The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion > Maniac Community Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 04-05-2007, 10:43 PM   #26
BroncoBuff

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MALIK+QUANTERUS

This is great stuff .... my hand is tired from writing stuff down.

Now I'm off to Albertsons .... what aisle is the wheat germ on?
BroncoBuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 03:34 PM   #27
Sassy
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Eddie Royal

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoBuff View Post
This is great stuff .... my hand is tired from writing stuff down.

Now I'm off to Albertsons .... what aisle is the wheat germ on?
Wheat germ is in the cereal isle...I found mine by the oatmeal.
Ground flax I found by the produce section.
Lots of protein in both although the flax has fat...but I'm guessing it's the good kind!

Other places might be the health food isle or in the baking section by the flours.
Sassy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2007, 01:22 AM   #28
BroncoBuff

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MALIK+QUANTERUS

Well, I was in such a rush to go shop, I didn't look at the time and I missed the first 20 minutes of "The Office." Anyway, I think I'm gonna start shopping in smaller trips, because when I buy lots of stuff - even good stuff - I usually eat a lot when I get home. Last night I made a "Tiger Sandwich," then a banana smoothie with wheat germ, and later a big bowl of popcorn ...

PLAY-BY-PLAY MAN: Here's BroncoBuff headed into his living room ... looks like he has a turkey avacado sandwich
COLOR ANNOUNCER: I make 'em al the time, Jim.
HEYDENSMOM: Avocadoes are the good kind of fat ...
PLAY-BY-PLAY MAN: How did you get in the booth??
Old 04-07-2007, 01:23 AM   #29
Sassy
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Eddie Royal

What did you put in your smoothie?
Old 04-07-2007, 01:29 AM   #30
BroncoBuff

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MALIK+QUANTERUS

I just PM'd you with that, Sassy!

Man, we have ESP going tonight ...

I used: 2 bananas, non-fat milk, non-fat yogurt, a small amount of orange juice, about 3 tbsp of wheat germ and 2 packets of Sweet-n-Low.

Not bad ... I wanted to put an egg in, but my gf said to buy protein powder instead. What do you suggest?

I will say this: I've read where dark berries are just about the BEST foods you can put in your body. Blueberries, raspberries, cherries, strawberries, etc .... tons of anti-oxidants. Are frozen blueberies just as good> because I bought a bag of frozen blueberries. Frozen - in addition to keeping longer - have the added advantage of being a natural cooling ingredient for a smoothie. My smoothie wasn't cold enough .... I think the yogurt was near room-temp by the time I used it.
Old 04-07-2007, 01:35 AM   #31
Sassy
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Eddie Royal

Never used protein powder...how much does it actually have in it?
Wheat germ has? Can't remember...and Flax is 6 grams I think.
You can add ice to your smoothie!
I don't use sweet/low chemicals yuck!
I do use Dannon light and fit vanilla yogurt..yeah it has "sugar" but it's lower than most...then you don't need the sweetners especially if you use a banana. You don't need the OJ unless you want it...you can do whatever you want.

Berries are awesome! I think fresh are better and I'm not big on blueberries!

Last edited by Sassy; 04-07-2007 at 01:37 AM..
Old 04-07-2007, 01:36 AM   #32
Sassy
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Eddie Royal

Sassy Tip: If you're used to "conditioned" to eating fast food in your car...I found that it really helps to have a bag of baby carrots or something else in your car ... keeps you from stopping at the drive thru if you have something to munch on! ! Or buy a light smoothie (I love yoplait) and keep it at work to grab on your break or your way home!
Old 04-07-2007, 12:06 PM   #33
Old Dude
Super Moderator

Consultant

188 days / -40 lbs.

Currently 6'2 215

Old Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2007, 01:59 PM   #34
BroncoBuff

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MALIK+QUANTERUS

You're an inspiration Old Dude ... 40 pounds in 6 months. Nice.

BAD NEWS FOR ME: I'm the exact same weight I was a week ago! I can see why people say that watching the number on the scale can be disheartening. I have borderline-fasted much ot the past week ... Does anybody know the pros/cons of the OptiFast type liquid diet - the Oprah thing? I don't wanna endanger my health, but I'm sure I could go 3 or 4 weeks to get uner 300 pounds. Once I weigh "2"-something, then I'll feel better, and will start a more sensible plan. I need to lose 14 to get to 299...

It's three weeks today since I weighed in on that hospital scale ... I'm gonna count my losses from that day, instead of the thread start day. I need the positive thinking...

21 days / -7
Old 04-07-2007, 02:41 PM   #35
Old Dude
Super Moderator

Consultant

Quote:

Thanks. Realistically, I'm just aiming to knock off ten to fifteen more pounds by the start of the regular season. Roughly 2 or 3 lbs a month. Then I'll see if I can keep it at that level for 5 years or until I die, whichever comes first.
Old 04-07-2007, 05:32 PM   #36
BMF Bronco
Offseason sucks...

Adopt-a-Bronco:
ME

hit the rut, need to bust out of it.
BMF Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 04:17 PM   #37
Mediator12
OM analyst

Roby AND Latimer?Who the Hell Knew?

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Quote:

BAD NEWS FOR ME: I'm the exact same weight I was a week ago! I can see why people say that watching the number on the scale can be disheartening. I have borderline-fasted much ot the past week ... Does anybody know the pros/cons of the OptiFast type liquid diet - the Oprah thing? I don't wanna endanger my health, but I'm sure I could go 3 or 4 weeks to get uner 300 pounds. Once I weigh "2"-something, then I'll feel better, and will start a more sensible plan. I need to lose 14 to get to 299...

It's three weeks today since I weighed in on that hospital scale ... I'm gonna count my losses from that day, instead of the thread start day. I need the positive thinking...

21 days / -7

Go to B&N or other bookstore and look at the BFL plan. It only takes an hour to read the basics and you can buy the book if you like. Eat six small meals a day using three shakes and three real food meals right now. The smaller meals keeps metabolism optimal all day and burns more calories than three or four meals a day. The seventh day each week is a free day to trick your body from returning your set weight point to where you have dropped. The free day is eat whatever and drink whatever you want.

Plus, include a quick, smart, and easy workout. BFL's cardio workout's are 20 minutes long, but vary the intensity level's to your tolerance. The Weight sets are only 50 minutes stretching start to finish and also start to where you are right now.
Mediator12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 10:13 AM   #38
BroncoBuff

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MALIK+QUANTERUS

Well, I gained 2 pounds, which seems odd based on my walking and eating changes ... but scales don't lie.

26 days / -5
Old 04-11-2007, 11:07 AM   #39
Sassy
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Eddie Royal

I haven't started yet!
TODAY is Day 1~!
Old 04-11-2007, 11:46 AM   #40
Old Dude
Super Moderator

Consultant

Quote:
Well, I gained 2 pounds, which seems odd based on my walking and eating changes ... but scales don't lie.

26 days / -5

There could be lots of reasons for that. Sometimes, if you suddenly have a rapid change in diet, I think your body can panic and it starts storing up fat.

Also, even when you are losing, and losing steadily, you'll sometimes see minor fluctuations up and down. Don't let it get to you. If you suddenly lose a bunch, it's easy to make that an excuse to cheat or to get expectations out of whack. And if you lose too little, then it gets depressing. I tried not to worry too much about the scale and just stuck rigorously to my routine and it worked.
Old 04-11-2007, 11:58 AM   #41
smalltowngrll
Orange

Blue

Adopt-a-Bronco:
dortoh

Yup, OD is correct.

When you make a rapid reduction in your caloric intake, your body goes into a starvation mode. Instead of burning calories at it's normal rate, it slows down your metabolism and you burn fewer calories. That's why it's always good to reduce your caloric intake slowly if you must make a major reduction.

Also, if you are exercising and you were not previously doing so, remember that you are also building muscle, which is heavier than fat. So, you can burn a pound of fat and gain two pounds of muscle. The bright side is that muscle has a lot less mass (takes up less space) than fat.

Remember that bottom line, your body must burn 3500 more calories than you eat in order to drop one pound of fat. That's 500 calories a day to lose one pound a week.
smalltowngrll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 09:01 PM   #42
Mediator12
OM analyst

Roby AND Latimer?Who the Hell Knew?

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Quote:

26 days / -5
You also are experiencing water weight fluctuation. As you lose fat, you also lose natural water stores and the body self corrects the water distribution. That is natural and weight can fluctuate up to one percent of body weight as normal.

You can counteract this by drinking plenty of water every day. Like eight cups + a day. A lot of our natural Hunger sensations are also the same as our thirst sensations. Sure, there are different ones, but most of the time you think you are hungry you are really in need of water.
Mediator12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 09:05 PM   #43
Sassy
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Eddie Royal

Some great advice in this thread!
Old 04-12-2007, 06:05 PM   #44
JanaŽ
World's cutest Bronco Fan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ed McCaffrey ;)

I just found this thread also, and a wonderful, encouraging idea! I just started a diet three days ago, on Tuesday 4/10 when I busted the button on my pants. I haven't stepped on the scale and I won't, because when I do, it throws me into a depression and I'm prone to that. (I'm Bipolar and it sucks) I have gained over 80 pounds in the last 10 years due to meds that they have put me on, and I can't seem to get it off. I've been off of meds for about a year now, and the weight is not coming off. After breaking the button on my pants on Tuesday, I decided to do something about it. I'm heavier than I have ever been and miserable. My eating habits suck, as I love junk food, but I have decided to cut out the junk and the soda. Cutting out soda wasn't too hard to do, because when I was taking a certain med, it made soda taste flat, so that took away the craving for it. Even though I'm not on that med anymore, I never picked up my soda habit. (I used to drink two or three 32 oz sodas a day!) Instead I started drinking Snapple's Energy Drink, because I am so caffeine addicted and can't stand coffee. Snapple discontinued the drink not too long ago (the jerks) so that kinda helps that. I can't drink stuff like Red Bull, Rock Star or any of those because they wire me too badly. I started drinking Vitamin Water instead, and that has given me the energy I need without a caffeine headache. Especially the Energy one. So that has helped, cutting out all the sugar in that drink. My biggest downfall is Starbucks. I love the double chocolate chip frappucino creme (no coffee..) but it is so fattening! That is the hardest for me to give up, but I need to in order to be healthy. I am only 5'4" and at least 100 pounds overweight. I'm miserable and it makes my asthma worse. My mom is on a low cholesterol diet by the doctor, so I think I may follow it with her. I also am trying a diet pill (go ahead and yell at me now) I'm trying Cylaris. So far, my appetite has been lower and it's been easier to not eat junk. So i'm on day three, and even so far.
JanaŽ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 06:27 PM   #45
Old Dude
Super Moderator

Consultant

Well, Jana, my wife is on similar medication. In fact, she's been triple whammied since she's also on some similar stuff for a secondary disorder, and she's hypothyroid to boot.

But she's still managed to lose almost 25 lbs over the past 7 months, so there's hope. She's had a lot of success with weightwatchers + exercise.
Old 04-12-2007, 06:52 PM   #46
JanaŽ

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ed McCaffrey ;)

The only thing I am still on is Xanax for anxiety.. it doesn't cause weight gain. I will get rid of this!
Old 04-12-2007, 07:13 PM   #47
smalltowngrll
Orange

Blue

Adopt-a-Bronco:
dortoh

Watch out for Snapple and those energy drinks. They are loaded with calories. Remember that it's much better to EAT your calories than to DRINK them. My philosophy is that if I'm going to drink my calories...there better be alcohol in it!

Snacking isn't all that bad for you, it's just what you snack on. It's good to eat small, more frequent meals. Your body burns the calories immediately rather than storing them for later burn. I like the little 100 calorie packs that you can get at the store. They have them in oreos crisps and other 'sweets'. That just enough to sooth my sweet tooth.

Another thing I do is buy the Lean Cuisine frozen meals for my lunches. They are controlled portions and help me to count of the calories I eat. If I decide to meet someone for lunch, I'll typically just have a salad or something easy and light at the restaurant.

Regarding your starbucks fun treat...have them make it with skim milk and allow yourself one or two a week. Trade that out for one or two of your typical snacks. I love my iced mochas, but I've cut back to only have them twice a week. The days that I have one I don't have a snack or I run an extra mile. It helps balance it out. If I'm tempted to splurge on something, I weigh the consequences of running an extra few miles. If I REALLY want that "extra" treat then I'll be ok with the extra work out. But, most of the time I wimp out and pass on the treat.
Old 04-12-2007, 09:03 PM   #48
JanaŽ

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ed McCaffrey ;)

That's a great idea, STG! The Starbucks i get is creme based, and loaded with chocolate and whipped cream. I've cut myself down to once a week, or once every two weeks. The lean cuisine meals is a great idea.. I am going to get some of those! The 100 calorie packs is another great idea. It's so hard to stay away from chips and chocolate and junk when I manage a convenience store and am surrounded all day long by it! I got lucky with snapple discontinuing my energy drink, because I don't like the other Energy drinks! I'm sticking to Vitamin Water and water, and stopping the fast food and junk.
Old 04-12-2007, 10:01 PM   #49
smalltowngrll
Orange

Blue

Adopt-a-Bronco:
dortoh

Oh, another of my do or die tricks. Plan ahead!! Always have something healthy to munch on. The second I hit the "I'm famished" stage I'll eat anything in sight. It's always good to plan the week ahead. You know what your weaknesses are at work, so try different things to avoid falling into grabbing whatever is handy (which is usually unhealthy).

With all that being said...I'm so frustrated with my training right now. I need to be weight training along with my running, but I'm struggling with finding the time or energy to get to the gym. I've found that I'm out running and my cardio is fine, but my legs are not as strong as they were 6 months ago and so my legs are tired before I'm tired. So, that is the goal next week. Keep me accountable guys. I need to hit the gym to do weights at least 3 times next week...and two sessions need to be training legs!!
Old 04-12-2007, 11:51 PM   #50
JanaŽ

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ed McCaffrey ;)

I'm rooting for you STG!