The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion > Maniac Community Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-14-2007, 01:26 PM   #51
Old Dude
Super Moderator
 
Old Dude's Avatar
 
Consultant

Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: DIA Tunnels
Posts: 14,771
Default

-2 more lbs this week

195 days / -42 lbs.

Currently 213
Old Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2007, 02:40 PM   #52
RhymesayersDU
Go Broncos, Nuggets, Rox
 
RhymesayersDU's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Back In The 303!
Posts: 14,981

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ty Lawson
Default

Figured I'd check in on this thread.

My story goes like this: I've been lifting weights since August, which I feel really good about. I've actually gained a lot of good weight in the form of muscle.

Problem is, my suit I wore to Church for Easter was a little snugger than I thought it'd be, so even if it's just 1 pant size, I'd like to drop some poundage. I've always hovered around a 40... Was down to a 38 when I was on Atkins, but now have gained weight to be around what I would call a 41... My 40 pants still fit, although tight.

I drastically changed my diet starting this past Monday. I also finally pushed myself to start running on the treadmill as well as walking the dogs more frequently. I hate to do it. Running was always a punishment for me, being on the football and basketball teams. But I gotta do it.

Right now, a typical day for me is the following:
Go to work at the restaurant, have 2 eggs (egg beaters) and dry wheat toast to start the day. Somewhere around lunchtime, I have a turkey sandwich on wheat or some kind of salad. No cheese, or other such add ons. For dinner I have a Whey Protein Shake, with a banana blended in. I've also switched almost exclusively to water. I've been off regular soda since August, but now I don't even do Diet drinks or Iced Tea with sweet & low.

You can probably classify this as one of those, drastic drops in caloric intake that was being discussed earlier. But I gotta do something. I need to go to the grocery store this weekend and find some healthy snacks. I had some grapes while watching the Nuggets game last night, but I never realized how unhealthy everything in my house is (snack wise) until I really put conscious effort into watching what I eat.

Anyways, I really just would like to look good for my girlfriend's formal at the end of May. I don't care about what the scale says, since I'm lifting, but if I can just fit into my 40 pants and look good in my suit, I'll be happy, and can hopefully make further improvements from there.
RhymesayersDU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2007, 02:49 PM   #53
Sassy
Ring of Famer
 
Sassy's Avatar
 

Join Date: May 2001
Location: ND
Posts: 37,667

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Eddie Royal
Default

The bike riding starts today!
What a gorgeous spring day!
Sassy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2007, 03:21 PM   #54
smalltowngrll
Orange
 
smalltowngrll's Avatar
 
Blue

Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Bend, OR
Posts: 7,942

Adopt-a-Bronco:
dortoh
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RhymesayersDU View Post
Figured I'd check in on this thread.

My story goes like this: I've been lifting weights since August, which I feel really good about. I've actually gained a lot of good weight in the form of muscle.

Problem is, my suit I wore to Church for Easter was a little snugger than I thought it'd be, so even if it's just 1 pant size, I'd like to drop some poundage. I've always hovered around a 40... Was down to a 38 when I was on Atkins, but now have gained weight to be around what I would call a 41... My 40 pants still fit, although tight.

I drastically changed my diet starting this past Monday. I also finally pushed myself to start running on the treadmill as well as walking the dogs more frequently. I hate to do it. Running was always a punishment for me, being on the football and basketball teams. But I gotta do it.

Right now, a typical day for me is the following:
Go to work at the restaurant, have 2 eggs (egg beaters) and dry wheat toast to start the day. Somewhere around lunchtime, I have a turkey sandwich on wheat or some kind of salad. No cheese, or other such add ons. For dinner I have a Whey Protein Shake, with a banana blended in. I've also switched almost exclusively to water. I've been off regular soda since August, but now I don't even do Diet drinks or Iced Tea with sweet & low.

You can probably classify this as one of those, drastic drops in caloric intake that was being discussed earlier. But I gotta do something. I need to go to the grocery store this weekend and find some healthy snacks. I had some grapes while watching the Nuggets game last night, but I never realized how unhealthy everything in my house is (snack wise) until I really put conscious effort into watching what I eat.

Anyways, I really just would like to look good for my girlfriend's formal at the end of May. I don't care about what the scale says, since I'm lifting, but if I can just fit into my 40 pants and look good in my suit, I'll be happy, and can hopefully make further improvements from there.

It looks like you are making the right decisions. But, instead of running and thinking it as a punishment, why not limit that run to, say,. 15 minutes and then add a different form of cardio that you enjoy for another 15 or so minutes. In order to make cardio a way of life it really does have to be something that you enjoy. If not, you will get to the weight you want and then start making excuses to skip it because it's more of a burden than an enjoyment. Cardio is the best way to drop weight and burn the fat. Lifting weights without burning the fat just means that you will add muscle under the fat. Although, adding muscle also means that you are increasing your sedentary caloric burn, or increasing your metabolism.
smalltowngrll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2007, 03:23 PM   #55
smalltowngrll
Orange
 
smalltowngrll's Avatar
 
Blue

Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Bend, OR
Posts: 7,942

Adopt-a-Bronco:
dortoh
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassy View Post
The bike riding starts today!
What a gorgeous spring day!
WTG, Sassy!

I did hit the gym yesterday morning....EARLY! And, I'm heading there now...so, I've accompllished breaking the bad habit of skipping the weights. Now, just to continue....
smalltowngrll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2007, 03:46 PM   #56
Sassy
Ring of Famer
 
Sassy's Avatar
 

Join Date: May 2001
Location: ND
Posts: 37,667

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Eddie Royal
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by smalltowngrll View Post
WTG, Sassy!

I did hit the gym yesterday morning....EARLY! And, I'm heading there now...so, I've accompllished breaking the bad habit of skipping the weights. Now, just to continue....
Here's to working out...and hoping my bike tires have enough air to get to the gas station! ! I haven't checked them yet!

Yep...enough air! Just rode a little over 4 miles to Moxie Java...just have to make it back now! Not bad for the first time out since October!

Last edited by Sassy; 04-14-2007 at 05:11 PM..
Sassy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2007, 05:29 PM   #57
Crushaholic
Armchair Poster
 
Crushaholic's Avatar
 
Get off my lawn, you kids!

Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Topeka, KS
Posts: 22,462

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Isaiah Burse
Default

I haven't done anything DRASTIC, but I have cut out French fries from my diet. Hopefully, that will lead to less fast food. French fries are always offered as a combo in those places, so I hope this is the catalyst to changing my eating habits. I've also reduced my intake of pop, which can ALSO be found at the aforementioned fast food places. Slowly, I'm making a dietary change that will last a lifetime. That's how people should do it. Old habits die hard, but weaning off them gradually is the way to go. Then, you don't miss them. I'm Catholic, so I gave up pizza for Lent one year. Now, I only eat pizza once in a blue moon. I need to exercise more often. Maybe I'll do it now that the weather is getting better...
Crushaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2007, 05:31 PM   #58
Sassy
Ring of Famer
 
Sassy's Avatar
 

Join Date: May 2001
Location: ND
Posts: 37,667

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Eddie Royal
Default

P.S. I avoid all baked goodies and ordered water and a non-fat latte
Ok...back to the second half of the bike ride!

Last edited by Sassy; 04-14-2007 at 05:33 PM..
Sassy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2007, 05:36 PM   #59
smalltowngrll
Orange
 
smalltowngrll's Avatar
 
Blue

Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Bend, OR
Posts: 7,942

Adopt-a-Bronco:
dortoh
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crushaholic View Post
I haven't done anything DRASTIC, but I have cut out French fries from my diet. Hopefully, that will lead to less fast food. French fries are always offered as a combo in those places, so I hope this is the catalyst to changing my eating habits. I've also reduced my intake of pop, which can ALSO be found at the aforementioned fast food places. Slowly, I'm making a dietary change that will last a lifetime. That's how people should do it. Old habits die hard, but weaning off them gradually is the way to go. Then, you don't miss them. I'm Catholic, so I gave up pizza for Lent one year. Now, I only eat pizza once in a blue moon. I need to exercise more often. Maybe I'll do it now that the weather is getting better...


Nice! Yep, I found that changing one habit at a time was the easiest. Not just giving something up, but replacing it with something else. I gave up eating red meat for about 4 years and it was probably the best thing I could have ever done. Now, I only eat red meat a couple times a month. mostly it's chicken or vegetables. I get a craving for a good burger every now and again! I also gave up pop for several years, but I replaced it with iced tea...no sweetner added. Love it. I still have a soda every once in awhile, but it's rare.
smalltowngrll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2007, 06:19 PM   #60
Sassy
Ring of Famer
 
Sassy's Avatar
 

Join Date: May 2001
Location: ND
Posts: 37,667

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Eddie Royal
Default

Just RED BULL
Made it back
Dang wind was a little chilly and tough riding on the way back...what I was doing last fall in an hour took me an extra twenty minutes!
Oh well, time to grill a turkey burger (no bun), grilled asparagus and a sweet potato.


My bad habit is dt. coke and lattes (granted non-fat mostly) ...and working with kids those are tough to give up!

Last edited by Sassy; 04-14-2007 at 06:50 PM..
Sassy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2007, 09:12 PM   #61
JanaŽ
World's cutest Bronco Fan
 
JanaŽ's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Anywhere but here!
Posts: 1,377

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ed McCaffrey ;)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crushaholic View Post
I haven't done anything DRASTIC, but I have cut out French fries from my diet. Hopefully, that will lead to less fast food. French fries are always offered as a combo in those places, so I hope this is the catalyst to changing my eating habits. I've also reduced my intake of pop, which can ALSO be found at the aforementioned fast food places. Slowly, I'm making a dietary change that will last a lifetime. That's how people should do it. Old habits die hard, but weaning off them gradually is the way to go. Then, you don't miss them. I'm Catholic, so I gave up pizza for Lent one year. Now, I only eat pizza once in a blue moon. I need to exercise more often. Maybe I'll do it now that the weather is getting better...
A few fast food places are now offering alternatives to fries with value meals. I know Wendy's does, but I refuse to eat there because a customer of mine at work got E. Coli from Wendys by my store. I did give in and eat a McDonalds Sausage McMuffin for breakfast today, shame on me. I was starving and I didn't want to eat any of the garbage we offer in my gas station! Some gas stations have a bigger variety and some stuff is semi okay, but I'm in a dinky little Phillips66! Granted, we are a very busy store, but we are small and don't have a big variety of choices. Much less healthy ones. I ate junky today, but I haven't been to Starbucks in a week and I've stopped eating chocolate and junk.
JanaŽ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2007, 09:13 PM   #62
JanaŽ
World's cutest Bronco Fan
 
JanaŽ's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Anywhere but here!
Posts: 1,377

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ed McCaffrey ;)
Default

Oh and WTG, all of you!
JanaŽ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2007, 09:27 PM   #63
Sassy
Ring of Famer
 
Sassy's Avatar
 

Join Date: May 2001
Location: ND
Posts: 37,667

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Eddie Royal
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanaŽ View Post
A few fast food places are now offering alternatives to fries with value meals. I know Wendy's does, but I refuse to eat there because a customer of mine at work got E. Coli from Wendys by my store. I did give in and eat a McDonalds Sausage McMuffin for breakfast today, shame on me. I was starving and I didn't want to eat any of the garbage we offer in my gas station! Some gas stations have a bigger variety and some stuff is semi okay, but I'm in a dinky little Phillips66! Granted, we are a very busy store, but we are small and don't have a big variety of choices. Much less healthy ones. I ate junky today, but I haven't been to Starbucks in a week and I've stopped eating chocolate and junk.
Start small and work your way up! Good job, Jana!
Sassy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2007, 09:31 PM   #64
Sassy
Ring of Famer
 
Sassy's Avatar
 

Join Date: May 2001
Location: ND
Posts: 37,667

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Eddie Royal
Default

Here's what I do...everytime you skip starbucks...put that money in a jar...everytime you go to Starbucks...put double the cost of your drink in a jar...that way you'll have some spending money built up for your trip and if you really want that drink...it will cost you double! (You'll think twice!) Once you put it in a jar...vow not to take it out again until your trip!
Sassy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2007, 10:32 PM   #65
JanaŽ
World's cutest Bronco Fan
 
JanaŽ's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Anywhere but here!
Posts: 1,377

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ed McCaffrey ;)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassy View Post
Here's what I do...everytime you skip starbucks...put that money in a jar...everytime you go to Starbucks...put double the cost of your drink in a jar...that way you'll have some spending money built up for your trip and if you really want that drink...it will cost you double! (You'll think twice!) Once you put it in a jar...vow not to take it out again until your trip!
An EXCELLENT idea!!!! Thank you!
JanaŽ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2007, 10:48 PM   #66
Sassy
Ring of Famer
 
Sassy's Avatar
 

Join Date: May 2001
Location: ND
Posts: 37,667

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Eddie Royal
Default

Actually, rereading my post. It will cost you TRIPLE...you'll have the double amount in a jar + you bought one! Hmmm at almost 12 a drink it's spendy...and your travel spending money will add up!
Sassy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2007, 10:48 PM   #67
cbs1177
Ring of Famer
 
cbs1177's Avatar
 

Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 2,194
Default

I started a new position at work and have been kind of stress and worried about stuff so that tends to put a dent in to my snacking and eating. And I have been on my feet a lot more. I am 5 pounds thinner. No much but still the summer is young. I tend to drop 10-20 pounds in the summer months so I love summer.

Last edited by cbs1177; 04-14-2007 at 11:21 PM..
cbs1177 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2007, 10:53 PM   #68
Sassy
Ring of Famer
 
Sassy's Avatar
 

Join Date: May 2001
Location: ND
Posts: 37,667

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Eddie Royal
Default

But you have a gorgeous new place to work in!
It should get better!
Sassy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2007, 10:55 PM   #69
JanaŽ
World's cutest Bronco Fan
 
JanaŽ's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Anywhere but here!
Posts: 1,377

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ed McCaffrey ;)
Default

I tend to be lazier in the summer because it's so darn hot outside, lol. I need to start swimming laps.
JanaŽ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2007, 10:59 PM   #70
Sassy
Ring of Famer
 
Sassy's Avatar
 

Join Date: May 2001
Location: ND
Posts: 37,667

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Eddie Royal
Default

Join a water aerobics class or bike! That's what I love about summer.
It's much more fun to "bike" when you're actually going somewhere!
Sassy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2007, 10:59 PM   #71
Watchthemiddle
Weasel Patrol
 

Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: aurora, co
Posts: 176
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mediator12 View Post
Alright, i'm in.

I am 5'11 and 205 with 25 lbs of pure belly. I played at 170 but a realistic goal should be 180.

I have been in shape all of my life until the second ACL in 2005. My son was born 3 months into rehab and I never finished it properly. I take care of both my kids during the day unless I have clients or practicum (group training). My daughter goes to school a half day every day and I never seem to be able to work out anymore while she is gone. That is always when I went before my son was born. I need to resume my workouts and finish my left leg rehab.

Another problem is that I cook for the family and if my wife is not "on board" I make foods that are not conducive to weight loss I never had a problem eating all that I do when I was burning 3500+ calories a day. Now, I have put on thirty five lbs eating the way I used to eat.

I convinced her to use Bill Phillips "Body for Life" plan back in 2001 when we had our first child because his plan is simple, easy to follow, and includes both exercise and diet. This has both science and results behind it. I did it with her and we were both did very well with it until the holidays rolled around and we quit doing it. Check out Bodyforlife.com for the particulars of the diet. Bill Phillips used to work with TD and Romo during the Superbowl years and is a good DEN guy to boot
Body for Life ROCKS!!! And it works. Its so crazy simple and works soooo well its scary. All it really takes is a little organization and the willingness to stick with it over the 12 weeks.

I am not really suffering from any un-wanted weight at the moment. I stand 5'10 -190 and want to actually bulk up a little bit more with some good muscle.

The 5-6 small meals a day thing works like magic. Also, you don't have to KILL yourself in a gym to see good results. I would say that weight loss is 50% mental, 25% diet and 25% exercise. You have to get right mentally in order to get right with your working out and diet.
Watchthemiddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2007, 11:17 PM   #72
JanaŽ
World's cutest Bronco Fan
 
JanaŽ's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Anywhere but here!
Posts: 1,377

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ed McCaffrey ;)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watchthemiddle View Post
You have to get right mentally in order to get right with your working out and diet.
Well, that leaves ME out!

Kidding. And biking would be a great idea! I could bike to Starbucks!
JanaŽ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2007, 11:22 PM   #73
Sassy
Ring of Famer
 
Sassy's Avatar
 

Join Date: May 2001
Location: ND
Posts: 37,667

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Eddie Royal
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanaŽ View Post
Well, that leaves ME out!

Kidding. And biking would be a great idea! I could bike to Starbucks!
I've done that! ! The closet Starbucks is 11 miles there and back from my house! Today, it was Moxie Java that I biked to (a little over 8 miles there and back) and now my legs are paying for it! I think I overdid it a little since I haven't done that since October! Oh well, a soak in the tub will do wonders!
Sassy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2007, 11:26 PM   #74
cbs1177
Ring of Famer
 
cbs1177's Avatar
 

Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 2,194
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassy View Post
But you have a gorgeous new place to work in!
It should get better!
Thanks Sassy I am still kind of nervous about the job though lots to clean and really haven't been tested b/c it is freezing here in terms of the Mid-South. Next week is more normal temps here so members should start to come out and thankfully out of "starvation" period. ie slow months. I look to be about 200 by end of July. I am at 210 range now.
cbs1177 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2007, 11:51 PM   #75
Sassy
Ring of Famer
 
Sassy's Avatar
 

Join Date: May 2001
Location: ND
Posts: 37,667

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Eddie Royal
Default

This is cool...you can readjust for size or type of milk.
Kinda of scarey when you see some of the calories in these drinks!

http://www.starbucks.com/retail/nutr...ison_popup.asp
1/2 a days worth of calories or an entire day's worth of fat!

Last edited by Sassy; 04-15-2007 at 12:00 AM..
Sassy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:49 PM.


Denver Broncos