The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Other Sports Discussion > NHL
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 10-22-2006, 10:11 PM   #276
Jori
US Olympian

If Sakic was retiring after this season, adding a guy like Lecavalier would make sense. Certanly can't rule out the possibility of Colorado making a call, but I personally have soured on him as a player.

Then again, it's a Larry Brooks article so you have to question his availability.

Last edited by Jori; 10-22-2006 at 10:15 PM..
Jori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2006, 10:29 PM   #277
Clockwork Orange
Persona Non Grata

I seen him!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jori View Post
If Sakic was retiring after this season, adding a guy like Lecavalier would make sense. Certanly can't rule out the possibility of Colorado making a call, but I personally have soured on him as a player.

Then again, it's a Larry Brooks article so you have to question his availability.
Ahh, missed the Larry Brooks part. He must have been throwing darts and one landed on Lecavalier. That seems to be the SOP of rumor mongoring for NHL writers (Strachan, Garrioch, etc.).

I agree though, if Joey was planning on calling it a career, it'd be nice to have his replacement all lined up. Still, that's $6.875 million against the cap for three years after this season. I like Vinny, but much like Theodore, that's elite player money going to someone who isn't an elite player. Don't get me wrong, Lecavalier contributes at a higher level than Theodore does, but still not enough to justify that salary.
Clockwork Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2006, 11:42 PM   #278
Clockwork Orange
Persona Non Grata

I seen him!

More bad news for the Blackhawks, Handzus could be out for the season with a torn ACL & MCL. Khabibulin will be out at least two weeks.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=181633&hubname=

All of this coming on the heels of Havlat's ankle sprain. That team can't buy a break. Even if they could, "Dollar" Bill Wirtz probably wouldn't want to pay for it.

Last edited by Clockwork Orange; 10-22-2006 at 11:49 PM..
Old 10-23-2006, 01:57 AM   #279
broncocalijohn
Famer of Rings

I said Do It!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Simon Fletcher

the bad news is they lost to The Blues!
broncocalijohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006, 02:03 AM   #280
broncocalijohn
Famer of Rings

I said Do It!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Simon Fletcher

Ok champ, hope you enjoyed the game today. Buffalo and Ducks are the only team w/o a regualtion loss. We actually won in overtime! Nothing like taking down your rivals. If the Avs need a goalie, what can you give up for our backup Ilya? He would be starting in many organizations.
broncocalijohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006, 05:59 AM   #281
chadta
Atomic Meatball Keeper

Adopt-a-Bronco:
The Mc Rib

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clockwork Orange View Post
No chance in hell. No one's taking on his contract. The Avs are stuck with him until the 2008-09 season.

Lord knows they'll probably give him a contract extension before then and tell everyone what a great guy he is.

****ing nauseating. I never wanted this loser here in the first place.

Call the flyers, you take on our pylons hatcher, and rathje, and take the human seive robert esche off our hands give us theadore and your second and third rounds next year, consider it a done deal.
chadta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006, 06:30 PM   #282
Jens1893
Ring of Famer

Avs up 3-1 midway thru the 2nd ... 3 PP goals by Svatos, Liles and Hejduk, Stastny with another assist ... keep it up.

Make that 4-1 ... Stastny with the 2nd goal of his NHL career.
Jens1893 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006, 07:08 PM   #283
Clockwork Orange
Persona Non Grata

I seen him!

Milan Hejduk gave his "magical 'ands" a rest and scored one off his face.
Old 10-23-2006, 08:34 PM   #284
24champ
Livin' the dream!

Keep Calm and Chive on

Adopt-a-Bronco:
DomCasual

Kings played fine for a while and then they just played stupid by commiting stupid ****ing penalties that put us in the hole for good. I liked what I saw from Kopitar but damn none of his linemates know what to do when Kopitar puts them in position to score. Sam Gagner come on down and collect your prized Kings jersey on June 23rd in Columbus, OH.
24champ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006, 09:20 PM   #285
Mtbrncofn
Ring of Famer

Great game, eh champ?

I hope Jose was paying attention.
Mtbrncofn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006, 09:24 PM   #286
Breck Bronc
Roland Deschain

The Gunslinger

I'm glad we still have Peter Budaj. I think in today's NHL a goaltender has to be able to shake off any goals they give up and move on. This isn't the Dead Puck-era anymore and goalies are going to have really bad nights on occasion.

I think both David Aebischer and Jose Theodore tend to fall apart mentally after a few goals, unlike Budaj. I've never been a big fan of Aebischer's technical game in net, either. He gives up way too many rebounds for my taste and is streaky just like the guy who he was traded for.

Theodore doesn't cover enough net and has an awful glove hand. I was hoping he would have even a little bit of a turnaround this season, but the early results aren't encouraging. He played decent against Dallas, very good against Vancouver, below average against Edmonton, absolutely terrible vs. Chicago, good against Ottawa, and below average vs. Montreal. He didn't have much of a chance on a lot of the goals against his former team and I'll give him a pass on that game. The Chicago game he deserved all the criticism he received, but he didn't deserve it for Montreal, IMO.

I did think it was funny how Haynes and McNab kept saying they were surprised it was a high scoring game Saturday night in Montreal. I told my friends before the game that there were going to be a ton of goals because all the Colorado and Montreal shooters knew the goalies' weaknesses, and let's face it, both Theo and Aebi have some rather glaring weaknesses.

With our defense there's not going to be a lot of easy games for Theodore or Budaj, but tonight vs. Los Angeles was one of them. The Kings don't have a lot of offensive talent aside from their good young prospects. Rob Blake didn't look all that interested in tonight's game (what kind of reception did Blake get? I missed the opening of the telecast since I forgot it was a 6:00 start). I thought Anze Kopitar and his eyes looked kind of freaky. Maybe the NHL should do a Halloween promotion with the young gun.

Anyway, I'm really excited to go to the Pepsi Center Wednesday night to see Alexander Ovechkin and Alexander Semin. Jose Theodore needs to have a good game or he may be the next Drew Bledsoe.
Breck Bronc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006, 09:31 PM   #287
Mtbrncofn
Ring of Famer

I'm certainly not going to b****, but on the one goal they scored, did everyone notice who was standing in front of the net like a damn statue?
Old 10-23-2006, 09:36 PM   #288
Jens1893
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtbrncofn View Post
I'm certainly not going to b****, but on the one goal they scored, did everyone notice who was standing in front of the net like a damn statue?
I didnt see it, so let me guess ... is the suspect French Canadian?
Old 10-23-2006, 09:46 PM   #289
Mtbrncofn
Ring of Famer

Yes, he would be FC and a defenseman if that helps.
Old 10-23-2006, 10:02 PM   #290
24champ
Livin' the dream!

Keep Calm and Chive on

Adopt-a-Bronco:
DomCasual

Quote:
Yeah I would say because they were suprised a defenseman like Sopel was blowing through there. Marc Crawford is using him right. Just wish we would play smarter and not have stupid ****ing penalties.
Old 10-23-2006, 10:03 PM   #291
24champ
Livin' the dream!

Keep Calm and Chive on

Adopt-a-Bronco:
DomCasual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jens1893 View Post
I didnt see it, so let me guess ... is the suspect French Canadian?
I didn't see Avery fight anyone so I doubt it.
Old 10-23-2006, 10:14 PM   #292
Jori
US Olympian

I'm glad that I was wrong about Paul Stastny leaving DU early. That Wolski/Stastny/Hejduk line is fun to watch. The two kids seem to have rejuvenated Hejduk. Things have to be going right when you are scoring goals off your face

Sakic only two points away from 1500

I must say that Boods mask is awesome

If I'm lucky, I'll be able to see Sakic get to 1500 on Wednesday night. Can't wait...should be a fun game

Last edited by Jori; 10-23-2006 at 10:17 PM..
Jori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006, 10:19 PM   #293
Jens1893
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Yes, he would be FC and a defenseman if that helps.
Then the answer is Ian Laperriere as I yet have to see Patrice Frisbee doing anything that resembles the play of a defenseman in an Avs sweater. What do I win?
Old 10-23-2006, 10:30 PM   #294
Clockwork Orange
Persona Non Grata

I seen him!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breck Bronc View Post
I'm glad we still have Peter Budaj. I think in today's NHL a goaltender has to be able to shake off any goals they give up and move on. This isn't the Dead Puck-era anymore and goalies are going to have really bad nights on occasion.

I think both David Aebischer and Jose Theodore tend to fall apart mentally after a few goals, unlike Budaj. I've never been a big fan of Aebischer's technical game in net, either. He gives up way too many rebounds for my taste and is streaky just like the guy who he was traded for.

Theodore doesn't cover enough net and has an awful glove hand. I was hoping he would have even a little bit of a turnaround this season, but the early results aren't encouraging. He played decent against Dallas, very good against Vancouver, below average against Edmonton, absolutely terrible vs. Chicago, good against Ottawa, and below average vs. Montreal. He didn't have much of a chance on a lot of the goals against his former team and I'll give him a pass on that game. The Chicago game he deserved all the criticism he received, but he didn't deserve it for Montreal, IMO.

I did think it was funny how Haynes and McNab kept saying they were surprised it was a high scoring game Saturday night in Montreal. I told my friends before the game that there were going to be a ton of goals because all the Colorado and Montreal shooters knew the goalies' weaknesses, and let's face it, both Theo and Aebi have some rather glaring weaknesses.

With our defense there's not going to be a lot of easy games for Theodore or Budaj, but tonight vs. Los Angeles was one of them. The Kings don't have a lot of offensive talent aside from their good young prospects. Rob Blake didn't look all that interested in tonight's game (what kind of reception did Blake get? I missed the opening of the telecast since I forgot it was a 6:00 start). I thought Anze Kopitar and his eyes looked kind of freaky. Maybe the NHL should do a Halloween promotion with the young gun.

Anyway, I'm really excited to go to the Pepsi Center Wednesday night to see Alexander Ovechkin and Alexander Semin. Jose Theodore needs to have a good game or he may be the next Drew Bledsoe.
Theodore also doesn't seem to be focused on some nights. It's been so noticeable that I've honestly wondered if he's having problems with his eyesight.

I'm looking forward to getting a close look at Alexander The Great and Alexander The Pretty Damn Good on Wednesday, too. I'll be at the end they're attacking twice, so if Theo gets bombed, I'll have a real good view of it.
Old 10-23-2006, 10:49 PM   #295
SoCalBronco
Nixonite

Adopt-a-Bronco:
D.J. Williams

I bet Herc is definitely going to that game.
Old 10-23-2006, 11:12 PM   #296
Clockwork Orange
Persona Non Grata

I seen him!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jori View Post
If I'm lucky, I'll be able to see Sakic get to 1500 on Wednesday night. Can't wait...should be a fun game
I was at the game that Sakic scored goals #498 & 499. I was just gripping in hopes that he'd complete the hat trick so that I could say I was there for #500. Unfortunately, that happened in Vancouver, in a game that wasn't even broadcast locally. If you didn't have Center Ice, you were SOL and didn't get to see him make history. Fox Sports really stepped in it on that one.

By the way, that game in which he got #498 & 499 was against Montreal. Patrick Roy and Jose Theodore put on a clinic that night....or should have checked into one. The game ended with the Avs getting the win in OT 7-6.
Old 10-24-2006, 08:14 AM   #297
Hercules Rockefeller
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
DJ Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalBronco View Post
I bet Herc is definitely going to that game.
Have tickets, but probably won't know until tomorrow whether or not I will be able to go because of work stuff.
Hercules Rockefeller is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006, 08:19 AM   #298
Bronx33
lets go partner

Rumpson Rocks

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Woodyard

Stastny make number 3 star on nhl.com

http://www.nhl.com/
Bronx33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006, 03:03 PM   #299
Kid A
Ring of Famer

I don't need love. I just need wins

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Rahim Moore

http://www.denverpost.com/avalanche/ci_4539860

Goaltending controversy? If Theodore doesn't get his crap together this could get very interesting.
Kid A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006, 03:10 PM   #300
Hercules Rockefeller
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
DJ Williams

Just let Jose play tomorrow night before the controversy erupts
Hercules Rockefeller is online now   Reply With Quote