The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 03-23-2007, 12:01 AM   #126
Clockwork Orange
Persona Non Grata

I seen him!

Quote:
Originally Posted by phisig150 View Post
Call your bookies. My boys in blue are taking it this year. 1988 redux. Go Dodgers. And what do your Rockies (Rookies?) have against Helton? He's probably the one Rockie I ever even remotely rooted for.
If you're gonna dream, might as well dream big.
Clockwork Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 02:07 AM   #127
phisig150
Atwater Hit Squad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clockwork Orange View Post
If you're gonna dream, might as well dream big.
It's not a dream my friend. Nice mix of vets and upcoming talent. Deep starting pitching. Dodgers don't really have a big bat ala '88 (Gibson was decent powerwise but not exactly intimadating). Dodgers will, like in their best years rely on strong pitching and mauifacture runs the smart/hard way. I'm just trying to help my fellow Bronco fans make a little pocket change..
phisig150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 02:49 AM   #128
Clockwork Orange
Persona Non Grata

I seen him!

http://colorado.rockies.mlb.com/news...=.jsp&c_id=col

Several Rockies moves. Barmes sent to AAA which means that Tulowitzki will be the starting shortstop. Sullivan to AAA which means that Willy Tavares gets the nod in centerfield. The Byunger goes to the bullpen.

One week until the season starts.
Old 03-29-2007, 04:57 PM   #129
Clockwork Orange
Persona Non Grata

I seen him!

Gagne to start the season on the DL

Hope you all handcuffed him to Otsuka in your drafts.
Old 03-31-2007, 07:45 PM   #130
Clockwork Orange
Persona Non Grata

I seen him!

Bump! 24 hours to the first pitch.
Old 03-31-2007, 11:43 PM   #131
Clockwork Orange
Persona Non Grata

I seen him!

http://www.rockymountainnews.com/drm...455665,00.html

COLORADO SPRINGS - The Rockies spent the spring getting a glimpse of their new- look lineup.

They liked what they saw.

They have speed at the top with center fielder Willy Taveras and second baseman Kaz Matsui.

They have balanced run production in the middle with a 3- 4-5-6 alignment of right-handed-hitting Garrett Atkins, left- handed-hitting Todd Helton, right-handed-hitting Matt Holliday and left-handed-hitting Brad Hawpe.

And they have the new kids on the block, rookies Troy Tulowitzki and Chris Iannetta, who will hit 7-8 and show signs of providing some life at the bottom of the order, where the Rockies have struggled severely in recent years.

"It evolved at its own pace, but I think the guys embraced it," manager Clint Hurdle said. "It already has shown teeth. It was only spring training, but that is the only lab we have to use. It's where we can test things to see if they work."

This test was positive.

The Rockies did finish with a .301 Cactus League average, the sixth best in baseball. They were third in the majors in stolen bases, with 33, two back of the Mets and 21 fewer than the Angels. It was the fourth-highest spring stolen-base total in Rockies history, and their .733 success rate also was the fourth best. They were ninth in the majors in runs scored, with 175, but played a major league- fewest 28 games.

Now comes the challenge of carrying that offensive approach into the regular season, where Hurdle has vowed the Rockies will be more aggressive.

They haven't had 100 stolen bases in any of the past four seasons and haven't had a player steal more than 14 in any of those seasons.

"It's time to open up things a bit," Hurdle said.

The Rockies are ready.

They feel the left-right-left- right combo will provide for offensive explosions, feeding off the speed at the top of the lineup that can be disruptive to the opposition.

"I've never played on a team with that kind of speed, but I have played against teams that had two guys at the top like that, and I know how hard it is," Helton said. "I know the pressure it puts on the defense. When those kinds of guys get on base, you think they are going.

"The pitcher starts worrying about holding the runner and the catcher is trying everything he can to keep him from taking that extra base. It's like last year with (Rafael) Furcal and (Kenny) Lofton in Los Angeles. You were focused on trying to keep them off base."

In their first 14 years of existence, the Rockies have had only six players steal more than 30 bases in a season. Eric Young did it four times. Juan Pierre did it twice. Tom Goodwin, Larry Walker, Ellis Burks and Dante Bichette did it once apiece.

The most successful running team the Rockies had was in 1996, when they had that blend of speed and power and became the only team to surpass the 200 level in stolen bases and home runs in the same season.

Could the Rockies duplicate that this year?

"Let's see how things play out and see what happens," Hurdle said.

Brad Hawpe, for one, believes the presence of Taveras and Matsui will translate into bigger and better things all the way down the lineup.

"It gives us an extra out each inning when you have someone who can steal second base," Hawpe said. "You don't have to bunt him over. It gives you one more shot to pick up a run. Maybe it will be the difference in getting me up one more time or Holliday up one more time."

And of course there is Helton, who has moved back up into the middle of the lineup after finishing last season hitting fifth, where he was coupled with Hawpe, allowing opponents to bring in a left-handed pitcher to face both of them without hesitation.

"Atkins and Holliday had great years last year, but Helton is still the top dog," Hawpe said. "He's healthy and strong this year."

Plus, Holliday might be moved down a spot in the lineup, but he figures to benefit from the move.

"We've got a situation now where if the other team wants to bring in a left-hander to face Todd, Holliday's going to get a shot at him, too, if they want him to stay in and face me," Hawpe said. "That's good for me, because that gives me one more batter to watch him and focus in."
Old 04-01-2007, 04:22 PM   #132
Clockwork Orange
Persona Non Grata

I seen him!

Prince Fielder's already there and now the son of another former major leaguer will open the season on the Brewers roster.

Tony Gwynn Jr. makes Milwaukee's 25 man roster
Old 04-01-2007, 08:13 PM   #133
Clockwork Orange
Persona Non Grata

I seen him!

Play ball!!
Old 04-01-2007, 08:14 PM   #134
WABronco
WE SUCK AGAIN

All dat force

Yeaaaaaaaaaaaaa boyyyyyyyyy
WABronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 08:38 PM   #135
-Slap-
Ring of Famer

I'll tell you this, if I'm a guy like So Taguchi, who only gets off the bench a couple times a week, there's not a chance in hell 40 year old Moises Alou is going to take an extra base on me like that.
-Slap- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 09:43 PM   #136
Clockwork Orange
Persona Non Grata

I seen him!

It may be more than a couple of weeks before we see Taguchi out there again after he drops a fly ball to put Jose Reyes on base.
Old 04-01-2007, 10:26 PM   #137
-Slap-
Ring of Famer

Tough night, eh?

Might be time to pick up Duncan. LaRussa might give him a chance against lefties now. Not like his defense is any better, though. So's game tonight is pretty much an average game in the field for Duncan.......
-Slap- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 09:39 PM   #138
WABronco
WE SUCK AGAIN

All dat force

Felix on opening day=8 IP, 3 hits, 2 BB, 0 R, 12 K

LOOK OUT AL
Old 04-02-2007, 10:24 PM   #139
Clockwork Orange
Persona Non Grata

I seen him!

Luckiest trade so far of the young roto season has to be me swapping Chone Figgins for King Felix.

Keep dealing, big man.
Old 04-02-2007, 10:28 PM   #140
Pendejo
The off-season.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
"The Greek"

Quote:
Luckiest trade so far of the young roto season has to be me swapping Chone Figgins for King Felix.

Keep dealing, big man.
Holy cripes...I like Chone Figgins...but you pantsed the guy who made that trade. What was the person's rationale in making that deal? Were you privy?

Also...great avatar/message below it.
Pendejo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 10:33 PM   #141
OrangeShadow
armed

and dangerous

ugh today was ugly
OrangeShadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 10:41 PM   #142
Clockwork Orange
Persona Non Grata

I seen him!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pendejo View Post
Holy cripes...I like Chone Figgins...but you pantsed the guy who made that trade. What was the person's rationale in making that deal? Were you privy?

Also...great avatar/message below it.
He wanted Figgins pretty bad and had been making trade offers for him since the night of the draft. About a week went by and I thought he'd let it go, but he sent me a message inquiring about Figgins again. I looked at who he had on the league trade block and saw King Felix there. I offered him a one for one swap and he took it.

His reasoning for wanting Figgins was that he needed an outfield upgrade. His best outfielder prior to the deal was Jeff Francouer. He still needs an outfield upgrade and keeps making me laughable offers for Vlad Guerrero. I dunno, maybe he feels like I owe him one.

Either way, I'm happy to have King Felix to go along with Kazmir, Smoltz & Harden.
Old 04-02-2007, 10:41 PM   #143
Kid A
Ring of Famer

I don't need love. I just need wins

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Rahim Moore

How 'bout those Royals! Gil Meche lived up to his payroll today. Don't know what to expect for the rest of the season, but today was fun.
Kid A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 10:43 PM   #144
Pendejo
The off-season.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
"The Greek"

Quote:
He wanted Figgins pretty bad and had been making trade offers for him since the night of the draft. About a week went by and I thought he'd let it go, but he sent me a message inquiring about Figgins again. I looked at who he had on the league trade block and saw King Felix there. I offered him a one for one swap and he took it.

His reasoning for wanting Figgins was that he needed an outfield upgrade. His best outfielder prior to the deal was Jeff Francouer. He still needs an outfield upgrade and keeps making me laughable offers for Vlad Guerrero. I dunno, maybe he feels like I owe him one.

Either way, I'm happy to have King Felix to go along with Kazmir, Smoltz & Harden.
Last I heard Figgins was going to play third base.
Old 04-02-2007, 10:46 PM   #145
WABronco
WE SUCK AGAIN

All dat force

Quote:

Wow...that has to feel realllly good.

You should deal Vlad before he plays Seattle (and, more importantly, Jose Guillen). HAhashahahaaha
Old 04-02-2007, 10:50 PM   #146
WABronco
WE SUCK AGAIN

All dat force

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid A View Post
How 'bout those Royals! Gil Meche lived up to his payroll today. Don't know what to expect for the rest of the season, but today was fun.
Yea I was happy to see that. Never really got into all the Meche hating that went on towards the end of last year. I was hoping we would re-sign him, but that 55 mil is a little too much for my taste.

Plus he beat Boston. I hate the Red Sox. I'm looking forward to Seattle sweeping their asses in their home-opening series (orangeshadow).

Old 04-02-2007, 11:44 PM   #147
Clockwork Orange
Persona Non Grata

I seen him!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pendejo View Post
Last I heard Figgins was going to play third base.
He's eligible at SS, 3B and OF in CBS leagues.
Old 04-02-2007, 11:48 PM   #148
Pendejo
The off-season.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
"The Greek"

Quote:
He's eligible at SS, 3B and OF in CBS leagues.
Hah! Chone Figgins = Bip Roberts...except he's a better ball player...anyway you slice it...you won.
Old 04-03-2007, 12:08 AM   #149
SoCalBronco
Nixonite

Adopt-a-Bronco:
D.J. Williams

Got a beat down today from the Tribe...hopefully we can rebound tomorrow. Go Sox.

SoCalBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 01:11 AM   #150
Taco John
24/7 Broncos

All Hail King Midas

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning

Damn... My boy Eric Bedard got shelled out there. 6 runs in 4.2 innings... Ouch. I watched part of that game. Johan Santana had some trouble with the bats himself. There was a lot of hitting in that one.

Oswalt had a hell of a outing that Lidge went out an blew. Shame...

Last edited by Taco John; 04-03-2007 at 01:50 AM..
Taco John is offline   Reply With Quote