The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Other Sports Discussion > MLB
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 12-06-2006, 01:04 AM   #1
WABronco
WE SUCK AGAIN

All dat force

Default OM Hot Stove Thread

Winter Meetings just started up, and the rumors ARE FLYING! Here's a thread for the big, fat, juicy ones!

Quote:
A source indicated late Tuesday that Seattle might have interest in sending slugger Richie Sexson to the Giants and reliever Rafael Soriano to the Braves. In return, the Mariners would receive a starting pitcher (Tim Hudson) and a first baseman (Adam LaRoche).

The Braves -- who are shopping for relief help -- would then also receive relief pitcher Armando Benitez from the Giants.

http://seattle.mariners.mlb.com/NASA...=.jsp&c_id=sea
Holy **** that'd be an extremely awesome deal for Seattle. It was reported earlier this offseason that Atlanta wants to unload Hudson's contract, and they have a prying need in the pen...so this isn't all smoke and mirrors. SF has been after Sexson since the deadline, too.

A TOR starter and a younger, cheaper 1st baseman? Where do I sign?!?!?
WABronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-06-2006, 09:14 AM   #2
OrangeShadow
armed

and dangerous

sox signed both julio lugo and jd drew
OrangeShadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006, 09:35 AM   #3
-Slap-
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeShadow View Post
Were they specifically targeting a-holes this winter?
-Slap- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006, 09:44 AM   #4
OrangeShadow
armed

and dangerous

theo gets so caught up in numbers.
i hope im wrong about drew but i dont see him as a boston style player. Granted he has great average and OBP so he could fit in perfectly.
i really dont understand letting gonzalez go and signing lugo
Old 12-06-2006, 03:13 PM   #5
WABronco
WE SUCK AGAIN

All dat force

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeShadow View Post
Yea you guys are going OVERBOARD this offseason. I'd say Lugo has a bigger bat than Gonzalez, but at 9 million per?
Old 12-06-2006, 04:06 PM   #6
OrangeShadow
armed

and dangerous

i dont know about going overboard. the rotation with schilling,beckett,papelbon,matsuzaka,wakefield,les ter(possibly) and then if clemens decides to pitch for boston as well. this team will be stacked on the mound
Old 12-06-2006, 07:16 PM   #7
WABronco
WE SUCK AGAIN

All dat force

Rumor going around that Seattle dealt Rafael Soriano for HORACIO FREAKING RAMIREZ. That's quite possibly the worst trade of the last decade...
Old 12-07-2006, 10:09 AM   #8
-Slap-
Ring of Famer

Lugo's a headcase and a wifebeater. Sadly, I respect him much more than JD Drew, who's making more money than Johnny Damon got from the Yanks.

The Boston media is going to feast on both of those guys. If Renteria had problems adjusting to the fishbowl, I expect Lugo to struggle even worse. Drew will be ripped by fans and media alike and it will roll off his back.
Old 12-07-2006, 06:14 PM   #9
Clockwork Orange
Persona Non Grata

I seen him!

Rumor on Around The Horn said that Tony Larussa is interested in bringing in B*rry B*nds to play for the Cardinals.

Someone shoot me, please.
Clockwork Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2006, 10:00 PM   #10
WABronco
WE SUCK AGAIN

All dat force

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clockwork Orange View Post
Rumor on Around The Horn said that Tony Larussa is interested in bringing in B*rry B*nds to play for the Cardinals.

Someone shoot me, please.
Relax...

Cardinals | Team has no interest in Bonds
Thu, 7 Dec 2006 11:54:45 -0800

MLB.com's Barry Bloom reports St. Louis Cardinals general manager Walt Jocketty said the team has no interest in free agent OF Barry Bonds despite published reports of the Cardinals wanting to talk to him.
Old 12-08-2006, 05:19 AM   #11
24champ
Bring back Kubiak!

Keep Calm and Chive on

Adopt-a-Bronco:
DomCasual

haha Bonds signs with the midgets for 16 million for ONE SEASON. They deserve each other, worst move of the off-season by far.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2690042
24champ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2006, 05:35 PM   #12
Clockwork Orange
Persona Non Grata

I seen him!

Looks like Andy Pettitte is headed back to the Bronx.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2691380
Old 12-08-2006, 06:31 PM   #13
Jori
US Olympian

Quote:
Looks like Andy Pettitte is headed back to the Bronx.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2691380
If Clemens doesn't come back, look for the Astros to call the Rockies about Jennings.
Jori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2006, 11:12 PM   #14
titan
Ring of Famer

Fan of Old School Football

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

If the Rockies are going to continue to play cheap ball then trade Jennings now! Some say he may be worth more at the trading deadline but I don't know about that - I'm not sure Jason will have as good of a year next season as he did this past year. I think his trade value is the greatest now, and if the Rockies can get 1 or 2 good prospects for him (like the Marlins have done trading their aces in recent years) do it!
titan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2006, 06:09 AM   #15
Clockwork Orange
Persona Non Grata

I seen him!

As far as I'm concerned, you don't trade Jennings for prospects. You get a guy or guys who can help you right now. I don't trust the Rockies scouting staff enough to choose prospects and even if any of them pan out, they'll eventually peddle them off because they don't want to pay them either.

Another Rockies rumor has them talking to the Angels about a deal that would send Todd Helton to Anaheim for Figgins, Kotchman & Aybar. Word is that this deal likely won't happen because the Rockies aren't willing to pick up as much of Helton's contract as the Angels want them to.
Old 12-09-2006, 06:15 AM   #16
Clockwork Orange
Persona Non Grata

I seen him!

Don't know how I missed this, but the Rockies did sign Jeff Francis to an extension. 4 years, $13.25 million.

http://www.rockymountainnews.com/drm...181361,00.html

Nice to see him locked up, and at a pretty reasonable price, too.

Then again, that small price tag could make him very attractive to potential trade partners somewhere down the line, so maybe I'm giving the Rockies too much credit.

See? This is the level of mistrust the Rockies fron office has created.
Old 12-09-2006, 11:39 AM   #17
-Slap-
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Another Rockies rumor has them talking to the Angels about a deal that would send Todd Helton to Anaheim for Figgins, Kotchman & Aybar. Word is that this deal likely won't happen because the Rockies aren't willing to pick up as much of Helton's contract as the Angels want them to.
That would be a steep price for Helton. Its almost too bad the Rocks weren't able to trade him last year and keep Shealy. With the Rockies in seemingly perpertual rebuilding mode, its silly to be sentimental about Helton at this point, especially with his astronomical contract.
Old 12-09-2006, 12:07 PM   #18
-Slap-
Ring of Famer

Most hideous free agent signing of the off season: The hapless Royals coughed up Darren Dreifort money - five years, $55 million - for Gil Meche.

Gil Meche!

They'll be lucky if he wins 55 games for them.

Its a sad economic reality of baseball that bad teams (or teams in unfavorable markets) have to pay more for talent than richer teams. Its like how supermarkets in bad neighborhoods have higher prices than the ones located in the suberbs.
Old 12-09-2006, 02:48 PM   #19
24champ
Bring back Kubiak!

Keep Calm and Chive on

Adopt-a-Bronco:
DomCasual

Its all about your management and how they handle things. Dodgers spent years rebuilding the farm system and always have a good crop of prospects and go from there. It's worked wonders for teams like Detroit and Florida. Granted teams like the Yankees and Red Sox can outbid anyone for a player. In a year or so your going to see the D-backs and Dodgers start playing good baseball with young kids. The D-backs have alot of young prospects that have good potential. For now though the West is going to be a two team race between the Padres/Dodgers again. Im very happy that Ned kept the Kids again this offseason and Dodgers have probably the best rotation in the NL.
Old 12-09-2006, 03:24 PM   #20
-Slap-
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 24champbailey View Post
Its all about your management and how they handle things. Dodgers spent years rebuilding the farm system and always have a good crop of prospects and go from there. It's worked wonders for teams like Detroit and Florida. Granted teams like the Yankees and Red Sox can outbid anyone for a player. In a year or so your going to see the D-backs and Dodgers start playing good baseball with young kids. The D-backs have alot of young prospects that have good potential. For now though the West is going to be a two team race between the Padres/Dodgers again. Im very happy that Ned kept the Kids again this offseason and Dodgers have probably the best rotation in the NL.
I could see the Diamondbacks sneaking up and winning the West. With Quentin, Drew and Jackson, they've got an excellent core of young players to build around and the farm system has more prospects waiting in the wings.
Old 12-09-2006, 03:50 PM   #21
24champ
Bring back Kubiak!

Keep Calm and Chive on

Adopt-a-Bronco:
DomCasual

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Slap- View Post
I could see the Diamondbacks sneaking up and winning the West. With Quentin, Drew and Jackson, they've got an excellent core of young players to build around and the farm system has more prospects waiting in the wings.
Yup,they have a really good farm system, and already have young guys playing in the big league. They also have a CY Young winner in Brandon Webb so it's very possible they win the west but Im thinking they are a year away from that.
Old 12-09-2006, 08:10 PM   #22
Clockwork Orange
Persona Non Grata

I seen him!

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Slap- View Post
With the Rockies in seemingly perpertual rebuilding mode, its silly to be sentimental about Helton at this point, especially with his astronomical contract.
The only sentiment I really have for Helton these days is pity. I truly feel sorry for the guy. As great a player as he's been, he's never so much as sniffed the postseason in his career and his contract is a major obstacle in sending him somewhere that he'd get that chance.

I'm all for moving Helton just to get him in a situation where he has a chance to win. The Rockies won't be doing any of that for quite some time.
Old 12-13-2006, 09:40 PM   #23
WABronco
WE SUCK AGAIN

All dat force

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...121301763.html

Quote:
Nationals to Trade Vidro for Prospects

By Barry Svrluga
Washington Post Staff Writer
Wednesday, December 13, 2006; 7:24 PM

The Washington Nationals took a major step toward freeing room on their future payroll and breaking loose a logjam in the middle infield, agreeing to trade second baseman Jose Vidro -- who has spent his entire career with the Montreal-Washington organization -- to the Seattle Mariners for a pair of prospects that could contribute to the 2007 team, Vidro said in a telephone interview tonight.

The trade -- which is pending a physical for Vidro, expected to take place Thursday -- is a textbook example of what the Nationals say they are trying to do, eschewing success in 2007 but stockpiling players that might contribute in the future. According to sources familiar with the deal, the Nationals are due to receive Chris Snelling, a 25-year-old outfielder with a history of injuries, and Emiliano Fruto, a 22-year-old right-handed reliever with an exceptional changeup, in exchange for Vidro.

Nearly as important for Washington, however, is that Seattle has agreed to pay $12 million of the remaining $16 million left on Vidro's contract for 2007 and '08. Because of the amount of money exchanging hands, the commissioner's office had to approve the deal before it could go through, and officials there have been aware of it for several days.

The Nationals -- who already have infielders Felipe Lopez and Cristian Guzman under their control for those two seasons -- have been trying to free up money by unloading Vidro since at least the middle of last season.

"I'm very excited," Vidro said by phone. "I'm really looking forward to the opportunity to go to the American League and play for a team that has a pretty good shot. They have a legitimate lineup, and they're going to sign some pitchers. It's looking very good."

Nationals officials either had no knowledge of the deal or no comment on it late today. General Manager Jim Bowden did not immediately return phone calls and emails seeking comment on the trade. Team President Stan Kasten, reached by phone, had no comment.

All sources spoke on the condition of anonymity because the deal hadn't yet been announced.

Vidro is a .301 career hitter who, as recently as 2002, was among the premier offensive second basemen in the game. But a series of injuries to his legs -- including chronic knee problems that hindered him in 2004 and an ankle injury that cost him nearly half of 2005 -- have slowed him in recent years. Since the franchise arrived in Washington for the 2005 season, Vidro hit .284 with a .407 slugging percentage in 213 games for the Nationals. His power, which in 2000 produced 51 doubles and 24 homers, was noticeably diminished as his leg problems prevented him from driving the ball.

"I was sorry that I didn't get to be as healthy as I would like to have been in Washington," Vidro said.

Snelling was a favorite prospect of former Mariners manager Lou Piniella, and he might have been a starting outfielder in Seattle if not for his battles with injuries. From 2000-05, he was injured at least once ever year with such disparate maladies as hand fractures, a broken ankle, wrist problems, elbow tendinitis. Twice, in 2002 and 2005, he tore his left anterior cruciate ligament.

Snelling split his time between Class AAA Tacoma and Seattle in 2006, hitting .250 with three homers in 96 at-bats for the Mariners. He has spent parts of three seasons in the majors.

Fruto went 2-2 with a 5.50 ERA in 23 appearances for the Mariners last season as a rookie, when he also made 28 appearances for Tacoma. He has a reputation for an outstanding changeup and should be added to a Nationals bullpen that is likely to be the strength of the 2007 club.
This is horrible. Snelling is the type of OBP machine that Billy Beane dreams about.......for weeks at a time.

Two knock-up trades so far for Mr. Bavasi. The only way this comes out looking good is if it's a prelude to a bigger trade (Sexson).
Old 12-13-2006, 10:54 PM   #24
TheChamp24
Future HOF...CHAMP BAILEY

The Legend

Rockies ended up trading Jennings to Houston for Taveras and pitchers pitchers Taylor Buchholz and Jason Hirsh.

Not bad I guess since it appears the Rockies would've lost Jennings after the season, getting a CF who is young and fast and can bat leadoff.
TheChamp24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2006, 08:25 PM   #25
Bronco LB 59
Ring of Famer

Keep your head up dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by WABronco View Post

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...121301763.html

This is horrible. Snelling is the type of OBP machine that Billy Beane dreams about.......for weeks at a time.

Two knock-up trades so far for Mr. Bavasi. The only way this comes out looking good is if it's a prelude to a bigger trade (Sexson).
It's a certainly a mind boggling trade given the Mariners already have a young stud at 2B in Jose Lopez. I have admired what Vidro has done over his career, but relying on him as an everyday option at DH is not going to help the Mariners offense.

I don't see how trading Beltre, moving Lopez to 3B and inserting Vidro at 2B is going to make the Mariners better, either.

Snelling is definitely a productive player who you love to pull for because he goes all out, but I am suprised you hadn't given up on him WAB after all the injury woes.
Bronco LB 59 is offline   Reply With Quote