The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Tailgate Recipes
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 02-01-2007, 08:53 PM   #26
zdoor
Jamaica Bound!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ak1971 View Post
Its a blowfish.

all kinding aside..I think my favorite shushi is a 'shrimp boat'

its a piece of shrimp butterfly'd so it looks like a boat.

a quail egg yoke with a little smelt egg. on top.

add a little tabasco and yum yum
That sounds excellent. A local favorite in California is a spot prawn done pretty much the same way minus the tabasco. They're excellent and very sweet.
zdoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 10:37 AM   #27
ak1971
uhhhh

Quote:
Originally Posted by zdoor View Post
That sounds excellent. A local favorite in California is a spot prawn done pretty much the same way minus the tabasco. They're excellent and very sweet.
My favorite Sushi joint used to be Gen Kai in Corona Del Mar, however I think Sushi Den here in Denver pretty much blows that away and is probably hand down one of the best.

If you are in Denver check out Shushi Den's private room, it rocks

http://www.sushiden.net/vip.php?table=denchu

Last edited by ak1971; 02-02-2007 at 01:26 PM..
ak1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 10:51 AM   #28
TailgateNut
Bleedin' orange!

.......as much as tebonites

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Howard Griffith

Quote:
Originally Posted by ak1971 View Post
My favorite Sushi joint used to be Gen Kai in Corona Del Mar, however I think Sushi Den here in Denver pretty much blows that away and is probably hand down one of the best.
Eating bait is just not my thing! I'll bring some raw fish to the tailgater for YOU next season, that's if you bring the wine!
TailgateNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 01:21 PM   #29
ak1971
uhhhh

Its all about the wine!
ak1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 05:53 PM   #30
Sassy
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Eddie Royal

We need a wine thread!
Sassy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 06:33 PM   #31
WoodMan
Ring of Famer

We eat alot of fish. My wife has many good recipes but we love to grill it mostly. Medium heat bed of charcoal, marinate the fish fillets for about an hour (usually salmon, halibut, snapper, or seabass) in Paul Newmans Italian dressing and then put it directly on the grill for about 3 to 5 minutes a side. Turn it carefully and only once as the fish will break apart if you're not careful. It turns out very good. Works very well with skewered shrimp also.

Trout we usually cook as a Trout Almandine. Works well with rainbows, browns or brookies, but also with the sea going trout like specs.

Since Katrina displaced us we haven't had many oysters, but I learned to like them on the half-shell. Barbqued are really good too. I have had some great flash fried oysters in Florida before but wasn't crazy about the way they fried them in Mississippi. the breading was as heavy as the people.
WoodMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 12:43 AM   #32
Sassy
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Eddie Royal

I want to try grilling some tilapia for Easter....
Any suggestions
(Healthy please!) Thanks!
Old 04-04-2007, 11:21 AM   #33
bendog
Marginally Continent

David Bowens, he'd be an upgrade

Adopt-a-Bronco:
David Bowens

I grilled fresh talapia once, but imo it wasn't as firm as salmon or tuna, but more importantly the flavor was sort of neutral, unlike salmon or tuna, and I'm not experienced with marinades and fish, so I've stuck with baking and pannaying. But, then again, if one seasoned the talapia ... I found this on foodtv.com, and the jamacian jerk marinade might just do the trick.

Spicy Grilled Tilapia with Creamy Grits and Mushroom Scallion Sauce Recipe courtesy Saptosa Foster, Atlanta, Georgia, 1st Place Entree
Show: Food Network Specials
Episode: Challenge: Food Network Super Seafood Grill-Off

Mushroom Scallion Sauce:
1 tablespoon butter
2 cups sliced baby portobello mushrooms (cremini)
1/2 cup sliced scallions
1/4 cup white wine
1/2 pint heavy cream
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
Salt and black pepper
Grits:
5 cups milk
1 cup quick-cooking grits
2 tablespoons butter
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper

Grilled Broccoli and Carrots:
1 large bunch broccoli, sliced lengthwise (with stalks and florets intact)
1 bunch whole carrots, tops removed, sliced lengthwise
1/4 cup olive oil
1 tablespoon garlic powder
Salt and pepper

Tilapia:
6 (6-ounce) tilapia fillets
1/3 cup Jamaican jerk seasoning marinade

Mushroom Scallion Sauce: Melt butter in a large saute pan. Saute mushrooms and scallions for about 3 minutes. Stir in wine and heavy cream. Season with garlic powder, cayenne, salt, and pepper. Stir until sauce thickens slightly. Keep warm until ready to serve.
Grits: Bring milk to a boil. Gradually whisk in grits, butter, salt, and pepper. Stir constantly for about 3 to 5 minutes until grits thicken to desired consistency. Keep warm until ready to serve.

Grilled Broccoli and Carrots: Heat grill to medium. Toss broccoli and carrots in olive oil and season with garlic powder, salt, and pepper. Grill vegetables for about 6 minutes or until tender, turning them once halfway through. If room allows, grill tilapia at same time.

Tilapia: Heat grill to medium. Rinse and dry fillets and then rub with jerk seasoning. Grill tilapia for 3 to 4 minutes on each side. Remove from heat.

Plate entree by spooning grits on center of plate. Lay tilapia on top of grits. Lay the carrot slices on top of fish in a criss-cross manner and place broccoli stalk on the side of fish. Top with mushroom scallion sauce and serve immediately.

A viewer, who may not be a professional cook, provided this recipe. The Food Network Kitchens chefs have not tested this recipe and therefore, we cannot make representation as to the results.

Other Recipes from this Episode
Red Pepper Frutti di Mare

btw, I'm a big fan of talapia. First, it's raised in the US. Second, if raised properly, the fish eat vegetation which their own waste causes to grow. Thus, if properly raised, talapia don't have commercial feed and antibiotics. The question of course is "who raised the fish."

This brings up a moral question that's been troubling me. The largest supplier of frozen fish here is aqua star. I read an article in natl geographic from last winter about how workers processing fish in N. China are treated. They must leave their children behind in their villages with relatives, and then live in cold dormatories, working long hours and are underfed. The couple in the natl geog article described how they cry when they leave their child during their once per year visit, and how they just try not to think of her during the year. I notice Aqua Star has a processign facility right there. Not owned by aqua star itself (of course it isn't) but more an independent contractor.

This sucks. But, without aqua star, these people would have even less. I need a frozen salmon filet for a brunch we're gonna do after my daughter has a church thing next month. Buy it, and get over it? Or find something else for the brunch?
bendog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 11:54 AM   #34
Sassy
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Eddie Royal

Fresh salmon vs. farm raised is the best!
Old 04-04-2007, 01:51 PM   #35
Garcia Bronco
Hokie since 1993

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tom Jackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassy View Post
Spicy Baked Shrimp
Submitted By: Sassy

4 Servings...

1/2 c. olive oil
2 T. cajun or creole seasoning
2 T. fresh lemon juice
2 T. fresh chopped parsley
1 lb. uncooked large shrimp, shelled and deveined
1 T. honey
1 T. soy sauce
Pinch of cayenne pepper

Combine all ingredients except shrimp in 9 X 13 baking pan. Add shrimp and toss to coat. Refrigerate 1 hour. Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Bake 10 minutes or until shrimp are cooked through...stirring occasionally. Garnish with lemon.
When you say shelled....does that mean with the shells still on them?
Garcia Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 06:14 PM   #36
Sassy
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Eddie Royal

No Shells!
Garcia...are you cooking?
Old 04-05-2007, 10:13 AM   #37
Sassy
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Eddie Royal

Anymore ideas?
Maybe I'll just grill it with some cajun seasoning!
Old 04-06-2007, 01:10 AM   #38
Garcia Bronco
Hokie since 1993

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tom Jackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassy View Post
No Shells!
Garcia...are you cooking?

I can cook...but I don't bake
Garcia Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 01:25 AM   #39
Sassy
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Eddie Royal

I cheated
I didn't like what they had for fresh fish so I bought frozen
chili-lime talapia.
Old 04-06-2007, 10:46 AM   #40
zdoor
Jamaica Bound!

Sorry it's probably too late but here's a great recipe for a Shrimp encrusted Halibut.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf Tour Recipe - Harbor Hut Halibut.pdf (138.5 KB, 143 views)
Old 04-06-2007, 01:37 PM   #41
Master___Pain
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Rock Hoover

Yo Z....I've been meaning to ask you this. I'm in Colorado Springs and I'm always looking for good fresh fish and have kind of settled in to Whole Foods. I know it's probably not the best place to be getting my fish from but I'm not sure of my alternatives. Do you or any one you supply to deal with any local fish markets here? I know it's a strange question to ask some one in CA, but you are in the fish business so I figured I'd take a shot.
Master___Pain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 05:39 PM   #42
Old Dude
Super Moderator

Consultant

A little O/T but I felt the need to quote Woody Allen somewhere:

"I will not eat oysters. I want my food dead. Not sick -- not wounded -- dead."
Old Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2007, 12:19 PM   #43
zdoor
Jamaica Bound!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master___Pain View Post
Yo Z....I've been meaning to ask you this. I'm in Colorado Springs and I'm always looking for good fresh fish and have kind of settled in to Whole Foods. I know it's probably not the best place to be getting my fish from but I'm not sure of my alternatives. Do you or any one you supply to deal with any local fish markets here? I know it's a strange question to ask some one in CA, but you are in the fish business so I figured I'd take a shot.
Sorry I don't know any suppliers in Colorado. I'm very familiar with Whole Foods in CA. I supply several stores and a good friend of mine who owns Superior Seafoods supply's the majority. In Ca. Whole Foods does one of the better jobs among grocery retailers. Can't speak for the shops in Colorado though. Generally specialized fish markets are always the best choice but they vary greatly depoending on ownership. Trust your eyes and nose when choosing fresh fish, generally they won't steer you wrong.
Old 04-09-2007, 02:55 PM   #44
Master___Pain
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Rock Hoover

Quote:
Sorry I don't know any suppliers in Colorado. I'm very familiar with Whole Foods in CA. I supply several stores and a good friend of mine who owns Superior Seafoods supply's the majority. In Ca. Whole Foods does one of the better jobs among grocery retailers. Can't speak for the shops in Colorado though. Generally specialized fish markets are always the best choice but they vary greatly depoending on ownership. Trust your eyes and nose when choosing fresh fish, generally they won't steer you wrong.
Cool, I had to take a shot and ask the OM expert. I used to work at Roy's restaurants and worked briefly in the kitchen so I got used to seeing great fish every day. I think I know what is good quality. There's a little fresh meat and fish market that opened just block away from my office. They seem to have pretty good fish, I got some sashimi quality Ahi from them last week that I made into sushi. It was very good. Problem is, they don't get the Hawaiian fish that I like some much like Opah, Opakapaka and Ono very often. Then again, even when I was in San Diego those fish were not that common to find in the local markets unless the market was calling me letting me know they had it.
Old 04-10-2007, 12:29 PM   #45
zdoor
Jamaica Bound!

Quote:
Cool, I had to take a shot and ask the OM expert. I used to work at Roy's restaurants and worked briefly in the kitchen so I got used to seeing great fish every day. I think I know what is good quality. There's a little fresh meat and fish market that opened just block away from my office. They seem to have pretty good fish, I got some sashimi quality Ahi from them last week that I made into sushi. It was very good. Problem is, they don't get the Hawaiian fish that I like some much like Opah, Opakapaka and Ono very often. Then again, even when I was in San Diego those fish were not that common to find in the local markets unless the market was calling me letting me know they had it.
I carry all the species you mentioned. I can ship to you if you like but the freight expense is outrageous. It will run you as much if not more than the seafood...
Old 04-10-2007, 05:26 PM   #46
Master___Pain
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Rock Hoover

Quote:
I carry all the species you mentioned. I can ship to you if you like but the freight expense is outrageous. It will run you as much if not more than the seafood...
I appreciate the offer, but as you said the cost is pretty ridiculous once the shipping is factored in. When I get out to Hawaii and Cali, I can get these fish. It's more of a treat that way.

Z, I have to ask, where'd you get you old time pic in your avatar taken? My gal and I have been looking all over for those. They used to seem to be very common, but now not so much. When I was a kid I had them done at Sea Port Village in San Diego.
Old 04-10-2007, 05:29 PM   #47
TailgateNut
Bleedin' orange!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Howard Griffith

Quote:
I appreciate the offer, but as you said the cost is pretty ridiculous once the shipping is factored in. When I get out to Hawaii and Cali, I can get these fish. It's more of a treat that way.

Z, I have to ask, where'd you get you old time pic in your avatar taken? My gal and I have been looking all over for those. They used to seem to be very common, but now not so much. When I was a kid I had them done at Sea Port Village in San Diego.

MP, you can get one down ( or up for you) at Heritage Square in Golden.
Old 04-10-2007, 05:45 PM   #48
Master___Pain
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Rock Hoover

Quote:
Originally Posted by TailgateNut View Post
MP, you can get one down ( or up for you) at Heritage Square in Golden.
Nice! We'll have to go check it out. It's a silly thing, but we both want to get one done. I appreciate the heads up.
Old 04-10-2007, 06:10 PM   #49
TailgateNut
Bleedin' orange!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Howard Griffith

Quote:
Nice! We'll have to go check it out. It's a silly thing, but we both want to get one done. I appreciate the heads up.
The lady who runs the studio down there does a great job and the prices are reasonable.
Old 04-10-2007, 06:48 PM   #50
zdoor
Jamaica Bound!

Quote:

That one was done at the Mid State Fair. Sounds like you got a spot now though...

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: