The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Other Sports Discussion > NBA & NCAA
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 11-15-2006, 08:50 PM   #1
Dagmar
...there ain't no devil

..there's just God when he's drunk.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tim Tebow
Default Kenyon Martin done for the season

Nuggets’ Martin out rest of season
Surgery reveals more significant damage than first thought

DENVER - Nuggets forward Kenyon Martin will miss the rest of the season because of a bad right knee.

Martin had surgery Wednesday, and Denver said the operation “revealed more significant damage” than originally thought.

Martin has five years and more than $66 million left on his contract. He played in two games this season, averaging 9.5 points and 10 rebounds.

The Nuggets played at Orlando on Wednesday night.

Earlier this season, Martin talked about how good his surgically repaired left knee felt and how he was getting back to full strength for the first time since undergoing surgery 18 months ago.

Martin was limited to a career-low 56 games last season. He was suspended in the playoffs for his tirade at the coaching staff after his playing time was held down against the Los Angeles Clippers.

The Nuggets bolstered their front court in the offseason with the addition of Joe Smith and Reggie Evans, to go along with the return of Nene.
© 2006 SportsTicker

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/15738460/from/RS.1/
Dagmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-15-2006, 08:57 PM   #2
Dagmar
...there ain't no devil

..there's just God when he's drunk.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tim Tebow

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/basketball/...ts-martin.html

Nuggets lose Martin for season
Last Updated: Wednesday, November 15, 2006 | 8:32 PM ET
CBC Sports

Denver Nuggets forward Kenyon Martin learned Wednesday that he will miss the rest of the season following right knee surgery.

Martin, 28, underwent arthroscopic surgery Wednesday to remove loose cartilage, but the procedure revealed significantly more damage.

"Right now, I'm at a loss for words," he said. "You know what I'm saying?

"I worked my butt off in training camp. For this to happen now, I'm down in the dumps."

Martin started two games this season, scoring 19 points and pulling down 20 rebounds in 63 minutes, but couldn't pinpoint how he hurt his knee.

"It is very difficult to lose him, he has been a leader," Nuggets forward Eduardo Najera said. "And he sets the tone with his aggressive play and personality. "

Martin was drafted first overall by the New Jersey Nets in 2000, and traded to Denver for three first-round picks on July 15, 2004.

The Cincinnati product has averaged 14.8 points, 7.3 rebounds, 2.2 assists, 1.2 steals and 32.9 minutes in 411 NBA games (398 starts) for the Nets and Nuggets.

Martin has five years and more than $66 million US remaining on his contract.
Dagmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 09:12 PM   #3
RhymesayersDU
Go Broncos, Nuggets, Rox

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ty Lawson

Figures. And Nene is down too I guess. Sweeeet.
RhymesayersDU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 09:13 PM   #4
Clockwork Orange
Persona Non Grata

I seen him!

That's three years in a row the Nuggets have lost a starter for the year early in the season. Two years ago it was Voshon Lenard, last year it was Nene, this year it's Kenyon Martin.

Par for the course, really.
Clockwork Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 06:09 AM   #5
eddie mac
Ireland's No1 Bronco

Eddie Mac 87 gone but never forgott

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Rod Smith

Where could the Nuggets be now if they had never pulled the trigger on the trade for this joker

That's a real f***ing shame. Draft picks and cap space pissed down the toilet.
eddie mac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2006, 12:01 AM   #6
rubaiyat
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie mac View Post
Where could the Nuggets be now if they had never pulled the trigger on the trade for this joker

That's a real ****ing shame. Draft picks and cap space pissed down the toilet.
Yeah not sure what to blame there...

The Nuggets getting decent too fast forcing the Front Office to make moves earlier than they wanted...

Or Kiki panicking when his chasing of Kidd, Kobe, Ginobili, and others failed...and threw money at the next cat on the FA market...
rubaiyat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2006, 01:05 AM   #7
RhymesayersDU
Go Broncos, Nuggets, Rox

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ty Lawson

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubaiyat View Post
Yeah not sure what to blame there...

The Nuggets getting decent too fast forcing the Front Office to make moves earlier than they wanted...

Or Kiki panicking when his chasing of Kidd, Kobe, Ginobili, and others failed...and threw money at the next cat on the FA market...
Agreed here. Obviously hindsight is 20/20, but at the time IMO it was a good move, because the team was getting better and they wanted to make a big move to keep that going. Plus, Ginobli wasn't having it, who I believe was the target.

I don't blame them for the K-Mart acquisition. I do blame them for trading Jameer Nelson and Jarrett Jack.
RhymesayersDU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2006, 03:43 PM   #8
azbroncfan
Ring of Famer

Angry guntoting,meateating AMERICAN

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TEBOW

Monumental bust in the FA market. THis guy is more fragile than Courtney Brown and not to mention he brings a thug mentality.
azbroncfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2006, 07:39 AM   #9
BroncoBuff

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MALIK+QUANTERUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clockwork Orange View Post
That's three years in a row the Nuggets have lost a starter for the year early in the season. Two years ago it was Voshon Lenard, last year it was Nene, this year it's Kenyon Martin.

Par for the course, really.
True ...

Does anybody know ... is this the same injury they thought he was being a pansy about last year? When the whole playoff non-practicing, non-playing explosion occurred?
BroncoBuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2006, 03:08 PM   #10
Nuggets4
Requisite Nugs Die-Hard

Buffaloes, Buffaloes, Go C-U!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Allen Iverson

Quote:
Originally Posted by RhymesayersDU View Post
I don't blame them for the K-Mart acquisition. I do blame them for trading Jameer Nelson and Jarrett Jack.
A-****ing-men. If I have to watch Earl Boykins kill one more run of ours, I'm going to stab someone.
Nuggets4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2006, 05:10 PM   #11
Clockwork Orange
Persona Non Grata

I seen him!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoBuff View Post
True ...

Does anybody know ... is this the same injury they thought he was being a pansy about last year? When the whole playoff non-practicing, non-playing explosion occurred?
No, this is his other knee. This makes microfracture surgery on both knees which is going to hamper him forever. Running and explosiveness have always been his strengths and those are going to basically disappear now that both of his knees have undergone the dreaded microfracture.

He doesn't have the perimeter game to become what Chris Webber has, so I'm pretty uncertain as to what he'll bring to the table when he does play again.

Bad luck, plain and simple, but that's par for the course with this franchise.
Clockwork Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 04:22 AM   #12
rubaiyat
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by RhymesayersDU View Post
Agreed here. Obviously hindsight is 20/20, but at the time IMO it was a good move, because the team was getting better and they wanted to make a big move to keep that going. Plus, Ginobli wasn't having it, who I believe was the target.

Yeah. I had some reservations at the time. An Eastern PF has to be looked at twice given the monsters he'll be facing in the West. Especially one known to be fiery (and thus tempermental), and known for defensive intensity.

That and the money.

Though people might disagree, I feel max money should be reserved for the #1 starters, the QB's, etc.

Gamechangers, not just really good players.

But yeah the Nuggets were kinda in a corner and Kiki, from his experience with K-mart, probably thought it wasn't too bad a gamble.

We will see. 1.5 years lost to injury. 1st year hobbling on deteriorating knees. Likely another 1.5 years of playing into shape/mentally trusting the knees.

And he will most likely never be the same...he'll be pushing 30 on two bad knees.

We couldn't GIVE him away...
Old 11-21-2006, 04:23 AM   #13
rubaiyat
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoBuff View Post
True ...

I think so, just on the other knee.