The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Other Sports Discussion > NHL
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 08-28-2006, 02:54 PM   #451
Killericon
Front 7, Please

Adopt-a-Bronco:
watermock

Jori is on the clock. -Slap- is on deck.
Killericon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2006, 05:41 PM   #452
Jori
US Olympian

The Colorado Rockies are proud to select:

RW Mark Recchi

The Colorado Rockies:

Johnny Bucyk/Stan Mikita/Maurice Richard
Michel Goulet/Pat LaFontaine/Mike Gartner
---/Dale Hawerchuk/Mark Recchi
---/Doug Gilmour/Pat Verbeek

Nicklas Lidstrom/ Serge Savard
Rod Langway/ Tim Horton

Terry Sawchuk
Jori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2006, 05:59 PM   #453
Killericon
Front 7, Please

Adopt-a-Bronco:
watermock

Can everyone do me a favour and message the person who's up after you, after you make your pick?

Please?

-Slap- is on the clock. I am on deck.

Last edited by Killericon; 08-28-2006 at 06:06 PM..
Old 08-28-2006, 06:41 PM   #454
-Slap-
Ring of Famer

D Ed Jovanovski Panthers/Canucks/Coyotes

Another banger for the blue line.
-Slap- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2006, 06:58 PM   #455
Mtbrncofn
Ring of Famer

Damnit, Slap.
Mtbrncofn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2006, 07:05 PM   #456
Killericon
Front 7, Please

Adopt-a-Bronco:
watermock

All this talk of enforcers, combined with the mocking of Eric Lindros, has made me desire a fighter...A thug, if you will. Who better than the all time leader in PIM?

Killericon selects LW Tiger Williams.

While most dominant images of Tiger Williams likely include him sitting in the penalty box, he had an offensive scoring talent which often went overlooked due to his penchant for pugilism. Williams played for three years with Swift Current of the Western Junior Hockey League. In his first season he scored 12 goals while assisting on 22 others, while compiling a staggering 278 minutes in penalties in 68 games. The next year he spent 12 minutes less time in the penalty box but improved his point production by an incredible 68 points, garnering 102 points on 44 goals and 56 assists. In his final year with Swift Current, Tiger amassed 52 goals and 56 assists for 108 points while spending 310 minutes in the sin bin.
Tiger was chosen 31st overall in the 2nd round of the 1974 NHL entry draft by the Toronto Maple Leafs. He was also a 3rd round selection, 33rd overall, of the Cincinnati Stingers of the WHA, but Tiger's dream was to play in the NHL. He played four full seasons in Toronto and parts of two others, where he became a huge fan favourite. Along with his many entertaining skirmishes with other notable NHL tough guys, Tiger also brought the fans out of their seats, when, after scoring a goal, he would ride his hockey stick down the length of the ice, much to the annoyance of the opposing players. He was also one of the few players Maple Leafs' owner Harold Ballard seemed to like.
When all was said and done in a 14-year NHL career, Tiger was the league's all-time leader in penalty minutes with 3,966. He also collected an additional 455 minutes during the playoffs. To this day Williams will argue he did not deserve half the penalties he was assessed by NHL referees. Then again, there are quite a few who insist he should have been given more!
He averaged nearly 20 goals a year, and had his best year in 1980-81 with the Vancouver Canucks, when he netted 35 goals and 27 assists. That year he represented Vancouver in the mid-season All-Star game. After a little more than four years with the Canucks he moved on to play in 55 games with the Detroit Red Wings, where his penalty minutes continued to dominate the stats sheet, but his offensive production tailed off considerably. Williams had 158 penalty minutes but only three goals and eight assists.
The next stop for Tiger was another West Coast club, this time with the Kings in Los Angeles. He had two reasonably productive years for the Kings, scoring 49 and 34 points in the 1985-86 and 1986-87 campaigns. And, true to form, he continued his long-standing friendship with the penalty box, spending 320 and 358 minutes in the box during those two seasons.
The final NHL destination for Williams was Hartford, where he appeared in 26 games for the Whalers in 1987-88, scoring six goals and 87 penalty minutes. At the age of 34, he found the rigors of everyday NHL life had finally caught up to him, so retired soon thereafter.
Tiger's final NHL statistics are as follows: 962 regular-season games played, 241 goals, 272 assists, 513 points and a record 3,966 minutes in penalties. He appeared in 83 playoff contests, scoring 12 goals and 23 assists.
When asked who he considered some of his more difficult NHL fighting adversaries, Williams responded "all of them." Although he does say players such as Terry O'Reilly deserve the most respect, playing every third shift of every NHL game while also having to handle the rough and tumble side of things. Dave Semenko, the former Edmonton Oilers policeman, is also highly regarded by Williams.
Now that Tiger is out of hockey, he follows many different business interests, primarily in the Vancouver area. He continues to play in NHL old-timers games and remains close friends with many of his former teammates, most notably Darryl Sittler and Lanny McDonald.

Enforcer, eh?

Last edited by Killericon; 08-28-2006 at 07:18 PM..
Old 08-28-2006, 07:17 PM   #457
Mtbrncofn
Ring of Famer

Every time you post lb52's picks, the font gets bigger and bigger.
Old 08-28-2006, 07:19 PM   #458
Killericon
Front 7, Please

Adopt-a-Bronco:
watermock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtbrncofn View Post
Every time you post lb52's picks, the font gets bigger and bigger.
It's come to a head...I'm at 7. Unless it can go higher and the list doesn't include them. It's kinda frustrating...The guy who replaced the guy who missed all of his picks is missing all of his picks.

In any case, my private message got through this time.
Old 08-28-2006, 09:06 PM   #459
-Slap-
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Damnit, Slap.
Ironically, I was going to select Brind'Amour with this pick, but he came off the board a couple picks before me.

Wanna trade?
Old 08-28-2006, 10:51 PM   #460
Mtbrncofn
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Slap- View Post
Ironically, I was going to select Brind'Amour with this pick, but he came off the board a couple picks before me.

Wanna trade?

Well sheesh, who did that? I'd be up for it.
Old 08-29-2006, 12:24 AM   #461
-Slap-
Ring of Famer

Cool.

Icon, could you transfer Jovo-Cop to Mt's roster and give me Brind'Amour?
Old 08-29-2006, 01:50 AM   #462
Killericon
Front 7, Please

Adopt-a-Bronco:
watermock

Quote:
Cool.

Icon, could you transfer Jovo-Cop to Mt's roster and give me Brind'Amour?
Straight up? Or were picks exchanged as well?
Old 08-29-2006, 06:08 AM   #463
Bronco LB 59
Ring of Famer

Keep your head up dog

Bill Gadsby

D

Mark Howe

D

Hartford, Philadelphia, Detroit
Bronco LB 59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006, 06:10 AM   #464
Bronco LB 59
Ring of Famer

Keep your head up dog

Toe Blake

LW

Sidney Crosby

C

Pittsburgh
Bronco LB 59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006, 11:18 AM   #465
Mtbrncofn
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by killericon View Post
Straight up? Or were picks exchanged as well?
Straight up. Rod the Bod for JovoCop.
Old 08-29-2006, 11:43 AM   #466
-Slap-
Ring of Famer

Who ya picking number one in the Geek League, Montana?

Old 08-29-2006, 01:36 PM   #467
Killericon
Front 7, Please

Adopt-a-Bronco:
watermock

Killericon selects C Darryl Sittler. I can't believe he was still around.

Born in 1950 in Kitchener, Ontario, one of eight children in the Sittler family, Darryl first played his way to prominence with the London Knights of the Ontario Hockey Association. Sittler played a determined game and the Leafs made him the eighth pick overall in the 1970 Entry Draft. He saw limited action in his first pro season in 1970-71 and had an unremarkable sophomore year. In 1972-73, he began to establish himself as an offensive star, finishing with 77 points - a total he would better in all but three of his subsequent 12 seasons in the NHL. The Leafs were in a rebuilding phase early in his career and many veterans either retired or were traded. When Dave Keon moved to the World Hockey Association, the 24-year-old Sittler took over the captain's duties, becoming the second-youngest captain in Leafs history after Teeder Kennedy.

Sittler had an incredible year in 1975-76. On February 7, 1976, he produced the greatest offensive game in the history of the National Hockey League, guaranteeing his place in the record books even after Wayne Gretzky had come and gone. Toronto was hosting the Boston Bruins, a team on a seven-game winning streak. The Bruins had recently reacquired Gerry Cheevers, but coach Don Cherry wanted to give the goalie a rest before his upcoming Boston homecoming and started rookie netminder Dave Reece instead. The Leafs beat up the Bruins 11-4, but Sittler was the big story. He had two assists in the first period, three goals and two assists in the second and another hat trick in the third. The total of six goals and four assists set a league record for points in one game that had previously been held by Maurice "Rocket" Richard with eight.

The big night helped Sittler become the first Leaf to reach the 100 mark in scoring in a season, collecting 41 goals and 59 assists. But he wasn't finished. During the playoffs in April against the Philadelphia Flyers, Sittler scored five goals in one game, tying the playoff record. In September, during the Canada Cup in Montreal, Sittler would make headlines again with his scoring ways. This time it wasn't the quantity but the quality and the timeliness that made the impression. In overtime of the second game of the best-of-three finals versus Czechoslovakia, Sittler held onto the puck on a partial breakaway until Czech goalie Vladimir Dzurilla committed himself and an opening presented itself. The goal secured the championship and made Sittler an overnight hero in Canada.

In 1977-78, Sittler registered 117 points and was selected to the league's Second All-Star Team. The Leafs had their best playoff showing in years, making it to the semi-finals. But things began to fall apart, for the franchise and for its captain, in 1979-80 when cantankerous owner Harold Ballard replaced much of his management, bringing in Punch Imlach to run the team.

Sittler was represented by Alan Eagleson, a lawyer and agent who never saw eye to eye with Ballard or Imlach. Relations were strained to the point that Sittler took a pair of scissors to the "C" on his sweater before a game in late 1979 to protest, among other things, the trade of Lanny McDonald to the Colorado Rockies. Ballard then threatened to lock Sittler out before the beginning of the next season. The two men resolved some of their differences and Sittler returned as captain, but it was a tenuous reconciliation. Midway through the 1981-82 season, Sittler went AWOL and demanded a trade. He was depressed and worn out from his battles with management in Toronto. In January he was sent to the Philadelphia Flyers, a one-time nemesis but a team that nonetheless had a great deal of respect for Sittler.

After recovering from the nasty divorce with the Leafs, Sittler had a great season in 1982-83, netting 83 points and a spot in the All-Star Game. He was shocked when Philadelphia traded him to the Detroit Red Wings before the 1984-85 season. Unsure if he wanted to continue and move his family to yet another city, Sittler refused to report for five days. He did end up playing one year with Detroit, though at times he struggled to find a place in the lineup. He retired after the season. Darryl Sittler was inducted into the Hockey Hall of Fame in 1989. Two years later he returned to the Toronto Maple Leafs, this time working in the club's management in marketing and public relations.

Yet another reunited pair.

Calgary Blackhawks Starting Roster.

1st Scoring Line:

LW - Paul Kariya
C - Denis Savard
RW - Cam Neely

2nd Scoring Line:

LW - Lanny McDonald
C - Joe Nieuwendyk
RW - Dino Ciccarelli

3rd Scoring Line:

LW - Dany Heatley
C - Daryl Sittler
RW - Theo Fleury

Checking Line:

LW - Tiger Williams
C - Eric Lindros
RW -

Defensive Pair 1:

D - Paul Coffey
D - Rob Blake

Defensive Pair 2:

D - Raymond Bourque
D -

Defensive Pair 3:

D - Doug Wilson
D -

Goalies:

1 - Tony Esposito
2 -

Head Coach -

Captain - Raymond Bourque
Alternate - Paul Kariya
Alternate - Paul Coffey
Alternate - Cam Neely

Last edited by Killericon; 08-29-2006 at 02:04 PM..
Old 08-29-2006, 01:56 PM   #468
Mtbrncofn
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Who ya picking number one in the Geek League, Montana?

I've never had the number 1 pick and I've wanted it so badly for a long time. Now I've got it and I'm not sure I want it. I drafted 10th last night and thought that was going to completely suck ass and I think I had a really good draft. With my luck, all my number 1's will go down within the first few weeks.

I'm leaning toward LJ.
Old 08-29-2006, 03:49 PM   #469
-Slap-
Ring of Famer

D - Zdeno Chára (Senators, Islanders, Bruins)

Old 08-29-2006, 04:25 PM   #470
Jori
US Olympian

The Colorado Rockies are proud to select:

D Wade Redden

The Colorado Rockies:

Johnny Bucyk/Stan Mikita/Maurice Richard
Michel Goulet/Pat LaFontaine/Mike Gartner
---/Dale Hawerchuk/Mark Recchi
---/Doug Gilmour/Pat Verbeek

Nicklas Lidstrom/ Serge Savard
Rod Langway/ Tim Horton
Wade Redden/--

Terry Sawchuk
--
Jori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006, 05:16 PM   #471
-Slap-
Ring of Famer

Quote:
I've never had the number 1 pick and I've wanted it so badly for a long time. Now I've got it and I'm not sure I want it. I drafted 10th last night and thought that was going to completely suck ass and I think I had a really good draft. With my luck, all my number 1's will go down within the first few weeks.

I'm leaning toward LJ.
You'll probably be even happier on Monday. Having a top three pick this year is huge.
Old 08-29-2006, 11:59 PM   #472
JCMElway
Moderate-erator

Dominate!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Oleg

Those Cheap Bastards select:

Steve Shutt, LW, Canadiens/Kings

During his rookie season in 1972-73, Shutt played well on a deep club that went on to win the Stanley Cup. He continued to progress the following year before breaking out with 30 goals in 1974-75 while playing on a line with Pete Mahovlich and Guy Lafleur. The big center Mahovlich was deceptively quick, and Lafleur's natural speed and style tormented the opposition. This gave Shutt sufficient room to fly up and down his wing and release his patented shots. He was also used effectively as the point man on the powerplay since he was able to direct the puck along the ice at high speeds. The trio was so successful that Mahovlich set a Canadiens single-season record for a center with 117 points in 1974-75.

Shutt improved to 45 goals in 1975-76 and the Habs began a four-year Stanley Cup run. A few months later he helped his country win the inaugural Canada Cup. Shutt showcased a wide scoring arsenal ? a superior wrist shot and slapshot, and cat-like reflexes that enabled him to tip shots from the point and pounce on rebounds.

In 1976-77, the fleet scorer was partnered with Jacques Lemaire and Guy Lafleur to form the top line in the NHL. Their offensive dominance helped Montreal post the greatest regular season in league history with an astonishing 60-8-12 record. That year Shutt led the NHL with 60 goals and in the process set a new league and team record for left wingers that remained the NHL standard until Luc Robitaille's 63-goal performance in 1992-93. Following the season, he was placed on the NHL's First All-Star Team.

The next year he helped Montreal win its third consecutive Cup by registering a personal best of nine goals and 17 points in the playoffs. Despite the end of the Habs Cup run, Shutt continued to shine. The team remained successful in the regular season and he was paired with the likes of Mark Napier, Doug Wickenheiser, John Chabot and Perry Turnbull. Early in the 1984-85 season, Shutt was traded to the Los Angeles Kings. He recorded 41 points in 59 games, but after 930 regular-season games, he'd had enough of the rigors of the NHL. Shutt retired with 424 goals and in 1993 was elected to the Hockey Hall of Fame.

Following his playing career, the effervescent Shutt worked as a television commentator. In 1993-94, he returned to Montreal as an assistant coach and worked there until the end of the 1996-97 season.
JCMElway is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2006, 12:01 AM   #473
JCMElway
Moderate-erator

Dominate!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Oleg

Breck Bronc is on the clock On Tuesday, 11:54 PM CST.
JCMElway is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2006, 06:06 PM   #474
Breck Bronc
Roland Deschain

The Gunslinger

I'll take C - Guy Carbonneau (Candiens, Blues, Stars).

Guy is a three time Stanley Cup champion and three time Selke award winner. He's one of the best defensive forwards in NHL history and will be centering my shut down defensive forward line.
Breck Bronc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2006, 08:18 PM   #475
Clockwork Orange
Persona Non Grata

I seen him!

I'll select D - Mattias Norstrom(Rangers, Kings).

Clockwork Orange is offline   Reply With Quote