The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Other Sports Discussion > NHL
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 03-30-2007, 02:37 AM   #1026
Mtbrncofn
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalBronco View Post
I hope the Avs beat Phoenix tonight and Minnesota has a huge third period for MT's birthday.
Well at least the first part worked out! Thanks to those assclowns in Minny, no ground gained.
Mtbrncofn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 09:34 AM   #1027
alkemical
Guerrilla Ontologist

rorrim|mirror

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Prima Materia

The pens won for you Mtn....
alkemical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 01:13 PM   #1028
Mtbrncofn
Ring of Famer

Hey thanks, ames!
Old 03-31-2007, 07:41 PM   #1029
Tredici
Ring of Famer

Okay. I had to go on a search for the thread. You slackers.

Great game at The Can today. Budaj was rock solid. Defense was a little ragged at times but the held on through a 40 second 5 on 3. That Harding guy is another biggie. Where are all these huge goalies coming from?

Anyway, are we ever going to include a shot from the point in the PP again? Was Blake the last one who could do that? I think Lyles could rocket one hard enough for a rebound try, but it isn't done. I can't remember the last time I saw any type of slapshot from the Avs.

Good win though.

Woot.
Tredici is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2007, 07:52 PM   #1030
Clockwork Orange
Persona Non Grata

I seen him!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tredici View Post
Okay. I had to go on a search for the thread. You slackers.

Great game at The Can today. Budaj was rock solid. Defense was a little ragged at times but the held on through a 40 second 5 on 3. That Harding guy is another biggie. Where are all these huge goalies coming from?

Anyway, are we ever going to include a shot from the point in the PP again? Was Blake the last one who could do that? I think Lyles could rocket one hard enough for a rebound try, but it isn't done. I can't remember the last time I saw any type of slapshot from the Avs.

Good win though.

Woot.
It just so happens that one of the hardest shooting defensemen in the NHL is going to be a UFA at seasons end.

Only problems are that he's somewhat deficient on the actual defensive side and the price for UFA defensemen is more inflated than minibar cashews. Still, if you're looking for a rocket shot from the blue line, he's your man.

Nice to see the boys still battling. 12-1-2 over their last 15 games, though it may not be enough to get them into the postseason, it definitely gives me a much better feeling about this team going into next season.

By the way, Peter Budaj tied the franchise record for wins in a month with his 11th in March. One more victory and he pushes his total to 30 for the season. Not bad for a kid who took over the starting duties in late December and who plays behind a mediocre defense.
Clockwork Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2007, 08:56 PM   #1031
Mtbrncofn
Ring of Famer

Great game, great win. Go Cansucks...ugh. It's like rooting for the Wings.
Old 04-01-2007, 01:57 AM   #1032
SoCalBronco
Nixonite

Adopt-a-Bronco:
D.J. Williams

Pen's plans aim to make life better for loyal fans
Sunday, April 01, 2007

By Mark Belko, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Elvis won't want to leave this building.

Not with the larger seats, more leg room, better views, more concessions, and high-definition video.

The Penguins are designing a new $290 million arena that will be fit for a king -- or better yet, for the fans who have endured roof leaks, obstructed views, and cramped concourses at the Igloo for years.

From a glass atrium that will span some five stories and offer views of the Downtown skyline to open concourses at each end that will allow people to catch the action below while buying a hot dog, the goal is to provide a "cutting-edge" experience for fans, Penguins President Ken Sawyer said.

"I just think we're going to have such a terrific building. People are going to be dazzled by the feel inside of it," he said.

The Penguins also will be looking out for the fans at home. They intend to invite broadcast crews and the National Hockey League into the new building to scout out the best locations for TV cameras, lock those in first, and then build around them.

"With HD technology, you particularly want to make sure you maximize the TV experience," Mr. Sawyer said.

The Penguins are working with HOK, the national architectural firm that designed PNC Park and Heinz Field, to develop plans for their new home, which will be built across the street from Mellon Arena. They've been crafting the design for nearly two months, even as they wrangled with state and local leaders to get a new arena deal.

While much of the work is still in the conceptual stage, the team has plenty of ideas to capitalize on the revenue-generating potential of the building.

What once was considered a curse -- the many years it took to get an arena deal in place -- now is working to the Penguins' advantage, as they are able to pick the best features of the newer arenas and incorporate them into their design.

Among the buildings that will serve as guides will be those in Minnesota, Columbus, Florida, Phoenix and Montreal.

The new arena will have about 18,500 seats, some 1,500 more than Mellon. The seats will be larger, with more leg room in the aisles, and "great sight lines from the lowest seat to the absolute highest," Mr. Sawyer said.

There will 65 to 70 suites; there are 50 at Mellon Arena. Mr. Sawyer said they will be larger than the current suites and closer to the ice. The suites also will have Internet access, concierge service and other amenities.

As in Mellon Arena, the Penguins plan to offer more expensive club seating between the blue lines. Fans with those seats also will have their own lounge, the major difference being this one will be at concourse level so they can watch the action rather than going inside without a view of the ice.

The Penguins are promising improved views for virtually all ticket holders. Seats generally will be closer to the ice. The team also is looking at design innovations to bring the upper end zone sections closer to the action.

There will be no obstructed views, as there are in Mellon Arena, where some ticket holders can't see the scoreboard and a few others don't have a look at center ice.

And there will be wider concourses, more concessions, some with a distinct Pittsburgh flavor, and more souvenir stations. In all, the new arena will total some 700,000 square feet, compared to 420,000 at Mellon.

The new scoreboard will feature larger video screens, with high definition capability. An LED board will ring the arena at the suite level and will be used for statistics, animation and advertising.

But with the improved views, better seats, and new amenities usually comes higher ticket prices. A Penguins spokesman said it was too early to discuss ticket prices, but the Steelers and Pirates both raised ticket prices when they moved into their new homes in 2001.

For Sidney Crosby and his teammates, the new arena will feature improved locker rooms and training and exercise facilities.

The players will be able to go directly to the locker room from the bench without having to cross the ice. There also will be a small theater in the locker room where coaches and players can watch tapes of opponents and other film.

Any palace fit for a king should have an entrance, and the new arena will be no exception. It will feature a glass atrium, rising from Fifth Avenue and spanning five stories.

There will be escalators to take fans to the ticketing level and the main concourse.

At the suite level, the team is planning a large restaurant facing Downtown, where diners will be able to look out at the skyline and watch the crowd coming into the arena. Above that, a brew pub is in the works, also with views of the skyline.

Mr. Sawyer said the atrium with its open feel and the views of Downtown and the Epiphany Church, which will sit in front of the arena, probably will be what visitors remember most about the building.

Just as Heinz Field has the Coca-Cola Great Hall, the Penguins also intend to pay homage to their on-the-ice legends.

Their proposed hall of fame, albeit smaller, will pay tribute to team history, the Penguins' Stanley Cup runs in the early 1990s, and, of course, Mario Lemieux. And, Mr. Sawyer said playfully, the team might set aside some space "for another player coming along" right now.

Construction of the arena is expected to begin in the fall. Mr. Sawyer said keeping the project within the $290 million budget will be a "challenge" but he added he believes it can be done.

"We certainly have that expectation as we sit here now," he said.

The construction will be funded with $15 million a year in slots gambling-related revenues and $4.2 million a year from the team.

Like Mayor Luke Ravenstahl, the Penguins hope to take advantage of the arena's newness to recruit more events and concerts. Mr. Sawyer said promoters like new buildings because they generally create a "buzz" and generate larger audiences.

The Penguins already have talked to NHL Commissioner Gary Bettman about bringing another All-Star Game to Pittsburgh. The last was here in 1990. They also have an interest in hosting the "Frozen Four," the NCAA hockey equivalent of the Final Four in basketball.

Mr. Sawyer said the Penguins also want to work with Pitt and Duquesne to bring the NCAA men's basketball tournament back. The city hosted the early rounds in 1997 and 2002.

"Clearly with college basketball being so significant here in Pittsburgh, I think we would be a great host city," he said. "We'll now have the capacity to do it."

But don't expect the National Basketball League to be part of the action. Mr. Sawyer said he doesn't believe a market the size of Pittsburgh can support professional basketball and hockey.

"It's just not possible," he said. "The NBA just wouldn't come here. The market's not big enough."

However, the Penguins might take a stab at bringing the U.S. Figure Skating Championships to Pittsburgh and maybe even national political conventions.

They also have a keen interest in hosting the NHL's annual entry draft, held each year in June. "Although we don't expect to be picking high," Mr. Sawyer added with a chuckle, because the teams with the worst records pick first.

(Mark Belko can be reached at mbelko@post-gazette.com or 412-263-1262. )

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07091/773908-61.stm
Old 04-01-2007, 03:07 AM   #1033
Jori
US Olympian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtbrncofn View Post
Great game, great win. Go Cansucks...ugh. It's like rooting for the Wings.
So much for that.

If you believe in miracles.....

Avs need to win all four of their games and have Calgary go 0-4-0 or 0-3-1. Safe to say the party is over. It was a great run for the Avs. It'll be nice to dump the dead wood in the offseason. This is a playoff team next year, barring crazy injuries and management spending foolishly in the off-season.

Somebody mention Souray. As much as I love the booming shot, I hope the Avs bring in somebody who can actually play defense.
Jori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 05:15 PM   #1034
Bronx33
lets go partner

Rumpson Rocks

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Woodyard

The flames are pissin me off!
Bronx33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 06:15 PM   #1035
Pendejo
The off-season.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
"The Greek"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronx33 View Post
The flames are pissin me off!
Yeah, but you have to give credit where it is due. (Don't you?) The Flames felt the Avs breathing down their necks, and have gone on a pretty impressive winning streak. They've knocked off some top teams.

F Kurt Sauer for playing like a p***Y for most of his career, and finally understanding that he really is a big guy...just a tad too late.

Under the leadership of the ageless Joe Sakic...the Avs and their gang of high scoring youngster and Milan Hejduk will be right back in the hunt next year.
Pendejo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 06:28 PM   #1036
Bronx33
lets go partner

Rumpson Rocks

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Woodyard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pendejo View Post
Yeah, but you have to give credit where it is due. (Don't you?) The Flames felt the Avs breathing down their necks, and have gone on a pretty impressive winning streak. They've knocked off some top teams.

F Kurt Sauer for playing like a p***Y for most of his career, and finally understanding that he really is a big guy...just a tad too late.

Under the leadership of the ageless Joe Sakic...the Avs and their gang of high scoring youngster and Milan Hejduk will be right back in the hunt next year.

Of course but they are still pissin me off
Old 04-03-2007, 04:42 PM   #1037
Clockwork Orange
Persona Non Grata

I seen him!

Peter Budaj named 1st Star for the month of March.

http://www.nhl.com/nhl/app/?service=...ticleid=298541

Budaj posted a 10-0-2 record with a 2.24 goals-against average and .910 save percentage in 13 games as the Avalanche remained in the Western Conference playoff chase by earning points in 13 of 14 contests. The 24-year-old native of Banska Bystrica, Slovakia allowed three goals or fewer in 11 of 13 games, including his fifth career shutout in a 2-0 victory at Boston March 6, and tied the franchise record for goaltender wins in a month set by Daniel Bouchard with the Quebec Nordiques in February, 1981. Budaj improved his season record to 29-15-6 with a 2.70 goals-against average, .905 save percentage and three shutouts.
Old 04-03-2007, 04:46 PM   #1038
alkemical
Guerrilla Ontologist

rorrim|mirror

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Prima Materia

In case you missed it two weekends ago, the NHL on NBC (Bruins-Penguins and Rangers-Islanders, regionally) drew a larger national audience than ABC's NBA telecast (Suns-Kings).
alkemical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 04:48 PM   #1039
bronco militia
OMG...this is horrible!

THE GREATEST

go avs tonight...

go flames if they match up with the Wings in the 1st round

Last edited by bronco militia; 04-03-2007 at 04:50 PM..
bronco militia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 07:49 PM   #1040
Pendejo
The off-season.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
"The Greek"

Quote:
Originally Posted by claviculasolomonis View Post
In case you missed it two weekends ago, the NHL on NBC (Bruins-Penguins and Rangers-Islanders, regionally) drew a larger national audience than ABC's NBA telecast (Suns-Kings).
I watched the Rangers/Isles game, so I did my part I guess. The NHL with all of it's problems is still a superior product to what they put out on an NBA court.
Old 04-03-2007, 07:57 PM   #1041
Mtbrncofn
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by claviculasolomonis View Post
Wow!

Well tonight is make or break for the Avs. Go Avs!
Old 04-03-2007, 08:53 PM   #1042
Jori
US Olympian

Avs sign Chris Stewart
Jori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 08:54 PM   #1043
Clockwork Orange
Persona Non Grata

I seen him!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jori View Post
Avs sign Chris Stewart

Now get Hensick's deal done.
Old 04-03-2007, 11:41 PM   #1044
clean
Dazed And Frantic

Avs lead 3 to 2 late in the second period.

http://scores.espn.go.com/nhl/boxscore?gameId=270403003
clean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 12:04 AM   #1045
Pendejo
The off-season.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
"The Greek"

Quote:
Originally Posted by clean View Post
Avs lead 3 to 2 late in the second period.

http://scores.espn.go.com/nhl/boxscore?gameId=270403003
Sakic has three assists so far...giving him 94 points on the season.

(Edit: Add a goal for Sakic to the tally...95 points.)

Last edited by Pendejo; 04-04-2007 at 12:21 AM..
Old 04-04-2007, 12:39 AM   #1046
Clockwork Orange
Persona Non Grata

I seen him!

Avs win 4-3 to keep their season alive for the moment. Peter Budaj picks up his 30th win of the season.

Let me just say that if I've got a big game that I have to win, I'll take Joe Sakic on my side over anyone in the NHL.
Old 04-04-2007, 12:42 AM   #1047
Bronx33
lets go partner

Rumpson Rocks

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Woodyard

Thank god that blatant dive by phenuef* didn't cost us the win that ref should be ashamed he fell for that weak attempt.
Old 04-04-2007, 12:50 AM   #1048
Breck Bronc
Roland Deschain

The Gunslinger

Great win by a team I'm proud to root for, even if they don't make the playoffs.

Joe Sakic has officially moved past John Elway as my favorite athlete ever. The guy is amazing on the ice and a better person off it. It's been an honor to watch him for the last 13 years.
Breck Bronc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 12:54 AM   #1049
Bronx33
lets go partner

Rumpson Rocks

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Woodyard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breck Bronc View Post
Great win by a team I'm proud to root for, even if they don't make the playoffs.

Joe Sakic has officially moved past John Elway as my favorite athlete ever. The guy is amazing on the ice and a better person off it. It's been an honor to watch him for the last 13 years.

Moved ahead of dino into 15th all time and 1 behind bobby hull.
Old 04-04-2007, 01:51 AM   #1050
Dukes
Ring of Famer

I didn't get a chance to watch the game, no suprise it wasn't televised in Cali. Although my wife did seem suprised by my joyous outburst after seeing the final score!
Dukes is offline   Reply With Quote