The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Other Sports Discussion > MLB
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 08-17-2006, 03:46 PM   #1
RhymesayersDU
Go Broncos, Nuggets, Rox

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ty Lawson
Default Why Is It OK To Fight In Baseball?

Hi folks,

I want to preface this thread by saying I've just recently gotten into baseball. I never really liked it, I only used to watch the playoffs, and even then very sparingly. But since I got to spend this summer in Denver, I decided to make it a point to follow the hometown boys. I even went to the Rockies/D'Backs game last night, but that is besides the point.

The point of this thread concerns the Rangers/Angels fiasco. These guys are beaning people left and right, getting into bench-clearing brawls, etc. The question was brought up on Around The Horn today: Why is fighting "a part of baseball" as some say, and basically allowed?

In the NFL, NBA, and NHL, you are immediately suspended and fined for fighting, and furthermore you are immediately suspended and fined if you leave your bench to join a fight.

Conversely, nothing really happens to baseball players. Benches can clear, relief pitchers can even sprint across the outfield to join in.

So what do you guys think? I'll again state that I don't have a sense of baseball history, I don't know a whole lot about the game. But just as a sports fan in general, it does seem odd that baseball basically allows fighting.

Thoughts?
RhymesayersDU is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-17-2006, 05:22 PM   #2
Clockwork Orange
Persona Non Grata

I seen him!

First thing, gotta point out a factual inaccuracy in your post. There is no suspension simply for fighting in hockey, just the mandatory 5 minute major penalty. Leaving the bench to get into a fight, on the other hand, is an automatic 10 game suspension in the NHL. The reason for that being that bench clearing brawls used to be so common that the only way to put an end to it was a swift, harsh punishment.

Fighting isn't technically "allowed" in baseball. Benches clear without any real fight taking place and that kind of thing generally goes unpunished. Throwing punches or any other kind of physical altercation will get you suspended as well it should.

My problem is that hitters today are far too sensitive. If they get plunked on the foot with an 0-2 curveball, they're staring out at the mound and jawing at the pitcher. Pitchers have basically had the inside corner of the plate taken away from them by hyper-sensitive hitters who treat every inside pitch as if it's an insult to their family and umpires who pander to them by issuing warnings for no real reason. A lot of these bench clearing incidents start because of this and would be prevented if hitters would stop acting like babies every time a pitch comes in on them.

I know I trailed off the subject a bit there, but that's something that's been bothering me for quite some time.
Clockwork Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2006, 05:59 PM   #3
RhymesayersDU
Go Broncos, Nuggets, Rox

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ty Lawson

Interesting take, CO. And thanks for the hockey correction.

So, would you say that an emphasis on offense is what is leading to this, much like the NFL's making a WR basically untouchable by a CB? I mean, is giving hitters the ability to take away the inside plate, issuing warnings to pitchers for no reason, etc, a ratings move?
RhymesayersDU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2006, 07:15 AM   #4
-Slap-
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RhymesayersDU
Interesting take, CO. And thanks for the hockey correction.

So, would you say that an emphasis on offense is what is leading to this, much like the NFL's making a WR basically untouchable by a CB? I mean, is giving hitters the ability to take away the inside plate, issuing warnings to pitchers for no reason, etc, a ratings move?
Its not about ratings. Its about the entire culture we have now. These mental midgets feel like they're being disrespected or shown up when the pitcher throws inside. Its just more of the same stupid crap you see everywhere else in the world of sports today.
-Slap- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2006, 07:34 PM   #5
SouthStndJunkie
Ring of Famer

Shannon Says: Listen to The Junkman

If Bob Gibson pitched in today's era, there would be a brawl in every game he pitched.
SouthStndJunkie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2006, 08:22 PM   #6
OrangeShadow
armed

and dangerous

the MLB seriously needs to put their collective feet down. 20-25 games automaticlly for fighting
OrangeShadow is offline   Reply With Quote