The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Other Sports Discussion > NBA & NCAA
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 02-06-2007, 09:31 PM   #1
RhymesayersDU
Go Broncos, Nuggets, Rox

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ty Lawson
Default NBA Dunk Contest Participants Announced; Tyrus Thomas Fined $10K

Quote:
'Free money' has a price
Bulls fine Thomas $10K for dunk contest comments
Posted: Tuesday February 6, 2007

CHICAGO (AP) -- The Chicago Bulls fined forward Tyrus Thomas $10,000 on Tuesday, one day after the rookie said he only was interested in the money for the NBA's slam dunk contest.

The first Bull since Scottie Pippen in 1990 to participate in the event, Thomas was quoted in Tuesday's editions of the Chicago Tribune as saying: "I'm just going to go out there, get my check and call it a day."

When asked if being around some of the game's greats could be beneficial for a rookie, he responded, "I'm just into the free money. That's it. I'll just do whatever when I get out there."

The winner of the Feb. 17 event in Las Vegas gets $35,000. The runner-up earns $22,500, with the third and fourth-place finishers getting $16,125. Joining Thomas are defending champion Nate Robinson of New York, Orlando All-Star Dwight Howard and Boston's Gerald Green.

"This fine is an appropriate response to the remarks Tyrus made concerning his participation in the slam dunk contest," Bulls executive vice president of basketball operations John Paxson said in a statement. "It is a poor reflection on Tyrus individually and a poor reflection on the Bulls organization, and I am certainly disappointed. The league office has chosen Tyrus to participate in one of its All-Star events and that is an honor that should be accepted with humility. I spoke to Tyrus this morning and am confident he understands that he made a mistake with his words and that he also understands the importance of representing the Bulls and the NBA in a positive way."

Thomas has appeared in 41 games, averaging 3.5 points and 2.7 rebounds.
3 things --

1) HAHAHAHAHHAHA @ Getting fined for talking ****. Classic.
2) Why is Dwight Howard in this? He's a great young talent, but isn't he 7 feet tall? Big guys, no matter how hard they dunk or how high they jump, never look cool dunking. Maybe Dwight vs. Nate, Big vs. Small could be a "storyline" but big guys just don't look impressive dunking.
3) Gerald Green will win.
RhymesayersDU is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-06-2007, 11:00 PM   #2
ludo21
RIP Darrent Williams

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Paul Ernster

4) On Around the Horn they said the game "horse" would be funner to watch.

....and i agree, the dunk contest aint what it used to be as every dunk has been done, and plus in horse they could dunk as well
ludo21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 11:09 PM   #3
RhymesayersDU
Go Broncos, Nuggets, Rox

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ty Lawson

HORSE would be pretty bad ass.
Old 02-06-2007, 11:48 PM   #4
ludo21
RIP Darrent Williams

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Paul Ernster

Seriously tho, I watch the 3 point contest before ill watch the dunk contest anymore.
ludo21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 12:31 AM   #5
RhymesayersDU
Go Broncos, Nuggets, Rox

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ty Lawson

I still enjoy the dunking. I actually really enjoy the whole weekend, to be honest. I can't get enough.
Old 02-07-2007, 01:57 AM   #6
Clockwork Orange
Persona Non Grata

I seen him!

Man, the Bulls have to be the most tight assed franchise in the NBA. No headbands and no blunt honesty. I wonder if they make the players sign a loyalty oath when they get to training camp.
Clockwork Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 10:18 AM   #7
Nuggets4
Requisite Nugs Die-Hard

Buffaloes, Buffaloes, Go C-U!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Allen Iverson

I still like the headline that I saw on True Hoops: "Dunk Contest Participants Announced: 3 Potential Winners and Dwight Howard".

I hope Nate Robinson breaks his leg. He didn't deserve the win last year, and that was before I found out what a punk he is.
Nuggets4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 11:16 AM   #8
RhymesayersDU
Go Broncos, Nuggets, Rox

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ty Lawson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuggets4 View Post
I still like the headline that I saw on True Hoops: "Dunk Contest Participants Announced: 3 Potential Winners and Dwight Howard".
That is so true.

But the bigger issue is this, will the Celtics win a game before Gerald Green wins the dunk contest?

I really don't think so. And if he doesn't win the dunk contest, it's going to be a long spring.
Old 02-07-2007, 01:29 PM   #9
Clockwork Orange
Persona Non Grata

I seen him!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuggets4 View Post
I hope Nate Robinson breaks his leg. He didn't deserve the win last year, and that was before I found out what a punk he is.
I hope that little Webster looking prick shatters an ankle after getting stuffed by the rim on his 15th attempt at the same dunk.
Clockwork Orange is offline   Reply With Quote