The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Other Sports Discussion > MLB
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 04-02-2007, 06:17 PM   #1
DomCasual
This one's for Pat!

Shameless Homer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen
Default Rockies give O'Dowd, Hurdle contract extensions

So much for "Perform or else!" I don't get why they would extend them now - especially Hurdle.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2822814

Rockies give O'Dowd, Hurdle contract extensions
Associated Press

DENVER -- A summons from the general manager 23 years ago was bad news for Clint Hurdle, who was released by Seattle an hour before the season's first pitch.

This time, it was good news.

Hurdle received a two-year contract extension through 2009 on Monday, hours before the Colorado Rockies opened the season against the Arizona Diamondbacks.

"I had a very memorable opening day 23 years ago. I got released 63 minutes before the first pitch. So I have two perspectives to deal from," Hurdle said.

The Rockies also gave general manager Dan O'Dowd a two-year extension. Both he and Hurdle were entering the final year of their deals.

Team president Keli McGregor met with owners Dick and Charlie Monfort at the end of spring training to propose the two-year extension for O'Dowd, who is entering his eighth season as GM.

O'Dowd, in turn, offered a two-year extension to Hurdle, who is beginning his fifth season as Rockies manager.

"Clint and I are in this thing together," O'Dowd said. "For me it was part of the understanding of moving forward that Clint would move forward. I don't think it would have mattered one way or the other how he was going to manage this way club this year. It affords him the opportunity to see this thing through the way it should be seen through."

Hurdle has never had a winning record and took a 352-436 overall record into the opener. The Rockies finished 76-86 last year.

The extension caught Hurdle off guard.

"I was absolutely surprised. The most. Completely," Hurdle said. "I am humbled. Everyone in uniform knows we have unfinished business. I feel empowered by the confidence from the ownership. I am looking forward to help take this team to the next level, to make our fans proud and filling this place on a daily and nightly basis."

The Rockies are shooting for their first winning season since 2000.

"Nothing is going to change from my perspective in the way I was going to approach the season," Hurdle said.

McGregor said he thinks it's a realistic goal to win the NL West this season.

"I think this is a game of confidence," McGregor said. "There are guys that pitch on the side and can't take it to the mound with them. There are guys that can play golf tournaments, but can't play in majors. I think we have confidence. I think our ability to relax and be confident at this level is the difference between what we've been and what we could be."
DomCasual is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-02-2007, 08:38 PM   #2
Billy Clyde Puckett
Billy=Semi Tough Big Guy

Looking down on KC, SD and Oakland

Adopt-a-Bronco:
John Elway

Hurdle and ODowd don't bother me as much right now as the cheap azz owner. I sat close enough to him today that I could have hit him with an egg had I thought to bring one.
Billy Clyde Puckett is offline   Reply With Quote