The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Other Sports Discussion > NHL
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 05-12-2007, 07:55 PM   #1326
Bronx33
lets go partner

Rumpson Rocks

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Woodyard

Go sabers!
Bronx33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2007, 01:22 AM   #1327
Al Wilson
Perennial Pro-bowler

oh yaaaaaaa babyyy, sens with huge win in double ot!!!!!!!!!!
Al Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2007, 01:34 AM   #1328
SoCalBronco
Nixonite

Adopt-a-Bronco:
D.J. Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Wilson View Post
oh yaaaaaaa babyyy, sens with huge win in double ot!!!!!!!!!!
Ottawa has its foot on Buffalo's neck right now up 2 and going home for a pair. We'll see if you can put them away in the next few games...you guys have been extremely impressive so far in the playoffs. I am now feeling better about losing in 5 to Ottawa.
Old 05-13-2007, 01:51 PM   #1329
Jori
US Olympian

Sabres are done imo. The difference in special teams play between Ottawa and Buffalo is night and day.
Jori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2007, 11:49 PM   #1330
Mtbrncofn
Ring of Famer

Highly unimpressive, that's what I'm thinking of the Sabres this round. What a huge disappointment. I'm still rooting them on though.
Mtbrncofn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 12:16 AM   #1331
Bronx33
lets go partner

Rumpson Rocks

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Woodyard

Quack!
Old 05-14-2007, 12:40 AM   #1332
Bronx33
lets go partner

Rumpson Rocks

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Woodyard

Looking at the wingies numbers i noticed that they have yet to score an even strength goal in 2 games, living off the PP will only take a team so far until the luck runs out.

Last edited by Bronx33; 05-14-2007 at 12:44 AM..
Old 05-14-2007, 12:42 AM   #1333
Bronx33
lets go partner

Rumpson Rocks

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Woodyard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jori View Post
Sabres are done imo. The difference in special teams play between Ottawa and Buffalo is night and day.
Game three will be a huge gut check for the sabers for sure.
Old 05-14-2007, 12:38 PM   #1334
Smiling Assassin27
Helmet Tester

Hurry Hurry

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronx33 View Post
Looking at the wingies numbers i noticed that they have yet to score an even strength goal in 2 games, living off the PP will only take a team so far until the luck runs out.
less skilled teams than the wings have managed to pull series out of their arses. hasek gave up 4 last night but he's playing at a very high level. considering they haven't scored even strength yet and are 1-1, they should be grateful. still, they can't afford to go into OT and deep into a series with these behemoths. i picked the ducks in 5 so we'll see.
Smiling Assassin27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 05:30 PM   #1335
broncocalijohn
Famer of Rings

I said Do It!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Simon Fletcher

Funny thing is I am more worried about The Ducks on the power play and PK. They were red (insert pun) hot on their PK before this series. I see trouble for Ducks if they dont shut down this part of the game. Only cure would be to play without getting a penalty. Ducks first win at Detroit this year. Taking Home ice advantage.
broncocalijohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 11:14 PM   #1336
Jori
US Olympian

Just a dominant performance by Ottawa tonight. It was no contest. If not for Miller, it would have been a blow out.
Jori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 11:32 PM   #1337
Mtbrncofn
Ring of Famer

What in THE hell is going on here? Where's the big high powered offense?! This sucks.
Mtbrncofn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 11:39 PM   #1338
Al Wilson
Perennial Pro-bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtbrncofn View Post
What in THE hell is going on here? Where's the big high powered offense?! This sucks.
The Sabres are no contest for Ottawa. Seriously, did you think those puny players would just play around with Ottawa's D? The Sabres can't score because they're not a physical team. They're soft and can't forecheck and play around the boards. I hope we finish them off Wednesday so I can get my cup tickets already
Al Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 06:03 AM   #1339
broncocalijohn
Famer of Rings

I said Do It!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Simon Fletcher

Chris Kunitz out of postseason with broken hand!

Here is the link from the Ducks website

http://www.mightyducks.com/press/rel...200604&id=1711
Old 05-15-2007, 11:18 AM   #1340
Smiling Assassin27
Helmet Tester

Hurry Hurry

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

Ottawa looks tough. I'm happy for them and think either team from the West will have a hell of a time beating them 4 out of 7.
Old 05-15-2007, 11:05 PM   #1341
Bronx33
lets go partner

Rumpson Rocks

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Woodyard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiling Assassin27 View Post
less skilled teams than the wings have managed to pull series out of their arses. hasek gave up 4 last night but he's playing at a very high level. considering they haven't scored even strength yet and are 1-1, they should be grateful. still, they can't afford to go into OT and deep into a series with these behemoths. i picked the ducks in 5 so we'll see.

I would probably credit the lack of even strength goals to the ducks defense (which is extremely good) at poke checking and clogging of the passing lanes there is very little room to operate.
Old 05-15-2007, 11:10 PM   #1342
Bronx33
lets go partner

Rumpson Rocks

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Woodyard

Is it just me or are the annoucers blowing the wings all game every game? and i see bert holds a stick against his hip and draws a penalty for yet another 5 on 3, i do believe they have gotten one every game thus far in this series on weak calls.
Old 05-15-2007, 11:53 PM   #1343
Bronx33
lets go partner

Rumpson Rocks

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Woodyard

The quacks have a complete melt down in the second and spend the entire 2 period on the PK, and the refs kick the wrong guy out of the game on the homer hit.
Old 05-16-2007, 11:26 AM   #1344
Smiling Assassin27
Helmet Tester

Hurry Hurry

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

Quote:
Is it just me or are the annoucers blowing the wings all game every game? and i see bert holds a stick against his hip and draws a penalty for yet another 5 on 3, i do believe they have gotten one every game thus far in this series on weak calls.
yeah, you're real objective...

refereeing has been attrocious for both teams in this series. only one team has taken advantage of the PP this far.
Old 05-16-2007, 11:28 AM   #1345
Smiling Assassin27
Helmet Tester

Hurry Hurry

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

Quote:
The quacks have a complete melt down in the second and spend the entire 2 period on the PK, and the refs kick the wrong guy out of the game on the homer hit.

how does the Ducks' forecheck go from utterly dominating to non-existent in a single night? this is definitely not what i expected to see with the 5 on 5 problem being completely erased by detroit and the ducks defense just vaporizing.

pronger's such an ass. how they toss niedermayer and not that big bucket of guts is beyond me. do we see any suspensions?
Old 05-16-2007, 06:24 PM   #1346
Smiling Assassin27
Helmet Tester

Hurry Hurry

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

Pronger is out for Game 4. Given his history against the Red Wings, the Ducks may consider this lucky.

Pronger suspended for hit on Wings' Holmstrom

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Associated Press

ANAHEIM, Calif. -- Anaheim Ducks defenseman Chris Pronger received a one-game suspension from the NHL on Wednesday for his hit on Detroit's Tomas Holmstrom the previous night.

The Red Wings' Tomas Holmstrom was flattened by the Ducks' Chris Pronger in Game 3.

Pronger, a former Norris Trophy winner and a finalist for the award this year, will miss Game 4 of the Ducks-Red Wings series Thursday night in Anaheim. He leads the Ducks with 12 points, including three goals, during this year's playoffs.

Detroit beat Anaheim 5-0 on Tuesday night to take a 2-1 lead in the best-of-seven Western Conference finals.

Holmstrom had two goals and an assist in the blowout, but left the game midway through the second period to get cuts on his forehead stitched up after Pronger and teammate Rob Niedermayer almost simultaneously slammed him into the glass.

Niedermayer drew a five-minute major for boarding and was ejected, but Pronger was not assessed a penalty on the play. The NHL reviewed the play Wednesday, Pronger spoke to the league on the phone and the decision was made to suspend him.

Holmstrom returned to begin the third period and had an assist on the Red Wings' final goal.

He said after the game that he wasn't exactly sure what happened.

"I got run into the boards, got hit again," Holmstrom said. "I never saw the guy come from behind.

"Get stitched up, yeah, I was ready for the third."

Niedermayer said he was surprised by the penalty.

"All I did was take a few strides, finish my check and hit him with my shoulder," he said. "You don't want to see anybody hurt out there, that's for sure. I'm glad he was back playing."
Old 05-16-2007, 07:04 PM   #1347
Smiling Assassin27
Helmet Tester

Hurry Hurry

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

Nice try Brian...

Pronger gets one game
Posted by Ansar Khan May 16, 2007 16:15PM
Categories: Breaking News
Ducks defenseman Chris Pronger was suspended for one game for his hit from behind to Tomas Holmstrom's head in Game 3 Tuesday, the NHL announced Wednesday. Pronger will sit out Game 4 Thursday. It further depletes an Anaheim defense that was relying on four players for the bulk of the minutes. For a player who was so poised and solid against the Wings in the first round of the playoffs last year with Edmonton, apparently, it was only a matter of time before the wreckless, undisciplined Pronger of old returned.

Ducks general manager Brian Burke, naturally, said he disagreed withe the ruling. Pronger banged Holmstrom's head off the glass at 11:40 of the second period. Holmstrom needed stitches to close two cuts in his forehead but returned to start the third period.

"If you watch some of the other views it looks like a dangerous high hit, but if you look at the end-zone view, it shows it best,'' Burke said. "Chris Pronger went to hit Tomas Holmstrom at a 45-degree angle from the boards and at no point is Holmstrom's face facing the boards, at no point is Chris delivering a hit toward the boards, he's coming in to finish the check at a 45-degree angle.

"So we disagree complete with the notion Chris Pronger should be suspended for a game. But, we respect the process.''

The referees ejected the wrong player (Rob Niedermayer) from the game. Niedermayer and Pronger converged on Holmstrom at the same time, but it was Pronger's hit to the head that caused the damage. Burke said he has asked the league to rescind the game misconduct to Niedermayer and expects that to happen.

"Chris Pronger is an elite player in our league. He's a tough Canadian who plays the game the way we want to play,'' Burke said. "We don't approve of guys head hunting, we don't think that's what this was.''

Burke complimented the Wings' handling of the situation.

"We think Detroit behaved very honorably by putting the player back on the ice,'' Burke said. "The player had two cuts, both of which would have been covered by his helmet had it been properly attached. It came off four times last night.

"There's teams in this league that would have put him in an ambulance and sent him somewhere for the night. Detroit did the right thing.''
Old 05-17-2007, 04:13 AM   #1348
broncocalijohn
Famer of Rings

I said Do It!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Simon Fletcher

Smiling, what is your problem here. Burke didnt go off the deep end here. If Pronger was 6 foot 2, the hit wouldnt be as bad. You mouth off like Pronger has problems like this continuous. It isnt like he is some guy names Betruzzi.
Old 05-17-2007, 11:51 AM   #1349
Smiling Assassin27
Helmet Tester

Hurry Hurry

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

Believe me, what he did was far worse than what Pronger did. BUt you seem to want to divert attention from Pronger's cheap shot rather than deal with it. I'm not saying he's a dirty player (though anyone who has ever watched him for ANY length of time knows he's as chippy as they come) but he is a physical player who loses control. If Pronger was 6'2 is irrelevant. Pronger is 6'6" and is aware that elbows to the head are illegal, yet still does it. It's his job to make accommodations for his height. Chara has the same responsibility, it goes with playing the game.

Blaming the player for not having his helmet on properly is going off the deep end. I understand Brian has to do anything he can to win the series but that's just foolish, IMO. The reason he's not lathered up and lashing out loudly is because he probably knows that Pronger's action demands the suspension he got.

Homer probably saved Pronger from a longer suspension by getting back into the game.

Last edited by Smiling Assassin27; 05-17-2007 at 12:08 PM..
Old 05-17-2007, 10:31 PM   #1350
broncocalijohn
Famer of Rings

I said Do It!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Simon Fletcher

HE got suspended! How much more you want? He didnt hit him in the head but the shoulders. If he was shorter, the hit is in the back not the shoulders. And yes he needs to be careful because of his height but the point was that his actions in game 3 are not how he should be looked upon from the past or future. Physical? Damn skippy and I wouldnt want anything less. The helmet item was the fact that if he had it on properly, the reaction wouldnt have been so severe. The penalty would have still been called regardless. Hell, they called it on the wrong guy! Back to the game.