The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Other Sports Discussion > NHL
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 09-06-2006, 10:54 AM   #501
JCMElway
Moderate-erator

Dominate!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Oleg

Jori is on the clock until 1:48 AM

Bron LB 52 can make two selectiosn at any time
JCMElway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006, 11:08 AM   #502
Jori
US Olympian

Thanks for the reminder. I'll make my pick later this afternoon (don't have my list with me).
Jori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006, 04:47 PM   #503
Jori
US Olympian

I'm going new school with this pick...a guy I think will be the next great defensemen in the NHL.

The Colorado Rockies are proud to select:

D Dion Phaneuf

The Colorado Rockies:

Johnny Bucyk/Stan Mikita/Maurice Richard
Michel Goulet/Pat LaFontaine/Mike Gartner
Bill Barber/Dale Hawerchuk/Mark Recchi
---/Doug Gilmour/Pat Verbeek

Nicklas Lidstrom/ Serge Savard
Rod Langway/ Tim Horton
Wade Redden/ Dion Phaneuf

Terry Sawchuk
--
Jori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006, 05:57 PM   #504
JCMElway
Moderate-erator

Dominate!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Oleg

Time for some leadership, grit, size, and nastiness.

Derian Hatcher, D, Northstars/Stars/Red Wings

Derian Hatcher (born June 4, 1972 in Sterling Heights, Michigan, USA) is a professional ice hockey defenceman for the Philadelphia Flyers. He served as the Flyer's Captain for the later-half of the 2005-06 season, assisted by Simon Gagne and Sami Kapanen.

Derian Hatcher is known as a physical defenceman and a strong bodychecker and uses his intimidating size (6'5", 235 lb.) to good effect. He was drafted in the 1st Round as the 8th Overall selection by the Minnesota North Stars in the 1990 NHL Entry Draft and scored in his NHL debut game on 12 October 1991. Hatcher played for the North Stars and went with them when they moved to Dallas in 1993.

He played another 10 years for the Dallas Stars, collecting 71 goals, 223 assists, 1,380 penalty minutes, and captained the Stars to the Stanley Cup in 1999. In doing so, he became the first American born Captain to win the Stanley Cup. In July 2003, Hatcher signed with the Detroit Red Wings for a five-year $30 million contract.

In 2004, due to the cancellation of the NHL season, Hatcher, along with fellow Detroit Red Wings teammates Chris Chelios and Kris Draper, decided to play minor league hockey with the Motor City Mechanics based out of Fraser, Michigan.

On 2 August 2005, Hatcher signed with the Philadelphia Flyers after his contract with Detroit was nullified due to the new salary cap.

Despite his parting from the Red Wings, Hatcher continues to call Michigan home. Hatcher also owns a bar/restaurant, named "Hatchy's", on Auburn Road in downtown Utica, MI along with his brother Kevin.

On 29 January 2006, Hatcher was named captain of the Philadelphia Flyers. He will serve as captain until the return to the lineup of Keith Primeau.

On his style of play and reputation of being a feared player: “I am a hard-hitting and physical player. I find through the years the more people talk about it, the more other players know you are on the ice. It actually helps you. It's definitely a good reputation to have. Players really know you are on the ice and they have their heads up a little more.” Hockey Digest
Old 09-06-2006, 05:59 PM   #505
JCMElway
Moderate-erator

Dominate!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Oleg

Breck Bronc is on the clock at 7 PM CST.

Bronc LB 52 may make two selections at any time.
Old 09-06-2006, 08:57 PM   #506
Clockwork Orange
Persona Non Grata

I seen him!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCMElway View Post

On his style of play and reputation of being a feared player: “I am a hard-hitting and physical player. I find through the years the more people talk about it, the more other players know you are on the ice. It actually helps you. It's definitely a good reputation to have. Players really know you are on the ice and they have their heads up a little more.” Hockey Digest
They keep their heads up because of your little habit of leading with your elbows, you ****ing momo.
Clockwork Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006, 09:12 PM   #507
Mtbrncofn
Ring of Famer

Mtbrncofn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006, 10:16 PM   #508
JCMElway
Moderate-erator

Dominate!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Oleg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clockwork Orange View Post
They keep their heads up because of your little habit of leading with your elbows, you ****ing momo.
Hey, if it gets a wingers attention.......

At least I didn't draft that turtling douchebag Lemeiux.
Old 09-06-2006, 10:35 PM   #509
Clockwork Orange
Persona Non Grata

I seen him!

Quote:

I didn't like that cheap shotting, face washing, tough behind my visor asshat either.

That knuckle dragging **** Hatcher has sent more players to the injured list with his elbows than Lemieux could have ever dreamed of. It shames me that his big, dumb, neanderthal ass was ever selected to represent Team USA.

I'm thankful that the new NHL is phasing him, and those like him, out of the league.
Old 09-06-2006, 10:50 PM   #510
JCMElway
Moderate-erator

Dominate!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Oleg

Quote:
I didn't like that cheap shotting, face washing, tough behind my visor asshat either.

That knuckle dragging **** Hatcher has sent more players to the injured list with his elbows than Lemieux could have ever dreamed of. It shames me that his big, dumb, neanderthal ass was ever selected to represent Team USA.

I'm thankful that the new NHL is phasing him, and those like him, out of the league.
CW, I just wish you'd speak your mind. It's OK to express your opinions. How do you really feel about Hatcher?

You may not like him, but you must admit that other teams have to account for this guys nastiness. It gets other teams thinking and out of their gameplan. It may not always be the most sportsmanlike, but that's hockey. He's also a bit more old school in the toughness department. I like that.

It's his perchant to rough folks up that made me select him. I like to have at least one guy on my team that everybody else hates. Guys like Gretzky and Sellane better have their head on a swivel when Hatcher is on the ice!

Last edited by JCMElway; 09-06-2006 at 10:52 PM..
Old 09-06-2006, 11:02 PM   #511
Clockwork Orange
Persona Non Grata

I seen him!

Quote:
You may not like him, but you must admit that other teams have to account for this guys nastiness.
Of course they do, it's the reason why they do that's the bigger problem. Get ready for a rant......

That being that the NHL doesn't police it's players. NHL suspensions are a joke, no player is worried about the consequences of sending an opposing player to the hospital with a cheap shot. Claude Lemieux got two games for crushing Kris Draper's face. Bryan Marchment has been repeatedly slapped on the wrist for repeatedly taking part in dangerous and malicious acts on the ice ranging from knee on knee hits to spearing. Ruslan Salei sent Mike Modano face first into the boards in a position so awkward that I was amazed that his neck wasn't broken......Salei got two games for it. Todd Bertuzzi got 20 games for ending Steve Moore's career. On and on and on.

I don't agree with Brett Hull about much, but he really nailed it after that hit on Modano. His response to the suspension was, "I guess they're gonna wait until someone gets killed to do something about this stuff."

It's been a problem in the NHL for years and players like Hatcher have been the beneficieries of the non-existant discipline from the league office.

Anyway, on with the draft!
Old 09-06-2006, 11:17 PM   #512
JCMElway
Moderate-erator

Dominate!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Oleg

Very nice rant. And well put. That being said, Hatcher has a place on this team and in this draft. When he's not being an a-hole, his forechecking is tough, he is usually in position to make a play, he's solid on the blue line, and he does inspire confidence within his own locker room.

And Scotty Bowman is my coach. He likes agressive play, but definetly has the will and reputation to keep Hatcher in check.
Old 09-06-2006, 11:22 PM   #513
Killericon
Front 7, Please

Adopt-a-Bronco:
watermock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jori View Post
I'm going new school with this pick...a guy I think will be the next great defensemen in the NHL.

The Colorado Rockies are proud to select:

D Dion Phaneuf
To recap, I own a mere two Hockey Jerseys. Of course, I own 8 football jerseys, and Nash's Suns Jersey, but only 2 hockey jerseys.

Dion Phaneuf's and Stan Mikita's.

Methinks that I may have to have you killed, Jori.

Nice to know that you think he's gonna retire with a cabinet full of Norris Trophies as well.
Killericon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2006, 01:14 AM   #514
24champ
Bring back Kubiak!

Keep Calm and Chive on

Adopt-a-Bronco:
DomCasual

Quote:
Of course they do, it's the reason why they do that's the bigger problem. Get ready for a rant......

That being that the NHL doesn't police it's players. NHL suspensions are a joke, no player is worried about the consequences of sending an opposing player to the hospital with a cheap shot. Claude Lemieux got two games for crushing Kris Draper's face. Bryan Marchment has been repeatedly slapped on the wrist for repeatedly taking part in dangerous and malicious acts on the ice ranging from knee on knee hits to spearing. Ruslan Salei sent Mike Modano face first into the boards in a position so awkward that I was amazed that his neck wasn't broken......Salei got two games for it. Todd Bertuzzi got 20 games for ending Steve Moore's career. On and on and on.

I don't agree with Brett Hull about much, but he really nailed it after that hit on Modano. His response to the suspension was, "I guess they're gonna wait until someone gets killed to do something about this stuff."

It's been a problem in the NHL for years and players like Hatcher have been the beneficieries of the non-existant discipline from the league office.

Anyway, on with the draft!
Yeah let's just copy the IRL and those other racing leagues by putting foam on the boards so the players are safer from idiots. There is always going to be an idiot/enforcer out there to do damage, this has been going on in the NHL since its inception man come on...
24champ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2006, 01:20 AM   #515
Clockwork Orange
Persona Non Grata

I seen him!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 24champbailey View Post
Yeah let's just copy the IRL and those other racing leagues by putting foam on the boards so the players are safer from idiots. There is always going to be an idiot/enforcer out there to do damage, this has been going on in the NHL since its inception man come on...
Thanks for missing the point entirely. I never said a word about enforcers.

I was talking about the league cracking down on the dangerous cheap shots like hits from behind, knee on knee shots, etc. You know, stuff that can cause major damage without the use of the stick (the only thing the league seems to deem as dangerous)?

Anyway, this is an issue for a separate thread. On with the draft.

Last edited by Clockwork Orange; 09-07-2006 at 01:36 AM..
Old 09-07-2006, 01:59 AM   #516
Breck Bronc
Roland Deschain

The Gunslinger

Quote:

The four-time Stanley Cup champion, clutch playoff performer, turtler, Lemieux. Don't denigrate my pick.

Back to my pick, I need an offensive minded defenseman to team with the hard hitting Vasiliev on my third defensive pair. The pickings are getting slim on the blueline, but I think this guy is a little overlooked because he's now an overweight coach for the Anaheim Ducks. The Denver Spurs will select D - Randy Carlyle (Maple Leafs, Penguins, Jets).

Carlyle was one of the few Norris Trophy winners left on the board and currently sits 25th on the all-time defensive scoring list. He played his best hockey with the pre-Mario Penguins of the late-70's and early-80's.

Breck Bronc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2006, 02:04 AM   #517
24champ
Bring back Kubiak!

Keep Calm and Chive on

Adopt-a-Bronco:
DomCasual

Quote:
Thanks for missing the point entirely. I never said a word about enforcers.

I was talking about the league cracking down on the dangerous cheap shots like hits from behind, knee on knee shots, etc. You know, stuff that can cause major damage without the use of the stick (the only thing the league seems to deem as dangerous)?

Anyway, this is an issue for a separate thread. On with the draft.
Ok I see your point better but given the history of the NHL, they have never "cracked down on cheap shots". Just the way they operate, everyone says Bertuzzi should be gone he wasn't, same was said about Mcsorely. Cheap shots happen in this game and will always happen unfortunately.
Old 09-07-2006, 02:28 AM   #518
Clockwork Orange
Persona Non Grata

I seen him!

My next selection will be my backup goaltender, who just so happens to be the greatest American goaltender of all time, G - Mike Richter(Rangers)

Sorry Pavel, that door's closed.

Alexander Ovechkin-Peter Forsberg-Mike Bossy
Aurel Joliat-Sergei Fedorov-Teemu Selanne
Markus Naslund-Gilbert Perrault-Daniel Alfredsson
LW-Howie Morenz-Jere Lehtinen

Bobby Orr-Scott Stevens
Chris Pronger-Sergei Zubov
Mattias Norstrom-D

Vladislav Tretiak
Mike Richter
Old 09-07-2006, 02:40 AM   #519
Killericon
Front 7, Please

Adopt-a-Bronco:
watermock

Quote:
My next selection will be my backup goaltender, who just so happens to be the greatest American goaltender of all time, G - Mike Richter(Rangers)
I am hereby legally obligated, as a Canadian Kariya fan, to post this pic.

Old 09-07-2006, 09:57 PM   #520
JCMElway
Moderate-erator

Dominate!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Oleg

Hey Killer, who the hell is up? I've lost track.
Old 09-07-2006, 10:04 PM   #521
Mtbrncofn
Ring of Famer

I'm up. I'll get my pick up in a few.
Old 09-07-2006, 10:25 PM   #522
Mtbrncofn
Ring of Famer

Ok, with very few choices being left on Defense, I'll select D Eric Desjardins ( Habs, Flyers ).
Old 09-08-2006, 07:42 AM   #523
Killericon
Front 7, Please

Adopt-a-Bronco:
watermock

24champbailey is on the clock with 2 picks.
Old 09-09-2006, 01:10 PM   #524
24champ
Bring back Kubiak!

Keep Calm and Chive on

Adopt-a-Bronco:
DomCasual

The Kings select coach Glen Sather to take the helm...

Quote:
During September, 1997, Glen "Slats" Sather became the first member of the Edmonton Oilers organization to be inducted into the Hockey Hall of Fame.

The native of High River, Alberta, had come full circle with the franchise that put Edmonton on the map. After coaching the Oilers to a record of 95-76-7 in three seasons in the World Hockey Association, Sather remained at the helm when the club entered the National Hockey League (NHL) in 1979-80.

He would stay behind the bench for 11 seasons, coaching the Oilers to four Stanley Cups during that span. Edmonton won a fifth Cup in 1990 with Sather as the general manager. He would become the Oilers’ bench boss one last time in 1993-94 before leaving the organization’s front office on May 19, 2000.

In 842 regular season NHL games as the Oilers’ coach, Sather compiled a record of 464-268-110, ranking him seventh on the all-time coaching list for wins. In 127 Stanley Cup playoff games, Sather posted a record of 89-37-1, which ranks fourth on the all-time coaching list for playoff wins. He received the Jack Adams Trophy as the NHL’s Coach of the Year in 1985-86.

In light of his endless accolades, it is ironic that Sather was actually being used as a scapegoat when he was hired to coach the Oilers near the end of their 1976-77 season in the World Hockey Association (WHA).

With just 18 games left, the Oilers trailed Calgary for the final playoff spot in their division. Sather, the Oilers’ captain at the time, was suddenly made player/coach by general manager Bep Guidolin.
Sather would later say Guidolin needed a "scapegoat" behind the bench to accept management’s wrath for another poor season. But the Oilers would reach the playoffs under Sather, who became inspired to coach full-time.

It would be a great career move. Although Sather was known as a hard-nosed player in the NHL and WHA, he is remembered most for his work behind the bench and in the front office as the Oilers’ general manager for 21 seasons.

The ‘80s Oilers

Sather recalls the first time he saw Wayne Gretzky occurred when the Oilers first played Gretzky's original team, the Indianapolis Racers.

"I thought Wayne must be a stick boy or some kid who hung around with the team," he told Milt Dunnell of the Toronto Star. "Then, the game started and he went around one of our veterans like he was a lamp post."

When the Oilers acquired Gretzky and Sather was the general manager, Sather knew he had to surround his superstar with players who suited his creative, offensive-oriented style. Sather built the Oilers of the ‘80s around speed, finesse and a high-tempo passing game that saw the defencemen jump into the attack. Sather would also use offensive stars Gretzky and Jari Kurri as penalty killers, which led to shorthanded goals.

A Coach Who Cared

Mark Messier, an Edmonton native, was the heart and soul of the dynasty. His character was undeniably shaped by Sather, whose coaching success was undeniably shaped by Messier.

Glen SatherSather used Messier early in his career to set a precedent. Messier had missed a team flight to St. Louis and Sather subsequently demoted him to the Oilers’ Central League farm team in Houston. Messier notched three assists in four games and Sather promptly promoted him back to Edmonton.

In a separate incident, after Messier was an established star, Sather ripped into him after a practice. In response, a shaken Messier yelled back at Sather in front of the entire team.

"Afterward, Messier was teary-eyed and emotional," wrote Rick Carpiniello in Messier, "Sather took back everything he’d said."

"In front of the entire team, he admitted he was wrong. He made sure to point out to the team how much he respected Messier. The next time the Oilers were together, all of the players talked about the Messier-Sather set-to and how important that moment might have been in the team’s history."

Former Oilers defenceman Jeff Beukeboom recalls the epic exchange in Carpiniello’s book.

"It was so strong," said Beukeboom. "Everything that happened at that instance affected the team tenfold. Slats is always proud and confident, and it’s the only time I’ve ever seen him back down a little bit from anyone."

In Carpiniello’s book, Beukeboom credits Sather for his player-development abilities.

Glen Sather"He was on his toes around his players and trying to teach them that little bit extra, or always trying to test them in a good, positive way."

"He always tried to get the best out of his players. When you needed to be brought down a notch, he was always willing to do that, also."

Beukeboom also stressed Sather’s knack for influencing his players off the ice.

"He tried to teach you an attitude, a way of carrying yourself, a way of being a professional on and off the ice that made you a stronger, confident, and better person and player overall."

National notice

Sather also coached Team Canada on a couple of occasions, guiding his country to a Canada Cup championship in 1984. He also served as the general manager and coach of Team Canada in the 1996 World Cup of Hockey.

After a 24-year career with the Oilers, Sather became the 12th president and 10th general manager of the New York Rangers on June 1, 2000. Sather became the team’s coach after he unceremoniously fired Bryan Trottier during the 2002-03 season.
Old 09-09-2006, 01:15 PM   #525
24champ
Bring back Kubiak!

Keep Calm and Chive on

Adopt-a-Bronco:
DomCasual

I like that in my coach, I dont think there is any coach besides Sather that can make Messier cry.

Second pick coming up shortly!