The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Other Sports Discussion > NHL
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 09-27-2006, 07:55 AM   #5601
Nuggets4
Requisite Nugs Die-Hard

Buffaloes, Buffaloes, Go C-U!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Allen Iverson

Quote:
Originally Posted by 24champbailey View Post
REP! Anyone that mentions NHL 94 or 95 gets props from me. One of my favorite scenes in the movie "SWINGERS", was when Vince Vaughn was playing the Blackhawks and was bragging about how he can knock players out of the game and said he could knock Gretzky out. Then the Pizza guy came and his opponent got the door. Vince Vaughn unpaused it and knocked out Gretz and a brawl ensued. Funny scene.
I'm gonna make Gretzky's head bleed...

As a musician and a hockey fan, that song list made me die a little bit inside. I'm just thrilled that "Cotton Eyed Joe" by the Rednex didn't make it on there considering every Avs game I've been at (warning: pre-lockout) played that Godforsaken song.
Nuggets4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 04:03 PM   #5602
24champ
Bring back Kubiak!

Keep Calm and Chive on

Adopt-a-Bronco:
DomCasual

Kings sign Cloutier to a 2 year extension per an email I got.

****!
24champ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 04:31 PM   #5603
Bronx33
lets go partner

Rumpson Rocks

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Woodyard

Quote:

****!

Aaaaaaaaa hahahaha!! hes a playoff gold goalie. NOT!
Bronx33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 04:48 PM   #5604
Clockwork Orange
Persona Non Grata

I seen him!

Quote:

****!
Makes you wonder if there's something funny going on between he and Crawford.
Clockwork Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 05:07 PM   #5605
Killericon
Front 7, Please

Adopt-a-Bronco:
watermock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clockwork Orange View Post
Killericon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 06:18 PM   #5606
Bronx33
lets go partner

Rumpson Rocks

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Woodyard
Default Happy Lappy

http://www.rockymountainnews.com/drm...023760,00.html

CENTENNIAL - Ian Laperriere spent nine NHL seasons within a few slap shots of Disneyland, but there is no happier place on Earth for him than a hockey rink.

"I always have fun playing, even if it's just a preseason game," said the Avalanche forward, who always seems to be in a good mood.

Laperriere, 32, might have gotten the most enjoyment out of his career last season, his first in Colorado after stints with Los Angeles, the New York Rangers and St. Louis.

Projected as a grinding defensive forward with an edge to his game - he isn't afraid to drop his gloves when needed - Laperriere nearly doubled his previous career bests with 21 goals, 24 assists and 45 points while playing in all 82 regular-season games.

Laperriere led the Avalanche with 116 penalty minutes, so it wasn't as if he neglected his in-your-face style that can be so maddening for opponents. "Lappy," as he is called by his teammates, can be more than a little yappy. He also plays all three forward positions, kills penalties and even is asked to take the occasional faceoff.

"Last year was a blast," he said. "The main reason was because of the guys in the room. I was in L.A. for so long that you get comfortable, but this locker room was easy to adjust to. In L.A., I had great teammates, but I had issues with one of them; everybody knows which one."

Laperriere was referring to Kings forward Sean Avery, with whom he has had a running feud.

"Here, everybody was great," Laperriere said. "It all starts with Joe (Sakic); everybody follows him. He's a great leader, but he's also a great person."

Some of Sakic's scoring prowess must have rubbed off because Laperriere hadn't recorded more than 13 goals in any of his 10 previous NHL seasons; he netted that many in 37 games in the lockout-shortened 1994-95 campaign while a rookie with the St. Louis Blues.

"He had a great year for us," Avalanche coach Joel Quenneville said. "He brings a lot of excitement and enthusiasm to the group. He loves being at the rink, and all the guys love him. His energy in the room is contagious."

Laperriere is one of five returning 20-plus goal scorers on the roster, and the Avalanche could use a repeat performance from him now that Alex Tanguay is in Calgary, Rob Blake is in Los Angeles and Steve Konowalchuk is in limbo while awaiting test results to determine why an electrocardiogram came up abnormal.

All Laperriere, who signed a free-agent contract with the Avalanche in July 2004, can guarantee is that he'll continue to bring the same work ethic to the rink that he has since learning how to skate while growing up in Montreal.

"It would be great to score goals again, but I can't promise that," he said. "I've been in the league for so many years, and I've never put pressure on myself. I'm just going to go out there and work hard. If the opportunities are there, I'll do my best. If I score, great. I'll try to contribute wherever I can.

"I'm not saying I'm going to score 21 goals again or anything like that. I'm just going to work hard. That's the only thing I can control. I know it's a cliché, but I've been going on that cliché for years, so I'm not setting any goals for points.

"If it's a blocked shot or a fight or something like that, I'll do whatever it takes to help the team. That's how I've been playing my whole career, and I won't change this year just because last year I had a good offensive year."

ETC.: Sakic, still slowed by a hip flexor injury, did not make the trip to Dallas, but Quenneville said he will skate today in Denver. Sakic could play in Saturday's exhibition finale and is expected to be ready for the season opener Oct. 4 . . . The Avalanche on Tuesday reassigned forward Chris Stewart to his junior team in Kingston, Ontario. Stewart, the 18th overall pick in the June draft, did not score in three preseason games. "We think that he still needs to play a lot and to grow as a player," Quenneville said. "He showed some good things in camp. I think his upside is bright." Colorado's roster is down to 30 players. Depending on injuries, the Avalanche might have to cut only three or four more players before the regular season . . . Forward Marek Svatos is expected to play his first game tonight since fracturing his right shoulder in March . . . Quenneville said forward Pierre Turgeon might not be ready to join the lineup until the end of October. Turgeon is recovering from shoulder surgery and recently aggravated groin and hip injuries that nagged him last season.
Old 09-27-2006, 06:39 PM   #5607
Clockwork Orange
Persona Non Grata

I seen him!

After reading that last paragraph, it looks like Paul Stastny has a very good shot at being on the opening night roster.
Old 09-27-2006, 07:17 PM   #5608
Bronx33
lets go partner

Rumpson Rocks

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Woodyard

Quote:
After reading that last paragraph, it looks like Paul Stastny has a very good shot at being on the opening night roster.

May jacking his shoulder up in a fight and turg out until the end of 0ct we just might see him and wolski for a few games.
Old 09-27-2006, 07:44 PM   #5609
Clockwork Orange
Persona Non Grata

I seen him!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronx33 View Post
May jacking his shoulder up in a fight and turg out until the end of 0ct we just might see him and wolski for a few games.
I would love to see a line of Wolski-Stastny-Svatos, even if it's only for a few games.
Old 09-27-2006, 07:59 PM   #5610
24champ
Bring back Kubiak!

Keep Calm and Chive on

Adopt-a-Bronco:
DomCasual

Quote:
Yeah...but the only bright side that I know of is that Deano ( our new GM) knows his goalies. So he must know something we do not.
Old 09-27-2006, 08:01 PM   #5611
24champ
Bring back Kubiak!

Keep Calm and Chive on

Adopt-a-Bronco:
DomCasual

Quote:
Aaaaaaaaa hahahaha!! hes a playoff gold goalie. NOT!
I'd like to make it to the playoffs first.
Old 09-27-2006, 11:11 PM   #5612
Clockwork Orange
Persona Non Grata

I seen him!

Stastny, with two assists tonight, continues to make his case to stay with the big club.
Old 09-28-2006, 01:00 AM   #5613
Mtbrncofn
Ring of Famer

May and Turgeon injured...., color me astounded.

Last edited by Mtbrncofn; 09-28-2006 at 01:03 AM..
Mtbrncofn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 01:02 AM   #5614
Mtbrncofn
Ring of Famer

One week!
Old 09-29-2006, 09:26 AM   #5615
Jori
US Olympian

Attention college hockey fans:

Tickets for the 2007 West Regional go on sale tomorrow at 10:00 AM at the Pepsi Center box office and on Ticketmaster.com. Those who buy tickets tomorrow between 10 AM and 4 PM at Pepsi Center, will be entered into a drawing for two tickets to the 2008 Frozen Four.

If you are a DU season ticket holder, I'd encourage you to contact the DU box office in regards to the West Regional and Frozen Four packages. They sold these packages this summer for the West Regional that would guarantee you tickets for the Frozen Four in 2008.

Keep in mind, for the general public, Frozen Four tickets are distributed in a lottery type format.
Jori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2006, 11:24 AM   #5616
Bronx33
lets go partner

Rumpson Rocks

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Woodyard
Default Kono

The Colorado Avalanche Hockey Club will be holding a press conference today at 1:00pm EDT.
At that time, the specifics about Steve Konowalchuk’s condition will be announced.
Old 09-29-2006, 11:35 AM   #5617
Bronx33
lets go partner

Rumpson Rocks

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Woodyard
Default Stastny has a leg up

Good new ehhh? jori.

http://www.rockymountainnews.com/drm...029984,00.html

Joel Quenneville isn't tipping his hand just yet, but it sure sounds like a 20-year-old rookie from a prominent hockey-playing family will be in the Avalanche lineup when the 2006-07 season starts Wednesday.

That would be Paul Stastny, son of Hall of Famer Peter Stastny, who played alongside brothers Anton and Marian Stastny for the Quebec Nordiques in the 1980s.

"He looks like he belongs," Quenneville said of Paul Stastny, who left the University of Denver after his sophomore year to sign with the Avalanche in July.

"I just think as we go along here, we'll be trying different things, but he gives us one more guy who could be considered on both the power play and penalty killing. As a rookie, he's pretty impressive."

Stastny, a 6-foot, 200-pound center, played well again Wednesday in Dallas, setting up two goals in the Avalanche's 5-3 preseason victory against the Stars.

"It was fun to play because (the Stars) had almost their full NHL roster," Stastny said. "I feel good, but whatever happens, happens. I'll be ready for anything."

Stastny laughed when asked if he feels like a professional now.

"Ever since the first day of training camp when I barely had to pack my bag . . . they moved everything for me," he said. "They treat you well here."

The Avalanche drafted Stastny with its second-round pick (44th overall) in 2005 after he helped DU win the second of its back-to-back NCAA championships.

He produced 17 goals and 28 assists in 42 games as a freshman, including two goals and one assist in the Pioneers' 4-1 win against North Dakota in the title game.

Last year, Stastny collected 19 goals and 34 assists in 39 games. He led the Western Collegiate Hockey Association in scoring with 44 points (15 goals, 29 assists) in 28 games, was a first team all-conference selection and was a third team All-American.

"He's been a special player everywhere he's been," Quenneville said. "He's been a top producer. Coming in and winning a championship as a freshman, playing special teams, playing a lot of minutes . . . he was one of their top guys."

If Stastny makes the Avalanche's 23-man roster, it's likely it would be as a third-line center - behind Joe Sakic and Tyler Arnason.

Brett McLean and Brad Richardson are the other centers in camp, along with Pierre Turgeon, who is recovering from rotator cuff surgery and hasn't played in any exhibition games.

Stastny won't win too many speedskating competitions, but he manages to get to where he needs to be quickly enough and isn't easily knocked off the puck.

He also always seems to know where his teammates are on the ice, the kind of awareness that can't be taught.

In Wednesday's game, he made pinpoint passes to Milan Hejduk and Ian Laperriere that resulted in goals.

The pass to Laperriere, who scored the tiebreaking goal in the third period, was zipped by a sliding Stars defenseman.

"I just think his overall hockey sense," Quenneville said when asked what has most impressed him about the youngster. "He's a hockey player. I mean, his positioning around the ice, how he keeps himself in the play, his patience with the puck down low below the hash marks . . . his play selection is top end. He's got a real bright future."

Stastny has totaled three assists in four preseason games and scored two goals in shootouts, one of which gave the Avalanche a 3-2 victory in Detroit a week ago.

"The first day of training camp, you're always nervous," he said. "Every day, I get less and less nervous. It's good to have confidence. Having fun out there is basically where the confidence comes from.

"I felt I could be ready (for the NHL). It was just the speed up here. I just want to keep getting better. I'm young, only 20, so technically, I've still got five or six years before I hit my prime. I just want to keep getting better every day, that's what's important."

CHARITY EVENT: The Avalanche will return to practice today after holding its annual charity golf tournament Thursday at The Ridge at Castle Pines North. The event raised $75,000, upping the tournament's total to $750,000 since the franchise has been in Colorado.
Old 09-29-2006, 12:40 PM   #5618
Bronx33
lets go partner

Rumpson Rocks

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Woodyard
Default Kono going to retire

****!

http://www.coloradoavalanche.com/new...ils.asp?ID=628

DENVER – Colorado Avalanche forward Steve Konowalchuk announced today that he’s retiring from the game of hockey after a 13-season career in the National Hockey League.
Old 09-29-2006, 12:54 PM   #5619
Jori
US Olympian

Best of luck to you Steve
Old 09-29-2006, 12:55 PM   #5620
Jori
US Olympian

Kings get stud defensive prospect Jack Johnson and Oleg Tverdovsky for Tim Gleason and Eric Belanger.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=179262&hubname=

What a steal for the Kings.
Old 09-29-2006, 01:12 PM   #5621
Bronx33
lets go partner

Rumpson Rocks

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Woodyard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jori View Post
Kings get stud defensive prospect Jack Johnson and Oleg Tverdovsky for Tim Gleason and Eric Belanger.

No doubt!
Old 09-29-2006, 01:51 PM   #5622
Mtbrncofn
Ring of Famer

Quote:
****!

http://www.coloradoavalanche.com/new...ils.asp?ID=628

DENVER – Colorado Avalanche forward Steve Konowalchuk announced today that he’s retiring from the game of hockey after a 13-season career in the National Hockey League.
Are you ****ing kidding me?!!! Was this rumored and I missed it? This blows.
Old 09-29-2006, 01:53 PM   #5623
24champ
Bring back Kubiak!

Keep Calm and Chive on

Adopt-a-Bronco:
DomCasual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jori View Post

This makes up for the Cloutier extension.

Kings have the greatest collection of young talent in the NHL now IMO. Way to get r done Deano.

KOPITAR, SULLY, JOHNSON HOLY ****IN S***!
Old 09-29-2006, 02:31 PM   #5624
Bronx33
lets go partner

Rumpson Rocks

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Woodyard

LA will be happy until they see clouts play.......
Old 09-29-2006, 02:35 PM   #5625
Jori
US Olympian

Kings fans will have to wait for JJ until next season, he's staying at Michigan for now. It's a great deal for LA, they suffer this year, but their future is bright.

More Avalanche news to report...

Brad May had surgery on his shoulder and is expected to miss the next 4-6 months.

In light of today's news, I think it ensures that Stastny and McCormick will be on the opening day roster.