The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion > Maniac Community Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 06-18-2007, 10:40 PM   #251
BroncoBuff

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MALIK+QUANTERUS

Big Guy ... Billy Clyde Puckett?

works for me.

Ding! Ding! Ding!

296 pounds today ... I'm droppin' em like bad habits! 25 pounds in 2 months 10 days.
BroncoBuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 10:51 PM   #252
smalltowngrll
Orange

Blue

Adopt-a-Bronco:
dortoh

Right on!!
smalltowngrll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 12:21 AM   #253
Billy Clyde Puckett
Billy=Semi Tough Big Guy

Looking down on KC, SD and Oakland

Adopt-a-Bronco:
John Elway

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoBuff View Post
Big Guy ... Billy Clyde Puckett?

works for me.

Ding! Ding! Ding!

296 pounds today ... I'm droppin' em like bad habits! 25 pounds in 2 months 10 days.
Semi Tough is the funniest, laugh out loud book ever written.

Great job BB
Billy Clyde Puckett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 12:24 AM   #254
smalltowngrll
Orange

Blue

Adopt-a-Bronco:
dortoh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Clyde Puckett View Post
Semi Tough is the funniest, laugh out loud book ever written.

Great job BB
Ok, you are not permitted to change your avatar now! Otherwise, I'll never know who you are!!
Old 06-19-2007, 01:21 AM   #255
BroncoBuff

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MALIK+QUANTERUS

That's how I knew who it was
Old 06-19-2007, 09:52 AM   #256
Billy Clyde Puckett
Billy=Semi Tough Big Guy

Adopt-a-Bronco:
John Elway

Well I figures that since 95% of what I post here is pure BS, I might as well be named after a great BSer.
Old 06-19-2007, 12:59 PM   #257
Old Dude
Super Moderator

Consultant

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoBuff View Post

Ding! Ding! Ding!

Right on track! Keep it up. You should have at least one more solid -10 pound month before the rate starts to slow.
Old Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 03:22 PM   #258
DomCasual
This one's for Pat!

Shameless Homer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

I didn't pay attention to this thread until now, so sorry for getting into the game late.

I'm down 14 pounds in two months. I was 206 two months ago, and I'm 5' 10". I have no idea why I gained weight - I really don't eat much. But that's the most I've ever weighed. Ideally, I'd like to end up about 170.

So now, I'm 192. My secret is vomiting. I eat as much as I want, and then purge it.

Just kidding. I am just generally paying more attention to what I eat, and completely eliminating late night food. We've just gotten done with two vacations (one week each), so I probably slipped a little. But I'm back on the program.
DomCasual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 09:24 PM   #259
Sassy
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Eddie Royal

Question for you guys...I've been riding bike and doing water aerobics 5-6 times per week...with water aerobics on M and W and biking the other days. My weight loss seems to have tapered off even though every so often I splurge and eat whatever I want for that day to try and hike the metabolism back up. What can I do to lose more weight? I've been cutting out the bread/pasta and eating more protein like yogurt, cheese, meat, nuts. I've also been adding flax to smoothies for protein and drinking more water. Suggestions?
Sassy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 09:58 PM   #260
DomCasual
This one's for Pat!

Shameless Homer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

The thing that always works for me I got from Bill Phillips' Body for Life program, and that is six small meals a day. And when I say small, I mean just enough to knock down my hunger, but not nearly enough so that I feel full. I might eat a protein bar for one meal, and maybe even just some yogurt for another. In the evening, I eat a relatively sensible meal, and I am done eating for the day.

I can starve myself, and not lose a pound. As soon as I shift to the several small meals a day approach, the weight starts steadily falling off - maybe a pound a week.
Old 06-19-2007, 10:13 PM   #261
Sassy
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Eddie Royal

Yeah...that's what I have been doing too...and it worked for awhile...but now it just seems like I'm at a standstill.
Old 06-19-2007, 10:42 PM   #262
smalltowngrll
Orange

Blue

Adopt-a-Bronco:
dortoh

Sassy...try not to concentrate too much on the scale.

1. This could be due to you bulding muscle at the same rate you are losing fat. Fat has more mass than muscle (it's bigger for the same weight). So, if that is the case, you will lose inches but not lose 'weight' per se.

2. You've hit a plataeu. Calculate what your caloric intake is and what you use in your workouts. The less you weight the less calories you burn. So, when you hit that plateau, you may have to shake things up a bit. Your body might have gotten used to the exercise you are doing and not burning as many calories it used to when you started it. So, you have to increase the distance and level of exertion plus you may have to decrease our caloric intake again. (don't go lower than 1200 calories per day for a woman, though).

Typically when you do the same excercise routine week after week, your body gets used to it and compensates for it. Typically it is suggested that you switch up your routine every 4 weeks. It means that you might just need to add more hills, a different excercise such as a run, aerobics, elliptical, etc. Also, you might need to add a weight training routine as well. Try different things.
Old 06-19-2007, 10:46 PM   #263
Sassy
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Eddie Royal

Quote:
Originally Posted by smalltowngrll View Post
Sassy...try not to concentrate too much on the scale.

1. This could be due to you bulding muscle at the same rate you are losing fat. Fat has more mass than muscle (it's bigger for the same weight). So, if that is the case, you will lose inches but not lose 'weight' per se.

2. You've hit a plataeu. Calculate what your caloric intake is and what you use in your workouts. The less you weight the less calories you burn. So, when you hit that plateau, you may have to shake things up a bit. Your body might have gotten used to the exercise you are doing and not burning as many calories it used to when you started it. So, you have to increase the distance and level of exertion plus you may have to decrease our caloric intake again. (don't go lower than 1200 calories per day for a woman, though).

Typically when you do the same excercise routine week after week, your body gets used to it and compensates for it. Typically it is suggested that you switch up your routine every 4 weeks. It means that you might just need to add more hills, a different excercise such as a run, aerobics, elliptical, etc. Also, you might need to add a weight training routine as well. Try different things.
My problem is there isn't much else I LIKE doing...but different aerobic classes I can do...thought I'd try that. The bike this is starting to be hard on my knees. Great advice though!
Old 06-19-2007, 10:53 PM   #264
smalltowngrll
Orange

Blue

Adopt-a-Bronco:
dortoh

Do you have an elliptical machine? What about getting involved in some sort of class or group sport? Soccer? Check out and see if they have any boot camp classes there specifically for women? Kickboxing class?
Old 06-20-2007, 11:29 AM   #265
Old Dude
Super Moderator

Consultant

Quote:
Originally Posted by DomCasual View Post
I didn't pay attention to this thread until now, so sorry for getting into the game late.

I'm down 14 pounds in two months. I was 206 two months ago, and I'm 5' 10". I have no idea why I gained weight - I really don't eat much. But that's the most I've ever weighed.
Dom, didn't you have an addition to the family in the last year or so? For some weird reason, many guys go through some sort of "sympathetic" weight gain when that happens.

------------

Anyway, I'm holding steady now at 198, which is a loss of about 57 pounds in slightly less than 9 months. Just like you mentioned, I tend to eat a little more often, but in much smaller portions.

I was planning on doing a lot of bike riding this summer, but that hasn't panned out for various reasons. I'd still like to drop three more pounds to make it an even -60.
Old 06-20-2007, 12:51 PM   #266
BroncoBuff

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MALIK+QUANTERUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Dude View Post
Right on track! Keep it up. You should have at least one more solid -10 pound month before the rate starts to slow.
Good deal ... thanks. I'm kinda bracing for that levelling off.

I suppose I'd be reasonably satisfied at 250. I am 6'6" after all, and at 45 I guess I can't expect skinny like my 20s anymore ... but I'm still shooting for 230.

The weird part is, I'm not being tested at all. I feel no pangs of hunger - and no longings when I drive by KFC. When I smell a nice restaurant it is enticing, but so far I'm just walking by. When does the ghrelin kick in? The primitive hormone that tells a human who's lost lots of weight, "you're STARVING! Stop everything and EAT! EAT! EAT!!!"
Old 06-20-2007, 01:07 PM   #267
DomCasual
This one's for Pat!

Shameless Homer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Quote:
Dom, didn't you have an addition to the family in the last year or so? For some weird reason, many guys go through some sort of "sympathetic" weight gain when that happens.

------------

Anyway, I'm holding steady now at 198, which is a loss of about 57 pounds in slightly less than 9 months. Just like you mentioned, I tend to eat a little more often, but in much smaller portions.

I was planning on doing a lot of bike riding this summer, but that hasn't panned out for various reasons. I'd still like to drop three more pounds to make it an even -60.
It's funny - I've kind of joked about that with my wife. I've told her that I really would be at about 8% body fat, but my first priority is keeping her confidence up. She always gives me the same dumb look, like she's not going for it. Some thanks I get for being selfless!
Old 06-20-2007, 01:12 PM   #268
DomCasual
This one's for Pat!

Shameless Homer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Quote:

Sorry, I missed the last part of your post. That's what worries me. I'm having knee surgery (that I keep putting off - it's now set for July 25th), and I am going to be almost completely inactive for awhile. I will be able to do stuff to build strength and flexibility in the knee, but that won't do much for the rest of my body. I really don't want to balloon up.

57 pounds in 9 months is great, though - just a little over a pound a week, so it shouldn't be as hard to keep it off when you're done.
Old 06-20-2007, 07:00 PM   #269
REB
LP.org/L4L.org

"This one's for John!" 3:16

Felt real tired this morning for some reason and it was a very dreary gloomy morning here today so I had to dig deep to make myself get my workout in. I'm glad I did.
REB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 11:54 PM   #270
Billy Clyde Puckett
Billy=Semi Tough Big Guy

Adopt-a-Bronco:
John Elway

Hang in there Reb. Put something on the radio or TV that makes you forget what you are doing. Mike and Mike work for me I get so Pi33ed at them I go over my time somedays.
Old 06-22-2007, 01:24 PM   #271
Old Dude
Super Moderator

Consultant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Clyde Puckett View Post
Great job everyone!!!

Old Dude it won't be long before you buy that convertible and all the young girls will whistle at you as you drive down the street.
Got whistled at by a (relatively) young blonde in a red convertible on Broadway yesterday, and immediately thought of your post.

There is a God.
Old 06-22-2007, 07:53 PM   #272
Sassy
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Eddie Royal

I said forget the "diet/low carbs" for today...I ordered a Chicken Bacon Artichoke Pizza from Papa Murphy's...but it was a really thin crust and I didn't eat as much as I wanted too! It was awesome!

Have a great race this weekend STG!!! Good Luck!
Old 06-22-2007, 11:35 PM   #273
BroncoBuff

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MALIK+QUANTERUS

More trouble at the Seattle Downtown YMCA today.

The hallways have lots of photos there, and for the most part I supress my rage at their self-important preening. But the one below was just too much. Take a close look ... notice? These dumb bastards win a couple of basketball championships, and suddenly they're so full of themselves they decide they can write just "'98, 99, 00" ... like they're the only team that will ever win a Pacific Northwest Championship.

LOOK AT THEIR SMIRKING FACES!!! ... their words BURN in my ears: "Not but a moment, Jebediah, thee shant write out EIGHTEEN and ninety-nine, not but shorten the inscription to a mere 99." "Alas, ye speak truth, Caleb. There shant but ever be such a championship again without our stout and hardy sextet upon the wooden floor!"

Okay, I get it ... these guys are still crappin' outdoors, but suddenly they have a stranglehold on what we in 1999 and 2000 can accomplish, huh? I'll tell you one thing, WE figured out to cut a HOLE in the bottom of the bushel basket so we do NOT have to "fetch but the ladder after each basket that be suceessfull."

Dumb bastards.

I complained at the front desk, but they said there was nothing they could do.

Figures.

Old 06-22-2007, 11:51 PM   #274
smalltowngrll
Orange

Blue

Adopt-a-Bronco:
dortoh

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotSassy View Post
I said forget the "diet/low carbs" for today...I ordered a Chicken Bacon Artichoke Pizza from Papa Murphy's...but it was a really thin crust and I didn't eat as much as I wanted too! It was awesome!

Have a great race this weekend STG!!! Good Luck!
Thanks!! I'm a little nervous! I've had so many carbs today! Pasta for lunch and dinner! Getting ready to head off to sleep soon! I'm excited!
Old 06-26-2007, 11:22 PM   #275
RhymesayersDU
Go Broncos, Nuggets, Rox

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ty Lawson

So... Hell may have frozen over... But I love running.

Seriously. I would have never ever thought that I'd say this, or feel it or whatever. I've always dreaded anything and everything that has to do with running, cardio, etc.

But in the past couple weeks, it has become the highlight of my workouts, and I'm running even on off days. Perhaps it has something to do with losing some weight, dropping a whole belt size, actually seeing results, etc.

I'm sure some of you are probably way ahead of me on running and stuff, but seriously, the treadmill rules.
RhymesayersDU is offline   Reply With Quote