The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Other Sports Discussion > MLB
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 01-04-2007, 05:58 PM   #1
Bronco LB 59
Ring of Famer

Keep your head up dog

Default AP: Big Unit headed back to Arizona

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2720413

Updated: Jan. 4, 2007, 5:38 PM ET
Yankees have tentative deal to send Unit to D-Backs
Associated Press

NEW YORK -- The New York Yankees and Arizona Diamondbacks reached a tentative agreement Thursday on a trade that would send Randy Johnson to Arizona, a move that allows the Big Unit's agents to get him a contract extension.

The teams informed the commissioner's office of the specifics of the trade, a baseball official said, speaking on condition of anonymity because no announcement had been made.

Arizona would send pitcher Luis Vizcaino to the Yankees along with minor league pitcher Ross Ohlendorf and shortstop Alberto Gonzalez, another baseball official said, also on condition of anonymity. The Yankees also might receive another minor league pitcher, the official said, and would pay between $1.5 million and $2 million of Johnson's $16 million salary this year.

A source told ESPN.com's Jayson Stark the unidentified minor league pitcher was Steven Jackson.
Bronco LB 59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-04-2007, 07:50 PM   #2
Pendejo
The off-season.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
"The Greek"

I'm glad to see it. A week or so ago there was an article in a New York paper that said the Madres were at the top of the list. According to the article the Madres were offering Linebrink and a prospect or two for Johnson.

It was a horrible sounding deal from the San Diego perspective.

Hey LB_52...I think it was during the winter meetings that I read that the Madres had been in talks with the Reds for a deal including Adam Dunn, and Linebrink. What would you give up for Dunn? He'd be a defensive liability in PetCo, but legit power hitters have no problem leaving the yard there. Cameron's range in center helps too.

Last edited by Pendejo; 01-04-2007 at 07:54 PM..
Pendejo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 09:03 PM   #3
-Slap-
Ring of Famer

This would be a solid trade for the D-Backs. I liked them to win the West before this trade and this won't do anything to change my mind. I expert a mini-rebirth for Johnson back in AZ.
-Slap- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 10:44 PM   #4
Pendejo
The off-season.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
"The Greek"

According to sportsline...last week the deal between the Madres and Yankees...was Linebrink, and Chase Headley for Johnson...with NY eating 7.5 million of his contract.

http://www.sportsline.com/mlb/story/9908235

I've seen Chase quite a bit at Elsinore, and he's a pretty good prospect. I'd rather the Madres sign fat David Wells than take on Johnson.

If the Madres are intent on moving Linebrink I'd prefer they use him to pick up a bat. They've already got a pretty solid rotation.
Old 01-04-2007, 11:22 PM   #5
Bronco LB 59
Ring of Famer

Keep your head up dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pendejo View Post
I'm glad to see it. A week or so ago there was an article in a New York paper that said the Madres were at the top of the list. According to the article the Madres were offering Linebrink and a prospect or two for Johnson.

It was a horrible sounding deal from the San Diego perspective.
The Padres are light years away from Murderers Row, so I thought it was actually a good idea to shoot for the Big Unit. Other than LF or C, there really isn't a position where they can improve their offense right now. They already have a pretty damn good staff, I thought why not try to compile the best pitching from rotation to bullpen in baseball then. Put a team on the field that beats you in crunch time with 1-0, 2-1 pitching duels. What's wrong with being baseball's version of the 2000 Ravens. I may be in the minority, but I didn't think it was a bad idea.

On the flip side, Big Unit is a POS person so I am not really upset about not landing him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pendejo
Hey LB_52...I think it was during the winter meetings that I read that the Madres had been in talks with the Reds for a deal including Adam Dunn, and Linebrink. What would you give up for Dunn? He'd be a defensive liability in PetCo, but legit power hitters have no problem leaving the yard there. Cameron's range in center helps too.
I don't know who the Reds wanted, but Sandy Alderson said last night on 1090 the Padres were still open minded about completing a trade for Dunn. For years now, Dunn has been a target of rumors so it's hard for me to get too excited when the Reds haven't pulled the trigger on numerous occasions. The Padres have such a weak farm system that it's hard to imagine they would finally budge unless San Diego sent them an established big league guy with some value. Another rumored name I have heard that I like is Pat Burrell.
Old 01-04-2007, 11:31 PM   #6
Bronco LB 59
Ring of Famer

Keep your head up dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pendejo View Post
According to sportsline...last week the deal between the Madres and Yankees...was Linebrink, and Chase Headley for Johnson...with NY eating 7.5 million of his contract.

http://www.sportsline.com/mlb/story/9908235

I've seen Chase quite a bit at Elsinore, and he's a pretty good prospect. I'd rather the Madres sign fat David Wells than take on Johnson.

If the Madres are intent on moving Linebrink I'd prefer they use him to pick up a bat. They've already got a pretty solid rotation.
Just like Denver needs d-linemen, the Padres desperately need a slugging LF more than anything else. I agree with you on that. Would you pull the trigger if the Reds or Phillies not only asked for Linebrink, but they asked for Clay Hensley and another prospect like Carrillo or Headley as well?

Headley does a lot of things well. I think he's already big league ready with the glove. Most outsiders aren't holding the Padres system in high regard, though. Which tells me giving up some of the team's Triple-A and Double-A is not such a bad idea after all. There isn't a lot of high ceiling guys in the higher levels. For instance, this prospect expert who used to work for ESPN rated Kevin Kouzmanoff as the organization's top prospect.

http://www.minorleagueball.com/story.../2/142537/4579
Old 01-04-2007, 11:44 PM   #7
Bronco LB 59
Ring of Famer

Keep your head up dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Slap- View Post
This would be a solid trade for the D-Backs. I liked them to win the West before this trade and this won't do anything to change my mind. I expert a mini-rebirth for Johnson back in AZ.
The D-Backs didn't give up anybody significant for the Big Unit, either. What if Doug Davis returns to his 04-05 form?

I like their kids a lot, but Chad Tracy and Eric Byrnes are their most established returning position players with the bat. They have a lot riding on their pups. Drew, Quentin and Jackson have gotten most of the headlines of their youngsters, but I think their CF Chris Young is going to be the best of the bunch in the long run. I see multiple Gold Gloves and 30-30 seasons in his future.
Old 01-05-2007, 12:23 AM   #8
Pendejo
The off-season.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
"The Greek"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronco LB 52 View Post
Just like Denver needs d-linemen, the Padres desperately need a slugging LF more than anything else. I agree with you on that. Would you pull the trigger if the Reds or Phillies not only asked for Linebrink, but they asked for Clay Hensley and another prospect like Carrillo or Headley as well?

Headley does a lot of things well. I think he's already big league ready with the glove. Most outsiders aren't holding the Padres system in high regard, though. Which tells me giving up some of the team's Triple-A and Double-A is not such a bad idea after all. There isn't a lot of high ceiling guys in the higher levels. For instance, this prospect expert who used to work for ESPN rated Kevin Kouzmanoff as the organization's top prospect.

http://www.minorleagueball.com/story.../2/142537/4579
I would give up Linebrink, and one of the guys you mentioned (not Hensley) for Dunn long before I'd do it for Johnson. Like you said Johnson is a less than stellar human being, and he's also pretty broken down. If the Madres are going to move Linebrink, or one of their few decent prospects...I'd rather they blow it on an area of far greater need...i.e. a slugger. I hear what you're saying about signing Johnson to solidify the rotation, but Wells can be had for less...and when he was healthy last year his performance was comparable to R.J's. Obviously I'm assuming Wells really is interested in pitching in SD again, and that he'll stay a bit more healthy.

I've also heard Burrell's name mentioned...as well as Wily Mo Pena...as possible targets.

Hopefully after the upcoming draft the Madres farm system starts to look better...considering all of the picks they managed to gather this offseason.
Old 01-05-2007, 11:56 AM   #9
-Slap-
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronco LB 52 View Post
The D-Backs didn't give up anybody significant for the Big Unit, either. What if Doug Davis returns to his 04-05 form?

I like their kids a lot, but Chad Tracy and Eric Byrnes are their most established returning position players with the bat. They have a lot riding on their pups. Drew, Quentin and Jackson have gotten most of the headlines of their youngsters, but I think their CF Chris Young is going to be the best of the bunch in the long run. I see multiple Gold Gloves and 30-30 seasons in his future.
They'll be in great shape if Young turns out to be that good because I think Carlos Quentin is going to be a superstar.
-Slap- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007, 12:24 AM   #10
Orange_Beard
Over Jay Cutler

Todd Snider Rules!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tony Scheffler

Back to mullet-land for the chief mullet.
Orange_Beard is offline   Reply With Quote