The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Other Sports Discussion > MLB
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 09-07-2006, 11:40 PM   #1
Clockwork Orange
Persona Non Grata

I seen him!

Default Who is the A.L. MVP?

The frontrunners are:

Jermaine Dye: .326, 40 HR, 110 RBI, .394 OBP, .644 SLG

Derek Jeter: .344, 12 HR, 85 RBI, .420 OBP, .485 SLG

David Ortiz: .283, 47 HR, 121 RBI, .396 OBP, .624 SLG

Who's your choice?
Clockwork Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-08-2006, 12:06 AM   #2
-Slap-
Ring of Famer

How about Justin Morneau?

.319, 33 HR, 115 RBI, .372 OBP, .583 SLG.

.347 post ASB.

Jeter will win it, though. I'll be glad because the sabermetric crowd will howl in anguish.
-Slap- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006, 12:11 AM   #3
Clockwork Orange
Persona Non Grata

I seen him!

I heard a guy on the radio talking about how Johan Santana deserves not only the Cy Young, but consideration for the MVP as well. He said that the Twins are something like 23-2 in the last 25 games he's started.
Old 09-08-2006, 09:47 PM   #4
Drinks Old No7
Whiskey On The Rocks!!!

Have A Drink On Me!!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Jay Cutler

Drinks Old No7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2006, 12:09 AM   #5
Breck Bronc
Roland Deschain

The Gunslinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Slap- View Post
Jeter will win it, though. I'll be glad because the sabermetric crowd will howl in anguish.
I don't think there will be any howling from that crowd. Jeter's currently in the AL Win Shares lead ahead of Manny, Mauer, Hafner, Ortiz, Dye, Morneau, Thome and Vlad (in that order). He's also second behind Hafner in Runs Created.

Jeter's having an excellent sabermetric season. An over .900 OPS as a shortstop and right handed hitter in Yankee Stadium is pretty impressive. His 29 stolen bases in 32 attempts are excellent; just what you'd want from a #1 or #2 hitter. Even his once derided defense has improved based on sabermetric stats.
Breck Bronc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2006, 12:18 AM   #6
Clockwork Orange
Persona Non Grata

I seen him!

Tina Fey: Now it's time for an old favorite here at "Weekend Update" - "Point/Counterpoint". Here to debate tonight are Yankee shortstop Derek Jeter and Boston Red Sox fan Seth Meyers. Tonight's topic on "Point/Counterpoint": "Derek Jeter Sucks" - "No, I Don't". Derek, why don't we start with you.

Derek Jeter: Thanks, Tina. I know my friend Seth Meyers here is a Red Sox fan, and that's great. The fan really are what keep Major League baseball going. But I hope Seth can see that I play hard all the time, and I always do my best for the team.

Tina Fey: Seth, Counterpoint?

Seth Meyers: You suck!

Tina Fey: Seth, you still have, like, thirty seconds.

Seth Meyers: I'll elaborate. Jeter, you suck in three very specific ways. So Hard, So Bad, and Wicked Bad.

Tina Fey: Derek? Response?

Derek Jeter: Well, I’ve heard this argument before, Seth. In fact, Red Sox fans have been nice enough to share this argument with me every time I play in Boston. Or walk in Boston. Or go on a date in a fancy restaurant in Boston. Also, sometimes they drive to Baltimore, when we play the Orioles, to tell me I suck. [ Seth starts chanting "Der-ek!" in Derek's ear ] But if you look at my numbers, you'll find that I'm a very productive shortshop. Seth, what are you doing? You've been following me around all week screaming at me.

Seth Meyers: I'm sorry, Derek.. really.. I really am. It's just you and people like you ruined my entire childhood. So I swore if I ever got within six feet of a real Yankee, I'd kick his ass. But then I saw you.. and I knew that that could not happen. But, thankfully, this can happen - You suck!

Derek Jeter: Seth, I don't suck. I've won four World Series rings in six years.

Seth Meyers: Valid point. But if there was a World Series of sucking, you'd have, like, a hundred rings!

Derek Jeter: What?! Alright, look.. Nomar Garciaparr's a great player. Is it okay to say he sucks?

Seth Meyers: [ aghast ] What.. did you say..?

Derek Jeter: I don't think he sucks, I'm trying to prove a point!

Seth Meyers: [ crying ] Well, why would you say that..? You said that Nomar.. he has a broken wrist.. and he's so nice.. and he's like my best friend..!

Derek Jeter: Seth, Seth.. I'm sorry. Is there anything I can do to make you feel better?

Seth Meyers: Will you come play for Boston?

Derek Jeter: No. No.

Seth Meyers: Then, sign my hat?

Derek Jeter: Sure, man, no problem.

Seth Meyers: Will you sign it as Nomar?

Derek Jeter: Whatever.. whatever.. [ signs the hat ]

Seth Meyers: Thanks, Derek. You know, you don't suck.

Derek Jeter: Thanks, Seth. You do suck, a little.

Seth Meyers: I know.. I know..

Tina Fey: This has been "Point/Counterpoint".
Old 09-11-2006, 04:45 PM   #7
Clockwork Orange
Persona Non Grata

I seen him!

Ortiz let's his thoughts about the MVP award be known.

David Ortiz, the American League leader in home runs and RBI, says Boston's fall from the American League playoff race should not disqualify him from the race for the AL's Most Valuable Player award.

But Ortiz told reporters after the Red Sox's 9-3 win over the Royals on Sunday that he thinks that's what's going to happen.

"I'll tell you one thing," Ortiz said. "If I get 50 home runs and 10 more RBI [which would give him 137], that's going to be a round number that no one else in the American League will have."

"But they'll vote for a position player, use that as an excuse. They're talking about [Derek] Jeter a lot, right? He's done a great job, he's having a great season, but Jeter is not a 40-homer hitter or an RBI guy. It doesn't matter how much you've done for your ball club, the bottom line is, the guy who hits 40 home runs and knocks in 100, that's the guy you know helped your team win games.

"Don't get me wrong -- he's a great player, having a great season, but he's got a lot of guys in that lineup," Ortiz continued. "Top to bottom, you've got a guy who can hurt you. Come hit in this lineup, see how good you can be."

Ortiz said if he had a vote, he might cast it for Jermaine Dye or Paul Konerko of the Chicago White Sox, or Justin Morneau of the Minnesota Twins.

"All depends on who makes the playoffs," he said. "Dye is having an unbelievable season, an incredible year. Konerko, too.

"Morneau, he's having a great season, but in Minnesota, there's no publicity. I bet you nobody knows who he is."

Ortiz also noted that Alex Rodriguez won the MVP in 2003, despite the fact his Texas Rangers finished last in the AL West. That season, A-Rod hit .298 with 47 home runs and 118 RBI.

"I'm right there," he said, "but I'm not going to win it. They give it to [Rodriguez] one year, even though his team was in last place, so now they can't play that BS anymore, just because your team didn't make it. They gave it to Alex that year because of his numbers. But they always have a reason to vote for whatever, so that's why I don't worry about it."
Old 09-13-2006, 05:17 AM   #8
OrangeShadow
armed

and dangerous

jeter will win it but in that lineup i dont think the MVP holds as much water. 1-9 they have a guy who can hurt you. we have basically manny and ortiz. we have people like coco alex cora will mo strikeout pena and alex gonzalez.
OrangeShadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 04:34 PM   #9
TDforTD
Just Drafted

Jeter. Only Pujols has a better WARP3 than him in the last 2 years. What people have to realize is that his position is being undervalued. He may have overrated defense, but he still plays the hardest position in baseball and plays it well enough.

But, he won't win it. People saying he will definitely should note that several writers believe in 3/4 hitters winning the award. Not to mention the whole, "second best ss on his own team," ordeal.

And a pitcher should be able to win MVP.
TDforTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 04:59 PM   #10
OrangeShadow
armed

and dangerous

a pitcher should be able to win it but jeter will win it. the voters will combine it it with his lifetime achievement award. Personally i think morneau deserves it.
OrangeShadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2006, 08:09 PM   #11
bill parcells
Sycophant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drinks Old No7 View Post

haha!!!

ditto!!!
bill parcells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2006, 08:15 PM   #12
-Slap-
Ring of Famer