The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 02-18-2007, 06:22 PM   #51
Clockwork Orange
Persona Non Grata

I seen him!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jens1893 View Post
Good luck, Slappy. Maybe managing a team would help me keep my interest during the season, but it just sounds insanely complex.
If I can do it, you can do it.

Go for it, man.
Clockwork Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 06:26 PM   #52
-Slap-
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Good luck, Slappy. Maybe managing a team would help me keep my interest during the season, but it just sounds insanely complex.
Thanks for the encouraging words.......

You can make it as easy or as complicated as you like. There are formats to fit every individual interest level.
-Slap- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 06:29 PM   #53
SoCalBronco
Nixonite

Adopt-a-Bronco:
D.J. Williams

It will be bittersweet for me to see Frank Thomas hit his 500th home run in a Blue Jay uniform, but it will still be a very exciting and gratifying moment for me nonetheless. I just wish him and Ken Williams would have resolved their differences so that he could come home where he belongs.

Stacy Coley.....Speed Kills!

Last edited by SoCalBronco; 02-18-2007 at 06:31 PM..
SoCalBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 06:38 PM   #54
OrangeShadow
armed

and dangerous

Im more excited to see papelbon and beckett pitch than daisuke. I want to see what pap can do in a full game and im curious to see if beckett will actually listen to varitek.
OrangeShadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 07:46 PM   #55
-Slap-
Ring of Famer

Beckett is in a Catch-22. If he throws too many breaking balls, he gets blisters and goes on the DL. If he relies on his fastball too much, he makes all his starts, but he's responsible for more homers than Victor Conte.
Old 02-18-2007, 08:00 PM   #56
Clockwork Orange
Persona Non Grata

I seen him!

How come there's never been an OM roto league? Not enough interested parties? No one ever organized one?

Just curious. It seems like it'd be a good time, even if it was just a measley gold league that peons like me play in.
Old 02-18-2007, 08:04 PM   #57
-Slap-
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clockwork Orange View Post
How come there's never been an OM roto league? Not enough interested parties? No one ever organized one?

Just curious. It seems like it'd be a good time, even if it was just a measley gold league that peons like me play in.
I think people have tried to get them off the ground, but I'm too jaded to play unless there's money involved.

Also, most people prefer the head-to-head format and I like the marathon.
Old 02-18-2007, 08:09 PM   #58
OrangeShadow
armed

and dangerous

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Slap- View Post
Beckett is in a Catch-22. If he throws too many breaking balls, he gets blisters and goes on the DL. If he relies on his fastball too much, he makes all his starts, but he's responsible for more homers than Victor Conte.
I dont know if its that cut and dry. If you look at his numbers split up between halfs, the first half of the season he allowed over 2 HRS/9 innings. During the second half only .95 while pitching only around 13 or 14 more innings in the first half. He just needs to learn to trust varitek. Pitchers are so set in their ways sometimes, sure they hear how good tek is with pitchers but its like they want to find out for themselves, i think beckett has.
Old 02-18-2007, 08:35 PM   #59
Jens1893
Ring of Famer

Quote:

what is a gold league ... or what kind of leagues are there and whats the difference?
Jens1893 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 06:33 PM   #60
Clockwork Orange
Persona Non Grata

I seen him!

Bump for the beginning of spring training.
Old 02-20-2007, 06:38 PM   #61
Clockwork Orange
Persona Non Grata

I seen him!

Quote:
what is a gold league ... or what kind of leagues are there and whats the difference?
There are different leagues at different prices on cbssportsline.com. Gold leagues are the lowest level of pay leagues ($30) with Platinum ($100) and Diamond ($250) being the higher levels.

Gold leagues are for noobs like me. Multiple Platinum & Diamond leagues are for obssessive types.
Old 02-20-2007, 06:57 PM   #62
Taco John
24/7 Broncos

All Hail King Midas

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning

Quote:

We did an autodraft head-to-head league last year... no money involved.

1st place - WAB's Mariners
Taco John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 07:09 PM   #63
WABronco
WE SUCK AGAIN

All dat force

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco John View Post
We did an autodraft head-to-head league last year... no money involved.

1st place - WAB's Mariners
DAT'S RIGHT!

Rookie Champ! WOOO!
WABronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 11:47 PM   #64
Clockwork Orange
Persona Non Grata

I seen him!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WABronco View Post
DAT'S RIGHT!

Rookie Champ! WOOO!
Hope I've got the same beginner's luck this year.
Old 02-21-2007, 12:43 AM   #65
Hogan11
Rock-N-Roll Historian

Let's take these SOB's out!!!!!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Floyd Little

There's a new power on the rise....mark my words
Hogan11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2007, 05:24 PM   #66
Clockwork Orange
Persona Non Grata

I seen him!

Hawpe looks to improve vs. lefties

Tucson - Of all the reasons why the Rockies believe their offense will go from acoustic to electric, the most obvious to the naked eye is Brad Hawpe.

While Willy Taveras provides a stolen-base threat and rookies Troy Tulowitzki and Chris Iannetta inject intrigue, Hawpe brings thunder. He's the one player in the Rockies lineup capable of ascending to all-star status with slight improvement.

In his first full season as a starter last year, he hit .292 with 22 home runs and 84 RBIs.

However, there's an underlying concern: Can Hawpe, with his physical, high-effort swing, hit left-handers well enough to develop into this season's Matt Holliday?

"If I didn't think that I could take the next step and last year was the best I could do, then I would just shut it down," Hawpe said. "My goal is to become one of the elite outfielders in the National League. Holliday moved toward that last year. It's time for me to come join him."

One statistic distinguished Holliday from Hawpe. Holliday finished with 602 at-bats, compared to 499 for Hawpe. The difference was traced to Hawpe's irregular appearances against left-handed pitchers, who held him to a .232 average in 69 at-bats.

Right-handed hitting Jeff Baker's spectacular September provides an interesting alternative against tough left-handers. Manager Clint Hurdle, though, said it's premature to typecast Hawpe, who believes Baker's presence will make Hawpe better.

"We are going to find Baker at-bats, but we want to give Brad every opportunity to take that next step," Hurdle said. "If he hits 10 points higher and takes a small step in every area, he's closing on .300 with 30 home runs and 100 RBIs. That's not hoping. That's factual. I think Brad can be a very special player."

Hawpe is more of a traditional power hitter. He has a big swing with many parts that relies heavily on timing. When in a groove, Hawpe sizzles, like last April when he batted .362. When out of sync, he sinks, as he did last July when he went homerless.

Hitting instructor Alan Cockrell recognizes Hawpe's hot-and-cold nature, stressing the importance of quality outs when Hawpe is grinding through a rough patch.

The inability to make consistent contact doomed Hawpe with runners in scoring position for much of the season (he was hitting .225 before his final 10 at-bats in those situations).

"A lot of it was learning and growing up. I had a really tough stretch there for about six weeks (right after the all-star break). I wasn't there offensively like I was before and that was compounded with runners on base," Hawpe said. "The guys in front of me were getting on, and I couldn't put the barrel on the ball and drive it to the middle of the field."

Hawpe, 27, has never lacked confidence. He's been an elite performer at every level dating from high school Legion ball to LSU to the minor leagues. He has made the successful transition from college first baseman to a strong-armed outfielder - his 26 assists over the past two seasons are the most in the big leagues.

Determined to carry a bigger load, Hawpe reported to camp larger. He said he weighs about 218 pounds - up 8 from a year ago - but maintained his flexibility by training with the TCU track team for the second consecutive offseason.

"I was starting to fatigue at the end of last season," Hawpe said. "I feel good at this weight, I am still mobile."

For Hawpe to move upward, he must produce more consistent swings. The nature of his hack - hands back, pronounced leg kick - makes him vulnerable to lefties. But more at-bats against them, explained Todd Helton, could solve that.

"If you're not playing every day, you get thrown straight out of your rhythm. I have confidence he will (hit left-handers), and have monster numbers," Helton said. "I don't understand why he doesn't get the respect he should."

If he achieves his goal, advancing from starter to all-star on a winning team, there will be no confusion. Only a genuine right turn.

Left-handed compliment
For right fielder Brad Hawpe to become an all-star, an honor for which he was considered last season by National League manager Phil Garner, he must hit left-handers. A look at the numbers:

2006 Avg. AB HR RBIs

vs. LHP .232 69 3 10

vs. RHP .302 430 19 74

Career Avg. AB HR RBIs

vs. LHP .227 110 4 15

vs. RHP .284 799 30 125
Old 02-25-2007, 06:16 PM   #67
Billy Clyde Puckett
Billy=Semi Tough Big Guy

Looking down on KC, SD and Oakland

Adopt-a-Bronco:
John Elway

Hawpe has one of the stongest arms in the league. Would be nice to see him develop that consistency at the plate.
Billy Clyde Puckett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2007, 06:28 PM   #68
TexanBob
Don't Argue With Me

You Know I'm Right

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Darris Nash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hogan11 View Post

As a Pirates fan, I'm excited by the moves the team made and think they can actually compete this year in the NL Central barring injury.
Pirates may actually have the best rotation in the NL Central this year. It may not be enough to overcome their deficiencies elsewhere though.
TexanBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2007, 06:33 PM   #69
OrangeShadow
armed

and dangerous

WOOT first spring training game wed.!!!!!!
Old 02-25-2007, 06:41 PM   #70
TexanBob
Don't Argue With Me

You Know I'm Right

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Darris Nash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Guy View Post
Does anyone have an honest assessment of Hirsh and Buchholz, the pitchers the Rockies received in the Jennings trade?
As an Astros fan, here's what I think after watching them last season.

Buchholz has good pitches and can be surprisingly effective when he stops worrying about pitching to spots. He has a good curve and a live fastball. What he really needs is good health and the confidence that he can get good hitters out. I'm not sure where he'll find that at Coors.

Hirsh is a big guy, much like Scott Elarton, but he does not throw as hard as you'd expect for someone so big. Control is his specialty and I think he had 2-3 starter written all over him before the trade. I think Coors will mess with him big time, just like it did with Kile and Hampton. If he learns to handle it, he could be good but I'm afraid pitching regularly at Coors may set him back years.

BTW, I read that MLB set down rules this off-season about the conditions in which game balls are stored so say "good bye" to humidor balls that gave pitchers in Denver a fair chance. If you own a fantasy team, sign up those Rockie hitters and get rid of those Rockie pitchers. The days of 18-15 games will be back in Denver.
TexanBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2007, 06:48 PM   #71
Taco John
24/7 Broncos

All Hail King Midas

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeShadow View Post
Im more excited to see papelbon and beckett pitch than daisuke. I want to see what pap can do in a full game and im curious to see if beckett will actually listen to varitek.
Beckett = Bust
Taco John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2007, 07:20 PM   #72
DBroncos4life
Hey pic Mod!?!?! FU

Bacon bits

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius "Fluff"

Quote:
Beckett = Bust
News: According to MLB.com, Red Sox pitching coach John Farrell is pleased with the work of Josh Beckett early in camp. "I think the strength in which Josh Beckett has gone through his bullpens in the early going here has been very impressive," said Farrell. "The location of his fastball has been consistently down in the zone. He's got a pretty good understanding and a pretty good feel. He comes in pretty much with his delivery in check."
DBroncos4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2007, 07:27 PM   #73
Pendejo
The off-season.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
"The Greek"

Quote:
Beckett = Bust
Interesting. Explain how a former World Series MVP is a bust.
Pendejo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2007, 07:30 PM   #74
OrangeShadow
armed

and dangerous

The kid just needs to listen to tek more and locate his pitches. I think he'll win another 17-20 games this year and have an era around 3.
Old 02-25-2007, 07:31 PM   #75
OrangeShadow
armed

and dangerous

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pendejo View Post
Interesting. Explain how a former World Series MVP is a bust.
much less a 26 year old who just pitched in his first year in the AL.