The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 01-11-2007, 02:08 AM   #451
Mtbrncofn
Ring of Famer

Jealous!!
Mtbrncofn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 03:05 AM   #452
Pendejo
The off-season.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
"The Greek"

Quote:
Originally Posted by No1BroncoFan View Post
I'll have to keep an eye out for that one at the thrift store/used book store/ebay. I'm currently reading "The Sum of all Fears" by Clancy. Before that I read "Odessy" by Jack McDevitt (Sci-Fi). Not his best book, but not his worst either. He's got two out that should be must reads for any sci-fi fans. "Ancient Shores" and "Eternity Road." Absolutely amazing stories told by a master storyteller.

I have no idea what I'm gonna read next. I've got so many new (to me) books that I'm in danger of hitting some gridlock and not being able to decide. Not a bad problem to have for an avid reader.

Ben
I've read a ton of Clancy books...I thought the Cardinal of the Kremlin was fantastic. Although it's been over a decade since I read it.

I also enjoy Robert Ludlum from time to time. I recommend The Matarese Circle, and for those of you who like your spy type novels with some fresh humor...The Road to Gandalfo. Gandalfo is a very fun book...there's some suspense...the characters are interesting...and you'll laugh...unless you're a "Pricky ****".
Pendejo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 08:33 AM   #453
Sassy
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Eddie Royal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtbrncofn View Post
Jealous!!
It's a "valentine" edition...it says "Between the numbers series"...so it relates to the series but it's not the 13th after Twelve Sharp.
Sassy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 09:04 AM   #454
BroncoBuff

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MALIK+QUANTERUS

Whoa!

Arianna Huffington's "On Becoming Fearless" is a chick book! I hope nobody saw me checking it out!

BroncoBuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 10:58 AM   #455
Old Dude
Super Moderator

Consultant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tredici View Post
I read Gibson's "Pattern Recognition" not too long ago. It had been recognized as a Notable Book but I found it strangely unappealing. A Mish Mash of a character with the ability to spot marketable new trends (coolness hunter) loads of logo info, even an internet chat forum with posts and all. But much of it seemed a bit contrived to me and an effort to get every new cultural phenomenon all jammed into one storyline. Anyway, I did manage to finish the book but I just can't say it was really an enjoyable read. Maybe I need to try something else of his.

My mistake, Tre. The Gibson featured as a character in the book is Walter Gibson, the pulp writer from the 1930's who created "The Shadow." Not William Gibson, the modern "cyberpunk" sci-fi author (whose main work is probably Neuromancer.).

The Chinatown Death Cloud Peril is actually authored by Paul Malmont, and I think this is his first novel.

http://www.paulmalmont.com/
Old Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 11:12 AM   #456
Mtbrncofn
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassy View Post
It's a "valentine" edition...it says "Between the numbers series"...so it relates to the series but it's not the 13th after Twelve Sharp.
I looked it up right after you posted. I thought it was part of the series. I can wait for it then.
Old 01-11-2007, 07:09 PM   #457
Sassy
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Eddie Royal

Quote:
I looked it up right after you posted. I thought it was part of the series. I can wait for it then.
It still has all the characters in it...she might end up with "Diesel" in this one...and leave Morelli and Ranger hanging
Old 01-11-2007, 10:06 PM   #458
Mtbrncofn
Ring of Famer

That would be a travesty. I've been reading these books since they first came out and had to wait agonizingly for each one. Now they go and bait me into thinking she could end up with someone else! I won't stand for it.
Old 01-11-2007, 10:13 PM   #459
Sassy
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Eddie Royal

I finished it...! Wanna know if she does?
It's not as good...not as much action/killing/sex in it But still fun to read!
Old 01-11-2007, 10:14 PM   #460
Sassy
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Eddie Royal

Quote:
That would be a travesty. I've been reading these books since they first came out and had to wait agonizingly for each one. Now they go and bait me into thinking she could end up with someone else! I won't stand for it.
So who are you rooting for Joe or Ranger?
I love the Grandma in these books!
Old 01-11-2007, 11:03 PM   #461
Mtbrncofn
Ring of Famer

Quote:
I finished it...! Wanna know if she does?
It's not as good...not as much action/killing/sex in it But still fun to read!
No I don't want to know!!

The grandma and Lula have been my favorites from day one.

As for the men, I lean toward the Ranger direction. I guess it's the whole mysterious bad boy thing.
Old 01-11-2007, 11:28 PM   #462
Sassy
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Eddie Royal

Hard Cover of PLUM LOVIN'
(Plum Valentine's Day Novella)

April 3, 2007
Hard Cover of MORE PLUMS IN ONE
(Omnibus of books Four, Five and Six)

April 28, 2007
Paperback of HOT STUFF
(Co-authored romance novel with Leanne Banks)

June 2007 (Exact date to come.)
Hard Cover of LEAN MEAN THIRTEEN We have to wait 6 months!

June 2007 (Exact date to come.)
Paperback of TWELVE SHARP

Last edited by Sassy; 01-11-2007 at 11:33 PM..
Old 01-12-2007, 12:37 AM   #463
Mtbrncofn
Ring of Famer

June?!! Geez, that's forever.
Old 01-12-2007, 01:09 AM   #464
Boobs McGee
I promise to stay alive

till the day that I die

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matty P

Just finished a great book called Legionnaire. Biography of Simon Murray, and his five years in the French Foreign Legion...great book and a quick read.
Boobs McGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 01:20 AM   #465
Mtbrncofn
Ring of Famer

Wow! Haven't seen you around these parts in awhile, bronconia. Welcome back!
Old 01-12-2007, 08:22 AM   #466
Sassy
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Eddie Royal

Quote:
Yep
Old 01-12-2007, 01:56 PM   #467
loborugger
lost in the ether

Did we finally get a FB???

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Hillis

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronconia View Post
Just finished a great book called Legionnaire. Biography of Simon Murray, and his five years in the French Foreign Legion...great book and a quick read.

I picked up a paperback about 15 years ago called A Mouth Full of Rocks. About a Brit that did time in the Legion before going AWOL. If the legion comes calling, tell me I said no thanx.
loborugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 06:25 PM   #468
No1BroncoFan
Old School

If you have to ask, you don't know

Quote:
Quote:
Yep
That's nothing. Try waiting 11 years and counting for the next book in a series. That's forever!

I'm just about finished with "Lisey's Story." After a slow start, wow.

Ben
No1BroncoFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2007, 12:27 AM   #469
Boobs McGee
I promise to stay alive

till the day that I die

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matty P

Quote:
Wow! Haven't seen you around these parts in awhile, bronconia. Welcome back!
THANKS! good to be back! Finally got a computer and some internet, so hopefully I can contribute a little more frequently again!
Old 01-13-2007, 12:28 AM   #470
Rascal
RIP

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Turf

Currently reading The Great Gatsby and Guns, Germs, and Steel. Don't agree with everything that Diamond has stated in that book but it's a good read.
Rascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2007, 12:28 AM   #471
Boobs McGee
I promise to stay alive

till the day that I die

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matty P

Quote:
Originally Posted by loborugger View Post
I picked up a paperback about 15 years ago called A Mouth Full of Rocks. About a Brit that did time in the Legion before going AWOL. If the legion comes calling, tell me I said no thanx.
seriously...some of the training/everday routine/punishment those guys go through is insane. I'm definitely NOT signing up
Old 01-23-2007, 07:56 PM   #472
No1BroncoFan
Old School

If you have to ask, you don't know

Just finished (audio books) "Dragon's Blood" by Todd McCaffrey (apparently Anne has passed the torch), "LT's Theory of Pets" and "The Stationary Bike" "by Stephen King and (print) "Fourth and Fixed" by Reggie Rivers. 4th & Fixed was a great ride and the Pern novel by Todd McCaffrey was the best one in a long, long, long time. Theory was quite good and very funny in places, but "Stationary Bike" was a bit dull. Currently I'm workling on "Cell" (again, audio book) and "Manifold Origin" (print) by Stephen Baxter. It's the third in the "Manifold" series and I have high hopes for it.

Why oh why didn't I ever get any audio books before now?!? Not only are they great for the commute, but they really make a boring day at work go quickly!

Ben
No1BroncoFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 11:04 PM   #473
ludo21
RIP Darrent Williams

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Paul Ernster

Just finished "Life Expectancy" by Dean Koontz.

Solid book, not his best, but i enjoyed it!
ludo21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 07:28 AM   #474
BroncoBuff

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MALIK+QUANTERUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rascal
Currently reading Guns, Germs, and Steel. Don't agree with everything that Diamond has stated in that book but it's a good read.
"The Third Chimpanzee" was a better book I thought, even though GGS was a bigger seller. Kinda odd that in both books, he seems obsessed with Papua New Guinea ... Papua New Guinea is the test-tube for all comparisons of anthropological advancement in his view. GGS has too much opinion and surmising for me anyway. Stick to the science, you crazy Diamond. Also strange .... Diamond resigned his professorship at UCLA a couppla years ago, to accept a post at ... USC!

____

I'm finishing Pat Buchanan's "State of Emergency" now. I'm really on board with many of his issues - not to where I'm watching Lou Dobbs or anything insane like that - but he has excellent, well-reasoned points. He's a bit too salesman-like sometimes, though ... e.g.: whenever he lists all the crimes illegal aliens commit here, ("assault, rape and murder"), he always adds "child molesting" to his list. He does it to heighten the reader's emotional outrage, of course, but I'm not impressed that too many Mexican illegals are actually pedophiles ...

Next up is "Bait and Switch : The (futile) Pursuit of the American dream" by Barbara Ehrenreich. A "disappearing middle class" book I'm reading in honor of my two new favorite politicians and their pet issue: Jon Tester and Jim Webb.

I'm also kinda ramming through John Stossel's "Myths, Lies, and Downright Stupidity." It's interesting, but JOHN! Not everything can be solved with free market solutions, pal. Even Milton Friedman knew that government regulation has its place.

And Stossel is SO FREAKING OBSESSED with lawyers!!!! "Lawyers are killing colleges these days because they file so many Title IX lawsuits. Their actions cause colleges and taxpayers to suffer." Hey, Stossel! Where's all your free-market advocacy now? Title IX are civil-rights suits, and as such, they include attorneys fees provisions for prevailing parties ... SOOOO ... lawyers gravitate toward them. Blame the politicians!

And he makes fun of the title "Esquire" that many lawyers use after their names. He mockingly points out that it means nothing. True, but what he doesn't tell you is that attorneys are not permitted to call themselves "Doctor," even though we have doctorates. Doctorates in other fields do this, but the American Bar Association long ago decided that it gave the wrong impression to the public, so attorneys cannot call themselves "doctor," despite the fact they are. Eat them ethics, mustache-boy!

Last edited by BroncoBuff; 01-28-2007 at 05:02 AM..
BroncoBuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007, 03:13 AM   #475
Tredici
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoBuff View Post
"The Third Chimpanzee" was a better book I thought, even though GGS was a bigger seller. Kinda odd that in both books, he seems obsessed with Papua New Guinea ... Papua New Guinea is the test-tube for all comparisons of anthropological advancement in his view. GGS has too much opinion and surmising for me anyway. Stick to the science, you crazy Diamond. Also strange .... Diamond resigned his professorship at UCLA a couppla years ago, to accept a post at ... USC!

____

I'm finishing Pat Buchanan's "State of Emergency" now. I'm really on board with many of his issues - not to where I'm watching Lou Dobbs or anything insane like that - but he has excellent, well-reasoned points. He's a bit too salesman-like sometimes, though ... e.g.: whenever he lists all the crimes illegal aliens commit here, ("assault, rape and murder"), he always adds "child molesting" to his list. He does it to heighten the reader's emotional outrage, of course, but I'm not impressed that too many Mexican illegals are actually pedophiles ...

Next up is "Bait and Switch : The (futile) Pursuit of the American dream" by Barbara Ehrenreich. A "disappearing middle class" book I'm reading in honor of my two new favorite politicians and their pet issue: Jon Tester and Jim Webb.

I'm also kinda ramming through John Stossel's "Myths, Lies, and Downright Stupidity." It's interesting, but JOHN! Not everything can be solved with free market solutions, pal. Even Milton Friedman knew that government regulation has its place.

And Stossel is SO FREAKING OBSESSED with lawyers!!!! "Lawyers are killing colleges these days because they file so many Title IX lawsuits. Their actions cause colleges and taxpayers to suffer." Hey, Stossel! Where's all your free-market advocacy now? Title IX are civil-rights suits, and as such, they include attorneys fees provisions for prevailing parties ... SOOOO ... lawyers gravitate toward them. Blame the politicians!

And he makes fun of the title "Esquire" that many lawyers use after their names. He mockingly points out that it means nothing. True, but what he doesn't tell you is that attorneys are not permitted to call themselves "Doctor," even though we have doctorates. Doctorates in other fields do this, but the American Bar Association long ago decided that it gave the wrong impression to the public, so attorneys cannot call themselves "doctor," despite the fact they are. Eat them ethics, mustache-boy!
Can you be Indian Chiefs?
Tredici is offline   Reply With Quote