The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Other Sports Discussion > NBA & NCAA
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 10-22-2006, 11:32 AM   #1
GonzoLays
Five Tool Poster

Adopt-a-Bronco:
#3 DJ
Default The man, the myth, the legend: Leon Powe!

Seeing his first significant action of the preseason against the Nets this past Tuesday, Leon "the show" Powe dropped 11 pts and 15 rebounds. Many people asked, "how can Leon top that performance?" Have no fears critics, Mr. Powe last night dropped 16 pts, 9 rebounds and added a mind boggling 3 block shots last night in only 22 minutes of action.

Can you say the steal of the draft? I think you can.

And who are the Celtics to thank for this player of incredible potential? Thats right, the Nuggs.

Who couldn't use a player like Leon? Think KMART pre-injury/pre-huge contract. Wow.

If the Nuggs hadn't of traded Leon for a measly second round pick, dare I say he would be playing over KMART. Damn! That's got to hurt.

Leon is all heart.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Rivers
What I love about him is [he sends] a message to all the other bigs: There's a guy who's willing to get his nose dirty. You better do it, or he'll be getting your minutes."

"Just his presence on the floor, I think, was felt by the entire team," Rivers said. "He does all the little things defensively and he spreads the floor with his shot."
Leon on being a team player:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon
"I was looking [at what teammates did in games] and saying, `I can do that,' " said Powe. "But it isn't about what I can do. It's about what Doc and the team needs. Right now, I think they just need to have somebody out there rebounding and fighting, somebody with toughness.

"I look at it as I've got a different role [than in college]. I can score points. I can be a go-to guy. I know I can do that, but I know that ain't my role. I'm going out there and showing what Danny and Doc see in me, that means making the hustle plays and rebounding. I just try to keep up the energy out there. I think that's what Danny saw when he picked me up."
What's not to like about this kid? What were you thinking Nuggs?
GonzoLays is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-22-2006, 10:42 PM   #2
Clockwork Orange
Persona Non Grata

I seen him!

Celtic fan reduced to bragging about preseason games.

How times have changed.
Clockwork Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006, 06:30 AM   #3
RhymesayersDU
Go Broncos, Nuggets, Rox

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ty Lawson

Nikoloz Tskitishvili called, he wants his Summer-League and Pre-Season MVP awards back.
RhymesayersDU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006, 07:07 AM   #4
GonzoLays
Five Tool Poster

Adopt-a-Bronco:
#3 DJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clockwork Orange View Post
Celtic fan reduced to bragging about preseason games.

How times have changed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RhymesayersDU
Nikoloz Tskitishvili called, he wants his Summer-League and Pre-Season MVP awards back.
You can even smell the bitterness through the screen.
Old 10-23-2006, 09:00 AM   #5
RhymesayersDU
Go Broncos, Nuggets, Rox

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ty Lawson

Quote:
Originally Posted by GonzoLays View Post
You can even smell the bitterness through the screen.
Bitterness? Try reality. I know you have little grasp of it, but have fun in the lottery, again.

Old 10-23-2006, 02:23 PM   #6
GonzoLays
Five Tool Poster

Adopt-a-Bronco:
#3 DJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by RhymesayersDU View Post
Bitterness? Try reality. I know you have little grasp of it, but have fun in the lottery, again.

The lottery was soooo last season.

Playoffs here we come.

Book it. (you know its a lock when I write book it.)
Old 10-23-2006, 02:52 PM   #7
RhymesayersDU
Go Broncos, Nuggets, Rox

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ty Lawson

Gonzstradamous!
Old 10-23-2006, 04:57 PM   #8
GonzoLays
Five Tool Poster

Adopt-a-Bronco:
#3 DJ

Intensity defined:

Leon "The Show" Powe

And word to the wise for the Nuggets in the future, never trade away a guy with the nickname like "the show." Especially not for a second round draft pick. It can only comeback to haunt you.
Old 10-24-2006, 09:09 AM   #9
GonzoLays
Five Tool Poster

Adopt-a-Bronco:
#3 DJ

Powe packs punch: Muscles into C’s plans
By Steve Bulpett
Boston Herald Sports Reporter

Tuesday, October 24, 2006 - Updated: 07:33 AM EST

It’s fair to say Paul Pierce might have been more entertained than any of the nearly 10,000 fans Saturday night at Mohegan Sun when the Celtics were beating the New York Knicks.

Perched on the pine for most of the second half, a smiling, laughing Pierce was cheering on Leon Powe during the rookie’s 16-point, nine-rebound performance.

“G-Unit,” Pierce kept shouting at his new forward friend, referencing the rap group. “Guerilla Unit. Look out, man. He’s G-Unit.”

The Celts captain was laughing it up and loving it each time Powe won an inside war.

“Look at him,” Pierce said. “He’s a monster.”

When someone suggested Powe-lice as a nickname, Pierce shook his head.

“No,” Pierce said. “He’s a criminal.”

Pierce warned the Knicks’ Quentin Richardson, a Chicago guy, that Powe was from East Oakland and to beware. The statement proved prophetic when Richardson drove into Powe and came up empty.

And when Powe went down hard in the fight for a rebound, Pierce laughed and shouted to the referees, “Hey, see if the floor’s all right.”

Pierce always has had an affinity for tough guys, bemoaning the loss of Danny Fortson years ago.

“Yeah, I like the guys who like to get down and dirty,” said Pierce, who agreed Powe might be a less psychotic version of Fortson.

After his Saturday effort and his 11 points and 15 boards the previous game, Powe has elevated his stature with the team.

“Definitely, he’s surprising people,” Pierce said. “The way he’s played, I don’t think he’s really showed that in training camp. We have a lot of guys, and he hadn’t really gotten the opportunity. He’s one of the last big men to get in there and play, and he’s making the most of his opportunities in the games, and that’s when it counts.”

"You can see it. He’s an instigator. When he’s on the floor, you’re going to have to do something to get the ball out of his hands. He’s a rough guy. He’s an instigator, and we need that. The defensive stuff he’s really starting to get, and the offensive stuff I’m not worried about that much. That will come for him, but even if that takes awhile, we’re seeing just how many other things he can do for us.

“I’ll tell you what does surprise me that I didn’t see in practices or this summer is his ability to block shots. I know he has long arms, but he got his hands on three or four (Saturday) that I just didn’t know he could do. That’s the added bonus. If he can do that, that’ll be great for us.”

For now, the Celts will just appreciate that Powe knows his role.

“I just try to go out there and sometimes be the enforcer,” Powe said. “I try to get all the rebounds. Whatever I can do to help my team win, that’s what I do. Rebounding is all about effort. It’s all about effort and positioning. Whoever is quick to the ball, that’s who’s going to get it. That’s the attitude you’ve got to have. May the best man get it; that’s how I look at it.”

Pierce looks at it with a smile on his face.
Old 10-24-2006, 09:53 AM   #10
GonzoLays
Five Tool Poster

Adopt-a-Bronco:
#3 DJ

Leon Powe, a 6'8" PF with the armlength of a seven footer, the face the basket game of a shooting guard, and the toughness of a Charles Oakley.

Wow!
Old 11-16-2006, 03:46 PM   #11
GonzoLays
Five Tool Poster

Adopt-a-Bronco:
#3 DJ

Time for a Leon update:

Seeing his first 1st action of the season against the Cavs Monday night, Leon 'the show' Powe scored 10 pts, grabbed 7 rebounds, and blocked 2 shots in 28 minutes. Thanks to his incredible wingspan (7'4"...longer arms than most centers in the league) and incredible hustle and power, Powe has earned the nickname of fro2 (ben wallace) from this teammates. WOZAH!

I'll keep you fellas updated on Mr. Powe throughout the season.
Old 11-17-2006, 10:32 PM   #12
GonzoLays
Five Tool Poster

Adopt-a-Bronco:
#3 DJ

Powe line tonight:

18 minutes, 9 points, 6 rebounds and 1 block. That man is freaking active!
Old 11-26-2006, 12:15 AM   #13
rubaiyat
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by GonzoLays View Post
Time for a Leon update:

Seeing his first 1st action of the season against the Cavs Monday night, Leon 'the show' Powe scored 10 pts, grabbed 7 rebounds, and blocked 2 shots in 28 minutes. Thanks to his incredible wingspan (7'4"...longer arms than most centers in the league) and incredible hustle and power, Powe has earned the nickname of fro2 (ben wallace) from this teammates. WOZAH!

I'll keep you fellas updated on Mr. Powe throughout the season.
So, any updates??
rubaiyat is offline   Reply With Quote