The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Other Sports Discussion > MLB
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 10-04-2006, 10:52 PM   #1
-Slap-
Ring of Famer

Default JD Drew

I wish anybody on this message board would have been blessed with JD Drew's God given baseball talent instead of him.

I stopped cheering for the Dodgers over 20 years ago and I have no money riding on this series. I'm simply disgusted by this clown's lack of baseball sense in an important situation in a playoff game.

Anybody else ever seen two guys gunned down at the plate on the same throw before? Eric Byrnes on Baseball Tonight offered up Willie Mays Hayes in Major League, but noted both runners were safe on that play.

This guy is a joke. The constant malingering with injuries and total lack of urgency in his approach are a disgrace to the game of baseball and all competitors everywhere. This bonehead play tonight literally made me sick.
-Slap- is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-04-2006, 10:55 PM   #2
WABronco
WE SUCK AGAIN

All dat force

Yea...what happened there exactly? I saw the replay, but I still don't get it. Did he think he could sneak past Lo Duca or something?
WABronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 11:22 PM   #3
24champ
Livin' the dream!

Keep Calm and Chive on

Adopt-a-Bronco:
DomCasual

I don't wanna talk about it...haha. REALLY don't want to talk about that play or JD Drew for that matter. Im just looking on to Game two.
24champ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2006, 07:19 PM   #4
Clockwork Orange
Persona Non Grata

I seen him!

JD Drew might be the dumbest person on earth.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2655862

You know, because teams are going to be lining up around the block to pay him more than the $11 million per season he was scheduled to make over the next three years.
Clockwork Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2006, 11:37 PM   #5
24champ
Livin' the dream!

Keep Calm and Chive on

Adopt-a-Bronco:
DomCasual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clockwork Orange View Post

You know, because teams are going to be lining up around the block to pay him more than the $11 million per season he was scheduled to make over the next three years.
WHOOOOOOOOOOTTTT!!!!!

SEE YA POS.
Old 11-10-2006, 05:05 PM   #6
24champ
Livin' the dream!

Keep Calm and Chive on

Adopt-a-Bronco:
DomCasual

Quote:

Believe it or not, the market is thin this year and chances are he will make more. While I never liked Scott Boras who is Drew's agent, I don't think he is dumb. Im just glad he is gone and Coletti (Dodgers GM) is pissed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coletti
-"He moved on and we'll move on," he said. "We'll find a player who wants to stay here. Scott broached [the opt-out] and I said if that's what you decide to do ... I'm finished with it.
http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/a...2006&fext=.jsp

-General Manager Ned Colletti said he was "surprised" and "disappointed," because Drew said repeatedly last season that he did not plan to exercise his opt-out clause.

"I know J.D. is a spiritual guy and a man of his word," Colletti said. "I guess he changed his word."

-"This decision had nothing to do with the Dodgers," Boras said. "J.D. is happy with the Dodgers. He enjoyed his time with the Dodgers. He would certainly consider returning to the Dodgers."

Said Colletti: "I'm done. He wants out. He can have out."

Source: www.latimes.com

Old 11-10-2006, 05:43 PM   #7
Clockwork Orange
Persona Non Grata

I seen him!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 24champbailey View Post
Believe it or not, the market is thin this year and chances are he will make more. While I never liked Scott Boras who is Drew's agent, I don't think he is dumb. Im just glad he is gone and Coletti (Dodgers GM) is pissed.
It's a sad state of affairs when a Joe Barely Cares like JD Drew can command, and get, more than $11 million. It's sickening that he can pull in that much to begin with.

If the guy played with half the heart & hustle that someone like David Eckstein does, he'd be a Hall of Famer.
Old 11-10-2006, 06:04 PM   #8
-Slap-
Ring of Famer

I don't think Boras/Satan would have let him go if he wasn't sure he could get him more.

Also, its just advantageous for a guy like Drew to keep moving every couple years. Teammates and fans get sick of his bull**** pretty quickly, but his skill set always buys him a brief honeymoon in a new location.
Old 11-10-2006, 06:06 PM   #9
24champ
Livin' the dream!

Keep Calm and Chive on

Adopt-a-Bronco:
DomCasual

Quote:
It's a sad state of affairs when a Joe Barely Cares like JD Drew can command, and get, more than $11 million. It's sickening that he can pull in that much to begin with.

If the guy played with half the heart & hustle that someone like David Eckstein does, he'd be a Hall of Famer.
Its always been about the money with this guy, when Drew got drafted second overall he wanted 10 million guaranteed or he won't play. He frickin sat out a whole year and re-entered the draft the following year and signed with the Cardinals for a deal that was 7 million guaranteed. This guy is all about the money, I watched alot of Dodger games this year than most and he doesn't give a **** if he strikes out, and then says he loves LA and that he is staying then two months later and reneges on his word. **** the POS.
Old 11-10-2006, 06:09 PM   #10
24champ
Livin' the dream!

Keep Calm and Chive on

Adopt-a-Bronco:
DomCasual

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Slap- View Post
I don't think Boras/Satan would have let him go if he wasn't sure he could get him more.

Also, its just advantageous for a guy like Drew to keep moving every couple years. Teammates and fans get sick of his bull**** pretty quickly, but his skill set always buys him a brief honeymoon in a new location.
I think he is going to San Diego, there is somebody there dumb enough to give him a fat contract. This idiot used to work for the Dodgers...(hint: he inked Drew to a 5 year 55 million dollar contract.) Though he is an assistant GM there, Im sure he will lobby for Drew.
Old 11-10-2006, 06:18 PM   #11
-Slap-
Ring of Famer

Quote:
I think he is going to San Diego, there is somebody there dumb enough to give him a fat contract. This idiot used to work for the Dodgers...(hint: he inked Drew to a 5 year 55 million dollar contract.) Though he is an assistant GM there, Im sure he will lobby for Drew.
I dunno. I think the Pads are going hard after Aramis Ramirez.
Old 11-10-2006, 06:41 PM   #12
24champ
Livin' the dream!

Keep Calm and Chive on

Adopt-a-Bronco:
DomCasual

Quote:
Yeah but I don't think they can outbid the Angels or the Dodgers.
Old 11-10-2006, 07:57 PM   #13
Pendejo
The off-season.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
"The Greek"

Quote:
As a Madres fan Aramis Ramirez is a pipe dream. I think they're going to hope Kouzmanoff develops. Either that or they'll go with Branyan. I think Ramirez will either stay with the Cubs, or wind up in Los Angeles of Anaheim.

I think the Madres are more likely to land Carlos Lee, or Soriano than Ramirez.

They better not even consider Drew though. The front office f***s with us fans enough as it is.
Pendejo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 08:40 PM   #14
24champ
Livin' the dream!

Keep Calm and Chive on

Adopt-a-Bronco:
DomCasual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pendejo View Post

They better not even consider Drew though. The front office ****s with us fans enough as it is.
Yeah well Depodesta has a hard on for Drew...I think your SOL Pendejo.
Old 11-10-2006, 08:49 PM   #15
WABronco
WE SUCK AGAIN

All dat force

JD, please come to Seattle.

Listen, there's already two or three softies on my team. Trade one of them (Sexson) and replace him with a superior softy, I'm good.

As long as he can put up a nice OBP, draw walks, and play some decent corner OF he'd be a solid fit in the 3-hole, in Seattle.

Now, if he really wants more than 11 mil/year or if he hates the westcoast or whatever...then, I guess no.
Old 11-10-2006, 09:01 PM   #16
WABronco
WE SUCK AGAIN

All dat force

Default Hahaha, you seen this yet 24?

Quote:
November 9, 2006

A blue blessing: Drew departs!

Only Scott Boras would have the balls to sit down with a brittle guy who's set to make $33 million over the next three years, look him in the eye, and tell him that he's underpaid. And only J.D. Drewógreedy from the start after refusing to sign with the Phillies out of college for anything less than $10 millionówould be stupid enough to listen to him. Drew opted out of the remaining three years of his contract on Thursday, becoming a free agent to the surprise of many... and to the joy of many more. Ned Colletti can moan about how the Dodgers have to go out and get two big bats now, but Drew's move should be considered an early Christmas presentóbetter than a new bike, a digital camera, or a trip around the goddamn world. Sure, he knocked in 100 runs last season, but what are the odds that he'll ever play in 146 games again? He's a good hitter, but how long before his ovaries hurt again? From practically the moment Paul DePodesta signed Nancy to that $55 million contract, everyone knew it was a colossal mistake. And now, poof, there's $33 million back in Frank McCourt's pockets to spend on mini-skirts for his wife. It's truly incredible. It's a disgusting decision on Drew's part, but it's beautiful. Like the hills of Tuscany. Or free-flowing traffic on the Santa Monica Freeway.

"I told Colletti there was a strong demand in the marketplace for guys with J.D.'s skills," said Scott Boras. Really, Scott? A high demand for guys who hit 20 home runs, play with fear of injury in the outfield, and have to be handled like a rare crystal vase by their manager? There was never a lot of love for J.D. Drew in the baseball world, and his decision to give up $33 million out of sheer greed isn't going to gain him any fans. It's one thing if he absolutely hated living in L.A., but from all indications, he didn't. Boras made it clear: "It was a business decision." Ok, but don't come crawling back to the Dodgers when you're only offered a 2-year, $12 million contract by the Kansas City Royals. (God, we can only hope.)

"I know J.D. is a spiritual guy and a man of his word," said Ned Colletti. "I guess he changed his word." That's Colletti's nice way of saying that Drew is going to hell. Which begs the question: Is there a disabled list in hell?

Dodgerblues.com
Funny stuff. I'd be glad to if I was a Dodger fan too...you get out from under that contract and open up a spot for Matt Kemp. Not bad...
Old 11-10-2006, 09:37 PM   #17
-Slap-
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pendejo View Post
As a Madres fan Aramis Ramirez is a pipe dream. I think they're going to hope Kouzmanoff develops. Either that or they'll go with Branyan. I think Ramirez will either stay with the Cubs, or wind up in Los Angeles of Anaheim.

I think the Madres are more likely to land Carlos Lee, or Soriano than Ramirez.

They better not even consider Drew though. The front office ****s with us fans enough as it is.
I think Carlos Lee needs to go back to the AL. He's a guy who should be getting some DH time in the near future.

Wouldn't Soriano would be more expensive than Ramirez?
Old 11-10-2006, 10:14 PM   #18
24champ
Livin' the dream!

Keep Calm and Chive on

Adopt-a-Bronco:
DomCasual

Quote:
Originally Posted by WABronco View Post
Funny stuff. I'd be glad to if I was a Dodger fan too...you get out from under that contract and open up a spot for Matt Kemp. Not bad...
I was reading the LA Times online and I would provide the link but you have to register. Anyway basically Coletti said that Kemp is going to stay in triple A for another year. Needs to work on his swing.

Quote:
Outfielder Matt Kemp, another rookie, hit seven home runs in his first 15 games and none thereafter.

"I think he still needs some more time in triple A," Colletti said.
I think this hints at a Soriano signing.
Old 11-11-2006, 01:22 AM   #19
Clockwork Orange
Persona Non Grata

I seen him!

Here's to hoping Drew's gamble pays off as well as Juan Gonzalez's did.
Old 11-11-2006, 09:32 PM   #20
Pendejo
The off-season.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
"The Greek"

Quote:
I think Carlos Lee needs to go back to the AL. He's a guy who should be getting some DH time in the near future.

Wouldn't Soriano would be more expensive than Ramirez?
I personally would prefer the Madres sign Soriano, let him play second, and re-sign Doc Roberts to play left field. I agree with your assessment of Lee.

As far as Soriano costing more than Ramirez...it's likely, but you never can tell when a bidding war will break out. One thing that may help the Madres is that they'll let Soriano play second base. According to a local television station the Madres are going to make a strong push for him. We'll see on that score.

Bronco LB 52 and I are in agreement that Ramirez would be a great fit in S.D...I just don't think it's likely due to their trading for Kouzmanoff (who apparently they're going to give every chance to win the starting job), having Branyan on the roster for a cool million, and the fact that they put in a bid on Akinori Iwamura who can also play third base.

In depressing news I just read that the Madres are exploring signing J.D. Drew. Hopefully the fact that he has Boras for an agent will dissuade them from getting serious. The Madres in the past have jettisoned Boras clients, and refuse to draft his players. (Drafted Matt "China Doll" Bush over Weaver.)
Pendejo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 02:13 AM   #21
Calif. Bronco
Finally got the tickets!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Keary Colbert

Quote:
Fact 1: JD Drew had 83 walks last year. Fact 2: His on-base percentage was more than 100 points higher than his batting average. Fact 3: DePodesta values on-base percentage more than any other offensive stat (it's why he gave Drew the big contract, went after Hee-Sop Choi, etc.) Fact 4: DePodesta works for the Padres Fact 5: If the Padres sign JD Drew to a long, fat contract, both DePodesta and his boss will be looking for work within two years.

I'm a [I]huge[I] Dodger fan (season ticket holder) and I can say in all honesty that JD Drew is a decent outfielder. I said all year long that if he were making 4 or 5 million per year he'd be fine. But at $11 million (or more next year) he's a joke and the GM who signs him will be stuck with a fat, untradeable contract that could destroy his franchise for several years.
Calif. Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 02:19 AM   #22
24champ
Livin' the dream!

Keep Calm and Chive on

Adopt-a-Bronco:
DomCasual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calif. Bronco View Post
Fact 1: JD Drew had 83 walks last year. Fact 2: His on-base percentage was more than 100 points higher than his batting average. Fact 3: DePodesta values on-base percentage more than any other offensive stat (it's why he gave Drew the big contract, went after Hee-Sop Choi, etc.) Fact 4: DePodesta works for the Padres Fact 5: If the Padres sign JD Drew to a long, fat contract, both DePodesta and his boss will be looking for work within two years.

I'm a [I]huge[I] Dodger fan (season ticket holder) and I can say in all honesty that JD Drew is a decent outfielder. I said all year long that if he were making 4 or 5 million per year he'd be fine. But at $11 million (or more next year) he's a joke and the GM who signs him will be stuck with a fat, untradeable contract that could destroy his franchise for several years.
Welcome to the board Calif. Bronco.
Old 11-14-2006, 09:50 AM   #23
Calif. Bronco
Finally got the tickets!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Keary Colbert

Quote:
Welcome to the board Calif. Bronco.
Thanks - it took me awhile to find this place (and even longer to get off my lazy butt and register) but I like what I see so far!
Calif. Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 10:58 AM   #24
OrangeShadow
armed

and dangerous

Im hoping the sox land drew his plate discipline is exactly what this team needs
OrangeShadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2006, 10:13 PM   #25
Jens1893
Ring of Famer

JD Drew is going to Boston ... 5y, $70m
Jens1893 is offline   Reply With Quote