The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Other Sports Discussion > NBA & NCAA
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 11-02-2006, 01:17 PM   #1
RhymesayersDU
Go Broncos, Nuggets, Rox

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ty Lawson
Default Nnnnnuuuuuggggggeeeetttttttttssss!

Goooooo Season Opener!

Color me excited. It's going to be a tough game, but it should be fun. And all in the glory that is TNTHD.
RhymesayersDU is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-02-2006, 01:48 PM   #2
Master___Pain
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Rock Hoover

Quote:
Originally Posted by RhymesayersDU View Post
Goooooo Season Opener!

Color me excited. It's going to be a tough game, but it should be fun. And all in the glory that is TNTHD.
I can't wait for tonights game!!! Nuggets are back!

Thursday, November 02, 2006

Looking to Rebound (from a disastrous finish to last season) and Run (up and down the court)

Last season the Nuggets had about everything go wrong that could between injuries, internal strife and inconsistent play on the court. Despite these distractions, the Nuggets still managed to win the Northwest division and Carmelo Anthony was able to take his game to another level.

More
Master___Pain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2006, 02:33 PM   #3
RhymesayersDU
Go Broncos, Nuggets, Rox

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ty Lawson

Whoa, and I totally didn't know the Spurs and Mavs were playing tonight too. Some sweet early season BBall to be seen tonight.

For angryllama's sake, I hope Tony Parker jerseys are selling well in France, or the fix might be in.
Old 11-02-2006, 09:21 PM   #4
Man-Goblin
One Gap Penetrator

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward

1st half impressions knee jerk imressions!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1. They still can't shoot. JR Smith actually made a few, but it's a pipe dream to think that we'll get 40% from behind the arc from him.

2. That being said, Smith seems to have a nice little chemistry with Carmelo.

3. Good god Boykins is a major liability for this team. He drives me nuts and I don't think it's a coincidence that the Nuggets played poorly with him in the game.

4. Martin looks like he has a spring in his step that he didn't have last year, and Nene looks pretty good considering his knee was shredded 367 days ago. Good news, but I would still like to see them move one of them for someone that can shoot the freaking ball.

5. Does Karl plan on playing all twelve guys every night?? Damn near everyone got in the game; I assume he is anticipating the back to back tomorrow night, and still doesn't have his rotation worked out. Hopefully they can narrow it down. But I do like the depth!

Nuff said. Go Nuggs.
Man-Goblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2006, 09:31 PM   #5
Man-Goblin
One Gap Penetrator

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward

Carmelo just got tossed. Stupid silly act by Carmelo. He needs to know better than that. Nuff said.
Old 11-02-2006, 10:37 PM   #6
WABronco
WE SUCK AGAIN

All dat force

Ahahahahaha!
WABronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2006, 10:40 PM   #7
RhymesayersDU
Go Broncos, Nuggets, Rox

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ty Lawson

Game thoughts:

1) JR Smith is this year's Kenyon Martin. Not from an attitude standpoint, but I can already forsee that love/hate relationship. One game good, one game bad, etc. Took some stupid shots tonight, but then made huge shots, the steal late, etc.

2) Nice rebounding.

3) He wasn't the first and won't be the last -- Melo getting tossed. That will happen more often than not this year. Not by Melo alone, but by a lot of people as they adjust to the refs. I mean, we've seen Melo get pissed and take off that headband before. Never has it been a problem. I'm not saying the rule is bad, in fact it's great for the game. But yeah. I thought JR was going to get tossed in the third.

4) Nene could actually be good. The Nuggets may not have screwed that one up.

5) Heartbreaker of an ending! Thought they were going to pull it off without Melo.

6) Liked what I saw from Diawara. Minus the lack of offense, that is.

7) The offense will be interesting to follow. Obviously there is the shooting woes, but also the offense only really works when the other team misses. We need rebounds to pass out and get running. In the 2nd, Cassell got hot, was hitting everything, and we couldn't run because we had to inbound the ball, etc. So we'll need to see improved defense to really spark the offense.

I guess that's it for now. I'll think of more. Can't wait for the game tomorrow. At least we know Melo will be well rested.
Old 11-02-2006, 11:09 PM   #8
troya900
Ring of Famer

Lame man refs enforcing the new rule at their own discretion. Cassell was whining to the ref forever after that turnover late in the game and doesn't get a technical.
troya900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2006, 11:15 PM   #9
WABronco
WE SUCK AGAIN

All dat force

Quote:
Originally Posted by troya900 View Post
Lame man refs enforcing the new rule at their own discretion. Cassell was whining to the ref forever after that turnover late in the game and doesn't get a technical.
Yea that's a bull**** rule. It leaves too much up to ref interpretation, and what not.

We all know that crazy-ass Violet Palmer will T-up anyone who even looks at her...
WABronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2006, 12:25 AM   #10
Clockwork Orange
Persona Non Grata

I seen him!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WABronco View Post
We all know that crazy-ass Violet Palmer will T-up anyone who even looks at her...
At some point a team is going to forfeit a game this season that Joey Crawford officiates. He's going to eject an entire team, write it down.
Clockwork Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2006, 05:40 AM   #11
-Slap-
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by WABronco View Post
Yea that's a bull**** rule. It leaves too much up to ref interpretation, and what not.

Its a great rule and long overdue. They should have enacted it back in the 80s because that's when this whining bull**** started and its run unchecked since then.

I think they should expand the rule. Reach a certain number of technicals on the season and you're suspended for a few games.
-Slap- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2006, 06:09 AM   #12
Man-Goblin
One Gap Penetrator

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward

Quote:
Originally Posted by troya900 View Post
I love the rule and wasn't pissed at all when Melo got tossed; he definitely deserved it.

But It REALLY pissed me off when Cassell was jawing at that ref after he himself made a stupid careless play with obviously no foul; and I usually don't get pissed at refs calls. By interpretation of the rule, he should have been T-ed up regardless of the time left in the game. He obviously had some sort of raport with the ref that I guess made it okay.

If they're going to do this thing they have to call it both ways, not just against the road team like so many other calls by NBA officials.
Old 11-03-2006, 06:16 AM   #13
RhymesayersDU
Go Broncos, Nuggets, Rox

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ty Lawson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clockwork Orange View Post
At some point a team is going to forfeit a game this season that Joey Crawford officiates. He's going to eject an entire team, write it down.
Totally beat me to it. Joey Crawford will in fact go nuts.

But it is a great rule. It's like when these guys sign their rookie contract and get $20 mil from Nike, they never commit fouls. I know that might sound odd from a guy like me who loves the players, buys the sneakers and jerseys and everything, but this will be great for the game. You committed a foul, get ready for the next play, move on.
Old 11-03-2006, 06:41 AM   #14
Man-Goblin
One Gap Penetrator

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward

Quote:
Originally Posted by RhymesayersDU View Post
Totally beat me to it. Joey Crawford will in fact go nuts.

But it is a great rule. It's like when these guys sign their rookie contract and get $20 mil from Nike, they never commit fouls. I know that might sound odd from a guy like me who loves the players, buys the sneakers and jerseys and everything, but this will be great for the game. You committed a foul, get ready for the next play, move on.
Had they put this in 20 years ago, I probably wouldn't hate Stockton and Malone near as much. **** Jeff Hornecek, though.
Old 11-03-2006, 07:39 AM   #15
Rascal
RIP

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Turf

Hopefully JR can improve his shot selection when Melo is in there full time, and he can hit around 40% behind the arch. If he can do that our team improves dramatically. Nene actually played a good game and Martin looked decent enough.

Andre freaking miller sucks. 0-11. Just awful.

That was a stupid move by Melo. You can't do that sort of crap anymore.
Rascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2006, 08:22 AM   #16
Nuggets4
Requisite Nugs Die-Hard

Buffaloes, Buffaloes, Go C-U!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Allen Iverson

My post from another board on the game:

I hope Steve Javie burns in hell for eternity.

First off, let me claim that Melo under the new rules deserved to be kicked out. Not sure what he did for the first technical, but he got two, so he's gone. One thing that needs to be pointed out is that Melo's ritual is to throw his headband like that when he's leaving the court. He obviously needs to stop that, but whatever, it's done. All of that said, HOW THE @#%$ DID SAM CASSELL NOT GET T'D UP FOR b****ING TO THE REFS FOR OVER 20 SECONDS AT THE END OF THE GAME?!? Good lord! If any of the Nugs would have done that, Javie would have had them executed. Why was there not a foul on Tim Thomas when he "set a pick" on Andre Miller that knocked Dre a good 5 feet back? I realize there are going to be games that go the Nugs way with officiating, but these new reffing rules are going to take some getting used to. A little consistency would be nice.

I'm not sure how JR Smith is solving our SG problems AZ. He had a decent statline, but he couldn't make the three. Then again, NO ONE could. 4-for-23? Ugh. Not pretty. JR could come around, and is a phenominal talent, but we need him to make the three ball. I wouldn't be surprised to see Diawara starting by January. I think his offensive game is going to come around, and it's obvious Karl likes his D & toughness.

Camby carried the team. He's one of the more underrated players in the league. I believe he finished with 14 points, 18 rebounds, 4 assists, 4 blocks and a steal. Unbelievable. Nene's toughness down low was really missed last year, and having him back helps. Even K-Mart looked solid (although he needs to stop shooting the long jumper).

I thought we'd go 1-1 in our first two games, but this isn't how I thought we'd do it. LA played a tough game two nights ago, we should have run them out of the gym. Now we have to see how the Nugs handle back-to-back's.
Nuggets4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2006, 09:19 AM   #17
Rascal
RIP

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Turf

JR was the only person who made a three (4-11). I'd say he was the only one who could make the three.

WTF don't we go and sign one of those dang foreigners who do nothing but sit there and shoot three's and play defense. Put them in this lineup and they are golden for at least 5 3-pointers a game.
Old 11-03-2006, 09:39 AM   #18
RhymesayersDU
Go Broncos, Nuggets, Rox

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ty Lawson

We ain't losing to the Pups in our house.

So yeah, 1-1.
Old 11-03-2006, 10:50 AM   #19
Clockwork Orange
Persona Non Grata

I seen him!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuggets4 View Post
My post from another board on the game:

I hope Steve Javie burns in hell for eternity.

First off, let me claim that Melo under the new rules deserved to be kicked out. Not sure what he did for the first technical, but he got two, so he's gone. One thing that needs to be pointed out is that Melo's ritual is to throw his headband like that when he's leaving the court. He obviously needs to stop that, but whatever, it's done. All of that said, HOW THE @#%$ DID SAM CASSELL NOT GET T'D UP FOR b****ING TO THE REFS FOR OVER 20 SECONDS AT THE END OF THE GAME?!? Good lord! If any of the Nugs would have done that, Javie would have had them executed. Why was there not a foul on Tim Thomas when he "set a pick" on Andre Miller that knocked Dre a good 5 feet back? I realize there are going to be games that go the Nugs way with officiating, but these new reffing rules are going to take some getting used to. A little consistency would be nice.
That's exactly the problem I have with it. I like the crackdown on this stuff, what I don't like is that it's subjective and being left in up to the most inconsistant referees in all of professional sports. Carmelo got ejected, that's fine, the rules are the rules. But I'm still wondering why Sam Cassell gets to have a tantrum, complete with arm waving and foot stomping, right in the referee's face and he doesn't so much as get a technical for it.

I'm waiting for a game in which the unholy trinity (Crawford, Palmer, Javie) are all together. It'll be like Billy Crystal from Forget Paris. They'll throw everyone out including the guy who puts the cheese on the nachos.
Old 11-03-2006, 11:29 AM   #20
Master___Pain
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Rock Hoover
Default Magette to Denver?

I was listening to espn radio and they said that there is a trade in the works between the Nuggs and the Clippers involving Magette...then the radio crapped out and I did not here the rest.

Anyone else hear this?
Old 11-03-2006, 11:39 AM   #21
Rascal
RIP

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Turf

There's been rumors of us sending JR and something else to the clippers for him.
Old 11-03-2006, 11:43 AM   #22
Master___Pain
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Rock Hoover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rascal View Post
There's been rumors of us sending JR and something else to the clippers for him.
I guess it's a matter of matching contracts....JR's is not even close to Magette's. At this point I really would be against trading a big unless it's Reggie Evans. I'd do Evans and JR for Maggete trade in a heart beat.
Old 11-03-2006, 12:03 PM   #23
Clockwork Orange
Persona Non Grata

I seen him!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master___Pain View Post
I was listening to espn radio and they said that there is a trade in the works between the Nuggs and the Clippers involving Magette...then the radio crapped out and I did not here the rest.

Anyone else hear this?
The Nuggets were close to acquiring Maggette in the offseason. It wouldn't surprise me if they were still pursuing him.
Old 11-03-2006, 01:16 PM   #24
Man-Goblin
One Gap Penetrator

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward

Magette would do absolutely nothing to solve the Nuggets' problems. Personally, I think Mobley would be a better fit for the Nuggs.
Old 11-03-2006, 04:05 PM   #25
Nuggets4
Requisite Nugs Die-Hard

Buffaloes, Buffaloes, Go C-U!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Allen Iverson

Rumor is JR Smith and Joe Smith for Maggette. Once again, my post from another board (I'm lazy dammit):

I am not a big fan of trading Joe Smith. I'd rather deal Eddie or Ball Grabber. Joe is a lot like Camby in that he can ht the 18 foot jumper. When Marcus gets hurt, and he will, it.d be nice to still have a big man that can shoot.

Other than that, I actually like the deal. Mags is a tough player and after last night I have a gut feeling that Diawara is going to start getting more and more PT. He seems like more of a Karl player than JR.
Nuggets4 is offline   Reply With Quote