The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 08-30-2006, 04:13 PM   #376
Victor
The Dude Abides

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Eric Decker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pendejo View Post
I've been working on "Fierce Invalids Home from Hot Climates" by Tom Robbins off and on since January. I shall defeat this book...eventually.

Anyone ever read Henry Miller's "Tropic of Cancer"? I can't get through the first fifteen pages.
I got through Tropic of Cancer. It's definitely somewhat stream of consciousness. I still remember him comparing a prostitutes privates to a valise...what a metaphor. Is this the same Paris of Hemingway's "movable feast"? Hard to believe. It reminded me more of "Naked Lunch" than anything else.

The book I struggled to finish was Rand's "Atlas Shrugged". That was on my nightstand for over three years before I finished.
Victor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2006, 08:39 PM   #377
No1BroncoFan
Old School

If you have to ask, you don't know

Currently I'm re-reading "Terminal Cafè" by Ian McDonald. It's one I read years ago and is a great read.

I made a great discovery at the local thrift store today. I've been wanting to read some of the sci-fi classics that I've heard of for years, but have never made the time for. I found a hard bound omnibus of "The Time Machine," "The Island of Doctor Moreau," "The Invisible Man" and "The War of the Worlds" by H. G. Wells in excellent condition for a mere $2.00. I have, of course, seen all the movies in at least one (usually two or three) of their incarnations. It should be a lot of fun to go through the originals.

I also found a hard bound (fifth printing, unfortunately) copy of "Red Storm Rising."

Ben
No1BroncoFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2006, 09:26 PM   #378
scorpio
Cubicle Pimp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victor View Post
I got through Tropic of Cancer. It's definitely somewhat stream of consciousness. I still remember him comparing a prostitutes privates to a valise...what a metaphor. Is this the same Paris of Hemingway's "movable feast"? Hard to believe. It reminded me more of "Naked Lunch" than anything else.

The book I struggled to finish was Rand's "Atlas Shrugged". That was on my nightstand for over three years before I finished.
The Fountainhead is even worse than Atlas Shrugged. Stay away, unless you have to write an essay on it.
scorpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2006, 09:27 PM   #379
scorpio
Cubicle Pimp

Quote:
Originally Posted by No1BroncoFan View Post
Currently I'm re-reading "Terminal Cafè" by Ian McDonald. It's one I read years ago and is a great read.

I made a great discovery at the local thrift store today. I've been wanting to read some of the sci-fi classics that I've heard of for years, but have never made the time for. I found a hard bound omnibus of "The Time Machine," "The Island of Doctor Moreau," "The Invisible Man" and "The War of the Worlds" by H. G. Wells in excellent condition for a mere $2.00. I have, of course, seen all the movies in at least one (usually two or three) of their incarnations. It should be a lot of fun to go through the originals.

I also found a hard bound (fifth printing, unfortunately) copy of "Red Storm Rising."

Ben
"Red Storm Rising" is probably my favorite Clancy novel, maybe second only to "Without Remorse"
scorpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2006, 10:42 PM   #380
No1BroncoFan
Old School

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpio View Post
"Red Storm Rising" is probably my favorite Clancy novel, maybe second only to "Without Remorse"
"Red Storm Rising" is definately a great one, and for two bucks it's a great replacement for my paperback copy. It's in great shape. I think it's gonna have to wait for a while though. I've been hankerin' for some Tolkien lately and I think after the Wells omnibus I'm gonna re-read "The Hobbit" and "The Lord of the Rings" yet again. I really need to get HB copies of those. I keep wearing the soft covers out.

Ben
Old 08-31-2006, 09:20 AM   #381
Orange_Beard
Over Jay Cutler

Todd Snider Rules!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tony Scheffler

I just started:
Million Dollar Baby: Stories from the Corner by F. X. Toole
The book was orginally called "Rope Burns" and was rebranded because of the one story being made in the movie.
It has been great.
Orange_Beard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2006, 09:34 AM   #382
Victor
The Dude Abides

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Eric Decker

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpio View Post
The Fountainhead is even worse than Atlas Shrugged. Stay away, unless you have to write an essay on it.
I cranked through the Fountainhead in no time at all. I actually enjoyed that much more than Atlas Shrugged...much less preaching about objectivism.

I'm just working through some good escapist assassin mysteries by Barry Eisler called Rain Fall and Hard Rain. Fun, cheap thrills.
Victor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 10:35 AM   #383
BroncoInferno
Ring of Famer

BroncoInferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 01:23 PM   #384
alkemical
Guerrilla Ontologist

rorrim|mirror

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Prima Materia

Middle Pillar by Israel Regardie
alkemical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2006, 04:41 AM   #385
L.A. BRONCOS FAN
Mo' holla fo' yo' dolla!

L.A. BRONCOS FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2006, 09:34 AM   #386
No1BroncoFan
Old School

Well, I finished the Wells omnibus. Wow. The guy was definately ahead of his time. Bit of a tough read though. He may have written in english, but anyone who thinks english of over 100 years ago is the same as today is kidding themselves. Also, "scientific romances" aren't my normal fare. Still, the stories were great and definately worth a read.

As much as I hate to admit it, the latest film version of "The War of the Worlds" follows the original story closer than any other version I've seen. Some of the particulars are wrong and Cruise's character is totally off base, but it's still very close.

I picked up some new ones (and one old one) at the library. I'm currently re-reading "Jumper" by Steven Gould, which I've mentioned before. I forgot just how good a read this one is. It kept me up until 4:00 am. He's written a sequal called "Reflex" that I'm anxious to get into. I also got "Limit of Vision" by Linda Nagata and a very well know classic of sci-fi, "2001: A Space Odyssey" by Arthur C. Clarke. I really need to get some Jules Verne.

Ben
Old 09-15-2006, 10:06 AM   #387
alkemical
Guerrilla Ontologist

rorrim|mirror

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Prima Materia

I have some british version of war of the worlds - it looks like a made for TV thing - but that was the closest i've found....
Old 09-15-2006, 10:09 AM   #388
mosca
grand pubah

honest optimism

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Bubby Brister

Quote:
Originally Posted by No1BroncoFan View Post
I also got "Limit of Vision" by Linda Nagata and a very well know classic of sci-fi, "2001: A Space Odyssey" by Arthur C. Clarke. I really need to get some Jules Verne.
On a side note concerning 2001, I thought this was really sad. The other day, at work, I mentioned the movie in casual conversation with a coworker and got a blank stare in response. Obviously this person didn't have a clue what "2001: A Space Odyssey" was. I proceeded to ask about 10 other people and only one had even -heard- of the movie, let alone seen it. Made me feel pretty old, and I'm 25. This truly is the ADD generation.
mosca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2006, 10:36 AM   #389
alkemical
Guerrilla Ontologist

rorrim|mirror

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Prima Materia

mosca,

i've seen the movie probably 5 times and i swear each time i see it - i don't remember half of it.

I still don't get it 100% - or maybe i do and i'm just not sure how to word it. Maybe that's why the movie is images and not dialogue.
Old 09-15-2006, 11:40 AM   #390
No1BroncoFan
Old School

Quote:
Originally Posted by mosca View Post
On a side note concerning 2001, I thought this was really sad. The other day, at work, I mentioned the movie in casual conversation with a coworker and got a blank stare in response. Obviously this person didn't have a clue what "2001: A Space Odyssey" was. I proceeded to ask about 10 other people and only one had even -heard- of the movie, let alone seen it. Made me feel pretty old, and I'm 25. This truly is the ADD generation.
Yep. It's sad that such a classic is overlooked by the modern generation. Sure, it doesn't have the frills and fluff of todays sci-fi movies, but the story is engrossing. Isn't that the point of any movie (or book)? To tell a story?
Quote:
Originally Posted by claviculasolomonis View Post
mosca,

i've seen the movie probably 5 times and i swear each time i see it - i don't remember half of it.

I still don't get it 100% - or maybe i do and i'm just not sure how to word it. Maybe that's why the movie is images and not dialogue.
But, you've seen it and remember seeing it. The sad part is the number of people who not only have never seen it, but can't remember even hearing of it.

I'm seriously looking forward to the book. As good as the movie was, the book will probably ruin the movie for me. It's gotta be great!

Ben
Old 09-15-2006, 12:45 PM   #391
alkemical
Guerrilla Ontologist

rorrim|mirror

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Prima Materia

it might be more.... illustrative than the movie in terms of not deciphering what kubrik was trying to "say"
Old 09-16-2006, 02:20 AM   #392
BroncoBuff

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MALIK+QUANTERUS

I'm on a Nietzche kick ... "The Nietzche Reader." It'd be interesting to compare his and Ayn Rand's philosophies. I sense there are a few parallels ...

Thus. Spoke. Zarathustra.

(coolest book title ever)
BroncoBuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2006, 12:33 PM   #393
broncocalijohn
Famer of Rings

I said Do It!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Simon Fletcher

Funny thing is I dont have time to read books but i sellnew books on ebay part time. I know James Patterson is really good and sell alot of his , Dean Koontz (Orange COunty guy) and Janet Evanovich (12 Sharp is really hot). I know i probably missing out but I did read all John Jakes novels North and South when I was 15 years old. God, I hope it hasnt been 21 years since. Well, if you need a newbook (and you know i never read it)........
broncocalijohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2006, 07:30 AM   #394
alkemical
Guerrilla Ontologist

rorrim|mirror

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Prima Materia

test
Old 10-01-2006, 10:01 PM   #395
No1BroncoFan
Old School

As I mentioned previously, I forgot just how good a read "Jumper" by Steven Gould, is. The sequal, called "Reflex," is not as good, but is still a very good read. "Limit of Vision" by Linda Nagata was also quite good. I haven't quite finished "2001: A Space Odyssey" yet, but it is one of the best sci-fi books I've ever read. It's odd though, that 2001 was based on the original screenplay, co-written by Kubrick, not the other way around. Still, the book is much better than the movie (while the movie is still a great one). There's so much detail that wasn't in the film, especially in the first half. The wole thing with the monkys now makes sense. Much of the hypothesising done by Clarke is amazingly accurate, especially considering it was written in 1967. I've never read much of Clarke's work having gotten caught up with the modern sci-fi writers. That's gonna change!

I also made a trip to the thrift store the other day and scored big time. "The Runaway Jury" by John Grisham, "Sole Survivor" by Dean Koontz, and "Dept of Honor," "Executive Orders," The Bear and the Dragon," "The Sum of all Fears" and "Clear and Present Danger" by Tom Clancy. All first editions, all for $11.00. Looks like I'm going on a Tom Clancy binge very soon.

Ben
Old 10-01-2006, 10:49 PM   #396
fido
Perennial Pro-bowler

Just read Ben Franklins autobiograpy, very good.
fido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2006, 11:18 PM   #397
Dagmar
...there ain't no devil

..there's just God when he's drunk.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tim Tebow

Dagmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 10:58 PM   #398
Pendejo
The off-season.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
"The Greek"

The last book I read was J.P. Donleavy's novella "The Saddest Summer of Samuel S". I admit I'm a mark for Donleavy's penchant for combining pure sadness and gut busting humour. Check out his classics "The Ginger Man", and "Singular Man".

I've also been reading Al Franken's "Lies and the Lying Liars Who Tell Them"...it's pretty funny.
Pendejo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 11:41 PM   #399
L.A. BRONCOS FAN
Mo' holla fo' yo' dolla!

Re-reading some light material, i.e., David Lee Roth's autobiography "Crazy from the Heat."

Lots of funny annecdotes and war stories.
L.A. BRONCOS FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2006, 07:13 PM   #400
No1BroncoFan
Old School

Well, I finished "The Runaway Jury" by John Grisham the other day and I'm about 2/3 of ther way through "Sole Survivor" by Dean Koontz. "The Runaway Jury" was a great read and I'm adding Grisham to my must read authors list. "Sole Survivor" has been good so far. Not one of his best works, but in the top half.

Ben