The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Jibba Jabba > Off Topics Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 02-12-2007, 03:40 PM   #26
Bronco_Beerslug
Angling in the Deep

Quote:
Originally Posted by watermock View Post
Noone really knows why the plankton is dying either. It's all theoretical from Ozone layer to pollution to disease.

I really enjoy my Alaskan Walleye(Pollock)...it's so overfished it's absurd. It's a very nice clean tasting fish.
Yummy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by watermock View Post
The fjords have frozen up around greenland and yes, Polar Bears have been floating to Iceland. Not an invasion, and not unheard of recently.
This would be the first they have heard about it.
Bronco_Beerslug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 03:40 PM   #27
alkemical
Guerrilla Ontologist

rorrim|mirror

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Prima Materia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garcia Bronco View Post
Nature will balances itself out. No need to worry
Ænema - tool

Some say the end is near. Some say we'll see armageddon soon. I certainly hope we will. I sure could use a vacation from this bull**** three ring circus sideshow of Freaks here in this hopeless ****ing hole we call LA The only way to fix it is to flush it all away. Any ****ing time. Any ****ing day. Learn to swim, I'll see you down in Arizona bay. Fret for your figure and Fret for your latte and Fret for your hairpiece and Fret for your lawsuit and Fret for your prozac and Fret for your pilot and Fret for your contract and Fret for your car. It's a bull**** three ring circus sideshow of freaks here in this hopeless ****ing hole we call LA The only way to fix it is to flush it all away. Any ****ing time. Any ****ing day. Learn to swim, I'll see you down in Arizona bay. Some say a comet will fall from the sky. Followed by meteor showers and tidal waves. Followed by faultlines that cannot sit still. Followed by millions of dumbfounded dip****s. Some say the end is near. Some say we'll see armageddon soon. I certainly hope we will cuz I sure could use a vacation from this Silly ****, stupid ****... One great big festering neon distraction, I've a suggestion to keep you all occupied. Learn to swim. Mom's gonna fix it all soon. Mom's comin' round to put it back the way it ought to be. Learn to swim. **** L Ron Hubbard and **** all his clones. **** all those gun-toting Hip gangster wannabes. Learn to swim. **** retro anything. **** your tattoos. **** all you junkies and **** your short memory. Learn to swim. **** smiley glad-hands With hidden agendas. **** these dysfunctional, Insecure actresses. Learn to swim. Cuz I'm praying for rain and I'm praying for tidal waves I wanna see the ground give way. I wanna watch it all go down. Mom please flush it all away. I wanna watch it go right in and down. I wanna watch it go right in. Watch you flush it all away. Time to bring it down again. Don't just call me pessimist. Try and read between the lines. I can't imagine why you wouldn't Welcome any change, my friend. I wanna see it all come down. suck it down. flush it down.
alkemical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 03:48 PM   #28
Stormontheplains
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Andre Hall

Bush is killing the bees, we must get him out of office. You would think that the Bee population would have increased from 1992-2000 with clinton as president. Obviously someone didnt tell the bees a democrat was in office
Stormontheplains is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 03:49 PM   #29
Archer81
Optimum Homo

Tactical Neck.

uhh...ok. I am sure if Sharks are dying off in the north atlantic, the population of sharks in the south atlantic are probably at replacement level or booming. If plankton is dying in the indian ocean, maybe its booming in the pacific or arctic. Earth is not out of whack where all bees everywhere die all at once.

Archer81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 05:04 PM   #30
KillerBronco#76
Perennial Pro-bowler

"The Beast" From the east

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronco_Beerslug View Post

This would be the first they have heard about it.

Actualy I remember reading about this, iceland and greenland have been bucking the trend of the rest of the world and have been consistantly getting colder. Its been a pretty big problem for the fishing industry in iceland they cant fish with the ice in the way.
KillerBronco#76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 05:18 PM   #31
Archer81
Optimum Homo

Tactical Neck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillerBronco#76 View Post
Actualy I remember reading about this, iceland and greenland have been bucking the trend of the rest of the world and have been consistantly getting colder. Its been a pretty big problem for the fishing industry in iceland they cant fish with the ice in the way.

Remember reading something about the ice sheet on Antarctica getting thicker. Considering you can never get a straight answer on global warming, I look at it with a high amount of skepticism.

Old 02-12-2007, 05:20 PM   #32
Bronco_Beerslug
Angling in the Deep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillerBronco#76 View Post
Well, according to an Iceland newspaper it hasn't happened (polar bear sighting) since the late 80s and according to scientists Greenland is losing it's ice sheet at record pace.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirhcyennek81 View Post
Remember reading something about the ice sheet on Antarctica getting thicker. Considering you can never get a straight answer on global warming, I look at it with a high amount of skepticism.
In grade school?
Old 02-12-2007, 05:29 PM   #33
Archer81
Optimum Homo

Tactical Neck.

Quote:
Well, according to an Iceland newspaper it hasn't happened (polar bear sighting) since the late 80s and according to scientists Greenland is losing it's ice sheet at record pace.

In grade school?

NYPost. A month or so ago. You ever wonder why Al Gore runs around predicting floods of 20 feet or more on coasts, and the UN report only comes up with 17 inches?

Old 02-12-2007, 05:32 PM   #34
Archer81
Optimum Homo

Tactical Neck.

Not the article I read, but interesting.

http://www.newscientist.com/article.ns?id=dn1806

Old 02-12-2007, 05:33 PM   #35
Archer81
Optimum Homo

Tactical Neck.

Again, Interesting.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/4565935.stm

Old 02-12-2007, 05:35 PM   #36
uk bronco
Seasoned Veteran

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tom Nalen

Iceland's fisheries will be fine cos they didnt join the EU so they still have control of their waters hence the cod wars with Norway (also not an EU state). The UK waters are open to some Spanish boats cos they bought UK fishing licences. Underreporting of catches in UK waters is estimated at 25-30% above the quota set by the EU. I'd imagine its about the same in the USA if you guys have catch quotas
uk bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 05:54 PM   #37
Rock Chalk
Cheeky Bastards

Laus Deo

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

Hey, this just in, new evidence suggests maybe man isnt quite as completely and totally responsible for climate change after all.

http://www.theage.com.au/news/world/...128899045.html

Still early, but here's the point if you manage to read between the lines:

THEY STILL DONT KNOW.

Still, probably a good idea to start making changes anyway.
Rock Chalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 06:00 PM   #38
Bronx33
lets go partner

Rumpson Rocks

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Woodyard

All i want to know is will the price of honey go up?
Bronx33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 06:01 PM   #39
Archer81
Optimum Homo

Tactical Neck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alec View Post
Hey, this just in, new evidence suggests maybe man isnt quite as completely and totally responsible for climate change after all.

http://www.theage.com.au/news/world/...128899045.html

Still early, but here's the point if you manage to read between the lines:

THEY STILL DONT KNOW.

Still, probably a good idea to start making changes anyway.

Thats why I am leery of global warming. You can say 10,000 scientists agree global warming is the result of mankind. Another 10,000 will say mankind is not. We have only been watching the climate and weather for less then 60 years, and we get it wrong all the time. How can you legitimately trust people who comment or study weather? They cant get it right 2 days ahead of time, but we are going to listen to them on what will happen 100 years from now?

Old 02-12-2007, 06:03 PM   #40
alkemical
Guerrilla Ontologist

rorrim|mirror

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Prima Materia

Quote:
Thats why I am leery of global warming. You can say 10,000 scientists agree global warming is the result of mankind. Another 10,000 will say mankind is not. We have only been watching the climate and weather for less then 60 years, and we get it wrong all the time. How can you legitimately trust people who comment or study weather? They cant get it right 2 days ahead of time, but we are going to listen to them on what will happen 100 years from now?

exaclty
Old 02-12-2007, 06:06 PM   #41
Bronx33
lets go partner

Rumpson Rocks

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Woodyard

Quote:

Yep our weatherman has a 70% chance of being 30% wrong and that's no joke
Bronx33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 06:09 PM   #42
Bronco_Beerslug
Angling in the Deep

Quote:
Yeah it is interesting..

Quote:
However, the scientists worry the overall mass of the Antarctic may be decreasing because ice near the coasts is melting, possibly at a greater rate.
Antarctic Ice Sheet Is Melting Rapidly
New Study Warns Of Rising Sea Levels

By Juliet Eilperin
Washington Post Staff Writer
Friday, March 3, 2006; Page A01

The Antarctic ice sheet is losing as much as 36 cubic miles of ice a year in a trend that scientists link to global warming, according to a new paper that provides the first evidence that the sheet's total mass is shrinking significantly.
CONT.
Old 02-12-2007, 06:27 PM   #43
Archer81
Optimum Homo

Tactical Neck.

Quote:
The Antarctic ice sheet is losing as much as 36 cubic miles of ice a year in a trend that scientists link to global warming, according to a new paper that provides the first evidence that the sheet's total mass is shrinking significantly.
CONT.

So somewhere else another icesheet is gaining 36 cubic miles a year, leaving a net of 0, thats the point.

Old 02-12-2007, 06:31 PM   #44
Bronco_Beerslug
Angling in the Deep

Quote:
So somewhere else another icesheet is gaining 36 cubic miles a year, leaving a net of 0, thats the point.
Mars maybe? I hear they think there is water there.

But no, not on our planet.

-------------------------------------------------------------
New climate report too rosy, experts say
The recent melting of ice sheets in Greenland and Antarctica means a global warming report due this week is missing the big picture, said some experts who warn its predictions should be even worse.
BY SETH BORENSTEIN
Associated Press

WASHINGTON - Later this week in Paris, climate scientists will issue a dire forecast for the planet that warns of slowly rising sea levels and higher temperatures.

But that may be the sugarcoated version.

Although early drafts of their upcoming authoritative report on climate change foresee smaller sea-level rises than were projected in the last report in 2001, many top U.S. scientists reject these rosier numbers. Those calculations don't include the recent, and dramatic, melt-off of big ice sheets in two crucial locations:
CONT.

Last edited by Bronco_Beerslug; 02-12-2007 at 06:34 PM..
Old 02-12-2007, 06:55 PM   #45
Archer81
Optimum Homo

Tactical Neck.

Quote:
Mars maybe? I hear they think there is water there.
You buy global warming as a legitimate science. I do not, not when you have every other scientist saying something different. One ice sheet melts, another thickens. Drought in mexico, increased rainfall in africa. Not a single climatologist has a single clue how anything works. If the earth is more polluted, wouldnt that increase the amount of particles in the air that acutally would reflect solar radiation and light, making the earth cooler?

Old 03-21-2007, 01:49 PM   #46
alkemical
Guerrilla Ontologist

rorrim|mirror

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Prima Materia

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/e...on/6464531.stm

Beetle re-emerges after 60 years
A beetle thought to be extinct in the UK since the 1940s has been rediscovered in south Devon.
The short-necked oil beetle was found by an amateur entomologist during a wildlife survey on National Trust (NT) land between Bolt Head and Bolt Tail.

The beetles were last recorded at Chailey Common, Sussex in 1948.

Up to 40 of the insects, which survive by hitching rides on miner bees as larvae and then eating the bees' eggs, were found at the Devon site.
The beetle, which gets its name from the highly toxic oil secretions it produces when threatened, is also known as Meloe brevicollis.

The adult beetles, which live for about three months, lay up to 1,000 eggs in a burrow in soft or sandy soil and eggs hatch in the following spring.

Once they have hatched the young larvae crawl up on to vegetation, often lying in wait in flowers, for an unsuspecting mining bee to give them a lift to the bee's nest.
Old 03-21-2007, 02:34 PM   #47
BroncoBuff

Playing for January

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MALIK+QUANTERUS

Quote:
Thats why I am leery of global warming. You can say 10,000 scientists agree global warming is the result of mankind. Another 10,000 will say mankind is not.
How could you be so wrong? Not just a wrong opinion, but 100 PERCENT WRONG on facts. There are no "10,000 scientists who disagree," and indeed there is no longer ANY DEBATE WHATSOEVER in the scientific community about whether man is the leading contributor to global warming.

February 7, 2006:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Washington Post
An international panel of climate scientists said yesterday that there is an overwhelming probability that human activities are warming the planet at a dangerous rate, with consequences that could soon take decades or centuries to reverse.

The Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change, made up of hundreds of scientists from 113 countries, said that based on new research over the last six years, it is 90 percent certain that human-generated greenhouse gases account for most of the global rise in temperatures over the past half-century.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...020200192.html

I'm liberal/progressive, but I am NOT an environmentalist. I strongly advocate drilling in ANWaR ... starting yesterday. Stab a straw deep in the ground, and suck it dry. I'm also not a Gore "carbon footprint" wacko. Nothing anybody does in the USA, or in the West generally, matters much anymore. China and India are 10x our size, and they show zero inclination to put the brakes on the fastest industrialization in history. We'll be lucky if they agree to any environmental regulation.

I'll grant you that Sally Next-door and those like her buying hybrid cars for example, have ZERO afect on the problem. It's 99% about making Sally feel good about herself and looking good to her friends. But that does not mean global warming is a myth - or man is not responsible. It just means there's nothing we can really do about it.
BroncoBuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 02:46 PM   #48
Archer81
Optimum Homo

Tactical Neck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoBuff View Post
How could you be so wrong? Not just a wrong opinion, but 100 PERCENT WRONG on facts. There are no "10,000 scientists who disagree," and indeed there is no longer ANY DEBATE WHATSOEVER in the scientific community about whether man is the leading contributor to global warming.

February 7, 2006:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...020200192.html

I'm liberal/progressive, but I am NOT an environmentalist. I strongly advocate drilling in ANWaR ... starting yesterday. Stab a straw deep in the ground, and suck it dry. I'm also not a Gore "carbon footprint" wacko. Nothing anybody does in the USA, or in the West generally, matters much anymore. China and India are 10x our size, and they show zero inclination to put the brakes on the fastest industrialization in history. We'll be lucky if they agree to any environmental regulation.

I'll grant you that Sally Next-door and those like her buying hybrid cars for example, have ZERO afect on the problem. It's 99% about making Sally feel good about herself and looking good to her friends. But that does not mean global warming is a myth - or man is not responsible. It just means there's nothing we can really do about it.

For every scientist that says man is the primary cause of climate change, you can find another who will say man is not. That is what I meant, and that is exactly the problem, there is NO consensus on what effect mankind has on climate. I am not saying man has no impact at all, but I find it hard to believe the oceans will rise 20 feet in the next 100 years, or that the north pole will become an expanse of open water simply because I choose a car that gets 10 mpg less then a hybrid. I dont think placing "greenhouse" caps on our industry will change anything, specifically because India and China are become industrial giants. Technology will find an answer, placing ridiculous limits on western economic and industrial growth because you dont want the temp to rise a .10th of a degree is ****ing stupid.

Old 03-21-2007, 02:50 PM   #49
Rohirrim
Partisan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

If humanity would get on the same page about all of this, and realize that we must reduce the human population, we could cut it in half in just a few generations. And those people would be living in paradise.
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 02:50 PM   #50
Los Broncos
Broncos Country

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ryan Clady

I hate spiders, but bees are ok.
Los Broncos is offline   Reply With Quote