The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-03-2006, 12:14 PM   #426
Tredici
Ring of Famer
 

Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 9,949
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by loborugger View Post
I am just finishing up The Milagro Beanfield War. I read it as a teen 20 years ago. I am getting more outta this time around - makes me miss living in NM. The other day on the subway I saw 2 separate folks on different trains reading 1984. Hadnt even thought about that book, since, well, 1984. I think that is my next one.
Did you finish the entire Milagro trilogy? Next was The Magic Journey and then the Nirvana Blues. I remember reading all of them, but the Beanfield Wars was always the best one though.

One of what I worked on lately was The Town That Forgot How To Breath by Kenneth Harvey. I like horror novels but this one well, it's a little low keyed. Had some terrific imagery in it, but there really isn't much beyond his main idea which could've been a 50 page short story instead of a 400 page novel.
Tredici is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006, 09:49 PM   #427
BlaK-Argentina
Pampita says...
 
BlaK-Argentina's Avatar
 
... support your team!

Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Villa La Angostura
Posts: 5,104
Default

I'm reading "The Count of Monte Cristo" right now. Anyone read it?

Last edited by BlaK-Argentina; 12-12-2006 at 10:01 PM..
BlaK-Argentina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006, 10:23 PM   #428
Arkansas Bronco
Ring of Famer
 

Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 5,193

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ryan Clady
Default

Pretty sure this one has bound to come up but i just finished Without Remorse by Tom Clancy. One of the easyest books to read, I could never put the book down it was so involving.
Arkansas Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006, 09:34 PM   #429
No1BroncoFan
Old School
 
No1BroncoFan's Avatar
 
If you have to ask, you don't know

Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Rocky Mountain High
Posts: 2,711
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkansas Bronco View Post
Pretty sure this one has bound to come up but i just finished Without Remorse by Tom Clancy. One of the easyest books to read, I could never put the book down it was so involving.
I'll have to keep an eye out for that one at the thrift store/used book store/ebay. I'm currently reading "The Sum of all Fears" by Clancy. Before that I read "Odessy" by Jack McDevitt (Sci-Fi). Not his best book, but not his worst either. He's got two out that should be must reads for any sci-fi fans. "Ancient Shores" and "Eternity Road." Absolutely amazing stories told by a master storyteller.

I have no idea what I'm gonna read next. I've got so many new (to me) books that I'm in danger of hitting some gridlock and not being able to decide. Not a bad problem to have for an avid reader.

Ben
No1BroncoFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2006, 01:42 AM   #430
Tredici
Ring of Famer
 

Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 9,949
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by No1BroncoFan View Post
I'll have to keep an eye out for that one at the thrift store/used book store/ebay. I'm currently reading "The Sum of all Fears" by Clancy. Before that I read "Odessy" by Jack McDevitt (Sci-Fi). Not his best book, but not his worst either. He's got two out that should be must reads for any sci-fi fans. "Ancient Shores" and "Eternity Road." Absolutely amazing stories told by a master storyteller.

I have no idea what I'm gonna read next. I've got so many new (to me) books that I'm in danger of hitting some gridlock and not being able to decide. Not a bad problem to have for an avid reader.

Ben
Ever read The Charm School by Nelson Demille? Not as detail oriented as Clancy but a good read.
Tredici is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2006, 08:37 AM   #431
loborugger
lost in the ether
 
loborugger's Avatar
 
Did we finally get a FB???

Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: The 'cuse
Posts: 5,709

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Hillis
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tredici View Post
Did you finish the entire Milagro trilogy? Next was The Magic Journey and then the Nirvana Blues. I remember reading all of them, but the Beanfield Wars was always the best one though.

One of what I worked on lately was The Town That Forgot How To Breath by Kenneth Harvey. I like horror novels but this one well, it's a little low keyed. Had some terrific imagery in it, but there really isn't much beyond his main idea which could've been a 50 page short story instead of a 400 page novel.
I read all three of them back in the 80s. I liked them all about the same.
loborugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2006, 04:47 PM   #432
scorpio
Cubicle Pimp
 
scorpio's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 3,502
Default




A quasi-sequel to American Gods, this book is really fun to read.
scorpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2006, 04:54 PM   #433
BroncoInferno
Ring of Famer
 

Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 13,214
Default

BroncoInferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2006, 07:44 PM   #434
No1BroncoFan
Old School
 
No1BroncoFan's Avatar
 
If you have to ask, you don't know

Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Rocky Mountain High
Posts: 2,711
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tredici View Post
Ever read The Charm School by Nelson Demille? Not as detail oriented as Clancy but a good read.
I see by the listings at the local library that he's the same guy who wrote "The General's Daughter." I've heard the movie is good (don't know since I refuse to watch anything with John Revolta in it) so I'll have to check him out. You certainly didn't steer me wrong last time. John Dunning is an excellent author.

Have you read "Just Revenge" by Alan M. Dershowitz? I think you'd like it. It may be hard to find. It's the onlt novel he's written and it didn't sell well. Great read though.

Ben
No1BroncoFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2006, 04:54 AM   #435
No1BroncoFan
Old School
 
No1BroncoFan's Avatar
 
If you have to ask, you don't know

Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Rocky Mountain High
Posts: 2,711
Default

Well, we stopped in at a new (to us) thrift store last night and I absolutely SCORED in the book department. "Skipping Christmas" by John Grisham and "4th and Fixed by Reggie Rivers. It may not sound like much, but "4th and Fixed" is a signed first in near mint condition! Now I know what I'm reading next (yes I am one of those heretics that will actually read a signed first )

Ben
No1BroncoFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2006, 06:25 AM   #436
BroncoBuff
***************
 
BroncoBuff's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Seattle
Posts: 25,855

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MALIK+QUANTERUS
Default

How about this for a two-fer:

1. "FIASCO" by Thomas Ricks, detailing Bush's failed war
2. "Our 50 States" semi-children's book by Lynne Cheney

True story - both on my nightstand.
BroncoBuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 10:43 AM   #437
Tredici
Ring of Famer
 

Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 9,949
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by No1BroncoFan View Post
I see by the listings at the local library that he's the same guy who wrote "The General's Daughter." I've heard the movie is good (don't know since I refuse to watch anything with John Revolta in it) so I'll have to check him out. You certainly didn't steer me wrong last time. John Dunning is an excellent author.

Have you read "Just Revenge" by Alan M. Dershowitz? I think you'd like it. It may be hard to find. It's the onlt novel he's written and it didn't sell well. Great read though.

Ben

Charm School is on my list of favorites. As with most authors some of Demille's other stuff is hit or miss.

I just blew through Thomas Harris' "Hannibal Rising" in less than two days. This one goes back and tells us how Hannibal Lechtor became Hannibal Lechtor. It's amazing how a bit character who appeared in Red Dragon has become a recognizable icon.

I still marvel at the forensic details from Red Dragon which continue to spawn books and movies and television shows like CSI. I remember how it blew me away the first time I read it.

Silence of The Lambs was also terrific. Hannibal, umm.. not so much. That one really seemed overly commercialized and Hollywooded up. But "Rising" was a good read.

I will have to see if I can find Just Revenge.
Tredici is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 05:03 PM   #438
Rock Chalk
Cheeky Bastards
 
Rock Chalk's Avatar
 
Laus Deo

Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: The Backside of the Internet
Posts: 29,750

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris
Default

OK, I know many wont care for this selection but I thouroughly enjoyed these books. No pulitzer material, but very fun and exciting books.

The Halo Trilogy ("The Fall of Reach", "The Flood" and "First Strike") were all very engaging books. Best part is, you dont need to know anything about the Halo game to enjoy them.

First, they are sci-fi so if you dont like sci-fi dont bother.

The Fall of Reach explains the SPARTAN program's beginnings, and essentially gives you all the backstory to what happens in the first HALO game. It tells you about the training, the planet Reach and how Master Chief becomes Master Chief and culminates in the fall of the human controlled world Reach.

The second book was the least entertaining to me, but only because its essentially a step by step walkthrough of the game Halo: Combat Evolved. Good book I imagine if you know nothing about the game though, and you do learn about what the Marines were doing while you(Master Chief) are off galavanting around Halo.

First Strike was written by the same author as the first novel in teh trilogy and is much more exciting. It picks up at the destruction of Halo and follows the survivors through some harrowing adventures. It details everything that happens from the end of Halo: Combat Evolved (the game) to the beginning of Halo 2(The game) and gives yo some incredible insight into the Master Chief and Cortana (the AI who helps Master Chief).

If you dig sci-fi, I highly recommend these books. If you are a Halo fan, these are must read books.
Rock Chalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 06:40 PM   #439
BroncoInferno
Ring of Famer
 

Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 13,214
Default



Unbelievable book. If you liked Toni Morrison's Beloved or William Styron's The Confessions of Nat Turner, you will not be disappointed here.
BroncoInferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 07:16 PM   #440
loborugger
lost in the ether
 
loborugger's Avatar
 
Did we finally get a FB???

Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: The 'cuse
Posts: 5,709

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Hillis
Default

I read The Hate Factory. Its all about the roit at the NM state prison back in the 80s. I really, really, really want to do whatever it takes to keep myself outta prison.
loborugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 10:10 PM   #441
BRNCOS1
Rookie
 
Shanahan for President

Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Ohio
Posts: 51

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

The Cell, Stephen King. What you might call creepy good.

Currently finishing Prayers for the Assasin, Robert Ferrigno.
BRNCOS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007, 10:06 PM   #442
No1BroncoFan
Old School
 
No1BroncoFan's Avatar
 
If you have to ask, you don't know

Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Rocky Mountain High
Posts: 2,711
Default

Currently I'm reading "Lisey's Story" by King. It's a bit of a slow starter (at least I hope it's not this slow the whole way through). I'm about half-way through and it just hasn't grabbed me the way King books usually do.

Ben
No1BroncoFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2007, 03:17 AM   #443
Dagmar
...there ain't no devil
 
Dagmar's Avatar
 
..there's just God when he's drunk.

Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Morrison
Posts: 16,755

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tim Tebow
Default



Trying to learn the history of this beautiful game.

Working in Borders rules as I can check out any book for 2 weeks like a library.
Dagmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2007, 10:07 AM   #444
ludo21
RIP Darrent Williams
 
ludo21's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Glendale, AZ
Posts: 19,224

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Paul Ernster
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagmar View Post


Trying to learn the history of this beautiful game.

Working in Borders rules as I can check out any book for 2 weeks like a library.
sweet man!!

Im reading yet another Grisham book. Never interested in law before, but each time I read on of his books I cant put it down.
ludo21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2007, 12:47 PM   #445
Dagmar
...there ain't no devil
 
Dagmar's Avatar
 
..there's just God when he's drunk.

Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Morrison
Posts: 16,755

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tim Tebow
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ludo21 View Post
sweet man!!

Im reading yet another Grisham book. Never interested in law before, but each time I read on of his books I cant put it down.
His latest, his 1st non fiction work, has sold a bazillion copies in Borders. Supposed to be good.
Dagmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 06:35 PM   #446
Old Dude
Super Moderator
 
Old Dude's Avatar
 
Consultant

Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: DIA Tunnels
Posts: 14,794
Default

I'm anxiously awaiting my copies of:

The Chinatown Death Cloud Peril

(William Gibson, author of novels featuring caped crime fighter "The Shadow," and Lester Dent, the creator of do-gooder hero Doc Savage—are trying to solve real-life mysteries that each hopes will give him bragging rights as the world's best yarn spinner. Gibson follows rumors that pulp colleague H.P. Lovecraft was murdered to the fog-shrouded Providence, R.I., waterfront. Dent tracks clues to an impossible killing through the bowels of New York's Chinatown. As the two adventures dovetail, they spawn sinuous subplots involving tong wars, secret chemical warfare, pirate mercenaries, kidnappings, revolution in China and weird science run amok. Lovecraft, L. Ron Hubbard, Louis L'Amour and Chester Himes all play prominent supporting roles.)

And:

(nonfiction)

Thunderstruck

(Juxtaposes scientific intrigue with a notorious murder in London at the turn of the 20th century. It alternates the story of Marconi's quest for the first wireless transatlantic communication amid scientific jealousies and controversies with the tale of a mild-mannered murderer caught as a result of the invention. The eccentric figures include the secretive Marconi and one of his rivals, physicist Oliver Lodge, who believed that he was first to make the discovery, but also insisted that the electromagnetic waves he studied were evidence of the paranormal. The parallel tale recounts the story of Dr. Hawley Harvey Crippen, accused of murdering his volatile, shrewish wife. As he and his unsuspecting lover attempted to escape in disguise to Quebec on a luxury ocean liner, a Scotland Yard detective chased them on a faster boat. Unbeknownst to the couple, the world followed the pursuit through wireless transmissions to newspapers on both sides of the Atlantic. A public that had been skeptical of this technology suddenly grasped its power.)
Old Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 01:35 AM   #447
Tredici
Ring of Famer
 

Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 9,949
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Dude View Post
I'm anxiously awaiting my copies of:

The Chinatown Death Cloud Peril

(William Gibson, author of novels featuring caped crime fighter "The Shadow," and Lester Dent, the creator of do-gooder hero Doc Savage—are trying to solve real-life mysteries that each hopes will give him bragging rights as the world's best yarn spinner. Gibson follows rumors that pulp colleague H.P. Lovecraft was murdered to the fog-shrouded Providence, R.I., waterfront. Dent tracks clues to an impossible killing through the bowels of New York's Chinatown. As the two adventures dovetail, they spawn sinuous subplots involving tong wars, secret chemical warfare, pirate mercenaries, kidnappings, revolution in China and weird science run amok. Lovecraft, L. Ron Hubbard, Louis L'Amour and Chester Himes all play prominent supporting roles.)
I read Gibson's "Pattern Recognition" not too long ago. It had been recognized as a Notable Book but I found it strangely unappealing. A Mish Mash of a character with the ability to spot marketable new trends (coolness hunter) loads of logo info, even an internet chat forum with posts and all. But much of it seemed a bit contrived to me and an effort to get every new cultural phenomenon all jammed into one storyline. Anyway, I did manage to finish the book but I just can't say it was really an enjoyable read. Maybe I need to try something else of his.
Tredici is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 01:41 AM   #448
Sassy
Ring of Famer
 
Sassy's Avatar
 

Join Date: May 2001
Location: ND
Posts: 37,667

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Eddie Royal
Default

Go to bed, Tred! ! I'll answer your pm tomorrow!

Oh yeah...just started "Plum Loving" by Janet Evanovich.
I loved the series 1-12 about Stephanie Plum.
Sassy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 01:48 AM   #449
Mtbrncofn
Ring of Famer
 

Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Bigfork, MT
Posts: 8,484
Default

I'm just getting ready to start Motor Mouth by Evanovich.
Mtbrncofn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 01:55 AM   #450
Sassy
Ring of Famer
 
Sassy's Avatar
 

Join Date: May 2001
Location: ND
Posts: 37,667

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Eddie Royal
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtbrncofn View Post
I'm just getting ready to start Motor Mouth by Evanovich.
This one just came out! January 2007 copyright.
Sassy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:39 AM.


Denver Broncos