The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Other Sports Discussion > NHL
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 01-14-2007, 09:01 PM   #626
Mtbrncofn
Ring of Famer

The Avs announcers were saying it was closer to 40 minutes a game. That's incredible and seems like they're playing with fire there. Guys get worn down and injured.
Mtbrncofn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 12:43 AM   #627
Mtbrncofn
Ring of Famer

Thank God for Budaj. That's all I have to say about that game.
Old 01-17-2007, 11:41 PM   #628
Jens1893
Ring of Famer

Some ugly, ugly goals in the Preds/Red Wings game ... first Vokoun lets in an absolute howler from Zetterberg and is replaced only for Hasek to return the favor a minute later.

Dead Things won 5-3 with Zetterberg scoring twice.
Jens1893 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 04:22 PM   #629
Bronx33
lets go partner

Rumpson Rocks

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Woodyard
Default Sakic, Shanahan named All-Star captains

DALLAS (AP) -Joe Sakic of the Colorado Avalanche and Brendan Shanahan of the New York Rangers will be the captains in the NHL All-Star game Wednesday night.

Sakic, the West captain, will be playing in his 12th All-Star game and his fourth as a starter. He was the MVP of the 2004 game, which is the last one because of the lockout in 2005 and an Olympics break last year.

Shanahan, the East captain, is an All-Star for the eighth time. At 37, he's the oldest player on either squad.

Sakic made his All-Star debut 17 years ago Sunday.

"It's a relaxed environment," he said on a conference call Thursday during which his captaincy was announced. "Guys are having fun, joking around on the ice. I don't think anyone takes it too serious. ... You just talk about your teams, what you've done, see old friends and meet new friends."

The All-Star break begins Sunday. The All-Stars will practice in Dallas on Monday night. The YoungStars game and skills competition will be held Tuesday night.
Bronx33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 09:26 PM   #630
Mtbrncofn
Ring of Famer

Way to go, Joe!
Old 01-20-2007, 02:19 PM   #631
Pendejo
The off-season.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
"The Greek"

There's a new Forsberg to the Avs rumor on spectorshockey.net. It's a real beauty too. I don't think Thomas or Millen would be stupid enough for this one.

"Paul" and "Steve sent in the following: "Just watched 110% (French language sports talk show) and Michel Bergeron claimed that the Avs are going to trade Theodore to Philly in return for Forsberg." "Michel Bergeron said, a close friend of him from colorado (Goulet??) The Avs Could deal Theodore to the Flyers for Forsberg, one for one."

Obviously something like that won't happen...but it sure would help the Avs out a lot.
Pendejo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2007, 02:52 PM   #632
Bronx33
lets go partner

Rumpson Rocks

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Woodyard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pendejo View Post
There's a new Forsberg to the Avs rumor on spectorshockey.net. It's a real beauty too. I don't think Thomas or Millen would be stupid enough for this one.

"Paul" and "Steve sent in the following: "Just watched 110% (French language sports talk show) and Michel Bergeron claimed that the Avs are going to trade Theodore to Philly in return for Forsberg." "Michel Bergeron said, a close friend of him from colorado (Goulet??) The Avs Could deal Theodore to the Flyers for Forsberg, one for one."

Obviously something like that won't happen...but it sure would help the Avs out a lot.

then we could have somebody (not playing) and counting his money that we like on the team that would chip in productively (when he does play).
Old 01-20-2007, 10:46 PM   #633
Mtbrncofn
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pendejo View Post

Bwahahaahhaha. If only......
Old 01-21-2007, 11:44 AM   #634
Bronx33
lets go partner

Rumpson Rocks

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Woodyard
Default Hockey is skating on thin ice and losing grip as 'major' sport

http://www.dfw.com/mld/dfw/sports/16513144.htm

The NHL is back and, actually, a much better game than before that nasty work stoppage, which stole a full season.

Scoring is actually up.

Attendance is technically up.

Sponsorship dollars are very much up.

Shhhhh, just nobody mention the gigantic elephant in the room, the one covered in fine print... that nobody seems to care.

Thriving hockey markets such as Dallas are suddenly finding themselves fighting indifference. And what is happening with the Stars isn't an anomaly.

Sidney Crosby -- an honest-to-goodness answer to the long-asked "Who is the next Gretzky?" question -- doesn't seem to capture the imaginations of casual fans.

Neither shootouts (a universal success) nor parity (a chance for every team to really have Stanley Cup aspirations) nor rule changes (fewer traps and more hat tricks) have led fans to spend more time watching, much less embracing hockey.

For all of the improvements, a league that used to sell itself as one of the "four majors" is in danger of becoming one of the "minors." No-shows belie the bloated attendance figures. News outlets cover it briefly, if at all. And the network the NHL calls its American flagship isn't as popular as the Food Channel -- and harder to find on the remote.

What is even more ironic is, amid this madness, NHL execs seem content to act as though "If we do not talk about the problems, they cease to exist," instead of aggressively searching for ways to make fans fall in love with hockey all over again.

Mavs owner Mark Cuban was bang-on when he said the NHL has an identity crisis. What it needs to do is sell what makes hockey great and fix what doesn't.

How is the NHL to know what to do? We talked to players, team execs, broadcasters and generally people who care desperately about the game of hockey for their solutions on how to bring hockey back.

Ken Hitchcock

Columbus coach

When Hitchcock coached the Stars, they were one of the hottest things in town. Stars, Stars and more Stars were what fans wanted. Games were sellouts, and hockey had established a pretty nice niche behind the Cowboys. Nowadays, in many cities games go half sold and hockey fights apathy, Hitch has an idea why: Nobody knows who they are rooting for.

Hitchcock's take: The thing that was the buzz in Dallas, for years, was the personalities of the players and the team. The characters of the game were embraced; [Craig] Ludwig and his shin pads or [Brett] Hull and what would he say next, or [Mike Modano] and when was he going to get married, or [Ed] Belfour and his idiosyncrasies. The players and the drama around the team made it very interesting. We sold ourselves, which, in the end, sold the game of hockey. That is something we should get back to. There is too much coachspeak now, same old, same old. All we talk about is the game, the game, the game, the game, the game. We don't talk about the people in the game.

Mike Modano

Stars center

Modano has been a vocal critic of his sport at times. He also has done more than almost anybody to help sell hockey. And while he likes this improved game, he would like to see Sidney Crosby come to Dallas more than once in a million years.

Modano's take: My biggest beef has been with the scheduling.

Go back to the old one. Play everybody in the East twice; once at home, once on the road. I think people are tired of seeing the Ducks or the Kings or the Sharks every other night. I mean, look at the top 10 scorers. They're all in the East. People never see these guys around here. The best players in the West are the goalies. The public has no understanding of who these guys [in the East] are. I'm talking about guys like Sidney, and [Alexander] Ovechkin and [Martin] St. Louis and [Vincent] Lecavalier. You go to Canada, and Sidney is on TV more than Peyton [Manning] is down here. It's amazing.

Brian Burke

Anaheim general manager

Burke remains somewhat of an anomaly in hockey in that he's willing to talk openly and honestly about his sport (in a sport so desperate for publicity, it's a problem in itself that so few seem willing to talk). He believes hockey needs... a better TV product.

Burke's take: To lose a whole season is pretty drastic and pretty damaging to your fan base. I think we brought them back nicely last year. And I think this game sells itself. My feeling is, if you get a person to buy a ticket once, you can probably get them to come back again. So we got to work on the TV product. We have to give a better TV product to grow the ratings. I think HDTV is going to help immensely... but right now a lot of people do not have HDTV and a lot of the games are not broadcast in HDTV. And that alone is not going to do it. We've got to look at where we put the cameras and put a better product on TV.

Bob McKenzie

The Hockey News editor

McKenzie chuckles when he hears folks talking about what bad shape the game is in, forgetting, of course, the ugly '80s, when teams were swapping cities and nobody was watching. But if McKenzie could go back, he would undo the deal with Versus.

McKenzie's take: The single most important thing for the NHL is to get the game to more people. I don't think you do that overnight. The whole OLN deal, I know why they took it. There was money on the table. That said, there better be strong evidence on the table that says they can grow their viewership. I'm going from hotel to hotel to try to find a game. You can't expect the NHL to increase its base if you can't find the game on TV.

Teemu Selanne

Ducks forward

Selanne is in his 15th NHL season, so he has seen both ends of the NHL spectrum. And if he had a magic wand to wave, he would remake the New York Rangers, Chicago Blackhawks and Los Angels Kings into wildly competitive franchises.

Selanne's take: What I just think we need is for the big markets to have success now. If you look at the teams that won the last couple of years, Tampa and Carolina, they are not big-market teams. They had great teams and they deserved to win. But hockey needs the big franchises in the hockey cities to have success. I think that is the biggest thing.

Daryl Reaugh

Stars TV analyst

"Razor" Reaugh is best known for his witty Razor-isms. He also has plenty of ideas on how to "fix" hockey. A lot of them. Good and crazy ideas, too, about turning ice and boards blue while playing with a fluorescent orange puck and cutting the schedule and removing the netting. But if he were commish for a day, he would also employ a "foreigner" limit.

Reaugh's take: You cannot really fall in love with a league that 78 percent of its players are from a foreign country. If you don't know much about a sport but you know somebody who is in it, you watch. We get hurt by that. There should be a limit on Europeans. You can't tell me that some of the guys playing on fourth lines right now from Scandinavia are that much better than somebody coming out of Omaha, Neb., for the 4-6 minutes a night. Europeans are tough to sell from a marking perspective. Sports directors can't pronounce names so they say, 'We'll cover NASCAR.'

This fan's take

I was a hockey fan long before I was a sports columnist. I remember going to games at the Checkerdome in St. Louis and, later, as a college student, buying partial view tickets at Kiel Center because they were cheaper. I had a poster of Brett Hull hanging on my wall for a good portion of my youth. So I am a P1 for hockey, a loyal and semi-happy customer and, if I were commissioner for a day, I'd get a new commish. Yes, I'd fire Gary Bettman or at least send him away with a golden parachute.

This is the really, really big pink elephant in the room that nobody wants to talk about, because Bettman actually did exactly what he was hired to do. He did what lawyers do, breaking the union and bringing financial stability and unparalleled player-owner cooperation to a league in desperate need of both.

What this league needs now is a marketer, somebody who believes in the product, somebody who lives and breathes and loves hockey, somebody not named Bettman.

My vote would be for Mark Cuban. Or Razor. Or both. Whomever the NHL chooses needs to be willing to listen to the Razors and McKenzies and Hitches and, yes, fans like me.
Old 01-21-2007, 11:55 AM   #635
Tredici
Ring of Famer

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out what's killing hockey. It's the determined indifference of the major television networks.

The rest of that stuff is mostly hooey. Except the scheduling. Trying to force rivalries by playing every team in the division 40 times is stupid. Why don't they tell the truth? It saves on travel costs.

You don't need big market teams to win the Stanley. Maybe he meant to say Canadian...

I actually like the foreign influence in the NHL. That people don't watch because of that is pure nonsense.

What is hurting the league is a second rate bush league channel like VS and a big boy like ESPN doing everything they can to squash the sport. Thats what I don't understand. The don't have to broadcast the sport but they don't have to have their announcers showing their disdain and indifference.

Marketing is everything. Bettman has no clue.
Tredici is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2007, 11:56 AM   #636
alkemical
Guerrilla Ontologist

rorrim|mirror

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Prima Materia

The league has NO idea of how to market itself.

Last edited by Bronx33; 01-21-2007 at 01:22 PM..
alkemical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2007, 01:22 PM   #637
Bronx33
lets go partner

Rumpson Rocks

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Woodyard

Quote:
Originally Posted by claviculasolomonis View Post
The league has NO idea of how to market itself.

Bettman has no idea you mean hes proven it with allowing the lockout if you ask me the NHL was riding a big wave prior the lockout. The lockout killed the NHL and the casual fan they need to start this cluster**** over and regain those fans lost and they can start by airing games on free (local) TV as it sits right now you have to have cable/Pay to watch your own home games.
Old 01-21-2007, 02:26 PM   #638
Pendejo
The off-season.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
"The Greek"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronx33 View Post
Bettman has no idea you mean hes proven it with allowing the lockout if you ask me the NHL was riding a big wave prior the lockout. The lockout killed the NHL and the casual fan they need to start this cluster**** over and regain those fans lost and they can start by airing games on free (local) TV as it sits right now you have to have cable/Pay to watch your own home games.
Just wait. The tight uniforms are going to change everything. Bettman is bringing sexy back.
Old 01-21-2007, 02:30 PM   #639
Bronx33
lets go partner

Rumpson Rocks

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Woodyard

I agree with addressing the clutching and grabbing but his all angles attack was and is a joke of epic proportions.
Old 01-21-2007, 02:53 PM   #640
Clockwork Orange
Persona Non Grata

I seen him!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tredici View Post
The rest of that stuff is mostly hooey. Except the scheduling. Trying to force rivalries by playing every team in the division 40 times is stupid. Why don't they tell the truth? It saves on travel costs.
No kidding. It's almost as if Bettman doesn't actually watch hockey. Here's some free advice for he and the rest of the braintrust who came up with this laughable schedule, rivalries, for the most part, are built in the playoffs.

Quote:
You don't need big market teams to win the Stanley. Maybe he meant to say Canadian...

This is another joke. So maybe the large market teams should just get automatic playoff berths regardless of their records. I mean, it's for the good of the league, right? Screw teams like Nashville & Atlanta. The owners lined their pockets with the expansion fees to bring these teams on board (and subsequently watered down the league), but how dare they not know their roles and just stick to serving as fodder for the large market teams?

I have to tell you, it gave me a great deal of satisfaction to see Tampa & Carolina skate the Cup the last two seasons while Calgary & Edmonton fans were left to whine about how they deserved it so much more and how it would have meant so much more to them.

Quote:
I actually like the foreign influence in the NHL. That people don't watch because of that is pure nonsense.

That's the typical xenophobic attitude of some "hockey purists." These are the same rocket scientists that loved the clutch & grab hockey we were subjected to before the lockout. The problem wasn't that the game was painfully boring, it was these gutless Russians and chicken Swedes complaining about it (nevermind that there were plenty of North Americans complaining about it, too).
Clockwork Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2007, 07:32 PM   #641
Pendejo
The off-season.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
"The Greek"

Here's a link to a story about the NHL sabotaging the campaign to get Rory Fitzpatrick elected to the all star game.

http://www.slate.com/id/2157741/nav/tap2/
Old 01-22-2007, 06:25 PM   #642
Mtbrncofn
Ring of Famer

Roy accused of hitting owner

http://www.denverpost.com/avalanche/ci_5058519

The Canadian Press
Article Last Updated: 01/21/2007 11:14:06 PM MST

Saguenay, Quebec - Former Avalanche star Patrick Roy is facing possible assault charges after allegedly getting into a shoving match following a major junior hockey game in Chicoutimi, north of Quebec City.

Roy, a Hockey Hall of Famer who owns and coaches the Quebec City Remparts of the Quebec Major Junior Hockey League, is accused of hitting an opposing team's owner.

Police say about 50 fans of the Chicoutimi Sagueneens prevented the visiting Remparts players from boarding their team bus after a Friday night game.

Roy reportedly then got off the bus and attacked the Sagueneens' owner.

Police say they will interview witnesses before meeting with Roy in the coming days.
Old 01-22-2007, 07:45 PM   #643
Bronx33
lets go partner

Rumpson Rocks

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Woodyard

The Sagueneens' owner is a baby, it is an honor to be shoved by patrick roy.
Old 01-22-2007, 08:28 PM   #644
Bronx33
lets go partner

Rumpson Rocks

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Woodyard
Default And tinkerbell has been tinkering

Players will have the EDGE in 2006-07

DALLAS -- The air was peppered with "lution" talk Monday as the NHL entered into the evolution of uniforms that should produce revolutionary results.

The NHL and Reebok are partnering to create a technologically advanced uniform system that is designed to meet the demands of NHL players.

The Rbk EDGE Uniform System will debut at the 2007 NHL All-Star SuperSkills and All-Star Game (Jan. 23 and 24, 8 p.m. ET, Versus, CBC, RDS, NHL Radio) and be worn by all NHL players, beginning with the start of the 2007-08 NHL season in October.

Player input has been important in the development of the Rbk Edge Uniform Systems. Sidney Crosby, who endorses Reebok equipment, made several suggestions which were incorporated in the design, as did officials from the NHLPA.

"I used the pants all summer," Pittsburgh's Sidney Crosby said. "I'm pretty picky about my equipment, so I'm probably a good one to test it on. The jersey is a lot lighter and tighter, but it moves with you. Hey, it's a new era for the NHL, it may as well be for the uniform too."

The Rbk EDGE Uniform System was developed after nearly three years of study and development with the accent being on performance and player protection.

Two of Reebok's moisture management systems have been incorporated into the EDGE system to make the uniform lighter. PlayDry technology was used to move moisture and quicken evaporation. Reebok then added Bead Away, a water-repellency system to get rid of water from sweat, water bottles and the ice.

"It had to be about improving performance on the ice," Reebok's Matt O'Toole, the company's president and CEO of Reebok-CCM Hockey. "We believed we could make the uniform better. Over the years, the biggest change was the move from woolen sweaters to synthetic materials. And the jerseys got bigger as the players looked for a wider range of motion.

"We've applied technology from other sports to help improve the hockey uniform."

The result will be seen more in terms of performance than appearance. While the jersey is smaller than those presently in use, the look hasn't been changed radically. In other words, players aren't going to look like Spiderman, as some feared.

"This is evolution, not revolution," NHL Commissioner Gary Bettman said. "It took three years to get this right."

To get what right you boob? why don't fix something that needs fixing besides your wallet

The new uniforms utilize four unique fabrics which keep players lighter, drier and better protected while maintaining durability. Stretch mesh provides ventilation and greater range of motion. 4Way Stretch Pique employs Rbk's Bead Away water-repellent technology. X-trafil provides durability. A stretch fabric in the collar features Reebok's PlayDry moisture-wicking technology to maximize comfort and breathability.

PlayDry's wicking capability and Bead Away's water repellency combine to reduce NHL sweater weight by 14 percent while wicking 76 percent more moisture away from the body. Players stay warmer, drier and fresher while avoiding the energy-draining effect of wearing a wet sweater at freezing temperatures.

The Eastern Conference version of the Rbk EDGE uniforms.
X-trafil makes the sweaters twice as durable as the current sweater being worn by NHL players.

Reebok used the Massachusetts Institute of Technology to conduct wind tunnel tests on the new uniform design and Central Michigan's test labs to conduct heat mapping of the new design to see how much cooler the new design would be.

"We had hundreds different versions of uniforms," O'Toole said. "The uniform is 14 percent lighter, 25 percent lighter after games. There is nine percent less drag and it is 10 percent cooler. Plus, there is 60 percent more hip protection."

While much focus has been paid to the jersey, the Rbk EDGE Uniform System is just that, a system. Considerable attention has been paid to the body core, with a pad system for the hips and thighs that figures to provide considerable more protection to NHL players.

"The biggest thing is it's lighter and doesn't absorb water," New York Islanders forward Jason Blake said. "I like that it's tighter around the legs. It feels good to me."

"I especially like the idea that I'm going to be faster," Detroit Red Wings defenseman Nicklas Lidstrom joked. "I'm glad the players had input into the process. They created a great product. It gives and stretches on different parts of the body."

"The bad thing is it's all advantageous for them to move," Dallas Stars goalie Marty Turco joked. "That's the downside for the goalies."

The up-side?

"Water weight and it's cooler," Turco continued. "The way we hydrate, it's great to get the water off the equipment."

The EDGE System promises a world of change for hockey, with players better protected and outfitted to better show off their skills in terms of speed and range of motio
Old 01-22-2007, 09:05 PM   #645
Mtbrncofn
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronx33 View Post
The Sagueneens' owner is a baby, it is an honor to be shoved by patrick roy.
No kidding.
Old 01-22-2007, 09:23 PM   #646
Pendejo
The off-season.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
"The Greek"

I read somewhere that the NHL was planning on fining players who make "alterations" to their new uniforms...which many do now. Cutting, and sewing and the like.
Old 01-23-2007, 10:48 PM   #647
SoCalBronco
Nixonite

Adopt-a-Bronco:
D.J. Williams

NHL won't change schedule for 2007-08

TSN.ca with files from CP

1/23/2007 3:42:27 PM

The NHL will stay the course and will not change the regular season schedule for at least one more year.

That was the decision made the the league's board of governors on Tuesday in an effort to deal with its much-debated scheduling concerns.

A plan to switch back to the schedule the leagues used prior to the lockout, featuring six divisional games and 18 games against the other conference, received 19 of 30 votes. A two-thirds majority, or 20 votes, was needed to make the change.

Edmonton Oilers chairman Cal Nichols was frustrated by the league's decision.
''The politics seem to always enter into it,'' Nichols said after the meeting. ''I think we should be more concerned about the future of the game than specific interests or, 'It's going to cost me a few more thousand dollars to travel a few extra miles.' This shouldn't be about that. It's about the game.''

As it stands, the current format has teams playing eight divisional games, four games against each conference opponent outside the division, and selected teams from the other conference once each season.

It is believed the Montreal Canadiens may have been the only Canadian team to vote against the change.

''I'm very comfortable with the decision that was taken,'' said Canadiens president Pierre Boivin. ''Let's finish the cycle and take the time to carefully think about a solution.''

The schedule issue was debated earlier by the board this season in Palm Beach. A strong majority of teams were reported to want changes and did not want to see more divisional play.

For many teams in the Western Conference, there was added concerns about a heavier travel schedule and less opportunites to draw fans for Eastern Conference stars like Sidney Crosby and Alexander Ovechkin.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=193326&hubname=

Go Canes!
SoCalBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 03:34 AM   #648
24champ
Livin' the dream!

Keep Calm and Chive on

Adopt-a-Bronco:
DomCasual

Nice to see this pic...

and of course these...

24champ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 11:24 PM   #649
Mtbrncofn
Ring of Famer

Way to go, West.

I still can't help but laugh over Ryan Miller. I thought Jose was vain, but I'm thinking Miller has him beat. I wonder how long it took him to have his hair done before his intro tonight. I wonder if he endorses someone's products....say Paul Mitchell. Actually now that I think about it, if it's anyone, it has to be for the Big Sexy Hair line.
Old 01-25-2007, 12:55 AM   #650
Tredici
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalBronco View Post
NHL won't change schedule for 2007-08

TSN.ca with files from CP

1/23/2007 3:42:27 PM

The NHL will stay the course and will not change the regular season schedule for at least one more year.

That was the decision made the the league's board of governors on Tuesday in an effort to deal with its much-debated scheduling concerns.

A plan to switch back to the schedule the leagues used prior to the lockout, featuring six divisional games and 18 games against the other conference, received 19 of 30 votes. A two-thirds majority, or 20 votes, was needed to make the change.

Edmonton Oilers chairman Cal Nichols was frustrated by the league's decision.
''The politics seem to always enter into it,'' Nichols said after the meeting. ''I think we should be more concerned about the future of the game than specific interests or, 'It's going to cost me a few more thousand dollars to travel a few extra miles.' This shouldn't be about that. It's about the game.''

As it stands, the current format has teams playing eight divisional games, four games against each conference opponent outside the division, and selected teams from the other conference once each season.

It is believed the Montreal Canadiens may have been the only Canadian team to vote against the change.

''I'm very comfortable with the decision that was taken,'' said Canadiens president Pierre Boivin. ''Let's finish the cycle and take the time to carefully think about a solution.''

The schedule issue was debated earlier by the board this season in Palm Beach. A strong majority of teams were reported to want changes and did not want to see more divisional play.

For many teams in the Western Conference, there was added concerns about a heavier travel schedule and less opportunites to draw fans for Eastern Conference stars like Sidney Crosby and Alexander Ovechkin.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=193326&hubname=
Criminy, it isn't rocket science. Outside of lowering travel costs this format isn't working. I'm real sure the Western teams are concerned about their fan base getting to see Ovechkin and Crosby. They are probably more concerned their equally talented rookies are getting no mentions because they aren't being featured in games on the all mighty east coast.

The other problem is strong divisions where really good teams just end up knocking other really good teams out of the playoff picture.

Bettman is just clueless.
Tredici is offline   Reply With Quote