The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Other Sports Discussion > NHL
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 01-28-2007, 05:08 AM   #151
Rocket 7
Formerly known as Dipso

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Paul Smith 70

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalBronco View Post

EDIT AGAIN: Here's the Crosby goal:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Y4o6M7zO4s4
freakin awesome!

Last edited by Rocket 7; 01-28-2007 at 05:24 AM..
Rocket 7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 09:15 PM   #152
SoCalBronco
Nixonite

Adopt-a-Bronco:
D.J. Williams

The boys are looking flat out dominant right now...Flower has been outstanding in net tonight and even though he has only a point Crosby has been dominating, he had a beautiful pirohette (sp?) to elude defenders as he was racing into the offensive zone.

3-0 over Florida going into the third, which is great because we have always had a great deal of trouble against the Panthers.

This team has really looked extremely strong in the last two weeks, we have taken it to another level....20 minutes from being 7 games over .500.

Last edited by SoCalBronco; 01-30-2007 at 09:21 PM..
SoCalBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 09:45 PM   #153
alkemical
Guerrilla Ontologist

rorrim|mirror

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Prima Materia

I will now say it:

Beware the penguins.
alkemical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 10:34 PM   #154
SoCalBronco
Nixonite

Adopt-a-Bronco:
D.J. Williams

Was that a hell of a game tonight against Montreal or what?

Damn....what a game...I really wish I recorded that....dammit, that was just an electric atmosphere all game.

Old 02-01-2007, 11:07 PM   #155
alkemical
Guerrilla Ontologist

rorrim|mirror

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Prima Materia

Oh i know socal i was out at the bar watching it.....
Old 02-01-2007, 11:24 PM   #156
alkemical
Guerrilla Ontologist

rorrim|mirror

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Prima Materia
Default Stadium news

Official: City, Pens could announce deal by Friday

Updated: Feb. 1, 2007, 5:06 PM ET

A state senator on the board that would oversee a new arena in Pittsburgh says a deal to keep the Penguins in the Steel City could be announced by Friday.

Rendell: Arena offer revised, but deal not close yet

Rendell: Arena offer revised, but deal not close yet

Thursday, February 01, 2007
By Mark Belko, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Gov. Ed Rendell said today that state and local officials have revised their offer to the Penguins on a new arena but are not close to a deal to keep the team in Pittsburgh.

Mr. Rendell disputed a published report saying that a new arena deal could be announced today or tomorrow.

"The statements that this is close to a done deal -- that is not correct," he said. "We have given the Penguins a revised offer but in no way shape or form have they indicated it's over."

The Pittsburgh Tribune-Review quoted state Sen. Wayne Fontana, a board member of the city-Allegheny County Sports & Exhibition Authority, which is involved in the negotiations, as saying an announcement could be made today or tomorrow.

The Penguins have declined comment on the talks.
Old 02-03-2007, 03:43 PM   #157
alkemical
Guerrilla Ontologist

rorrim|mirror

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Prima Materia

pens got another shutout. malone has been playing quite well.
Old 02-03-2007, 04:17 PM   #158
SoCalBronco
Nixonite

Adopt-a-Bronco:
D.J. Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by claviculasolomonis View Post
pens got another shutout. malone has been playing quite well.
Yep, it was great to see the Flower get another shutout this morning against Washington and our D played Ovechkin really well, I don't think he had a shot all game which is a first for the year, as Steigy mentioned on the broadcast.

We are now like 8-0-1 in our last 9.....smokin! Within 2 points of Ottawa for 5th place in the conference and with a couple games in hand on them too.

STUD!

Old 02-03-2007, 04:19 PM   #159
alkemical
Guerrilla Ontologist

rorrim|mirror

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Prima Materia

This is MAF's breakout year. I'm sure he'll do better on SO's when he has a bit more time under his belt as well.
Old 02-06-2007, 10:06 PM   #160
SoCalBronco
Nixonite

Adopt-a-Bronco:
D.J. Williams

4-1 win over the league's best team tonight. The Flower dominates again.

2 more assists for Sid and Geno also had an outstanding night. 9-0-2 in our last 11. The Montreal game on Sunday didnt bother me that much, we still got a point, im not going to blame Sid for that turnover, sometimes that happens when you are trying to be creative. In any case, we rebounded great tonight! I thought it was pretty interesting that Coach Therrien had Staal playing with Crosby for a good portion of the game tonight, they havent played together much if at all this season before tonight.

Last edited by SoCalBronco; 02-06-2007 at 11:05 PM..
Old 02-06-2007, 11:05 PM   #161
alkemical
Guerrilla Ontologist

rorrim|mirror

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Prima Materia

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalBronco View Post
4-1 win over the league's best team tonight. The Flower dominates again.

2 more assists for Sid and Geno also had an outstanding night. 9-1-1 in our last 11. The Montreal game on Sunday didnt bother me that much, we still got a point, im not going to blame Sid for that turnover, sometimes that happens when you are trying to be creative. In any case, we rebounded great tonight! I thought it was pretty interesting that Coach Therrien had Staal playing with Crosby for a good portion of the game tonight, they havent played together much if at all this season before tonight.

I wasn't sure how Fluery was going to pan out. However, that being said - IMO - he's just as important as #87.

Staal is the real deal.

Beware - the penguins.
Old 02-07-2007, 02:48 AM   #162
SoCalBronco
Nixonite

Adopt-a-Bronco:
D.J. Williams

Quote:
I wasn't sure how Fluery was going to pan out. However, that being said - IMO - he's just as important as #87.

Staal is the real deal.

Beware - the penguins.
Yep, the Flower is really playing out of his mind right now. Despite our organization doing its best to ruin him last year, he is still raping for us.

Right on re: Staal, Josh. Jordan continues to get better and better, he's starting to score more, which is nice to see after his game was all defense early on. Once he finishes filling out, he's going to be a bull.

5th in the East, baby!

Old 02-07-2007, 08:32 AM   #163
alkemical
Guerrilla Ontologist

rorrim|mirror

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Prima Materia

I think this team may cause some damage come playoff time. Ott & Buff are the only teams that i can see in the east that could outright take a series from the pens.
Old 02-08-2007, 01:45 AM   #164
SoCalBronco
Nixonite

Adopt-a-Bronco:
D.J. Williams

Hilarious.

Old 02-08-2007, 12:49 PM   #165
alkemical
Guerrilla Ontologist

rorrim|mirror

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Prima Materia
Default Staal defies odds, gets career off to fast start

Staal defies odds, gets career off to fast start

Penguins Notebook: Flyers pose new set of challenges
Old 02-08-2007, 10:00 PM   #166
SoCalBronco
Nixonite

Adopt-a-Bronco:
D.J. Williams

That was a pretty ugly win, but ill take it. The Flower was really the only one who came to play today and saved our asses repeatedly. Glad that Crosby saved his best for last. Man, I was so worried when that Flyer (i think it was Richards) collided into Flower in the 3rd, that looked bad, but he was alright.

We keep movin on up! We'll be 4th in the East if Ottawa can maintain its two goal lead over Montreal with 4 mins left.

Old 02-08-2007, 10:58 PM   #167
alkemical
Guerrilla Ontologist

rorrim|mirror

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Prima Materia

A win is a win.
Old 02-10-2007, 09:59 PM   #168
SoCalBronco
Nixonite

Adopt-a-Bronco:
D.J. Williams

STAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAALLLLLLLLLLLLLL!!!

Now Don Cherry is going to cum all over him.....again.

That game turned to **** about halfway through the second period...Flower really struggled...but Jordan was outstanding tonight with this hat trick as well as Malkin. Sid only with a point but a sweet pass to Malkin and a few other scoring chances he created. Glad to see MT put EC on his line and take Malone off, he was totally dragging the top line down.

I'll take the win.

Last edited by SoCalBronco; 02-10-2007 at 10:14 PM..
Old 02-12-2007, 11:01 PM   #169
SoCalBronco
Nixonite

Adopt-a-Bronco:
D.J. Williams

Growing up in net
Fleury paid price on the way to realizing his potential
Posted: Monday February 12, 2007 3:56PM; Updated: Monday February 12, 2007 3:56PM

After briefly losing his starting status, Fleury has blossomed into the dependable goalie the Penguins envisioned.
Bruce Bennett/Getty Images

The adage is that every team needs dependable goaltending to win. The Penguins knew that when they drafted Marc-Andre Fleury first overall in 2003. The problem was that they needed goaltending immediately and the 18-year old Fleury wasn't ready to handle the responsibility at the NHL level. The urge to get Fleury in goal against the backdrop of business realities -- contract status and bonus clauses -- further muddied any clear-cut development track for the young prodigy.

Then there was the matter of winning. Or should I say the lack thereof. Trying to learn what it takes, both physically and mentally, to play the bulk of the games in the NHL as a number one netminder is a difficult process. Hoping to have it all come together in an environment of uncertainty marked by mounting losses is nearly impossible. Doubt creeps in, raising questions as to promise seen and potential possibly going unrealized.

Well, in a season in which the Penguins have taken the league by storm, Fleury, just 22 years old now, is silencing any doubters one shooter at a time.

Fleury is melding his physical gifts with the mental focus required to play consistently at the top level. I saw him play as an 18-year old and I thought at the time that he had the quickest legs I'd ever seen. His lightning-quick reactions on pad saves while in his butterfly position were eye-catching. Yet, for all the acrobatics and scintillating saves, he had a tendency to over-commit, give up juicy rebounds and lose positioning for second shot situations.

And there was the losing. For Fleury, it was play great and still lose; play average and lose lopsidedly. That took its toll mentally, and even during the lockout season when Fleury played exclusively in the AHL -- no more shuttling up and down from the big club to junior or the minors -- stability didn't translate to out-and-out domination. His numbers were fine, but the season ended with him struggling in the AHL playoffs and eventually losing his starter status.

Last season was more upheaval with the Penguins making an early season coaching change and Fleury battling bouts of inconsistency. Once the team brought him up from the AHL, where he dominated the early going, he had more good nights than bad and was in goal for 13 of the team's meager 22 wins. The signs were there that Fleury was developing his skills at the NHL level. He was maturing physically, more willing to trust his technique and let the game come to him.

This season began with Fleury playing brilliantly right out of training camp -- just as he had last season in the AHL. The difference being that he'd replicated his success at the highest level. Now, surrounded by a cast of world-class youngsters led by Sidney Crosby, Evgeni Malkin and Jordan Staal, the precocious Pens were a fun story for October, but the unspoken perception was that Fleury and his mates were too young to keep it up over the course of a long season.

Well, don't look now, but the Penguins are the hottest team in the NHL over the past three weeks -- going 11-0-2 and catapulting past Eastern Conference adversaries all the way to the fourth spot. Much of the focus is on Crosby and company, but Crosby himself points to the play of Fleury as the main reason for the team's success saying, "he has been unbelievable for us."

And that may be the most accurate gauge of Fleury's ascent, because players know. They sense a goaltender's dependability and Fleury has given his team a chance to compete since the season started. Now, the confidence flows both ways, and the losing of last season has turned to winning.

In talking to Fleury earlier this season, he spoke of working out and getting stronger to prepare for the season. He told me that the biggest element for him to work on was his patience. He was referring to positioning for puck-stopping and not the development process that got him to this point -- one ironically marred by impatience. Yet, even though the path Fleury endured was hardly ideal for a young goaltender, he is emerging as a top netminder, just as the Penguins had envisioned.

Winning, of course, is the ultimate payoff.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...ges/index.html

Old 02-14-2007, 09:56 PM   #170
SoCalBronco
Nixonite

Adopt-a-Bronco:
D.J. Williams

Where's the ****ing makeup call? We're waiting...lets have it. You owe us, stupid refs.

Old 02-14-2007, 09:59 PM   #171
alkemical
Guerrilla Ontologist

rorrim|mirror

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Prima Materia

i got snowed in and am not able to watch it where i'm at (flyers country)
Old 02-14-2007, 10:01 PM   #172
SoCalBronco
Nixonite

Adopt-a-Bronco:
D.J. Williams

Quote:
i got snowed in and am not able to watch it where i'm at (flyers country)
The refs allowed the Blackhawks to have 6 on the ice leading to their goal, in fact the 6th guy who jumped on at the last second scored the goal and the refs did nothing about it.

Malkin scored a bit later to tie it at 4-4. Heading to OT.

Old 02-14-2007, 10:02 PM   #173
SoCalBronco
Nixonite

Adopt-a-Bronco:
D.J. Williams

Flower just saved our asses, stealing the game winner away from Havlat.

Old 02-14-2007, 10:04 PM   #174
alkemical
Guerrilla Ontologist

rorrim|mirror

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Prima Materia

thanks man!
Old 02-14-2007, 10:06 PM   #175
SoCalBronco
Nixonite

Adopt-a-Bronco:
D.J. Williams

We're not playing very well in OT right now, come on guys.