The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Other Sports Discussion > NHL
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 10-25-2006, 10:13 AM   #326
alkemical
Guerrilla Ontologist

rorrim|mirror

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Prima Materia

Beware the Pens!

I wasn't sure, and it's a long season. But i think they make the playoffs.
alkemical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006, 06:45 PM   #327
Bronx33
lets go partner

Rumpson Rocks

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Woodyard
Default Oilers lose Ethan Moreau

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=181864&hubname=nhl

The Edmonton Oilers will do without one of their heart-and-soul players for a few months but expect veteran Ethan Moreau will be back in time for the playoffs.

The valuable checking forward needs surgery to repair a dislocated right shoulder suffered in Saturday's 3-1 win over Detroit.

''We'll probably have to lose him for an extended period of time to rectify the problem so that he's good for the long-term, ready down the stretch and in the playoffs,'' Oilers GM Kevin Lowe told The Canadian Press on Wednesday.

Lowe said Moreau would undergo surgery within the next couple of weeks once the swelling goes down. Moreau also had surgery on his left shoulder a few years back.

But Lowe doesn't think Moreau will be lost for the entire season.

''We've got the best therapists around here,'' Lowe said from Edmonton. ''We've got an incredible history of successful rehabs. I'm not a doctor, but my guess is anywhere between three and four months. Sure that's the better part of the regular season, but it's one of those things that had he injured it later in the season he'd probably tried to get by with a brace or something.''

Moreau could have opted for rehab instead and come back sooner but would have also risked the shoulder popping out again.

''Since it's early enough, we figured let's get it done now so he can be ready for down the stretch and the playoffs,'' said Lowe.

The 31-year-old Moreau dislocated the shoulder when he threw a punch at Red Wings defenceman Danny Markov late in Saturday's game, retaliation for a huge open-ice hit on Oilers centre Jarret Stoll earlier in the game. Lowe isn't frustrated by how Moreau got hurt.

''That's hockey,'' Lowe said. ''I'm sure if he had to do it all over again he would do it the same way. That's why he's so desirable as a player because he does things like that.''<

If the Oilers are going to suffer an injury, forward is where they can take a hit. Edmonton has been carrying 14 forwards this season and has plenty of depth to deal with an injury. Winger Raffi Torres got bumped up from the fourth line to take Moreau's spot on the third line for Wednesday night's game at Anaheim.

''We should be fine,'' said Lowe. ''There will definitely be nights where we'll miss Ethan and what he brings but we'll get him healthy and 100 per cent.''
Bronx33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006, 06:54 PM   #328
Bronx33
lets go partner

Rumpson Rocks

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Woodyard

One guy a hated losing was drury but i found this Q and A on kuklas corner and thought you might enjoy it.....

Q. Last year when Buffalo got so close and then there was all that talk about signing players, that they might not be able to keep the cast intact; obviously they did. I mean, was that a large consideration considering you lost Jay McKee and Mike Grier, who were two very large pieces of the puzzle.
CHRIS DRURY: Yeah, you know, going into an off season with so many guys having to sign, I don’t think anyone knew as far as the players who was going to be here and who wasn’t.
But obviously they kept a lot of guys and signed a lot of contracts this summer, and it’s certainly working out.
Q. Are the Sabres just made for, you know, the way the game is played right now? I mean, obviously fast skating team, lots of offense, and you keep the puck moving up the ice.
CHRIS DRURY: I like to think we would do well with the old rules, too. I think first and foremost we have got good goaltending. No matter what the rules are, I think you can have a chance to win every night with the two goalies we have.
As far as the new rules, we have guys that can skate, they can certainly all move the puck, and that’s where it all gets started, I think.

DAVID KEON: Good afternoon, everyone. I’m David Keon with the National Hockey League’s Public Relations Department, and I’d like to welcome everyone to today’s call.
With us we have Buffalo Sabres forward, Chris Drury. Thanks to Chris for taking the time today to answer your questions, and thanks to Mike Gilbert and Chris Bandera of the Sabres’ public relations department for arranging the call.
His 8th NHL season, third with Buffalo, Chris is tied for the league lead in goals with Atlanta’s Marian Hossa, each with ten.
He has added four assists in his nine games played, giving him 14 points and a tie for second in overall league scoring with teammate Maxim Afinogenov.
With Monday’s 4 1 win over Montreal, the Sabres set franchise record of nine wins from the start of the season, breaking the team mark set in 1975/’76.
A win in New York against the Islanders tomorrow night will tie the National Hockey League record for most consecutive wins from the start of the season set by the Toronto Maple Leafs in 1993/’94.
Going back to last season, the Sabres have won 14 consecutive regular season games. Again, we thank Chris for taking time to answer your questions today.
Q. Last year when Buffalo got so close and then there was all that talk about signing players, that they might not be able to keep the cast intact; obviously they did. I mean, was that a large consideration considering you lost Jay McKee and Mike Grier, who were two very large pieces of the puzzle.
CHRIS DRURY: Yeah, you know, going into an off season with so many guys having to sign, I don’t think anyone knew as far as the players who was going to be here and who wasn’t.
But obviously they kept a lot of guys and signed a lot of contracts this summer, and it’s certainly working out.
Q. Are the Sabres just made for, you know, the way the game is played right now? I mean, obviously fast skating team, lots of offense, and you keep the puck moving up the ice.
CHRIS DRURY: I like to think we would do well with the old rules, too. I think first and foremost we have got good goaltending. No matter what the rules are, I think you can have a chance to win every night with the two goalies we have.
As far as the new rules, we have guys that can skate, they can certainly all move the puck, and that’s where it all gets started, I think.
Q. How neat would it be to set this record? I mean, I know the guys that from ‘93 Leafs team consider it once their careers were over, looked back and thought it was a pretty special accomplishment.
CHRIS DRURY: Yeah I think it would be pretty neat in the midst of an 82 game season, it’s not something we were or are thinking about. Half the guys in the locker room don’t even know about it, which is a good thing.
But definitely if we do accomplish it, it would be nice to be a part of it.
Q. The suggestion’s been made I mean, this is a record that maybe should have an asterisk because you guys have won some games in a shootout which they didn’t have back then. The NHL says there as no asterisk. If it happens, it happens.
CHRIS DRURY: Yeah. I didn’t think about that point. You know, but the way to get two points and the rules the way they are, it’s nothing that either team can control. So I guess ultimately it’s the league’s decision.
Q. I guess the last thing is, were you aware that the night that the night they got their 10th was the night Joe Carter hit his World Series home run?
CHRIS DRURY: Yeah. I have never seen the home run, but no I didn’t know that was the same night.
Q. Coach was saying today he’s really been relegated into a role of being a nitpicker in this streak. And as poorly as you played in certain stretches, you guys still find ways to win. Is it difficult in a 9 0 run to find fault with this team?
CHRIS D RURY: No. There’s always stuff to work on and improve on. You know, we’ve come from behind a few games and had a lot of floppy periods here and there. As was already mentioned, there were some shootouts. Ryan Miller made 40 some saves against Detroit. What happens at the end of the night, whether you’re on a winning streak or not, there’s always things to work on, and we’re well aware of that.
Q. Can you not though be happy or pleased with such an accomplishment right now?
CHRIS DRURY: Well, you know, our mindset is not to be satisfied with the previous game, I guess. The old saying, “You’re only as good as your last game.” Our motto is, “You’re only as good as your next game.”
Seems like when the buzzer blows guys are already thinking about the next one , who we’re playing, and how they do, and what are their tendencies.
You know, there’s some satisfaction, I think, maybe until about midnight of that night, and then that game and that day is over with and you got to get ready for the next one.
Q. Are the Sabres as tough to beat or tough to beat because they can spread the offense around? I mean, a lot of teams are trying to find a first line or whatever. Seems like it doesn’t really matter what game it is, you’re getting lots of offense from lots of people, which makes it very, very difficult for the other team to handle.
CHRIS DRURY: Yeah, I think being deep is important. I think we showed that last year just having a well balanced attack. Same thing this year. I think also special teams, too. Having two power plays. I don’t know if you want to call one A and one B, but that helps. And also penalty killing. I don’t think there’s any drop off from the first penalty kill to the next. We’re pretty deep in all areas, so that certainly helps.
Q. Considering you got so close last year to get into the Cup final, was it a burning desire, obviously, this most of this cast to say, Okay, we got this close; we’re not going to let to get away?
CHRIS DRURY: Yeah. I don’t think anyone really thought we were that close. Maybe on paper, but the 4th game in the conference finals, and obviously the hardest game to win, and the next four are even harder. We know we still have a lot of work to do, and we’re still very, very hungry.
Q. Hey, I know that you guys aren’t thinking about the streak itself, or you’re trying not to. But to be at least a motivating factor where you can say, Look, you’re nine games up already. Here’s the next goal. In terms of just trying to find each goal every night so you don’t get complacent, is that something you can point toward?
CHRIS DRURY: Yeah. There’s always little battles to be won throughout the season. Going into Montreal was a little it’s a little battle along the way, and Lindy is great at finding little things along the way. He hasn’t mentioned the streak yet. I don’t know if he will. We know there’s two games left in the month, and it would certainly be nice to finish off those two with wins.
Q. Has anybody in the dressing room say, Hey, let’s at least be aware of it? That it’s going on?
CHRIS DRURY: No, nothing formally. Maybe a little side conversations, but nothing as a group.
Q. (Inaudible.) How are you going to handle package of Hossa/Kovalchuk?
CHRIS DRURY: They certainly do have a lot of skill. And the biggest thing I think is their lineup can skate like ours. Certainly not looking past the Islanders at all, but we know how hot Atlanta has been and, you know, getting great goaltending. First things, first, you know. But certainly on Saturday we’re going to have to be sharp.
Q. What do you think is your biggest strength and weakness right now?
CHRIS DRURY: Certainly our depth I think has got to be a strength. Just as I mentioned before, in all scenarios goalie, D, forward, special teams. Weakness, I’m not sure. We’re working a lot on our system. Still working on our forecheck every day and watching video on it. Hopefully we can get that nailed down soon.
Old 10-26-2006, 02:44 PM   #329
Breck Bronc
Roland Deschain

The Gunslinger

Looks like a bunch of Omaners managed to get down to the Pepsi Center last night to catch Ovechkin's lone appearance in Denver until 2010-'11 (nice schedule your league has there, Gary).

I was at the Can last night as well and Ovechkin was certainly worth the price of admission (there were a ton of empty seats last night, such a shame).

My family used to have season tickets in the lower bowl, so I never realized how stupid the Avalanche/Pepsi Center's policy is of not letting people with tickets upstairs to at least watch warm-ups from ice level. I had tickets in the upper level last night and had to sneak past an usher to get down to watch the Caps and Avs have their pre-game skate. I know that the Florida Panthers encourage fans with tickets upstairs to watch warm-ups from ice level.

As far as the game itself, the Avs blew what should have been 2 points. Games like this are going to keep them from making the playoffs. I thought Brisebois, Clark, Skrastins and Vaananen were all awful last night and essentially lost the game for Colorado. The first goal Budaj let in was terrible, but he played decent the rest of the night, stopping one breakaway, a penalty shot and a couple of 2-on-1's. It sucks that Leopold had the setback -- this team needs all the help it can get on the blueline. Ossi should be ashamed that he got schooled by, of all people, Donald Brashear to put the game away.

It's nice to have a center in Paul Stastny that can actually win important faceoffs.

On the opening faceoff I noticed the two number 8's lined up right next to each other. One is the future of the NHL and the other is the future of the Avalanche.

Breck Bronc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006, 03:11 PM   #330
Bronx33
lets go partner

Rumpson Rocks

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Woodyard
Default avs mailbag w/ adrian dater

Brisebois gets bum rap
Patrik from Sweden: What's not to like about No. 71?
By Adrian Dater
Denver Post Staff Writer
Article Last Updated:10/26/2006 10:06:52 AM MDT

Denver Post sports writer Adrian Dater posts his Avs Mailbag each Wednesday during the 2006-07 NHL season on DenverPost.com, which earned distinction for its online-exclusive series of Mailbags at this year's Colorado AP Reporters and Editors Awards.

To drop a question into the Avs Mailbag click here or visit DenverPost.com's Avalanche Page.

Hi, Adrian. I have a question about Patrice Brisebois. Every day I'm reading on the Avs official forum, and there are entire threads about what an "awful" hockey player Brisebois is. He is solid at both ends of the ice and a tremendous passer. Is he that bad, or just an underrated player that deserves some credit?
-- Patrik Nilsson, Malmo, Sweden

Patrik - Brisebois is one of those guys who just gets picked on more than he deserves. It's like me in high school, at Mascoma Valley Regional High in New Hampshire; I'm 6-5, 140 pounds soaking wet back then, senior, 1983. I'm a nice guy, do all the right things in life. I mean, I'm just hoping I don't sprout a new patch of zits the size of Rhode Island on my face, that's all. I don't want to bother anybody. But yet, I got picked on a lot. I solved that by getting up to about 225 my sophomore year of college and deadlifting 600 pounds.

But no matter how well Brisebois plays at times - he's had four assists the last two games as I write this - the guy still gets picked on. He's been a GOOD player for the Avs since he came here from Montreal. Yes, I know he has the occasional turnover. Yes, I know what happened in the last two games of the Western semis last year against Anaheim. But look at the guy play most nights, and he does a nice job.

I think Brisebois needs to do the equivalent of getting up to 225 and squeezing the bones
Colorado signed Patrice Brisebois as a free agent on Aug. 3, 2005. (Post file)
of my former tormentors from high school into sawdust the first time I shook their hands in a Mascoma reunion one year. He needs to stand up and tell the world, "Listen, I had 38 points last year for the Avs. That's twice as many as Adam Foote got most years here. I know I'm not Bobby Orr, but get off my back for crying out loud."

I think a little standing up for himself would get the bullies off his case.

Yo, Adrian! Sorry, couldn't resist. What do you see this season's role being for Jordan Leopold? Any chance of him quarterbacking the power play's first unit?
-- Brian, Ithaca, N.Y.

Brian - Yeah, I think there's a chance Leopold could QB the power play at some point, but I think John Liles has that job pretty well sewn up at this point.

Leopold suffered a setback in his rehab from hernia surgery. He hasn't skated much lately. But he should be back by early November, according to people I trust with the Avs.

Leopold is a good two-way player, and I think he's going to be a welcome addition to the Avs when he comes back.

Yo, Adrian. Love the Avs Mailbag! With the cap room the Avs will have next offseason, do you think there is any chance of bringing in some guys from the past like Peter Forsberg or Chris Drury?
-- John, Stillwater, Okla.

John - Assuming you haven't had too much to drink when you asked about Drury, the answer is no. He's leading the NHL in goal scoring right now, and he's just a tremendous team leader. He's getting to be as big in Buffalo now as Jim Kelly ever was.

Trading Drury away remains probably the single biggest mistake former Avs general manager Pierre Lacroix ever made. Look, Lacroix has made some of the greatest trades in NHL history - Ray Bourque, Patrick Roy, Claude Lemieux - and that won him a couple of Stanley Cups. That in itself is something that will forever rank high in Lacroix's professional resume, and something Avalanche fans should be forever grateful for. But the Drury trade was a fiasco. Let's not mince words here. Lacroix thought he was getting a potential Norris Trophy winner at the time in Derek Morris. But, while Morris wasn't a horrible player at all, he just didn't have the moxie to be a great NHLer.

Drury has that moxie. It's why he's almost ALWAYS on a winning team. Isn't it funny how Buffalo has totally turned its fortunes around since getting Drury?

As for Forsberg, nothing would surprise me with him. He's probably the most unpredictable player and person I've ever covered since becoming an NHL writer in 1995. I would doubt he'll come back to Colorado, just for a number of logistical reasons, but it wouldn't shock me. I don't think the Philly thing has worked out too well for him. As usual, he's been hurt a lot - the guy gets hurt more than T.J. Hooker from the bad '80s cop show - and from the insiders I hear from, he doesn't like the organization much anymore. But I don't know if he's going to want to play beyond this year.

The guy has had so many injuries and, let's face it, his game is starting to slip a little. I watched a recent game of his with the Flyers, and I can tell you from a previous eight years of watching him night in-night out, he doesn't have quite the same speed as he once did. In the new NHL, he's starting to become more of just another guy on the ice. And yet, he's still Forsberg. He can still bring you out of your seat. But I don't know how much longer that will last.

Adrian: While I was never a huge David Aebischer fan, between him and Peter Budaj we had serviceable goaltending. Knowing that $4.6 million would be gone this year from Rob Blake and Joe Sakic's bonus payouts, do you not think it was foolish and irresponsible for Pierre Lacroix to tie up $5 million in Jose Theodore?
-- Brad Jacobs, Golden

Brad - Aha, the inevitable Theodore question.

As I write, Theodore has, in effect, lost his starting job to Peter Budaj. Joel Quenneville pooh-poohed the subject today at practice, but the fact is it is BIG news around the Avs and the rest of the NHL that Theodore is being benched in favor of Budaj.

Some of the NHL experts I've talked to the last couple of days think it was a big mistake by Quenneville to play Theodore in Montreal. I don't necessarily agree. I think a win in Montreal would have boosted Theodore's confidence level back to 100 percent. Quenneville gambled that would happen - and lost. But Theodore was hung out to dry in that game. I mean, the Avs' defense was awful the last two periods, and the team ran around taking stupid penalties all night.

That said, yes, I saw the goal Theodore allowed to Martin Lapointe against Chicago a couple games before. That was a horrible goal, and it cost the Avs at least a point.

I don't know what's going to happen with Jose. I think he has talent, but my favorite saying in sports is "the numbers are the numbers." And right now, Theodore's numbers aren't very good. You can make up a million excuses as to why that is, but excuses are for losers.

That's my second favorite saying.

Hello, Mr. Dater. Being a Colorado native, I realize no athlete will ever surpass John Elway here. However, I also just realized how good we have had it over the years with Joe Sakic. He is simply one of the greatest players ever. Do you believe that fellow Coloradoans will ever realize it, too, and will Colorado ever become a "hockey state"?
-- Brandon Angel, Florence

Brandon - No question, Joe Sakic is one of the best and classiest athletes that will ever have graced this fine state. I just can't say ONE bad word about Joe Sakic. I've covered the guy for 11 years now, and there hasn't been ONE time I've ever thought bad about him. I like to kid him a lot - and he returns the fire, trust me - but the man will forever go down as one of my most favorite people I ever met.

Sakic is probably the most consistent player I've ever met. On and off the ice. He can have a bad game, and he's the same in the locker room. He can get six points the next night, and he's the same in the locker room. He never whines, never moans, never gloats, never gets rude. He's just a great guy, period. He's one of those people in life who is good in every area. No wonder he's been as successful as he's been.

Since several of the minor pro leagues - and all junior hockey and college - require visors now, when is the NHL going to get smart and mandate them? For the older players, add a grandfather clause like they did with helmets.
-- Julie, Lakewood

Julie - There is a lot of inside talk in the NHL now that visors will be made mandatory soon. It might not happen next year, but I think it'll be done within five years. There just have been too many serious injuries, and the league is getting tired of worrying about some of its best stars possibly sidelined forever with an eye injury that could have been prevented.

What reason do I have to shell out $150 to see the Avs this season?
-- Bryon, Fort Carson

Byron - Two names: Wojtek Wolski and Paul Stastny. These guys are for real, and are going to be BIG stars.
Old 10-26-2006, 03:13 PM   #331
alkemical
Guerrilla Ontologist

rorrim|mirror

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Prima Materia

Well i don't know about YOUR #71, but "my" #71 might win an award this year - oh yeah and get us to the play offs.

It's been along time since i could be cheery for my team.
alkemical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2006, 09:04 AM   #332
Bronx33
lets go partner

Rumpson Rocks

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Woodyard
Default John Stevens debut with a W

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=182020&hubname=nhl

PHILADELPHIA (AP) - John Stevens had to wait a little longer to savour his first NHL win. With perhaps the most tumultuous week in Flyers history behind them, it was certainly worth it.

Peter Forsberg and Simon Gagne each scored in a shootout, lifting Philadelphia to a 3-2 win over the Atlanta Thrashers on Thursday night, making Stevens a winner in his Flyers' coaching debut.

"It's great to get the first win," Stevens said. "The team needed something to build on, something to build confidence in my team. I think it was terrific the way it ended."

After Johan Hedberg had 29 saves in regulation and overtime for the Thrashers, he was pulled for Kari Lehtonen. The Flyers jumped all over the goalie change, with Gagne and Forsberg scoring on the Flyers' first two shots.
Related Info

* Highlights: ATL 2, PHI 3

Vyacheslav Kozlov had the only shootout goal for Atlanta on its first shot. No one else could slip one past steady Antero Niittymaki, who had 28 saves.

"When you make a change like this, this is what should happen when you get a new coach, a new energy to the team," Forsberg said. "We came out the way we should come out."

This was the boost the Flyers desperately needed five days after Stevens was promoted from first-year assistant to coach, hoping to nudge them out of last place.

The Flyers entered with the worst record and fewest points in the NHL, a shaky start that resulted in one of the most drastic shakeups in team history. Longtime general manager Bob Clarke resigned and coach Ken Hitchcock was fired Sunday with the Flyers on their first five-game losing streak since 2002 and off to their worst start in 17 years.

"It was a great experience," Stevens said. "It was something that was much needed."

Forsberg, Gagne and Niittymaki ensured the losing streak wouldn't stretch to six. And while 2-6-1 hardly sounds promising, the win was a strong start to a five-game homestand.

Even the Thrashers could tell this was more than a meaningless early-season game for the Flyers.

"Obviously they were very happy, from what I heard," centre Bobby Holik said. "They weren't too thrilled playing for Hitchcock of late. They were excited that he's out of here, but we were aware of that. But, hey, for us it's just another game."

Still bothered by a sprained left wrist that kept him out of one game, Forsberg delivered when needed in an already-big early-season game. Not only that, he scored on a power play.

The Flyers were a measly 4-for-55 on the power play this season, 0-for-15 the last three games, and squandered their only other opportunity against Atlanta. With Andy Sutton still in the box from a second period holding penalty, Forsberg knocked the puck off Hedberg's pads from close range only 56 seconds into the third for a 2-1 lead.

Forsberg raised his stick in celebration 56 seconds into the third and finally got a rise of a surprisingly smaller crowd than the traditionally packed arena the Flyers are used to.

Holik, though, tied it 2-2 midway through the period with a shot that stunned Niittymaki.

Thrashers coach Bob Hartley said he made the shootout goalie switch because Lehtonen was his stopper.

"The Moose (Hedberg) gave us a great game, but we feel the guy who could make a difference in a shootout was Kari," Hartley said.

Playing at home may have been a spark for the Flyers. The Flyers played six of their first eight games on the road, including a 9-1 loss at Buffalo that convinced chairman Ed Snider he needed to fire Hitchcock after three-plus seasons without a Stanley Cup final appearance.

Though Stevens said he expected some pre-game jitters, he appeared relaxed behind the bench, his hands behind his back, watching many of the same players he coached to a minor-league title two seasons ago.

"Obviously there were butterflies. It's a different league," Stevens said.

The Flyers got an early lift about two minutes into the game when Mike Knuble snagged the loose puck down the right side just past the blue line and made a nice feed to Randy Robitaille who scored for a 1-0 lead.

Atlanta came back about five minutes later when Kovalchuk was left all alone and streaked down centre ice for an easy breakaway goal, tying the score 1-1.

Notes: Kovalchuk has scored a point in six straight games.. The Thrashers finished their second set of back-to-backs this season and play the fourth game of a five-game, eight-day road trip Saturday at Buffalo.. The Flyers completed their organizational coaching shuffling, naming Joe Mullen assistant coach of the AHL Philadelphia Phantoms.. Flyers D Lars Jonsson (ankle) played his first game of the season.
Old 10-27-2006, 11:09 AM   #333
Bronx33
lets go partner

Rumpson Rocks

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Woodyard

Remember tucker beating the snot out eaves the other night well in the rematch last night Chris Neil got in tuckers grill and tucker backed down.

http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/Con...=1044442957278

Tucker decline's Neil's offer

Leaf: It wouldn't make sense to fight
No scraps despite pre-game growling
Oct. 27, 2006. 08:29 AM
PAUL HUNTER
SPORTS REPORTER

OTTAWA—It was a moment that was made for dramatic television and likely defused what could have turned the game between the Maple Leafs and Senators into an ugly fight-fest.

As the two teams got lined up for the opening faceoff, Ottawa super-pest Chris Neil stood shoulder-to-shoulder with Toronto winger Darcy Tucker.

Neil had been baiting Tucker through the media over the last 48 hours, getting on him because the Leaf dropped his gloves and took on Ottawa's Patrick Eaves, a player who hasn't fought since he was a teenager, in Tuesday's game at Toronto.

As they waited for the puck to drop, Neil leaned into Tucker, going almost nose-to-nose with his rival, incessantly yapping. It looked like a drill sergeant getting in the face of a young recruit.

Neil's essential message was, if you have a problem with the Senators, come to me — not a perceived lightweight like Eaves. "I asked him to fight and he didn't oblige me," Neil said later. "After that, I just went out and played hockey. I just let him know he can't be going after a guy like Patty Eaves."

Tucker said he tried not to listen to Neil, but it was tough because the Senator was right in his ear.

"It's his job. I've no problem with it at all. But I'm not going to get into fisticuffs with somebody who is going to clean my clock," Tucker said.

"I've been around long enough to know not to give them any momentum at the start of the game. It doesn't make sense for me to fight a 225-pound guy. I'm going to get walloped and everyone will get a good cheer out of it so it doesn't make sense to do that."

There were no fights at all in a game that was hyped in Ottawa as a potential war on ice. That, however, doesn't mean there wasn't animosity. And the Senators' fans cheered lustily whenever Tucker was at the wrong end of a check as he was involved in run-ins with both Chris Phillips and Anton Volchenkov in the first.

With Tucker trading punches with Eaves on Tuesday and teammate Chad Kilger spearing Ottawa's Christoph Schubert in the crotch, it's likely the trio of Tucker, Kilger and centre Mike Peca arrived in Ottawa as the most hated line in hockey.

At least in these parts.

"Oh, I don't know, I think anyone in blue and white is probably Public Enemy No. 1 around here," Kilger said before the game.

Kilger made all the male on-lookers wince with his pitchforking of Schubert. But he said his indelicate stick work was purely accidental, the result of responding to being tripped up by the defenceman.

"I retaliated but in no way did I intend to spear him," Kilger said. "I was trying to hit with my shoulder and my stick came up. I didn't even realize it was between his legs. It's unfortunate my stick hit him there."

Tucker was baffled by his portrayal here as an enemy of the people. "Everyone thinks I'm one of the toughest guys on the team. I find that quite amazing," he said.

"I'm a buck-seventy-five (175 pounds) soaking wet. (Eaves) is , what, about 200? I didn't think it was that big a deal at the time. I didn't throw a punch until he dropped his gloves."
Old 10-27-2006, 11:26 AM   #334
24champ
Bring back Kubiak!

Keep Calm and Chive on

Adopt-a-Bronco:
DomCasual

Kings Goalie prospect Jonathan Bernier has been named to Team QMJHL in the Canada/Russia tourney. Apparently every year, there's a tournament between the three junior leagues in the Canadian Hockey League (WHL, OHL, QMJHL) and Russia.
24champ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2006, 04:36 PM   #335
24champ
Bring back Kubiak!

Keep Calm and Chive on

Adopt-a-Bronco:
DomCasual

Avalanche ranked number 20 in the HF 2006 Organizational rankings-

Quote:
20. Colorado Avalanche
Strengths: Wojtek Wolski will play his first full year in the NHL this season, and should be a contender for the Calder Trophy as top rookie. Paul Stastny has made the team as a rookie and is contributing as well. Injuries opened the door to allow Brad Richardson into the Avalanche lineup last year. Most of the remaining forwards of note play in the NCAA, which means the Avalanche can wait for them to develop and not use up valuable years of pro experience under the new CBA.
Weaknesses: Top goaltending prospect Peter Budaj has been inconsistent between the pipes for Colorado and there is little behind him. The Avalanche blue line is also woefully thin, with Johnny Boychuk the only prospect who is anywhere close to making the jump to the NHL. The Avalanche will need to upgrade their prospects on defense, especially with an aging blue line in the NHL.
Top Five Prospects: Wojtek Wolski (LW), Ryan Stoa (C), Paul Stastny (C), Chris Stewart (RW), Brad Richardson (C)
Key Graduates: none

http://hockeysfuture.com/article.php...readed&order=0

Last edited by 24champ; 10-27-2006 at 04:38 PM..
Old 10-27-2006, 10:49 PM   #336
Hercules Rockefeller
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
DJ Williams

Ovy goes for 1 and 1 in Vancouver, but hits the post in the shootout and the Caps lose their 4th that way this year.
Hercules Rockefeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2006, 11:49 PM   #337
Jori
US Olympian

Stars hire Neil Smith as a consultant.

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcont...s.3053b01.html
Jori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2006, 02:01 AM   #338
24champ
Bring back Kubiak!

Keep Calm and Chive on

Adopt-a-Bronco:
DomCasual

Determined to prove the naysayer's wrong, Rob Blake still
insists that he is not too old to be effective in today's NHL.

Kings shooting for Jakob Varucek or what? Man that loss to the BJs hurts, Kopitar had a wide open net and messed it up, he won't make that same mistake twice.
Old 10-28-2006, 05:24 PM   #339
Bronx33
lets go partner

Rumpson Rocks

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Woodyard

Seems mr golbez is showing some anomosity towards our beloved avs..

http://jesgolbez.blogspot.com/

Sign in and leave him some feedback.
Old 10-28-2006, 06:08 PM   #340
SoCalBronco
Nixonite

Adopt-a-Bronco:
D.J. Williams

Pretty crazy game so far, we only have 8 shots so far, but 4 goals (2 Crosby and 2 Talbot). Nitty is really letting Philly down, got pulled.

4-1 Pittsburgh 15 mins to go in the 2nd.
Old 10-28-2006, 06:11 PM   #341
SoCalBronco
Nixonite

Adopt-a-Bronco:
D.J. Williams

MAF is really owning right now. He's facing a barrage of shots and stoning the Flyers.
Old 10-28-2006, 06:11 PM   #342
Clockwork Orange
Persona Non Grata

I seen him!

What a poke check by MA Fleury!! Beauty.
Clockwork Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2006, 06:12 PM   #343
Clockwork Orange
Persona Non Grata

I seen him!

5-1 Pens. They're just killing the Flyers.
Old 10-28-2006, 06:13 PM   #344
SoCalBronco
Nixonite

Adopt-a-Bronco:
D.J. Williams

Crosby scores. HIS FIRST EVER HAT TRICK, nice job stealing the puck from Hatcher and getting it past Esche.

HAHAHA, **** that Philadelphia crowd.

Congrats on your first ever hat trick, Sid!

5-1, Pittsburgh.

Last edited by SoCalBronco; 10-28-2006 at 06:16 PM..
SoCalBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2006, 06:26 PM   #345
Clockwork Orange
Persona Non Grata

I seen him!

Malkin with his 5th in 5 games. 6-1 Pens.
Old 10-28-2006, 06:27 PM   #346
SoCalBronco
Nixonite

Adopt-a-Bronco:
D.J. Williams

Sweet play. Evgeni strikes again!
Old 10-28-2006, 06:28 PM   #347
SoCalBronco
Nixonite

Adopt-a-Bronco:
D.J. Williams

Man, im really enjoying this game.
Old 10-28-2006, 06:31 PM   #348
SoCalBronco
Nixonite

Adopt-a-Bronco:
D.J. Williams

Nice skating there, Sid, almost got it to Malkin on the pass.
Old 10-28-2006, 06:37 PM   #349
Clockwork Orange
Persona Non Grata

I seen him!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalBronco View Post
Man, im really enjoying this game.
You should. You're doing to them what they've done to you for a while now. It's gotta feel sweet to flip the script on them.
Old 10-28-2006, 06:37 PM   #350
SoCalBronco
Nixonite

Adopt-a-Bronco:
D.J. Williams

End of the 2nd period

Pittsburgh 6 Philadelphia 1

Crosby with a hat trick, Malkin with 1 G 1 A, Max Talbot with 2 G, 1 of which shorthanded. Fleury is really playing well, as well.