The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 04-01-2007, 08:46 PM   #526
JanaŽ
World's cutest Bronco Fan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ed McCaffrey ;)

Best place to read a book, in the sun, by the ocean. Preferably with a cold drink close by! (A nice looking man giving you a back massage as you read would be good too.. )

As for books I've read, I have gotten really bad at reading. I used to read everything under the sun, but I've sort of lost my attention span for it. I was on medication back in early 2004 for about a year, and it messed with my concentration for reading. I'm in the middle of a bunch of books right now, but I can't for some reason get into it like I used to. The book I am concentrating on right now is the Bible. (Not to turn this into a religious discussion, lol..)
JanaŽ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 12:25 AM   #527
Tredici
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassy View Post
Just finished The Lincoln Lawyer by Michael Connelly.
I love Micheal Connelly. I've read all his books. How about you? I liked the character he introduces in The Lincoln Lawyer and figure we will see him around again in the future. I like Harry Bosch better, though.

Just picked up Harlen Cohen's "Promise Me". After a long wait he's bringing back the character he started with. Myron Bolitar. A blown out knee NBA never made it, now a sports agent, with a murky CIA type past. Sounds bizarre but somehow Cohen makes it work. I love Myron!
Tredici is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 12:38 AM   #528
Sassy
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Eddie Royal

I think it's the first one I've read! I also liked the lawyer...I want to know which wife he gets back with! That was also one sick kid he defended!

My mom, sisters, grandma and I all exchange books and that one happen to be in the pile this time. I liked it though!

I just started Larry Brooks "Bait and Switch"...about a guy that's hired by a billionaire to have a fling with his ex-wife for a million bucks so he doesn't have to pay her 3 million a month alimony (prenup would be broken if she lived with a guy) but somehow the IRS/FBI are in on it. The IRS is trying to get the billionaire for tax fraud.

Boy this got interesting...hard to tell the bad guys from the good! !

Last edited by Sassy; 04-03-2007 at 06:58 PM..
Sassy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 06:54 PM   #529
Mtbrncofn
Ring of Famer

Quote:
June is going to be a busy reading month for you MT... hope you get to enjoy your books on a beach somewhere!
And I can't wait!

Actually, every month is a busy reading month for me. It's always been that way. I average about 3 books a week. It's my sedative at night. I cannot go to sleep without reading myself there.
Mtbrncofn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 02:08 AM   #530
Dagmar
...there ain't no devil

..there's just God when he's drunk.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tim Tebow

One of the AMAZING benefits of my job is getting advanced copies of books.

Author Khaled Hosseini (The Kite Runner) has a new book out at the end of May and we got the advanced (uncorrected proof) 2 weeks ago! This book is #45 in the Amazon sales rank, and it isn't out for 2 months! The only other book not out for a month in the top 100 is the new Harry Potter. Quite a benefit.

Any fans of the Kite Runner will NOT be disappointed.

Dagmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 10:45 AM   #531
Tredici
Ring of Famer

Just finished Coben's "Promise Me". As usual, he delivers.

Ben -- if this is one of the authors you haven't tried yet, give it a go. I don't think you'll be disappointed.

BTW - Dunning just had another one hit in paperback. The Bookwoman's Last Fling. It's on deck. Right now I'm going to start Ian Rankin's "A Question of Blood."

When I run out of things by my favorites and start looking around for someone new I tend to look at the list of books that have won the Edgar Award and try those writers. That's how I came by checking out Rankin.
Old 04-11-2007, 11:58 AM   #532
BroncoBuff

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MALIK+QUANTERUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tredici View Post
I love Micheal Connelly. I've read all his books. How about you? I liked the character he introduces in The Lincoln Lawyer and figure we will see him around again in the future.
Speaking of characters, when in Elvis Cole coming back?
BroncoBuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 12:25 PM   #533
Tredici
Ring of Famer

I don't know about Elvis but this one is just out and is about his sidekick - Joe Pike.
Attached Images

Old 04-11-2007, 07:04 PM   #534
No1BroncoFan
Old School

If you have to ask, you don't know

Quote:
Just finished Coben's "Promise Me". As usual, he delivers.

Ben -- if this is one of the authors you haven't tried yet, give it a go. I don't think you'll be disappointed.
On the list!

Quote:
BTW - Dunning just had another one hit in paperback. The Bookwoman's Last Fling. It's on deck. Right now I'm going to start Ian Rankin's "A Question of Blood."

When I run out of things by my favorites and start looking around for someone new I tend to look at the list of books that have won the Edgar Award and try those writers. That's how I came by checking out Rankin.
When I run out of favorites, I look at Hugo and Nebula award winners. I love reading and Sci-Fi/Fantasy will always be my first, truest love.

Ben
No1BroncoFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 07:15 PM   #535
No1BroncoFan
Old School

I've started something loooooooong overdue. Reading the great American classics. I put "Lord of the Flies" (believe it or not, I've never read it) on hold today. I'm also going to (finally) get around to some Twain (never read any that wasn't assigned in school, and didn't read most of those either) and Hemmingway (nope, never, not even one before now).

Sci-Fi fans, "Ender's Game" and "Ender's Shadow" by Orson Scott Card are MUST READ books! I have rarely been as entertained by any medium as I was with these. There are eight books in the "Ender" series (really two series of four books each with "Game" and "Shadow" being the first of each and you won't miss anything relavent to the story if you skip the ones in between), but these are definately the best of the bunch. For those of you who have read them, "Ender's Game" is coming to the big screen in '08 and I can hardly freakin' wait! Card has combined the two books ("Shadow" is a re-telling of "Game" from another character's perspective) to create yet a third version of this awesome tale.

Ben

Last edited by No1BroncoFan; 04-11-2007 at 07:27 PM..
Old 04-11-2007, 08:46 PM   #536
Sassy
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Eddie Royal

No time for reading NOW...the SCHEDULE is out...time to plan the tailgates, hotels and flights for the Bronco games
Old 04-11-2007, 09:55 PM   #537
No1BroncoFan
Old School

Quote:
No time for reading NOW...the SCHEDULE is out...time to plan the tailgates, hotels and flights for the Bronco games
There's always time for reading!

Ben
Old 04-11-2007, 09:57 PM   #538
Sassy
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Eddie Royal

I always read...
I can go to the library and pick up 6-8 books and have them read in a week!
Old 04-12-2007, 06:33 PM   #539
Mtbrncofn
Ring of Famer

Quote:
I always read...
I can go to the library and pick up 6-8 books and have them read in a week!
Same here! The library is one of my best friends, unless I'm far down on the waiting list for new books.
Old 04-13-2007, 10:36 PM   #540
No1BroncoFan
Old School

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtbrncofn View Post
Same here! The library is one of my best friends, unless I'm far down on the waiting list for new books.
I'm already #124 on the waiting list for "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows" on audio CD. Man am I glad I got in early. I love the library. It's more than just a best friend.

Ben
Old 04-13-2007, 11:37 PM   #541
Sassy
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Eddie Royal

The one thing about the library...sometimes the books get a little "gross"...who knows what people do while reading them!
I've had some paperbacks that were a little disgusting.
Old 04-17-2007, 06:54 PM   #542
Sassy
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Eddie Royal

Hey MT...Janet Evanovich , along with Leanne Banks, just released a book "Hot Stuff" in paperback. I picked it up today! It's copyright is april 2007 so hopefully it's a "new" one. (Not a Plum book though. ) It also says in the book "Lean Mean Thirteen" is due out soon!
Old 04-18-2007, 11:04 AM   #543
Mtbrncofn
Ring of Famer

Cool!
Old 04-18-2007, 03:40 PM   #544
Dagmar
...there ain't no devil

..there's just God when he's drunk.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tim Tebow

Dagmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 08:59 AM   #545
clarkster
Ring of Famer

most recently read Once an Eagle by Anton Myer(sp)
awesome story if youre into the horrors of war and like it when the good guy dies in the end.
clarkster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 06:40 PM   #546
No1BroncoFan
Old School

Justg picked up "Eragon" (had to see what all the hubub is about) and "Lord of the Flies on audio CD today. I'll start "Lord of the Flies" in the morning.

I'm almost done with the second book in Larry Niven's "Ringworld" series. The first two have been quite good reads.

Ben
Old 04-20-2007, 12:13 AM   #547
Mtbrncofn
Ring of Famer

Give a review of 'Eragon', Ben. It's not really my kind of book, but my daughter might like it.
Old 04-20-2007, 12:46 AM   #548
No1BroncoFan
Old School

Quote:
Give a review of 'Eragon', Ben. It's not really my kind of book, but my daughter might like it.
Will do. I love fantasy and I enjoy well written kids books (tho I think this one's aimed at the 12-15 crowd) so this one should be right up my alley.

Ben
Old 04-20-2007, 04:10 PM   #549
Old Dude
Super Moderator

Consultant

I need something pulpy and distracting so i'm going to pick up Jim Butcher's White Night (Dresden Files) and read it this weekend. Not exactly Shakespeare, but I need a lift.
Old Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 07:06 PM   #550
No1BroncoFan
Old School

Quote:
Ok, I finished "Eragon" the other day and here are my thoughts:
What's the big deal? It was a generic fantasy tale of a dragon and her rider that leaned heavily on fatasy works that have come before. If you're looking for a fresh version of the Pern books (which were definately getting stale until Todd McCaffrey started writhing), just read the first four or five again, or better yet, read the three that are written by Todd and rediscover the world of Pern from a fresh vantage. Eragon is not a bad book. In fact, I've placed a hold on the sequal "Eldest." But, it's not really a good book either. The plot concepts are too tired and cliche'd and being aimed at adolsecent readers their wasn't much done in the story telling (as there is in the Narnia series or the Harry Potter books) to cover these shortcomings. All in all, worth a read and probably a very good book for someone who hasn't been reading 2-5 books/week for over 30 years.

I'm hoping the series will improve as it progresses as so many series do (especially in the fantasy genre), hence the willingness to read the second book. Let me get through that one before I give a true thumbs-up (or -down).

Ben