The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 02-25-2007, 08:43 PM   #76
elsid13
Lost In Space

Bóg, Honor, Ojczyzna

Beckett will be fine this year, especial now that he had a full season in AL and won't get so worked up trying to impress everyone.
elsid13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2007, 08:55 PM   #77
minibronco
KFFL Writer/Fantasy Scout

Defense: 11 Strong

Is there gonna be an official Fantasy Baseball Help Thread? :/
minibronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2007, 08:57 PM   #78
Clockwork Orange
Persona Non Grata

I seen him!

Quote:
Originally Posted by minibronco View Post
Is there gonna be an official Fantasy Baseball Help Thread? :/
Feel free to ask any and all fantasy baseball questions here. We've got a couple of resident experts who will be more than happy to answer any questions you have.
Clockwork Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2007, 09:03 PM   #79
DBroncos4life
Hey pic Mod!?!?! FU

Bacon bits

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius "Fluff"

draft Alex Gordon!!!!!
DBroncos4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2007, 09:44 PM   #80
OrangeShadow
armed

and dangerous

one stat that showed me beckett started to get it last year

first half HRs/9 innings 2+
second half-.95

he pitched a lot better than most people think and i think he'll be fine.
OrangeShadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2007, 09:58 PM   #81
Bronco LB 59
Ring of Famer

Keep your head up dog

Beckett's strikeout rate has declined in three consecutive seasons. That is what worries me. I like the more dominant Beckett of the past, but that version could never stay healthy. The 2006 version finally stayed healthy for the duration of a season, but he was mediocre and less overpowering.

I agree with -Slap-, Beckett is a Catch-22. Can he be his dominant self again AND last through an entire season?
Bronco LB 59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2007, 10:06 PM   #82
DBroncos4life
Hey pic Mod!?!?! FU

Bacon bits

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius "Fluff"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronco LB 52 View Post
Beckett's strikeout rate has declined in three consecutive seasons. That is what worries me. I like the more dominant Beckett of the past, but that version could never stay healthy. The 2006 version finally stayed healthy for the duration of a season, but he was mediocre and less overpowering.

I agree with -Slap-, Beckett is a Catch-22. Can he be his dominant self again AND last through an entire season?
I hope so, I traded Lackey for him. What Im hoping is he starts off really hot and I can move him for another talented pitcher.
Old 02-25-2007, 10:14 PM   #83
Pendejo
The off-season.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
"The Greek"

Quote:

It probably helped him earlier in his career pitching in a a pretty big park in Florida.

There are a lot of pitchers who are dominant when healthy. Our own Jake Peavy is one. He gutted out a pretty good second half last year...finishing 1 K short of tying for his second strikeout title.

The point of my previous post was that it's pretty silly to call a pitcher who was a World Series MVP...a bust. If it's possible...I hope the Madres have a World Series MVP/bust this season.
Pendejo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2007, 10:36 PM   #84
Killericon
Front 7, Please

Adopt-a-Bronco:
watermock

Go Blue Jays!
Killericon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 11:50 PM   #85
Clockwork Orange
Persona Non Grata

I seen him!

*Bump* on the eve of spring training games.
Old 02-27-2007, 11:56 PM   #86
WABronco
WE SUCK AGAIN

All dat force

GMJ and his new 50 mil contract gets named in a roid investigation (HMMMMM). Screw the Angels.
WABronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 05:08 AM   #87
Clockwork Orange
Persona Non Grata

I seen him!

Rockies hope hitters are blasts from the past.

Tucson - When outfielder Dave Roberts became a free agent last winter, he talked personally with manager Clint Hurdle. The Rockies never came close on the money, but as Roberts retired to his new San Francisco Giants clubhouse he was asked why he considered Colorado in the first place.

"Atkins, Holliday, Helton, Hawpe," Roberts said without hesitation. "If you get on base, those guys are going to knock you in."

Entering today's Cactus League opener against the Chicago White Sox, the heart of the Rockies' lineup - Garrett Atkins, Matt Holliday, Todd Helton and Brad Hawpe - has quietly evolved from unproven to undesirable for opposing pitchers. The Nos. 3-6 Colorado hitters have 30-home run, 100-RBI seasons on their résumés or the potential to reach that benchmark.

"Honestly, I don't like pitching against them," San Diego Padres starter Chris Young said. "You are talking about guys who have a good approach who can really hurt you."

The Rockies are counting on a ramped-up, wide-open offense to steer them to their first winning season since 2000. They promise to be more aggressive on the bases, bunt less often - "We don't need to give away outs," Hawpe said - and deliver more haymakers.

The Rockies scored only 813 runs last season, well shy of their goal of 900, and hit just 157 home runs, including a franchise-worst 75 at Coors Field. But reel off the names of Atkins, Holliday, Helton and Hawpe and the optimism is startling in spring camp.

"It's as good as we have had since the days of Galarraga, Bichette, Burks and Walker," Rockies general manager Dan O'Dowd said. "This group has a chance to have productive power."

Owner Dick Monfort inched one step further, making a comparison unimaginable three years ago when the franchise launched a full-blown youth movement.

"Could it be the Blake Street Bombers again?" he wondered. "I hope so."

The production of the foursome is paramount, because most scouts believe the Rockies will have to outhit teams to win due to questions about their starting rotation.

Atkins and Holliday added teeth to the lineup with breakthrough seasons a year ago. Only reigning MVP Ryan Howard had more RBIs than Atkins over the final four months (102 to 94). Atkins led the NL with 102 hits after the all-star break, among them 18 of his 29 home runs.

Holliday made his first all-star team and blasted 34 home runs, second-best ever by a Rockies homegrown player.

"I don't think it's premature to call those two elite players," Padres catcher Josh Bard said. "They better back up the jumbo jet to pay them, because they are only going to get better."

Holliday believes the threat of power can be as important as real power, influencing how the team is pitched and defended. Atkins said the Rockies' group is capable of maximizing home-field advantage, even if Coors Field doesn't play like the pinball machine it reverted to last September.

"I wouldn't mind that, but nobody wants to play 3 1/2-hour games all season," Atkins said. "We just have to be more consistent, instead of winning 10-0, then getting shut out the next night."

Central to the lineup living up to its potential is Helton's recovery. He has bulked up to 230 pounds - "I have never seen him stronger or more focused," Hurdle said - and is bent on rebounding after hitting just 35 total home runs the past two seasons.

Once the focus on the team, he's now just another critical component to a lineup that could be a blast from the past.

"You pretty much know what you are going to get from Atkins and Holliday," Helton said. "And you have guys now who can produce runs. The power is part of that, but it's all about producing runs."
Old 02-28-2007, 05:15 AM   #88
Clockwork Orange
Persona Non Grata

I seen him!

Jim Armstrong tossed this into his column. Thought it was pretty funny.

Cam Hutchinson of the Saskatoon StarPhoenix, on Major League Baseball's switch to synthetic caps from the old wool ones: "Hats are available in small, medium, large, extra large, XXL and Barry Bonds."

Old 03-05-2007, 03:07 AM   #89
Bronco LB 59
Ring of Famer

Keep your head up dog

Just got back from Cactus League Spring Training, here are some photographs I took:

Mariners GM Bill Bavasi speaking at a special Q and A session setup by Baseball Prospectus

Padres GM Kevin Towers at the same event:

Old 03-05-2007, 03:10 AM   #90
Bronco LB 59
Ring of Famer

Keep your head up dog

Contract year for Ichiro and he's probably happy that Daisuke has taken some of the attention off him

Old 03-05-2007, 03:16 AM   #91
Bronco LB 59
Ring of Famer

Keep your head up dog

Mike Cameron

The Big Sexy

Old 03-05-2007, 03:20 AM   #92
DBroncos4life
Hey pic Mod!?!?! FU

Bacon bits

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius "Fluff"

Question for you guys. Im in a 8 team h2h keeper league and Im the only one not keeping a 1st basemen. I traded Justin M for A-Rod and I had Jeter on my roster for a keeper already. My problem is the top guys out there will be Giambi, Helton, Thome, and Konerko. I believe Giambi finished with the most points out of that group in our league but I don't really want that many Yankee's on my team. I have the second overall pick and I'm pretty sure that I'm going to land Mauer. That makes my lineup look like this:

C- Mauer
SS-Jeter
3rd-A-Rod
OF-Manny
OF-Dunn
OF-Hunter

I know that I need to replace Hunter and Dunn scares me. When would you guys think I should go after a 1st basemen? 5th round 6th round or sooner? I'm hoping to land my 2nd basemen in the second round. Thoughts?
Old 03-05-2007, 03:27 AM   #93
Bronco LB 59
Ring of Famer

Keep your head up dog

The new $80 million dollar man

Sammy homered off a hanging curveball off Luke Hudson Sunday afternoon

2007 American League Rookie of the Year??

Old 03-05-2007, 03:28 AM   #94
Clockwork Orange
Persona Non Grata

I seen him!

I drafted my 2nd mixed 5x5 team this afternoon. I had the 10th pick and I was pretty pleased with the results.

C Jorge Posada
C David Ross
1B Derrek Lee
2B Brandon Phillips
SS Rafael Furcal
3B Miguel Cabrera
OF Vladimir Guerrero
OF Vernon Wells
OF Johnny Damon
OF Chone Figgins
OF Carlos Quentin
U Prince Fielder
U Conor Jackson

SP Scott Kazmir
SP John Smoltz
SP Rich Harden
SP Rich Hill
SP Jeff Francis
RP Brad Lidge
RP Brian Fuentes
RP Doug Jones
RP Joel Zumaya
Old 03-05-2007, 03:32 AM   #95
DBroncos4life
Hey pic Mod!?!?! FU

Bacon bits

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius "Fluff"

Alex Gordon! I want to draft him so bad. For those that have drafted does he get picked at all and if so is it late or what?
Old 03-05-2007, 03:35 AM   #96
Clockwork Orange
Persona Non Grata

I seen him!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBroncos4life View Post
Alex Gordon! I want to draft him so bad. For those that have drafted does he get picked at all and if so is it late or what?
He went in the 19th round of my first draft and he went undrafted today.
Old 03-05-2007, 03:41 AM   #97
DBroncos4life
Hey pic Mod!?!?! FU

Bacon bits

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius "Fluff"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clockwork Orange View Post
He went in the 19th round of my first draft and he went undrafted today.
cool I'll draft him in the third just to be safe, I mean he did go to NU after all. I might take him earlier though if I fill my needs just to make sure I get him, only because its a keeper league.
Old 03-05-2007, 03:42 AM   #98
Bronco LB 59
Ring of Famer

Keep your head up dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBroncos4life View Post
Question for you guys. Im in a 8 team h2h keeper league and Im the only one not keeping a 1st basemen. I traded Justin M for A-Rod and I had Jeter on my roster for a keeper already. My problem is the top guys out there will be Giambi, Helton, Thome, and Konerko. I believe Giambi finished with the most points out of that group in our league but I don't really want that many Yankee's on my team. I have the second overall pick and I'm pretty sure that I'm going to land Mauer. That makes my lineup look like this:

C- Mauer
SS-Jeter
3rd-A-Rod
OF-Manny
OF-Dunn
OF-Hunter

I know that I need to replace Hunter and Dunn scares me. When would you guys think I should go after a 1st basemen? 5th round 6th round or sooner? I'm hoping to land my 2nd basemen in the second round. Thoughts?
Why are you keeping Hunter?

You don't need to take a 1B immediately. If everybody is keeping a 1B, their values will fall because managers typically don't like filling up their utitlity slot when they have up-the-middle holes. Giambi and Thome have mileage-health related issues, let them fall to you another round. Get Helton at a bargain after his past two seasons. Konerko is a good pick there, but it also depends on who else is available. You can always settle for Prince Fielder four rounds later, too.

Second base is a thin position, should be addressed early but which ones are being kept?
Old 03-05-2007, 03:46 AM   #99
DBroncos4life
Hey pic Mod!?!?! FU

Bacon bits

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius "Fluff"

Quote:
Why are you keeping Hunter?

You don't need to take a 1B immediately. If everybody is keeping a 1B, their values will fall because managers typically don't like filling up their utitlity slot when they have up-the-middle holes. Giambi and Thome have mileage-health related issues, let them fall to you another round. Get Helton at a bargain after his past two seasons. Konerko is a good pick there, but it also depends on who else is available. You can always settle for Prince Fielder four rounds later, too.

Second base is a thin position, should be addressed early but which ones are being kept?
I'm keeping Hunter because it wasn't my team. I felt that he was the best player on that team other then the ones I traded away and kept already. It was between him and Piere. It came down to Hunter being in a contract year, coming off his best year HR wise and how the Twins now have more talent around him. As for the 2nd only Utley is being kept I believe. I'll have the 7th pick in the second round though. I know that 2nd is weak but so is the catcher position thats why I have Mauer targeted.
Old 03-05-2007, 05:45 AM   #100
-Slap-
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clockwork Orange View Post
I drafted my 2nd mixed 5x5 team this afternoon. I had the 10th pick and I was pretty pleased with the results.

C Jorge Posada
C David Ross
1B Derrek Lee
2B Brandon Phillips
SS Rafael Furcal
3B Miguel Cabrera
OF Vladimir Guerrero
OF Vernon Wells
OF Johnny Damon
OF Chone Figgins
OF Carlos Quentin
U Prince Fielder
U Conor Jackson

SP Scott Kazmir
SP John Smoltz
SP Rich Harden
SP Rich Hill
SP Jeff Francis
RP Brad Lidge
RP Brian Fuentes
RP Doug Jones
RP Joel Zumaya
That's how its done, people. Dominant offense with tons of speed and power, solid rotation and bullpen.

-Slap- is offline   Reply With Quote