The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Other Sports Discussion > MLB
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 08-10-2006, 09:47 PM   #1
Clockwork Orange
Persona Non Grata

I seen him!

Default When did it become OK to show up the opposing pitcher?

Seriously. There used to be an unwritten rule that you hit the ball, and even if you know it's long gone, you drop your bat and get moving around the bases. Any pausing to watch your shot would earn you one in the ribs in your next at bat. These days I see guys standing there admiring their work, flipping their bats up in the air and when they do get moving, they walk a few steps before beginning their home run trot with no retribution.

One thing I've always liked about baseball was that showboating and self-promotion were always frowned upon. Has the pussification of the game gone so far that hitters are now allowed to pose at the plate?

Does anyone find this acceptable? I sure don't, but then I've been accused of being old fashioned before.
Clockwork Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-11-2006, 09:29 AM   #2
-Slap-
Ring of Famer

Standing at home plate while you admired your home run pretty much started in the 70s with Reggie Jackson. I blame the pitchers of his day for not drilling him right in his ugly pumpkin head as payback.
-Slap- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2006, 04:11 PM   #3
Killericon
Front 7, Please

Adopt-a-Bronco:
watermock

It's only going to get worse.
Killericon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2006, 08:19 PM   #4
TDforTD
Just Drafted

Manny is terrible at that. He even does it when he doesn't hit a HR, which typically leads to him only getting to first base.
TDforTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2006, 09:03 PM   #5
Clockwork Orange
Persona Non Grata

I seen him!

Quote:
Originally Posted by killericon
It's only going to get worse.
If pitchers don't start doing something about it, yes.

You know damn well that these prissy, hyper-sensitive hitters would throw a **** fit if pitchers started showing them up every time they struck them out. It works both ways.

Start plunking a few of these guys after they pose at home plate and you'll see things change. Of course that won't happen because pitchers seemingly aren't even allowed to pitch inside to hitters without the umpires issuing warnings.
Clockwork Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2006, 10:17 PM   #6
-Slap-
Ring of Famer

For real. Clip some of these plate hugging prima donnas with a curveball and they still go ape****.
-Slap- is offline   Reply With Quote