The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Other Sports Discussion > NHL
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 11-12-2006, 01:46 AM   #451
Jori
US Olympian

There was no need to breakup the Wolski/Stastny/Hejduk line.

What was worse, the goal Theodore gave up or the Avs power play?
Jori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2006, 02:29 AM   #452
Mtbrncofn
Ring of Famer

Gosh, that is a toss up. Since Theo is perpetually on my **** list, I'll go with the Charmin soft goal.
Mtbrncofn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2006, 02:58 AM   #453
Killericon
Front 7, Please

Adopt-a-Bronco:
watermock

I'm feeling somewhat confident in the Flames...
Killericon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2006, 11:17 AM   #454
alkemical
Guerrilla Ontologist

rorrim|mirror

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Prima Materia

flames are going to be good this year. They got lots of talent and they play a good game. But they still put too much pressure on iginla to do it all it seems.
alkemical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 12:38 AM   #455
Bronx33
lets go partner

Rumpson Rocks

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Woodyard
Default Tale of Two Cities, by Patrick Roy

http://www.buffalonews.com/editorial...12/2066427.asp

Remember the uproar in 2001, when Dominik Hasek had the audacity to say he would wear the Detroit Red Wings sweater over that of the Buffalo Sabres upon entering the Hall of Fame? It took months to get over that little slap in the face, but it shouldn't have been more than two seconds.

Hasek picking the Wings was in response to an unfair question. Players don't enter hockey's Hall tethered to a particular team, the way they do in baseball. The Dominator will waltz in the way he would prefer, by himself, assuming he'll someday follow through with his retirement plans.

Good thing Patrick Roy wasn't forced to pick a sweater before entering the Hall this week. He wouldn't know which to choose, the Montreal Canadiens or the Colorado Avalanche. He won two Stanley Cups during his 10-plus seasons in Montreal and two more in seven-plus seasons in Colorado.

It's like asking him to name his favorite child.

"It would have been a very tough decision," Roy said during a conference call last week. "Fortunately for me, I don't have to make that decision. I played for two solid organizations and won with both of them. They were both were willing to do whatever it takes to win the Stanley Cup."

And so was he.

Roy had a reputation for being arrogant, built when he was young and brash early in his career, but more than anything he'll be known as a winner. He retired with 551 career victories, the most ever. He had a record 151 victories in the playoffs, including 23 postseason shutouts. In 1993, he won 10 straight overtime games for the Canadiens.

"I had a better feeling going to my house and winning, 7-5, than losing, 2-1," Roy said.

Along the way, he was also a three-time Vezina Trophy winner and a three-time Conn Smythe Trophy winner as the most valuable player in the postseason. The Canadiens initially wanted him to be a standup goaltender, but instead he perfected the butterfly style that became the standard.

Martin Brodeur has a chance to break his records for victories, playoff victories and postseason shutouts, but many insiders view Roy as the best goalie in history. He was a unanimous first-ballot choice for induction, and he will officially enter the Hall on Wednesday along with forward Dick Duff, former NHL Chairman Harley Hotchkiss and late, great U.S. Olympic hockey coach Herb Brooks.
Bronx33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 12:42 AM   #456
Bronx33
lets go partner

Rumpson Rocks

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Woodyard
Default Forsberg trade rumor percolates

Unless hes cheap (no freaking way)

http://www.denverpost.com/sports/ci_4646232

Nashville, Tenn. - Is something brewing between the Avalanche and the Philadelphia Flyers?

If not, why were Dave Brown, the Flyers' director of player personnel, and team scout Al Hill in attendance at Saturday night's Avs-Nashville game?

The Avs don't play Philadelphia this season. The Predators do, on Nov. 29, so their presence no doubt had something to do with that. However, it is highly unusual for a team to have more than one scout at a game.

Plenty of trade rumors involve the Flyers, off to one of their poorest starts in team history. A recent Philadelphia Inquirer story reported that the Flyers have received calls from some curious teams about possible trades, including for former Avs star Peter Forsberg. Forsberg, 33, can be an unrestricted free agent next summer. He told the Inquirer he might be interested in signing an extension with the Flyers and didn't want to play for another team this season.

Forsberg, bothered because he has been unable to find a skate to properly fit his oft-injured right ankle, also hinted he might retire if he is unable to play at 100 percent.

The newspaper listed the Avalanche as a team it believed made a call, but it was not confirmed. Avalanche general manager Francois Giguere had no comment on any rumors.

The Avs still have the retired Steve Konowalchuk's $1.9 million salary to spend toward this season's salary cap.

Footnotes

Kurt Sauer, Mark Rycroft and George Parros were healthy scratches for the Avalanche. ... The Avalanche entered the game as the NHL's least-penalized team (10.8 minutes per game) and had 11 minutes Saturday. ... Former Avs winger Paul Kariya, now with the Predators, recently recorded his 800th career point. ... Colorado's John-Michael Liles is tied for sixth in scoring among defensemen (13 points). Anaheim's Chris Pronger leads at 15. ... Avs captain Joe Sakic is one assist short of Stan Mikita (926) for 14th on the all-time list.
Old 11-13-2006, 01:03 AM   #457
Pendejo
The off-season.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
"The Greek"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronx33 View Post
Unless hes cheap (no freaking way)
Peter's my favorite player, but I agree with you. I'd hate to see the Avs give up some of their young players for them, and I think they need to hold on to their prospects.

You just never know how many games you're going to get from Pete. Give the flyers Brisebois, and Turgeon...etc.
Pendejo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 01:56 AM   #458
24champ
Livin' the dream!

Keep Calm and Chive on

Adopt-a-Bronco:
DomCasual

Avalanche in the Vincent Lecavalier sweepstakes? Granted its Pukeland with the story-

Quote:
The Tampa deal to a western team is "getting closer" according to my source. Although the source could not tell me, another source told me it is LeCavalier, and if Tampa can't get value they will look to the Rangers and try to move St. Louis to NY. Montreal and Colorado also have their eyes set on Vinny, and could get more involved "mid-week if there is no resolution."
http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog.php?post_id=3622

interesting, wonder what the Avs would give up?
24champ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 02:13 PM   #459
Clockwork Orange
Persona Non Grata

I seen him!

Ducks make three deals, the most interesting involving the Avs.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=184177&hubname=

They got a 2nd rounder for Parros? A goon who they picked up off waivers? To say that shocks me would be an understatement.

The Avs now have three 2nd rounders in the coming draft (should they choose to use Calgary's, which I believe they will).

Nice move, Giguere.
Clockwork Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 02:40 PM   #460
24champ
Livin' the dream!

Keep Calm and Chive on

Adopt-a-Bronco:
DomCasual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clockwork Orange View Post
Ducks make three deals, the most interesting involving the Avs.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=184177&hubname=

They got a 2nd rounder for Parros? A goon who they picked up off waivers? To say that shocks me would be an understatement.

The Avs now have three 2nd rounders in the coming draft (should they choose to use Calgary's, which I believe they will).

Nice move, Giguere.
2nd for PARROS?

I knew he was good but not good enough to trade your 2nd rounder for. You guys made out like bandits, but Im actually kind of excited now. Conroy should net the Kings some prospects and a pick.
Old 11-13-2006, 05:42 PM   #461
Bronx33
lets go partner

Rumpson Rocks

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Woodyard

Quote:
Originally Posted by 24champbailey View Post
2nd for PARROS?

I knew he was good but not good enough to trade your 2nd rounder for. You guys made out like bandits, but Im actually kind of excited now. Conroy should net the Kings some prospects and a pick.

This blew me away he must have philly flyer quality written on him iam just not sure how far big bruiser /3rd 4th line checker types go in todays NHL. (But hey iam happy)
Old 11-13-2006, 06:11 PM   #462
Mtbrncofn
Ring of Famer

Wow! That was a great one. Too bad it can't take a bit of the ache from the deal that landed us Jose.
Old 11-13-2006, 06:56 PM   #463
Bronx33
lets go partner

Rumpson Rocks

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Woodyard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtbrncofn View Post
Wow! That was a great one. Too bad it can't take a bit of the ache from the deal that landed us Jose.
Let it go lady, three second rounders could pan out in the goaltender dept.
Old 11-14-2006, 12:27 AM   #464
alkemical
Guerrilla Ontologist

rorrim|mirror

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Prima Materia

Nice to see the pens win and break the slump.
Old 11-14-2006, 12:41 AM   #465
24champ
Livin' the dream!

Keep Calm and Chive on

Adopt-a-Bronco:
DomCasual

Quote:
Roy reveals Leafs, Wings and Hawks also in the mix before trade to Colorado
PIERRE LEBRUN
November 14, 2006

TORONTO (CP) - Patrick Roy a Red Wing? A Maple Leaf? A Blackhawk?

It almost happened, says the newest Hall of Famer. That was his understanding after asking the Montreal Canadiens for a trade in December 1995. "At the time it was clear to me that they were trading me to Detroit, Toronto, Chicago or Colorado," Roy revealed Monday on the day of his induction.

Former Detroit coach Scotty Bowman confirmed the Wings were contacted by then-Montreal GM Rejean Houle.

ADVERTISEMENT
"Yes, he called us, I was handling trades at the time for Detroit," said Bowman, in town Monday for the Hall of Fame festivities. "But we had just got (goalie) Mike Vernon a year or two before from Calgary. I didn't think I could make a trade with them. But I figured maybe I could get the price up. We didn't do it. They moved him pretty quick.

"I knew he'd be going somewhere but I was just hoping it wouldn't be Colorado."

On the other hand, Cliff Fletcher, the Maple Leafs GM at the time, has no memory of any trade talks involving Roy.

"Honestly I don't ever recollect talking to Montreal about Patrick," Fletcher said before the ceremony.

Felix Potvin was the starting goalie in Toronto at the time while Chicago had star netminder Ed Belfour.

In the end, Roy was dealt to the Avalanche along with winger Mike Keane in exchange for forwards Andrei Kovalenko and Martin Rucinsky and goalie Jocelyn Thibault.

"I think Montreal did me a favour as well, allowing me to go to a team that I felt could win the Stanley Cup," said Roy. "They knew what I wanted."

Roy won a Cup with the Avs six months later.

"Had we known they were going to dump him in Colorado we might have started a bidding war to avoid that," said senior Wings executive Jimmy Devellano, who handled GM duties with coach Bowman in those years.

"Scotty and I were really upset about him going to Colorado," added Devellano, also attending the Hall of Fame ceremony Monday. "I wish we had never lit him up that night and that he'd remained in Montreal."

The Wings put nine goals behind Roy on Dec. 2, 1995, en route to a 12-1 rout. An angry Roy, before a national television audience, stared down coach Mario Tremblay before going up to team president Ronald Corey and telling him he'd played his last game as a Hab.

He was dealt four days later.

"Of course I would have liked to leave Montreal under different circumstances," Roy told reporters in French on Monday. "But now looking back, I know I had great years with the Canadiens. I think we brought joy to Habs fans and even probably surprised them somewhat with the two Cups we won (in 1986 and '93). That's what I want people in Montreal to remember."

Roy officially entered the Hall on Monday along with Original Six forward Dick Duff in the player category. Calgary Flames part-owner Harley Hotchkiss and the late Herb Brooks were also inducted in the builders' category.

Next year's class could be loaded. Mark Messier, Igor Larionov, Scott Stevens, Ron Francis and Al MacInnis are all eligible although rules only permit four at the most. Steve Yzerman and Brett Hull are eligible in 2008.

And Doug Gilmour, Pavel Bure, Glenn Anderson and Dino Cicarelli have yet to get in.

But the 41-year-old Roy was a no-brainer in his first year of eligibility after amassing 551 regular-season wins and 151 playoff victories - both NHL records, as well as three Conn Smythe Trophies (1986, '93, '96) as playoff MVP and three Vezina Trophies as the NHL's top goalie (1989, '90, '92).

The four-time Stanley Cup champion is now only missing one honour to cap off his 18-year NHL career.

His No. 33 still isn't hanging from the rafters at the Bell Centre in Montreal. This season former Montreal greats Ken Dryden and Serge Savard will have their numbers retired by the Habs.

"That's up to the Canadiens to decide," said Roy. "I think they're doing things the right way right now. It's normal that guys like Dryden and Savard are going up this season. And the rumour seems to indicate Larry Robinson will be next. It's the right way to proceed. It's their turn to see their jersey retired.

"If one day (owner) Mr. Gillett or (team president) Mr. Boivin call me to tell me my jersey is going up, obviously I'll be flattered."

But you can forget seeing Roy work for the Canadiens any time soon. He's happy coaching and managing his Quebec Remparts junior club.

"I doubt I'll find myself with the Canadiens one day although I'm not saying for sure that won't happen," Roy said. "Right now that organization is in great hands with a super head coach and an excellent GM. Guy Carbonneau and Bob Gainey are doing a phenomenal job and will be there for many years.

"And I like my work in junior, I feel like it's my place. There's a lot of coaches in junior that dream of making a career in the NHL way more than me.

"I lived the NHL life and today I'm happy in junior."

If there's something missing on Roy's shiny pedigree, it's his lack of an international presence. He never played in the old Canada Cups or IIHF world championships.

His one and only international tournament was the '98 Nagano Olympics and he came back without a medal although he was strong for Team Canada before losing a goalie dual to Dominik Hasek and the Czech Republic in the semifinals.

"My career was not about international events, it was about playing in the NHL," said Roy. "That was my dream and that's what I wanted. Certainly I would have liked to have seen us win in Nagano but I have no regrets. I went there and played hard and did what I could. But of course I would have like to win
http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/news?slu...v=cp&type=lgns
Old 11-14-2006, 03:32 AM   #466
broncocalijohn
Famer of Rings

I said Do It!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Simon Fletcher

Federuk was bashed in the face i believe in Chicago more than a week ago and still had problems with it. Dont know about a 2nd rounder though. Chistov was down in Portland and not playing at all until last week. Ducks have enough young studs but stacking the draft pick makes me wonder if they will package them (but they arent that high up) or just stack up the minors. It worked once. Makes me wonder what the salary room will be bringing in the near future.
broncocalijohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 06:01 PM   #467
Mtbrncofn
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronx33 View Post
Let it go lady, three second rounders could pan out in the goaltender dept.
Just can't help it. Especially after I watch him play night in and night out.
Old 11-16-2006, 06:08 PM   #468
Mtbrncofn
Ring of Famer

What's the word on the Cheechoo injury?

And what in the hell is taking Leopold so damn long to get back? Are we going to see him play or ring the new year in first?
Old 11-17-2006, 10:55 AM   #469
alkemical
Guerrilla Ontologist

rorrim|mirror

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Prima Materia

Quote:
What's the word on the Cheechoo injury?

And what in the hell is taking Leopold so damn long to get back? Are we going to see him play or ring the new year in first?

I hope CheeChoo is out for a while personally - that would be karma
Old 11-17-2006, 08:17 PM   #470
SoCalBronco
Nixonite

Adopt-a-Bronco:
D.J. Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by claviculasolomonis View Post
I hope CheeChoo is out for a while personally - that would be karma
Agreed. Hopefully he continues to struggle with injuries for as long as possible. He probably ruined our season, single handedly. **** him.

BRING BACK BUTCH
SoCalBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2006, 12:44 PM   #471
Bronx33
lets go partner

Rumpson Rocks

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Woodyard

http://torontosun.com/Sports/Hockey/...04690-sun.html

Jody shelley talking smack about a midget that has more heart then he will ever have and also a little tidbit about the jackets coaching situaition.

If you're an unrestricted free agent next summer and looking to get away from it all, Dallas might be the place for you.

Eric Lindros and Mike Ribeiro, who became Stars this season after playing in Toronto and Montreal respectively, are finding that the only thing that might not be bigger in Texas is the spotlight.

"There's less pressure and there's less stress," Ribeiro said.

"We're just here to play. I'm happy to move on. I had great times in Montreal, played for my dream team growing up there, but I think it's time for me to start a new life."

Lindros played in only 33 games for the Maple Leafs last year because of injuries but had 22 points. His new coach, Dave Tippett, has taken a shine to him.

"It's not that we sold him on a slower pace of life, it's maybe less of a fishbowl," Tippett said. "Philadelphia and the (New York) Rangers and Toronto were all situations where ... everything was magnified. The fact he doesn't feel like he has to hide anywhere is a good thing for him."

Through 17 games, Lindros was tied for the team lead with 12 points. Opponents have taken note.

"He was their best player and he looks like a totally different player," the New York Islanders' Jason Blake said after the Isles beat the Stars 3-0 on Wednesday night.

One who might not be long for Dallas is defenceman Jon Klemm, who led the team with 161 blocked shots last season. He has been a healthy scratch for the majority of games and at $950,000 US, would be a bargain for some teams. It's known the Leafs have sniffed around Klemm, but for now, are happy with their defence corps.

DEVILS REDUX

The Leafs will play host to the New Jersey Devils tonight in the first meeting between the teams since Oct. 12, when Toronto had a 6-3 lead entering the third and wound up losing 7-6 in a shootout.

Devils goalie Martin Brodeur is on the league's competition committee and reports the group is glad such things can happen in the NHL now.

"It shows the new system is working, that comebacks are more probable," Brodeur said before the Devils took on the Ottawa Senators last night. "Now you can come back and maybe sneak a point in a shootout. It's not going to happen every game, but in the odd game it happens and that is the beauty of the new NHL for the fans.

"(They) would go to bed with (their team holding) a 2-0 lead and now they get up and say, 'They lost?' With eight minutes to go and a 2-0 lead, you never know."

In the match on Oct. 12, the Leafs held onto that three-goal bulge until 61/2 minutes into the third, when Brian Gionta kicked off a natural hat trick. John Madden got the shootout winner.

"From what I remember, they just sat back," Brodeur said. "We just took it to them."

JUST LIKE LEAFS AND HABS

The NHL is intent on creating rivalries, darn it all, and appears to be getting one with the Nashville Predators and Columbus Blue Jackets. The Central Division foes squared off on Wednesday, meet today and again on Monday.

"There's always big hits, lots of fights and close games when we play," Predators forward Scott Hartnell said.

Blue Jackets enforcer Jody Shelley happened to hear the name of the Predators' Jordin Tootoo mentioned in the dressing room recently.

"Tootoo?" Shelley said. "Who wants to talk about that midget?"

When asked if that was on the record, Shelley said: "Sure. Why not? Let's get it rolling a little bit."

AROUND THE RINKS

Blue Jackets majority owner John McConnell instructed general manager Doug MacLean to fire coach Gerard Gallant this week and now wants a big name behind the bench. It is expected Ken Hitchcock will be interviewed next week. The question is, how much longer will MacLean last if the losing drags on? ... Message to all NHL personnel: Listen to what your colleague, Blues GM Larry Pleau, has to say about hiding injuries. "What do you think of the two-tiered league now? You know, the upper and lower bodies," Pleau said. "If a guy misses even one game in regular season, we should be telling people why. What's the big deal? I don't get it." ... You can take the boy out of Canada, etc: While his club was watching NFL games on Sunday in the dressing room after practice, Los Angeles Kings coach Marc Crawford had the TV in his office tuned to the CFL East final between the Argos and Montreal Alouettes.
Old 11-18-2006, 01:05 PM   #472
Bronx33
lets go partner

Rumpson Rocks

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Woodyard
Default Burns ponders return to NHL

http://winnipegsun.com/Sports/Hockey...04513-sun.html

MONTREAL -- After being diagnosed with colon cancer two and a half years ago, it seems Pat Burns might turn up again behind a National Hockey League bench, if we are to believe what he said in an interview with RDS (Reseau des sports).

"I haven't given up on the possibility of coaching again," he said without missing a beat Thursday.

Burns was all smiles and the picture of health when he showed up for the interview in front of the cameras.

The former Habs coach learned of his colon cancer in March 2004. After 30 months of trying to win the most important game of his life, he says he's healthy and in good spirits.

WORKING FOR DEVILS

He's even back in hockey, working for the New Jersey Devils as a consultant in the southeastern United States where he checks up on various players and teams.

"I must say I like the job," he says. "But when the subject of hockey comes up with people like (Canadiens coach) Guy Carbonneau, that's when the coaching bug hits me even more."

Burns spends the winter in Florida with his wife Line and he's having a good time. He even boasts, jokingly, that his golf game is pretty good. He also rides a motorbike.

Still, hockey is his greatest passion.

"Hockey has always been part of my life, to be sure, and I don't want that to change."

Jacques Demers, another ex-coach of the Canadiens, doesn't doubt that teams will be eager to pounce on Burns when he's ready to come back.

Burns is the only coach in NHL history to have won the Jack Adams Trophy as coach of the year with three different teams. He did it with Montreal in 1989, the Maple Leafs in 1993 and the Bruins in 1998.

He also won the Stanley Cup with the Devils in 2003.

In 14 NHL seasons, the 54-year-old Burns has coached 1,109 games, posting a record of 501 wins, 350 losses, 161 ties and 14 overtime losses.
Old 11-19-2006, 01:29 AM   #473
Mtbrncofn
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalBronco View Post
Agreed. Hopefully he continues to struggle with injuries for as long as possible. He probably ruined our season, single handedly. **** him.
Apparently I completely missed whatever Cheechoo did to make Pens fans unhappy? Fill me in.
Old 11-19-2006, 01:31 AM   #474
Mtbrncofn
Ring of Famer

Also just like to give super kudos to Budaj for his fabulous play in the last two. Congrats to Joe for finally scoring in the shootout too.
Old 11-19-2006, 02:56 AM   #475
SoCalBronco
Nixonite

Adopt-a-Bronco:
D.J. Williams

Quote:
Apparently I completely missed whatever Cheechoo did to make Pens fans unhappy? Fill me in.
When we played at San Jose a few weeks ago, he sent our best defensive defenseman, Mark Eaton, into the boards pretty viciously and was immediately tossed from the game. Eaton has been out for a few weeks now, and will be out a minimum of 2 more months, maybe 3 more. It has really hurt us big time, id say it was one of the bigger reasons why we went on that 0-3-2 slide immediately thereafter, before rebounding to take 2 of the last 3 games. Our D has really been hurt by Eaton's loss. He's really the only defenseman on the entire roster who is consistently reliable in his own end. Gonch is and always has been soft and Whitney is the biggest ****ing joke of a human being I have ever seen, a definite BUST, I don't care what he can do on offense, he is horrible in his own end. I like Welch, he has a promising future, but he isn't quite where I'd like him to be yet and Orpik is just a hitter, he isn't very positionally sound. Scuderi and Melichar are AHL types playing in the NHL.

BRING BACK BUTCH

Last edited by SoCalBronco; 11-19-2006 at 03:09 AM..
SoCalBronco is offline   Reply With Quote