falls out, I'm sure Craig is going to look at all his options. I think it's all speculation right now. The reality is it's going to be a process."

Del Biaggio, a minority investor in the San Jose Sharks, has made two runs at the Penguins, the first in 2005 and the second last fall when Balsillie was also in the bidding.

The first attempt was scuttled when the Penguins won the draft lottery and the right to select Sidney Crosby, which prompted owner Mario Lemieux to take the team off the market.

The latter attempt only failed because Pennsylvania lawmakers struck a deal with a Detroit-based casino to finance construction of a new arena, which the Penguins claimed they needed to remain in Pittsburgh.

Still, the Kansas City effort -- AEG was offering free rent and a 50% share of the management agreement for the Sprint Center --left commissioner Gary Bettman impressed.

"Kansas City put itself on the map as an attractive, viable place for a future franchise, be it the NHL or NBA," Bettman told The Star in March. "I can't speak for the NBA, but no doubt if we were considering a relocation or expansion ? we would have to consider Kansas City."

In dismissing Balsillie's bid for Del Biaggio's -- and apparently choosing Kansas City over Hamilton -- Leipold might have cost himself about US$50-million. The Nashvile owner has reportedly lost US$70-million on the Predators in 10 years.

One source suggested yesterday that Leipold might be willing to take the reduced price because he believes Del Biaggio's purchase can be processed more quickly than a deal with Balsillie, and that time could save him from covering the club's operating losses this season.

"We are currently free to explore any and all options regarding the sale of the Nashville Predators," a club spokesman said in a deal yesterday. " However, until and unless there's a binding agreement in place, we don't plan to comment on the status of the Predators' ownership.

Another questions surrounds the NHL governors, who must approve sales and relocation requests, and how they feel about the Predators' dropping price tag. Balsillie's US$238-million bid would inflate the value of every other team, and clubs might also be in line to have their credit lines increased because bank appraisals take the most recent sales prices into account.
Old 07-01-2007, 11:03 AM   #1674
Bronx33
lets go partner

Rumpson Rocks

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Woodyard
Default Shattenkirk talks about being drafted

Thanks jori

http://www.acorn-online.com/news/pub...ts/19717.shtml

Talk about a life-changing experience.

While nervously sitting with his family at the 2007 National Hockey League Entry Draft at the Nationwide Arena in Columbus, Ohio, Kevin Shattenkirk finally got to hear the words that he’s been dreaming about.

Shattenkirk, 18, who was born in Greenwich and played on the Brunswick ice hockey team, was drafted 14th overall by the Colorado Avalanche.

During the draft, which was held on June 22, Shattenkirk, who is a cool customer on the ice, was a little tense.

“I was a little nervous, but the thing with the draft is that you can’t control what happens,” he told the Post. “I was very excited to be there and I was kind of getting anxious waiting for my name to be called.”

However, that all changed once he heard his name and realized he would be playing hockey for the Avs.

“It was an amazing feeling,” Shattenkirk said. “Hearing my name called made me tremendously happy — and my family was as well. Going to Colorado is great and it didn’t really sink in until later on.”

Shattenkirk, who played defense for Brunswick during the 2003-04 and 2004-05 seasons, said he classifies himself an offensive defenseman who shoots right.

“We are pleased to have been able to select Kevin as our first-round pick,” said Craig Billington, Colorado Avalanche director of player development. “We believe he is a very talented young man with a bright future ahead of him. Our best efforts will be put forward to make sure his development leads him to be a good professional hockey player.”

“I add a component to the team and add another defenseman to join the rush up ice,” Shattenkirk said. “I am also a power play defenseman, and that’s key as well.”

Playing hockey on a big stage is nothing new to Shattenkirk. He was a captain of the United States National Under-18 team during the 2006-07 season and scored 12 goals and 22 assists in 48 games. In addition, he represented the United States and helped the team take second place in the 2007 Under-18 World Championships in Finland.

A year earlier, he was a member of the United States National Under-17 team, scoring 13 goals and 20 assists in 53 games.

For Shattenkirk, there really wasn’t a tryout period prior to the NHL draft. The only times he was able to showcase his talents were during his high school career at Brunswick and while playing for Team USA.

“A lot of scouts come to different games and watch the kids play,” Shattenkirk said. “They were all over, especially during the International tournaments this year.”

From that, Shattenkirk was one of only 100 athletes invited to the National Hockey League Combine, which was held in Toronto at the Park Plaza Toronto Airport Hotel.
At the hotel, scouts interviewed Shattenkirk and also evaluated his physical ability.

While excited about playing out west, Shattenkirk will be spending his next few years back on the East Coast, as this winter season will be his first with Boston University, a storied hockey program that has produced talent such as New York Islanders Rick DiPietro and Tom Poti, Atlanta Thrasher Keith Tkachuk, Calgary Flame Tony Amonte and Trumbull native Chris Drury, a Buffalo Sabre.

“Boston University is going to be great,” Shattenkirk said. “We have a great recruiting class coming in and lot of returners from last year’s team, so I think over the next few years we’re going to be a contender for the national championship. It’s going to be a fun spot to play hockey.”
Old 07-01-2007, 01:10 PM   #1675
Hercules Rockefeller
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
DJ Williams

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=212410&hubname=

Joe Thornton signs a 3-year, $21.6M extension. Hopefully that will set the market.