The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Other Sports Discussion > NBA & NCAA
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 12-18-2006, 01:59 PM   #1
Hercules Rockefeller
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
DJ Williams
Default 15 games for Melo and 10 for JR

Just on ESPN News. Nothing for Thomas who ordered the hard foul.
Hercules Rockefeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-18-2006, 02:26 PM   #2
GonzoLays
Five Tool Poster

Adopt-a-Bronco:
#3 DJ

Unprecedented. But then again, it was a lethal punch though. Mardy Collins staggered to the floor like a heavyweight boxer.

15? Damn! The player's union will file a grievance so some of those games might come off.
GonzoLays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006, 02:45 PM   #3
Clockwork Orange
Persona Non Grata

I seen him!

So what Carmelo did was worse than Van Exel shoving a referee, Rodman head butting a referee & kicking a cameraman and Vernon Maxwell rushing into the stands to punch a fan? Sure.

This will be appealed and I imagine it'll be reduced. That's just excessive on just about all counts.
Clockwork Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006, 02:55 PM   #4
rubaiyat
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clockwork Orange View Post
So what Carmelo did was worse than Van Exel shoving a referee, Rodman head butting a referee & kicking a cameraman and Vernon Maxwell rushing into the stands to punch a fan? Sure.

This will be appealed and I imagine it'll be reduced. That's just excessive on just about all counts.
Well things change...

I think the commish felt Maxwell was a bit understandable...as the fan in question apparently was heckling him about the recent death of his infant daughter.

That guy deserved to get clocked.
rubaiyat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006, 02:59 PM   #5
theAPAOps5
A new beginning!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Watermock - RIP

This was a result of ESPN and the outher media outlets running the story over and over and over. Even the regular news agencies were saying Black eye for the NBA and horror at the Garden. The commish had no choice but to do it. So much for Melos allstar apperance. I hope to God he never does something like this again.
theAPAOps5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006, 03:01 PM   #6
GonzoLays
Five Tool Poster

Adopt-a-Bronco:
#3 DJ

But you know who is partially to blame for all this ****? George Karl. If he wasn't trying to defend the 'honor' of Larry Brown, he never would have kept Carmelo, Camby and Smith in the game after the outcome was decided.

What Brown had with Isiah has nothing to do with Karl. Yea, Isiah fired him Larry Brown, but that has nothing to do with George. He let some outside issue effect the way he was coaching and came back in the ass to bite him. Stupidity. Any other game, Carmelo and the rest of the starters would have been on the bench drinking some Gatoraid but George let his emotions get the best of him.

Now isn't his a hoot? Isiah has managed to **** over seasons for both Karl and Brown. I bet you those two guys are freaking steaming right now. Karl tried to get Isiah back for Brown, and Isiah ****ed Karl's season. hahahah
Old 12-18-2006, 03:11 PM   #7
gunns
I WANT DEFENSE!

Defense, defense, defense

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward

Quote:
Originally Posted by GonzoLays View Post
But you know who is partially to blame for all this ****? George Karl. If he wasn't trying to defend the 'honor' of Larry Brown, he never would have kept Carmelo, Camby and Smith in the game after the outcome was decided.

What Brown had with Isiah has nothing to do with Karl. Yea, Isiah fired him Larry Brown, but that has nothing to do with George. He let some outside issue effect the way he was coaching and came back in the ass to bite him. Stupidity. Any other game, Carmelo and the rest of the starters would have been on the bench drinking some Gatoraid but George let his emotions get the best of him.

Now isn't his a hoot? Isiah has managed to **** over seasons for both Karl and Brown. I bet you those two guys are freaking steaming right now. Karl tried to get Isiah back for Brown, and Isiah ****ed Karl's season. hahahah
Oh please, nothing worse than someone who tries to make an excuse for their behavior. So what if they were running up the score? That makes it ok? The only thing unjust is that Robinson didn't get the same amount of games and that Thomas got nothing.
gunns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006, 03:12 PM   #8
Jori
US Olympian

From Fox Sports:

Melo -- 15
JR -- 10
Robinson -- 10
Collins -- 6
Jeffries -- 4
James -- 1
Nene -- 1
Jori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006, 03:16 PM   #9
GonzoLays
Five Tool Poster

Adopt-a-Bronco:
#3 DJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunns View Post
Oh please, nothing worse than someone who tries to make an excuse for their behavior. So what if they were running up the score? That makes it ok? The only thing unjust is that Robinson didn't get the same amount of games and that Thomas got nothing.
That is not the point. I'm not condoning the actions of the Knicks. But Karl put his team in a bad position by leaving the starters out there during the final two minutes in a blowout. Nobody in the NBA does that. Its like an unwritten rule among teams. He was literally asking for trouble and he got it.

This whole mess came about by George thinking about his binky instead of thinking about his team. Karl has been in this game long enough to know you don't pull those kind of stunts during the regular season. Its his fault.
Old 12-18-2006, 03:20 PM   #10
wolf754life
Anti Homer Board Director

Sunshine and Rainbows Fanboys

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Jack Del erious
Default OT: Denver Thuggets

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2701228

Carmelo got his today, and rightfully so! You don't sucker punch and then run away into the lockeroom like he did.

15 games, 10 for JR.

"I was very disappointed," Stern said. "Clearly, we're not getting through or players in certain circumstances just don't want to be restrained. I would suggest that those players will not have long careers in the NBA."

Wheres Gonzo to defend this? He will probably call me a racist for bringing this up.

Scott and Al at 1 should be interesting on 950

www.950thefan.com

they have live streaming.

When my kid grows up I want him to be just like Carmelo
wolf754life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006, 03:31 PM   #11
gunns
I WANT DEFENSE!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward

That's the point exactly. You just said that this whole fracas was Karl's fault. No it wasn't. It's Carmelo's fault for raising his hand and striking another player. Same for the rest. There's no "if this didn't happen they wouldn't have done that". It's a matter of think before you act. Maybe what Karl did was not the norm but it is in no way the reason for these suspensions.
Old 12-18-2006, 03:36 PM   #12
GonzoLays
Five Tool Poster

Adopt-a-Bronco:
#3 DJ

Quote:
That's the point exactly. You just said that this whole fracas was Karl's fault. No it wasn't. It's Carmelo's fault for raising his hand and striking another player. Same for the rest. There's no "if this didn't happen they wouldn't have done that". It's a matter of think before you act. Maybe what Karl did was not the norm but it is in no way the reason for these suspensions.
Karl setup his own players because of some stupid vendetta his boy Brown had against Isiah Thomas. That's the point.

He is like a parent who leaves piles of drugs around the house and then blames his kid for using it.

Next time, Karl should think about his team before he thinks about his buddy.
Old 12-18-2006, 03:51 PM   #13
gunns
I WANT DEFENSE!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward

Quote:
Originally Posted by GonzoLays View Post
Karl setup his own players because of some stupid vendetta his boy Brown had against Isiah Thomas. That's the point.

He is like a parent who leaves piles of drugs around the house and then blames his kid for using it.

Next time, Karl should think about his team before he thinks about his buddy.
And next time his team should remember they are men, getting paid very, very well to play a game, and remember to think how immature the other team is when it wants to fight, regardlessof what their coach has done.
Old 12-18-2006, 04:24 PM   #14
Master___Pain
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Rock Hoover

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf754life View Post

Carmelo got his today, and rightfully so! You don't sucker punch and then run away into the lockeroom like he did.

15 games, 10 for JR.

"I was very disappointed," Stern said. "Clearly, we're not getting through or players in certain circumstances just don't want to be restrained. I would suggest that those players will not have long careers in the NBA."

Wheres Gonzo to defend this? He will probably call me a racist for bringing this up.

www.950thefan.com

Perhaps you could use an existing thread...like the two in the NBA forum?
Master___Pain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006, 04:47 PM   #15
ABA6776
Rookie

Bronco Fan For Life!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

I think 10 for Melo would've been enough.
ABA6776 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006, 04:59 PM   #16
TailgateNut
Bleedin' orange!

.......as much as tebonites

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Howard Griffith

......shouldn't the embarrasment of being a punk be enough. Sucker punch and then run like a little p***Y. What a class act. Damn primadonnas need to be chopped off at the knees! Include Allen Iverson in that category. He was a punk when he was playing for ODU. Just because they are good at "hoops" doesn't excuse BS behavior!
TailgateNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006, 05:08 PM   #17
Master___Pain
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Rock Hoover

Quote:
Originally Posted by TailgateNut View Post
......shouldn't the embarrasment of being a punk be enough. Sucker punch and then run like a little p***Y. What a class act. Damn primadonnas need to be chopped off at the knees! Include Allen Iverson in that category. He was a punk when he was playing for ODU. Just because they are good at "hoops" doesn't excuse BS behavior!
ODU?

Isn't great that Melo is taking all the heat for this incident? Not that little turd Nate Robinson who ignited the whole thing, not that hack Marty Collins who in back to back games came in just to have another goon play, not Isiah for sending the goon in in the first place, but it's Melo fault. Melo did act like a b****, but he's unfairly taking the brunt of all this. Good thing this happened in NYC, I would want the media to go overboard or anything...

Last edited by Master___Pain; 12-18-2006 at 05:11 PM..
Old 12-18-2006, 05:10 PM   #18
TailgateNut
Bleedin' orange!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Howard Griffith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master___Pain View Post
ODU?

Old Dominion University, or was he at Hampton?
Old 12-18-2006, 05:12 PM   #19
DomCasual
This one's for Pat!

Shameless Homer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Quote:
ODU?

Isn't great that Melo is taking all the heat for this incident? Not that little turd Nate Robinson who ignited the whole thing, not that hack Marty Collins who in back to back games came in just to have another goon play, not Isiah for sending the goon in in the first place, but it's Melo fault. Melo did act like a b****, but he's unfairly taking the brunt of all this. Good thing this happened in NYC, I would want the media to go overboard or anything...
Not Marty. Mardy. I only clarify because Mardy is such a douchebag name.
DomCasual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006, 05:12 PM   #20
Master___Pain
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Rock Hoover

Quote:
Originally Posted by TailgateNut View Post
Old Dominion University, or was he at Hampton?
Georgetown with John Thompson.
Old 12-18-2006, 05:13 PM   #21
DomCasual
This one's for Pat!

Shameless Homer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Quote:
Originally Posted by DomCasual View Post
Not Marty. Mardy. I only clarify because Mardy is such a douchebag name.
Like Isiah, by the way.
DomCasual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006, 05:16 PM   #22
TailgateNut
Bleedin' orange!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Howard Griffith

Quote:
Georgetown with John Thompson.

My bad. I guess he just came home to Hampton, Va to visit family or his peeps in the hood when he started a big brawl in a bowling alley because he didn't get his way! Just trowing chairs at other people because they wouldn't let him have the lane he wanted.

I have no patience for spoiled athletes who think being one gives them the ok to act like asses!
Old 12-18-2006, 05:18 PM   #23
bronco_diesel
giddy-up

Quote:
And next time his team should remember they are men, getting paid very, very well to play a game, and remember to think how immature the other team is when it wants to fight, regardlessof what their coach has done.
excellent post!
bronco_diesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006, 06:00 PM   #24
Master___Pain
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Rock Hoover

From Bill Simmons chat.....I agree pretty much 100% with his take on this

Chat with Bill Simmons

Welcome to The Show! On Monday, The Sports Guy will drop by to chat about the Knicks-Nuggets brawl and the ensuing fallout. Simmons recently penned, Now I Can Die In Peace, which relives the years leading up to the Boston Red Sox historic championship season in 2004 and says goodbye to a lifetime of suffering. At least for now.

Bill will kick things off at 2 p.m. ET but in the meantime, you can check out The Sports Guy's website for anything you might have missed.

Buzzmaster: Bill will be joining us shortly!

Bill Simmons: Sorry im a little late - technical difficulties

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Nic (Madison, WI): I watched the replay of the fight about 15 times instead of studying for my exam in an hour. I thought that Nate Robinson should have gotten a stiffer punishment for his role. What do you think?

Bill Simmons: Couldn't agree more. Nate Robinson is crazy. Just last week, he nearly got into a fight with Sebastian Telfair for the second time this season. He got in 2 separate fights with teammates last year, including a naked School Ties type fight with Malik Rose in the shower.

Bill Simmons: He clearly has Small Man's Complex. I thought he totally escalated the thing ala Ben Wallace with the Artest Melee.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Koby (New York, NY): Basically the way i see it was Melo got 15 games for sucker punching the 15th best player on the NY Knicks...terrible decision for one of the games best players.

Bill Simmons: Agreed - bad decision and it hurt all the progress he made on and off the court in 2006. At the same time, it was NOT a sucker punch. They had been jawing at one another and Collins was clearly egging him on. The problem was that Melo punched him, then backed up 75 feet like a wuss. If you're going to punch someone, don't run away afterwards ... that was a cowardly move on his part. With that said, 15 games is ludicrous.

Bill Simmons: I also don't like the precedent of punishing guys severely for sticking up for teammates. How does Melo get 15 games and Isiah gets nothing for basically being the John kreese of the situation? MSG had him on tape telling Melo, "You better not go in the paint." a minute later, his worst player cheapshots a Nuggets player. And Isiah gets off scot-free?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- tim, santa monica: how is it isiah doesnt get suspended? is a lack of evidence the problem. everything ive read says he was verbally threatening anthony. also, how does this incident further cement his place as worst gm/coach in the league/history?

Bill Simmons: I think the brawl was either the highlight of the lowlight of the Isiah Era. I can't decide which one.

Bill Simmons: One other thing I loved: In the press conference, did you notice that he did the same creepy, sarcastic laugh that he did after saying that Larry Bird would be "just another good player" if he was black back in 1987? Thought that was interesting.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Gar (NYC): Nate was the worst type of instigator. He would step up and talk BIG, but once someone stepped up to him, he backed off. Did you see how fast he backed off Carmelo and stood besides his teammates once he realized the Nuggets were ready for a brawl?

Bill Simmons: I disagree - I thought Nate represented himself pretty well. He's 5-foot-7 for God's sake. His reverse takedown of JR Smith was pretty nice. I just think the guy is a loose cannon - he's like Stephen Jackson with small man's complex.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Jesse (Hartford, CT): First 'Melo sucker punches a rookie, then he back peddles away from the skinniest man in the NBA in Jarred Jeffries, who would have blown out his knee throwing a punch. What I want to know is what Collins said to Anthony? You think he called him a snitch?

Bill Simmons: You're right, it's bad enough to backpedal 75 feet after throwing a haymaker, but backpedaling from Jared Jeffries? What was Jeffries going to do, scratch his eyes out?

Bill Simmons: One more thing: The camera angle of Melo's "punch" was deceiving, I don't think he closed his hand. It started out as a punch but ended up being more of a hard slap. If he had really punched Collins that hard, he would have broken his hand or broken Collins's jaw.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Les (Basalt, CO): It what sense does the video of Thomas warning Carmelo Anthony not to go in the paint, coupled with his response in the post-game interview, not represent "definitive information?"

Bill Simmons: Totally agree. Personally, I think Stern didn't want to suspend Isiah because that would have made it harder for Dolan to fire him. Which will be happening shortly.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Dan, Orlando: Bill, you said it, it's an outrage that Isiah gets no punishment, and Melo did act like a wuss. How come no one is talking about Melo merely sticking up for his boy? and the fact that it was no sucker punch? I was disappointed that Melo even apologized.

Bill Simmons: Agreed. he should have apologized for backpedaling and that's it. Watch the tape. Collins was basically begging for somebody to punch him - it was a cheap foul in the final minute of a blowout, and then he smugly talked trash afterwards and clearly called out Melo. At some point, the NBA needs to realize when people's manhood is being called into question. These are competitive guys with a ton of pride, you can't expect them to constantly turn the other cheek. isiah ordered a cheap shot, Collins delivered, and then Nate Robinson escalated everything... so Melo gets the most games? That's absurd.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Jazz (NY, NY): How come we are not giving George Karl that much slack? I mean, come on, the guys leaves his starters in with a minute left and up by 20

Bill Simmons: That's the piece of this that nobody is discussing - everyone knew there was bad blood with Isiah and Karl stemming from the Larry Brown saga, it was even written about a few weeks ago. Karl is a huge Brown guy ... he left the starters in to Isiah. There's no question. I loved that. Also loved how he left with 5 seconds left as isiah gave him a death stare.

Bill Simmons: My other favorite part of the brawl - how bout 2 of the 3 refs being a 120 year old man (Dick Bavetta) and a female (Violet Palmer)? The only way that crew would have been less prepared for a brawl is if the 3rd ref was 12 years old.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- james (portland, OR): in most of these brawls players are "defending" each other. it looks to me like they just lose it once one player gets involved with another and it gets escalated out of control, but how come hockey, baseball and football can get in fights and suspensions are for 1 game or 2 games and the leagues best player gets 15 games for a single punch thrown?

Bill Simmons: Stern is trying to expunge fighting, but you cannot expect these guys not to rub each other the wrong way every once in awhile. That was NOT a bad brawl. We just live in an era of sports media right now where this stuff is instantly blown out of proportion. For instance, check out this You Tube clip of a Knicks-Lakers fight from 1988 and tell me if it's any different than what happened on Saturday night: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vVnlPq_kYns

Bill Simmons: There have been at least 100 fights in the last 25 years that were worse than Saturday night's fight.
Old 12-18-2006, 06:01 PM   #25
rubaiyat
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf754life View Post

15 games, 10 for JR.

www.950thefan.com

And how is this any different from what happens at a hockey match or baseball game?

I actually find the singling out of basketball players to honestly be tinged in racism consciously or not.

When two hockey players throw down the crowd is cheering them on. Heaven forbid two or more highly competitive basketball players tussle on a much lower level (when's the last time you saw a punch that drew blood in the NBA)??

Maybe people get a bit more uppity about a bench clearing baseball tussle..but no one wrings their hands about the children when Clemens shaves someone's head with a fastball. Heck, it's an unwritten rule to bean an opponent if your player gets hit.
rubaiyat is offline   Reply With Quote