The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Other Sports Discussion > MLB
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 11-14-2006, 09:32 PM   #26
WABronco
WE SUCK AGAIN

All dat force

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApaOps5 View Post
Been a die-hard Red Sox fan since I was 6 years old. So here is my reason why they did that.

The only reason I think Boston bid for this guy was to snake him from the Yankees. He was coveted by the Yanks b/c they have abysmal pitching. So if the Sox can't negotiate a contract he stays in Japan. No matter what Boston keeps him out of NY. I think they treated this as their version of Johnny "Turncoat" Damon.
That's right, but it's not like they don't need him. Their rotation is in shambles right now, and they could use a solid no. 2/3 to slot behind Schilling.
WABronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 09:37 PM   #27
theAPAOps5
A new beginning!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Watermock - RIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by WABronco View Post
That's right, but it's not like they don't need him. Their rotation is in shambles right now, and they could use a solid no. 2/3 to slot behind Schilling.
Oh I totally agree. They need a solid 2/3 pitcher in the rotation. But the Biggest problem is keeping Tek healthy. When he went down our season was done. He is one of the greatest pitch selection catchers of his era, he worked so closely with pitching that he got the rotation going even when they were struggling. He is amazing!
theAPAOps5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 10:04 PM   #28
Hercules Rockefeller
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
DJ Williams

There's 2 reasons why they did this:
On-field: obvious
Off-field: You sign the guy, one of the most popular players in Japan is now on your team. Japan is a relatively untapped market for MLB, anyone believe any of these bidders didn't estimate how much more money they'll have coming back from Japan than before?
Hercules Rockefeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 10:21 PM   #29
Pendejo
The off-season.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
"The Greek"

Saw this video on yahoo. Didn't see it posted. Apparently it's a video of Matsuzaka's "gyro" pitch.

http://www.rotoauthority.com/files/gyroballvideo.mpeg
Pendejo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 11:34 AM   #30
Jens1893
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clockwork Orange View Post
That's just insane.
Why is that insane? Don´t you think it´s fair that, unlike hockey, a team that wants a player has to properly compensate the other team for allowing the player to get out of his contract? It´s a common thing here.
Jens1893 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 04:40 PM   #31
Smiling Assassin27
Louisville Soul Train

Hurry Hurry

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

Congrats on the next Hideki Irabu...
Smiling Assassin27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 10:39 PM   #32
-Slap-
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApaOps5 View Post
Been a die-hard Red Sox fan since I was 6 years old. So here is my reason why they did that.

The only reason I think Boston bid for this guy was to snake him from the Yankees. He was coveted by the Yanks b/c they have abysmal pitching. So if the Sox can't negotiate a contract he stays in Japan. No matter what Boston keeps him out of NY. I think they treated this as their version of Johnny "Turncoat" Damon.
Many believe Boston placed a high bid to keep him out of New York, but they have no intention of actually signing him. There are provisions in place to ensure a "good faith effort" to sign him.

This has the potential to get very nasty.
-Slap- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 10:44 PM   #33
Clockwork Orange
Persona Non Grata

I seen him!

The Yankees will simply respond by throwing megabucks at Zito or Schmidt.
Clockwork Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 10:49 PM   #34
Clockwork Orange
Persona Non Grata

I seen him!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jens1893 View Post
Why is that insane? Don´t you think it´s fair that, unlike hockey, a team that wants a player has to properly compensate the other team for allowing the player to get out of his contract? It´s a common thing here.
Yes, I think that's insane. $51 million just for the right to negotiate with a player is ridiculous.

This wasn't about fair compensation, this was the Red Sox overcompensating because of their never ending case of penis envy when it comes to the Yankees.
Clockwork Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2006, 08:36 AM   #35
Drek
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Slap- View Post
Many believe Boston placed a high bid to keep him out of New York, but they have no intention of actually signing him. There are provisions in place to ensure a "good faith effort" to sign him.

This has the potential to get very nasty.
I doubt it, they have all the negotiating leverage and priced a 26 year old ace potential starter this summer by giving Beckett a 3 year, $30M deal. If they offer anything near that you can't make an argument for it not being a good faith bid as Beckett is the same age as Matsuzaka, was controlled for the same number of years as Matsuzaka has remaining commitment to Seibu, and has a World Series MVP to show for his early career.

I don't find it that hard to understand why they bid so high really. The Yankees claim to make $5M a year in Japan annually since signing Matsui, and thats not counting any profits YES makes over there. Boras claims his Japanese sources cite the Yankees true profits to be in the area of $21M annually. I'm sure Boras is largely blowing smoke, but if you consider a middle ground there the Sox could recoup their bid pretty easily.

The big questions for Matsuzaka's negotiations is the length and his FA status post-contract. By MLB rules new Japanese players are considered rookies their first year and must acquire standard MLB service time for free agency. Hideki Matsui was a free agent and so got the Yankees to stipulate in the contract that they would decline arbitration, but Ichiro has been with the Mariners for pretty low money largely as a result of not having service time waived in his deal.

Boras is asking for the moon if he wants both a large payday and arbitration waived, I don't see any way he gets both.
Drek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2006, 06:53 PM   #36
OrangeShadow
armed

and dangerous

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clockwork Orange View Post
The Yankees will simply respond by throwing megabucks at Zito or Schmidt.
I didnt want zito anyway. a lefthanded flyball pitcher in fenway? no thanks
OrangeShadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2006, 07:04 PM   #37
-Slap-
Ring of Famer

If Zito is going to leave Oakland, he would do well to relocate into the National League.
Old 11-22-2006, 11:01 PM   #38
elsid13
Lost In Space

Bóg, Honor, Ojczyzna

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeShadow View Post
I didnt want zito anyway. a lefthanded flyball pitcher in fenway? no thanks
Not a problem if the pitcher works the ball away for hitters and let the ball go to right center and mid right field, there is lots of space out there. I remember Bruce Hurst being pretty effective that way. But of course that depend on who the heck the right fielder is. I expect that we miss Nixon more then Theo believes we will.
elsid13 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2006, 02:02 PM   #39
OrangeShadow
armed

and dangerous

i dont know about nixon,i know he could play those angles better than a lot of players but he just doesnt stay healthy anymore and his power numbers were way down.
The move the sox should of made is signed gonzo but no,they have to pursue julio lugo

sox did make an offer to matsuzaka somewhere in the 3 years at 8 or 9 a year with mutial 1 or 2 year options at the end
Old 11-29-2006, 12:47 AM   #40
-Slap-
Ring of Famer

Quote:
sox did make an offer to matsuzaka somewhere in the 3 years at 8 or 9 a year with mutial 1 or 2 year options at the end
Boras' reaction:
Old 11-29-2006, 09:16 AM   #41
OrangeShadow
armed

and dangerous

well thats to bad,scott really doesnt have a lot of leverage here. Its not a good idea to take him back for another year in japan and he cant play teams off other teams so hes kind of limited
Old 11-29-2006, 10:26 AM   #42
-Slap-
Ring of Famer

He's got all the leverage in the world.

The Red Sox only did this to take this kid off the market and away from the Yankees, hence the lowball offer. The Red Sox obviously didn't realize how slowly 30 days can pass. Its only day 13 and the media and sports radio in Boston are already starting to hammer them.
Old 11-29-2006, 10:33 AM   #43
OrangeShadow
armed

and dangerous

gammons said from the get go(and i agreed) it would go down tot he 29th day on the 23rd hour.
Old 11-29-2006, 12:28 PM   #44
-Slap-
Ring of Famer

Quote:
gammons said from the get go(and i agreed) it would go down tot he 29th day on the 23rd hour.
It will go past that because they have no interest in signing him.

All they're accomplishing now is tying up their money.
Old 11-29-2006, 08:19 PM   #45
elsid13
Lost In Space

Bóg, Honor, Ojczyzna

Quote:

Actually I don't think so. Theo and the rest of the front office were attempt to rebuild the starting pitching staff for a while. And is Lester hadn't got cancer maybe this move is made just hack off the Yankees. Right now this is the kind of move that I can see them pulling off, especial after the disaster from last year.
Old 12-13-2006, 02:04 PM   #46
Jens1893
Ring of Famer

Looks like they have an agreement as he´s currently travelling to Boston together with Boras, Epstein and other Boston officials.
Jens1893 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006, 02:38 PM   #47
24champ
Livin' the dream!

Keep Calm and Chive on

Adopt-a-Bronco:
DomCasual

yeap

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/6266048
24champ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006, 03:40 PM   #48
elsid13
Lost In Space

Bóg, Honor, Ojczyzna

Nice potential starting rotation. Still need a closer and middle relief. I can not believe they will go with Hanson as the closer right now.
Old 12-13-2006, 04:26 PM   #49
OrangeShadow
armed

and dangerous

Quote:

howd that prediction work out for ya?
Old 12-13-2006, 08:19 PM   #50
24champ
Livin' the dream!

Keep Calm and Chive on

Adopt-a-Bronco:
DomCasual

Um what is D-mat wearing? His girlfreind lend him a coat?

24champ is offline   Reply With Quote