The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Other Sports Discussion > NHL
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 06-07-2007, 01:03 AM   #1501
Hercules Rockefeller
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
DJ Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by claviculasolomonis View Post
pfffffft - Mr. Crosby's name will be on the cup next year.
McDonald's in KC plan to sell special Crosby cups with extra value meals next year?
Hercules Rockefeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 01:16 AM   #1502
chadta
Atomic Meatball Keeper

Adopt-a-Bronco:
The Mc Rib

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hercules Rockefeller View Post
McDonald's in KC plan to sell special Crosby cups with extra value meals next year?

congrats john pez an the other ducks fans, im not one, but i enjoyed watching them play, kinda reminded me of what hockey used to be like, ahhhhhh the good old days.

Now ive gotta go edit my sig pic for al wilson for next season, speaking of al, he shot his mouth of in here expecting everybod to kiss ottawa ass when they took out buffalo, where is he now ?
chadta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 01:27 AM   #1503
Pezman
Livin the dream

Andy did you hear about this one?

Adopt-a-Bronco:
DJ Williams

Meh, be happy for the wifey of mine Chadra
My blood still runs Avs crimson red!

I am happy for Teemu and Neidermeyer's brother for finally getting a cup. And for the real Ducks fans who were supporting the team through the years. Its the bandwagon scum, Brian Burke and a few others I'm wishing didnt get the glory.
Pezman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 02:27 AM   #1504
Jori
US Olympian

Congrats to the Ducks; phenominal run.

I'm sure Brian Burke's head will double in size during the off-season. Sucks it didn't work out in Colorado with Selanne, but despite the disappointing results in 03-04, I am happy for him. Great to see "Special Nieds" get his ring. Congrats to former Avs draftee Sami Pahlsson. We hardly knew you in Colorado. You were the key piece in the Ray Bourque trade. We got our Cup in 01, you got yours this year and the Bruins look like the real fools

NHL Draft is two weeks from Friday...here's to Nick Petrecki, Billy Sweatt or Lars Eller donning a burgundy and royal blue sweater

Last edited by Jori; 06-07-2007 at 02:29 AM..
Jori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 02:37 AM   #1505
Clockwork Orange
Persona Non Grata

I seen him!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jori View Post
NHL Draft is two weeks from Friday...here's to Nick Petrecki, Billy Sweatt or Lars Eller donning a burgundy and royal blue sweater
Here's to hoping the Avs break tradition and use some of that extra ammo to trade up.
Clockwork Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 03:15 AM   #1506
broncocalijohn
Famer of Rings

I said Do It!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Simon Fletcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtbrncofn View Post
Huh, that was disappointing. Oh well, congrats bcj.
I will let Burke know that you are proud of him. Just got back from the game and was sweeeeet. I even got my ticket upgrade and used my trick to get someone in before the 3rd period for $100. He offered $200 but I felt in the giving mood. He came all alone from Utah just to try to get into the game. There he was looking through the window getting ready to watch the 3rd period when I saved him from the outside looking in. See Pez, I could have got you in cheap.

24, If AEG keeps spreading their company all around, you can guarantee that they wont give a rat's A$$ about getting the Kings to the level that the Ducks are on. You are going to continue to be like what the Disney Clan thought of their Ducks team.
broncocalijohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 03:22 AM   #1507
24champ
Bring back Kubiak!

Keep Calm and Chive on

Adopt-a-Bronco:
DomCasual

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncocalijohn View Post

24, If AEG keeps spreading their company all around, you can guarantee that they wont give a rat's A$$ about getting the Kings to the level that the Ducks are on. You are going to continue to be like what the Disney Clan thought of their Ducks team.
John, normally I would get into it but tonight I just don't feel like it...congrats though.
24champ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 10:12 AM   #1508
chadta
Atomic Meatball Keeper

Adopt-a-Bronco:
The Mc Rib

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clockwork Orange View Post
Here's to hoping the Avs break tradition and use some of that extra ammo to trade up.
honestly i dunno that there is anything worth trading up for, the flyers have the 2nd pick, cuz they were so bad last year they even lost the draft, and there is no real clear cut choice for them to make, i wouldnt mind trading down.
Old 06-07-2007, 01:23 PM   #1509
Jori
US Olympian

I agree. This is a good draft to have multiple picks as there is good depth, but not the super high end talent of the last few drafts. I'll be very happy if the Avs can get Petrecki, Sweatt or Eller at #14. Even Ryan McDonaugh would be a nice pick.
Jori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 02:34 PM   #1510
chadta
Atomic Meatball Keeper

Adopt-a-Bronco:
The Mc Rib

notice i fixed my sig
Old 06-07-2007, 08:43 PM   #1511
24champ
Bring back Kubiak!

Keep Calm and Chive on

Adopt-a-Bronco:
DomCasual

Quote:
Alright, so I am going to revisit this post and break it down for you about AEG and mangement, John. Yes AEG is a real estate company and they are always looking for assets to acquire. They operate all over the world, including the Arena the O2 in London that the Kings and Ducks will open the season at.

Now the jury is still out on AEG and I feel the BIGGEST mistake they made was letting Tim Lewieke be in charge of the Kings. Dave Taylor had to seek approval for trades, signings etc from Lewieke who really has no hockey sense. I am almost positive that most in this thread know more about hockey than Mr. Lewieke. Now before AEG came along we had serious problems with Ownership and while McNall was and still is a crooked SOB, he was the only one that actually cared about fielding a championship team. Now bag on McNall all you want, but actually if it weren't for McNall the Ducks would not be in Anaheim period and would not be hoisting the Cup last night. So thank the Kings for letting you guys set up shop down the I-5. I hope you Duck fans Appreciate what the Cup means, even though I doubt 99% of Duck fans know what it stands for.

Back to AEG, they bought the Kings and while in the process of buying the team, they acquire land in Downtown LA and built what is now the Staples Center and also built the state of the art practice facility now called the Toyota Sports Center in 2000 which has two NHL size rinks at the facility. Not only did they completely build new arenas and facilities for the Kings, they went out and bought minor league teams. First being the Manchester Monarchs and second the Reading Royals. They pumped in a lot of money in this organization and I am not sure who else would have done the same.

Then last year the Kings fired Dave Taylor and hired Dean Lombardi. Tim Lewieke is not in charge anymore, thank god. Dean has full control over the organization. Dean actually interviewed everyone in the organization (including the equipment manager etc) and wanted to find out just what the hell made this Kings team fall from the top of the Western Conference in the middle of last season to not making the playoffs. So now Dean canned a lot of people and brought in people that would fit in with his philosophy, and he is still working on that to this day mainly with the scouts in Europe and the whole idea is to be 100% ready by the 2008 draft.

They are prepared for this coming draft, but Dean has stated that the scouting dept. isn't where he wants it to be yet. So Dean is all about acquiring assets and building for the future, which explains his moves. Now I know Cloutier and Blake's contract were pathetic but not every GM is perfect. After evaluating the roster and deciding that it isn't going to compete for a championship, Dean went out and got a first round pick (Trevor Lewis), top prospect in Patrick Sullivan, Generational talent in Jack MF Johnson, a born leader in Marc Andre-Cliche, and a gigantic pile of draft picks for the next 2 coming drafts. All those moves have made the Kings the NUMBER ONE organization in the HF organizational rankings. Never mind that our top 3 points leaders are under 25( Kopitar 19 years of age, Cammy is 24, Frolov is 24. Dustin Brown is another good solid player who is 23. How many teams do you know that have that much young talent? Penguins? Not to mention we have the number four pick in this draft. Here is the total number of picks in these two upcoming drafts (note: Dean is gearing up for the 2008 draft, considered to be a very deep draft.)

Quote:

1: LA
2: acquired from Vancouver for Sopel (LA's choice 2007 or 2008)
2: acquired from Dallas in the Norstrom/Push trade
3: acquired from Dallas in the Norstrom/Push trade
4: acquired from Calgary for Conroy
5: acquired from Tampa Bay for Ward
5: LA
6: LA
7: LA
7: acquired from Columbus during the 2006 draft

2007 summary

1 1st
2 2nds (possible)
1 3rd
1 4th
2 5ths
1 6th
2 7ths

1: LA
1: acquired from Dallas in the Norstrom/Push trade
2: LA
2: acquired from Vancouver for Sexy Sopel (LA's choice 2007 or 2008)
2: acquired from Calgary for Conroy
3: LA
4: LA
4: acquired from Tampa Bay for Munce
4: acquired from Vancouver for Sexy Sopel
5: LA
6: LA
7: LA

2008 summary

2 1sts
3 2nds (possible)
1 3rd
3 4ths
1 5th (Possibly given up for Heward. Conditions unknown)
1 6th
1 7th
I haven't even gotten to the Kings Cap situation, which is great and should be fine to resign Kopitar, JMFJ etc in the future. Now looking at the Ducks and from what I hear you guys should brace for some retirements. Selanne was weeping like it was his last game and he is 37, Pronger and Neidermayer have a few seasons left, depending on whether Scott is going to retire or not. I know some of you are like what? Check this out-

Quote:
Two hours after the game, the Niedermayer brothers still in full uniform appeared with their families and sat on the bench to soak in the moment. After a while, Scott and his wife went out to center ice for a private moment. There have been whispers that Niedermayer might consider retirement, and the way he was capturing that moment with his wife really gave me reason to think about that.
Now, I don't expect the Ducks to sink into mediocrity next season, they'll still be good. But 2-3 seasons down the line when we're looking much stronger, I doubt the path will look as rosey for the Ducks at that time. It's gonna be hard for them to retain all of their top players unless they all sign for the minimum and refuse to test the market. Giguere, Neidermeyer, Pronger, Getzlaf, Perry, Selanne. That's a good amount of great players that are earning their pay raises as we speak.

Last edited by 24champ; 06-07-2007 at 08:47 PM..
Old 06-07-2007, 11:20 PM   #1512
Al Wilson
Perennial Pro-bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadta View Post
Now ive gotta go edit my sig pic for al wilson for next season, speaking of al, he shot his mouth of in here expecting everybod to kiss ottawa ass when they took out buffalo, where is he now ?
I've always been here. Why would I not reply? The Sens lost to a better team, and I'm not gonna cry about it. Keep up with the sigs because I really don't mind them at all. I know you're hurt that your pathetic flyers are a bunch of losers that sucked all year long, so jealousy is expected. I'm proud of the Sens. Everyone thought they would not be in the playoffs by December, and they actually ended up going to the Finals. I thought Alfie deserved conn smythe even though they lost. Gratz to ducks fans (if there is any hehe), your team deserved to win.
Al Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 11:04 AM   #1513
Hercules Rockefeller
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
DJ Williams

That's the first time I've ever seen Jack Johnson called a generational talent. He's a future #1, but he's not a generational player.
Old 06-08-2007, 10:14 PM   #1514
24champ
Bring back Kubiak!

Keep Calm and Chive on

Adopt-a-Bronco:
DomCasual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hercules Rockefeller View Post
That's the first time I've ever seen Jack Johnson called a generational talent. He's a future #1, but he's not a generational player.
He is a generational talent when I see people over at the HFBoards saying his style of game is like Ray Bourque's and he will be a superstar. I tend to think his game is more on par like Scott Stevens, with better offensive skills. How many NHL teams do you know that offer a college player a boatload of money and promising playing time as the NHL team gets ready for the playoffs? It happened with Jack Johnson and the Hurricanes last year.

And also how many NHL players do you know....

That eat with Lions...

Part the Red Sea....

Climb the empire state building....

stars in sci-fi thrillers....

Has his own video game...

(for SOCAL!)Scares the crap out of Sid the Kid....

Clearly I am right...he is a generational talent.
Old 06-10-2007, 05:02 PM   #1515
24champ
Bring back Kubiak!

Keep Calm and Chive on

Adopt-a-Bronco:
DomCasual

Now THIS is sad...one being there was no Parade, just some lame BBQ hosted by weinershnitzel. Two being that people in Anaheim don't know who the Ducks are. Three the Ducks get about one minute of coverage on the local news while the rest is devoted to Paris Hilton.

Quote:
Fame is fleeting for the Ducks
By JOHN NADEL, AP Sports Writer
June 7, 2007

ANAHEIM, Calif. (AP) -- The Anaheim Ducks had their moment in the Southern California spotlight. Because of Paris Hilton, that's pretty much all it was -- a moment.

Hilton's release from jail early Thursday subjugated the Ducks to afterthought status just hours after they reached the pinnacle of their sport -- winning the Stanley Cup.

That's the curse of being a team struggling for an identity outside of its hard-core following, and in an area where celebrity rules.

Star goalie Jean-Sebastien Giguere admitted he can go to dinner or hit the mall without much fanfare. Teammate Ryan Getzlaf said Canada is "a whole different world" when it comes to the popularity of his sport.

"I live right there and I didn't even know they were playing. That's sad," said Sherrie Robertson, a 34-year-old housewife lined up for the $6 early-bird special at the All-Cloth Anaheim West Car Wash on Thursday. "Southern California and ice, they just don't mix, do they?"

Perhaps a bit more now after the Ducks beat the Ottawa Senators 6-2 on Wednesday night to win the NHL best-of-seven championship series in five games and become the first California team to win the cherished Cup.

"I have a bunch of friends who never watch hockey, and now they're watching it, calling me after the game," Robert Isambert, a 20-year-old student from nearby San Clemente, said some three hours before Wednesday night's game as he scrambled to buy a ticket in the parking lot.

The Ducks sold out their final 22 regular-season home games and all 13 home playoff games.

Giguere tried to be diplomatic when asked about the difference between the people in Anaheim and Ottawa.

"It's not the same. Ottawa is such a small town," he said. "They have only one professional team. But hockey's well and alive in this part of the country."

Giguere paused when asked about fan recognition when he's out and about.

"A little bit," he replied. "It's getting more and more."

Getzlaf said much the same thing.

"It's gotten better throughout the year. The NHL's so big in Canada; I'm sure we would be recognized there," he said.

Athletes like the Lakers' Kobe Bryant, the Angels' Vladimir Guerrero or the Dodgers' Derek Lowe, for example, would find it impossible to spend much time in public without being approached by numerous fans.

"Nobody in California cares about hockey," Brian Mylius, a construction worker from Buffalo, N.Y., said near Venice beach. "It's a great sport, but people don't get it. All they want to talk about is the Lakers and Kobe."

Sean O'Donnell, who played for the Los Angeles Kings before joining the Ducks, doesn't see it that way at all.

"Everyone talks about 'hockey market this,' and "hockey market that.' The energy around Orange County for this, and the Kings fans when the Kings were doing well, it's just a great hockey market," he said. "There's so many people here that you're not going to get the same energy you would in a small Canadian city, but it's a great hockey place and I'm so happy I've been able to play here for eight or nine years now with L.A. and the Ducks."

In downtown Los Angeles, attorney Mike Colmenarez said he believes Anaheim's championship will give hockey a boost locally.

"I haven't been to a hockey game in more than 20 years, but we'll probably go see a Ducks game now," said Colmenarez, a resident of Orange County. "Anaheim is a small market. That's why the Angels call themselves the Los Angeles Angels."

The Angels were known as the Anaheim Angels nearly five years ago when they won their first and only World Series championship before being honored with a parade from the hockey arena to the parking lot of Angels Stadium.

There won't be a parade for the Ducks -- instead, a two-hour rally is planned Saturday night at the Honda Center.

Jan Matson said at the Anaheim car wash that her neighbors went wild with lawn signs and car decorations when the Angels made the playoffs two years ago.

Not so for the Ducks.

"In our neighborhood, the Angels are a much bigger deal," she said.
Old 06-10-2007, 05:24 PM   #1516
Hercules Rockefeller
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
DJ Williams

Any of last year's top 5 would have been the clear-cut #1 overall if available this year.
Old 06-11-2007, 03:49 AM   #1517
24champ
Bring back Kubiak!

Keep Calm and Chive on

Adopt-a-Bronco:
DomCasual

Saw this coming a mile away...

They've only had it for a few days, but the Ducks have already
managed to put a good-sized dent into the "Holy Grail of Hockey".
The puncture was reportedly caused by Chris Pronger's elbow.

Ducks owners display damaged goods.

Old 06-11-2007, 04:18 PM   #1518
Mtbrncofn
Ring of Famer

Geez, way to go, Ducks. Good Lord, man!
Mtbrncofn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 06:00 PM   #1519
bronco militia
OMG...this is horrible!

THE GREATEST

ha ha

check out the logo....no photoshop required

bronco militia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 12:32 AM   #1520
Mtbrncofn
Ring of Famer

Bwahaahahahahaha!
Mtbrncofn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 02:53 AM   #1521
Tredici
Ring of Famer

I lived/worked in the LA Area for about 8 years. Got a note from one of my friends there yesterday who said. A Stanley Cup for Southern Cal and he only knew one person who was mildly interested. -- Another one of our old colleagues who is a King's fan...

I remember we had seats to the old Forum. When the Lakers or Kings were winning our phones rang all the time. When they were losing we literally couldn't give the tickets away.

Oh well, the good thing is, while a lot of people jump on the bandwagon because they hear theres a winner in the neighborhood the sport will grab ahold of a few of them and they'll cheer or curse from this point on.
Tredici is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 04:59 AM   #1522
broncocalijohn
Famer of Rings

I said Do It!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Simon Fletcher

Ducks Sign Moen and Parros
June 12, 2007
The Anaheim Ducks announced today that the National Hockey League (NHL) club has signed left wing Travis Moen and right wing George Parros each to two-year contract extensions. Both players are now under contract through the end of the 2008-2009 season. Per club policy, no financial terms of the deals were disclosed.
Moen, 25 (4/6/82), appeared in all 21 games of Anaheim’s 2007 Stanley Cup Championship run, scoring 7-5=12 points with 22 penalty minutes (PIM). The Stewart Valley, Sask. native finished T-1st on the Ducks in game-winning goals (3) during the playoffs and T-2nd in the NHL. In 82 regular season games with the Ducks, Moen scored 11-10=21 points with 101 PIM, setting career highs in goals, assists and points.
Moen was acquired from Chicago in exchange for Michael Holmqvist on July 30, 2005. He was drafted by Calgary in the fifth round (155th overall) of the 2000 NHL Entry Draft.
Parros, 27 (12/29/79), played in five games for the Ducks in the 2007 playoffs, going scoreless. In 32 regular season games for the Ducks, he scored 1-0=1 point with a team-leading 102 penalty minutes (PIM). The Ducks posted an overall record of 20-8-4 this season when Parros appeared in a game.
Parros was acquired from Colorado with future considerations in exchange for a second-round draft pick in the 2007 Entry Draft on Nov. 13, 2007. Parros was originally drafted by the Los Angeles Kings in the eighth round (222nd overall) of the 1999 NHL Entry Draft.
Old 06-13-2007, 05:10 AM   #1523
broncocalijohn
Famer of Rings

I said Do It!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Simon Fletcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tredici View Post
I lived/worked in the LA Area for about 8 years. Got a note from one of my friends there yesterday who said. A Stanley Cup for Southern Cal and he only knew one person who was mildly interested. -- Another one of our old colleagues who is a King's fan...

I remember we had seats to the old Forum. When the Lakers or Kings were winning our phones rang all the time. When they were losing we literally couldn't give the tickets away.

Oh well, the good thing is, while a lot of people jump on the bandwagon because they hear theres a winner in the neighborhood the sport will grab ahold of a few of them and they'll cheer or curse from this point on.
Champ you rip the OC on our ducks but i wonder what LA would be like. First, if a parade was to be had, they would have to cancel it as they would still be cleaning the streets from bonfires, tipped cars, broken glass, trash (probably there b4 the game anyways) and scoop up the murdered. Cops had no problem after the win and very few problems when the Angels won it. Yes, Denver came out with huge numbers for the Avs. Hardly any native californian grew to like hockey based on the teams playing not having it as a youngster. Baseball covers whites and mexicans here in OC. I didnt see too many Latinos being at the game and a few coming for the free celebration party. And yes, the wieners and sodas were good! Pennywise and The Blasters played so there! And we had the governator there also.

Concerning signings, we are loaded at goalie and francois is still young. Cap will be going up so i wont worry about our stud sophomores for awhile.

Last edited by broncocalijohn; 06-13-2007 at 05:29 AM..
Old 06-14-2007, 02:58 AM   #1524
Killericon
Front 7, Please

Adopt-a-Bronco:
watermock

Calgary Flames to hire Mike Keenan as new Head Coach.

Playfair to remain on staff.
Killericon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 03:44 AM   #1525
24champ
Bring back Kubiak!

Keep Calm and Chive on

Adopt-a-Bronco:
DomCasual

Quote:
Champ you rip the OC on our ducks but i wonder what LA would be like. First, if a parade was to be had, they would have to cancel it as they would still be cleaning the streets from bonfires, tipped cars, broken glass, trash (probably there b4 the game anyways) and scoop up the murdered.
At least King fans would be passionate about the Kings winning the cup....instead of the couple golf claps that I saw from Duck fans in the stands when they won the cup. As far as the scooping the murdered....well the world is a better place with less duck fans.

Last edited by 24champ; 06-14-2007 at 03:48 AM..