The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Other Sports Discussion > NHL
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-04-2006, 10:46 PM   #226
Killericon
Front 7, Please
 
Killericon's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Alberta
Posts: 7,653

Adopt-a-Bronco:
watermock
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtbrncofn
How come some of you guys can't go to Calgary for a game?! I never make it to Colorado when it's in season for hockey or football!!
Tickets are hard to come by these past few seasons...

I've never even been to Denver, outside of a layover.
Killericon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2006, 12:22 AM   #227
JCMElway
Moderate-erator
 
JCMElway's Avatar
 
Dominate!

Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Grand Rapids, MI
Posts: 7,223

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Oleg
Default

Scotty Bowman Bio:

Bowman became the league's most successful coach over his 30 years of coaching with 1,244 wins in the regular season and 223 in the playoffs. He won a record 9 Stanley Cups with Montreal Canadiens (1973, 1976, 1977, 1978, 1979), Pittsburgh Penguins (1992) and Detroit Red Wings (1997, 1998 and 2002). He won the Jack Adams Award in 1977 and 1996. In the 1976-1977 season he won a record 60 games then, in 1996, won 62, breaking his own record for regular season wins. He won a 10th Stanley Cup with Pittsburgh in 1991 while serving as the Director of Player Development.

Bowman moved into the NHL in 1966 when he became the head coach of the first-year expansion team St. Louis Blues. He led the Blues to the Stanley Cup Finals in the first three consecutive years of the franchise. He coached in St. Louis until the end of the 1970-71 season (his first NHL season with a losing record), and became the head coach of the Montreal Canadiens after the firing of Canadiens head coach Al MacNeil. It was with the Montreal Canadiens that he had his most success, as his new team lost in the first round of the playoffs in 1972 but won the Stanley Cup in 1973. The Canadiens would make the playoffs over the next two seasons but bow out in the first and third rounds, respectively as the rival Philadelphia Flyers won the Stanley Cup. From 1976 to 1979, he led a talented Canadiens squad, with players like Guy Lafleur, Steve Shutt and Ken Dryden, to four consecutive Stanley Cups. Bowman's team won at least 45 games in each of his eight seasons as the Canadiens head coach.

The 1980s

The dynasty in Montreal ended as Bowman stepped down as head coach to become the new General Manager and head coach of the Buffalo Sabres. After failing to turn the Sabres into the winner he had in Montreal, he quit hockey temporarily in 1987 to become an analyst for the CBC's Hockey Night in Canada. He became the Director of Player Personnel of the Pittsburgh Penguins in 1991 and was inducted into the Hockey Hall of Fame that year as a builder.

The 1990s

Bowman was thrust back into the head coaching duties in the Fall of 1991, after the untimely death of Bob Johnson, who had just won the Stanley Cup with the Penguins the previous season. After winning the 1992 Stanley Cup, his sixth, the Penguins were upset in the 1993 playoffs by the New York Islanders, after acquiring the regular season's best record. Bowman then became head coach of the Detroit Red Wings.

The following season he saw his Red Wings defeated by the young San Jose Sharks. In 1995, the Red Wings made it to the Stanley Cup Finals but were swept by the New Jersey Devils in four straight. This was the Red Wings' first appearance in the Finals in 29 years. In the 1995-96 regular season, he won a record 62 games. However, they lost to the Colorado Avalanche in the playoffs third round. In the 1997 playoffs, Bowman led the team to its first Stanley Cup in 42 years by sweeping the Philadelphia Flyers 4-0. The Red Wings repeated the feat the following season by sweeping the Washington Capitals. In 1999, they were upset by the Colorado Avalanche in the semi-finals.

Retirement

Bowman decided in February 2002 that he would retire at the end of the season and he went out as a winner as his Red Wings won the Stanley Cup by defeating the Carolina Hurricanes 4 games to 1. It was after the presentation of the Cup on the ice that Bowman publicly announced his retirement from coaching. He remains with Detroit as a senior adviser to the team's management, and also occasionally makes appearances on ESPN as a pre-game analyst.
JCMElway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2006, 12:37 PM   #228
Killericon
Front 7, Please
 
Killericon's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Alberta
Posts: 7,653

Adopt-a-Bronco:
watermock
Default

1. 24champbailey C - Wayne Gretzky(Oilers, Blues, Kings, Rangers)
2. Mtbrncofn G - Patrick Roy(Canadiens, Avalanche)
3. Clockwork Orange D - Bobby Orr(Bruins, Blackhawks)
4. Breck Bronc C - Mario Lemieux(Penguins)
5. JCMElway RW - Gordie Howe(Red Wings, Whalers)
6. Jori G - Terry Sawchuck(Red Wings, Maple Leafs, Bruins, Kings, Rangers)
7. -Slap- LW - Bobby Hull(Blackhawks, Jets, Whalers)
8. killericon D - Paul Coffey(Oilers, Penguins, Kings, Red Wings, Whalers, Flyers, Blackhawks, Hurricanes, Bruins)
9. Bronco LB 52 G- Dominik Hasek (Blackhawks, Sabres, Senators, Red Wings)

10. Bronco LB 52 C- Steve Yzerman (Red Wings)
11. killericon D - Raymond Bourque(Bruins, Avalanche)
12. -Slap- D - Doug Harvey(Canadiens, Rangers, Red Wings, Blues)
13. Jori RW - Maurice Richard(Canadiens)
14. JCMElway G - Martin Brodeur(Devils)
15. Breck Bronc C - Joe Sakic(Avalanche)
16. Clockwork Orange G - Vladislav Tretiak(CSKA Moscow, Red Army)
17. Mtbrncofn D - Al MacInnis(Flames, Blues)
18. 24champbailey D - Eddie Shore(Bruins, Americans)

19. 24champbailey G - Jacques Plante(Canadiens, Blues, Maple Leafs, Bruins, Oilers)
20. Mtbrncofn C - Mark Messier(Oilers, Rangers, Canucks)
21. Clockwork Orange RW - Mike Bossy(Islanders)
22. Breck Bronc D - Larry Robinson(Kings, Canadiens)
23. JCMElway C - Marcel Dionne(Red Wings, Kings, Rangers)
24. Jori D - Nicklas Lidstrom(Red Wings)
25. -Slap- G - Ken Dryden(Canadiens)
26. killericon G - Tony Esposito(Canadiens, Blackhawks)
27. Bronco LB 52 D - Dennis Potvin(Islanders)

28. Bronco LB 52 D - Pierre Pilote(Blackhawks, Maple Leafs)
29. killericon RW - Cam Neely(Canucks, Bruins)
30. -Slap- C - Phil Esposito(Blackhawks, Bruins, Rangers)
31. Jori C - Stan Mikita(Blackhawks)
32. JCMElway RW - Jaromir Jagr(Penguins, Rangers)
33. Breck Bronc C - Bryan Trottier(Islanders, PenguC ins)
34. Clockwork Orange C - Peter Forsberg(Avalanche, Flyers)
35. Mtbrncofn C - Ron Francis(Whalers, Oenguins, Hurricanes)
36. 24champbailey C - Jean Béliveau(Canadiens)

37. 24champbailey LW - Luc Robitaille(Kings, Rangers, Penguins, Red Wings)
38. Mtbrncofn RW - Brett Hull(Flames, Blues, Stars, Red Wings, Coyotes)
39. Clockwork Orange D - Scott Stevens(Capitals, Blues, Devils)
40. Breck Bronc RW - Guy Lafleur(Canadiens, Rangers, Nordiques)
41. JCMElway C - Adam Oates(Red Wings, Bruins, Capitals)
42. Jori RW - Mike Gartner(Capitals, North Stars, Rangers, Maple Leafs, Coyotes)
43. -Slap- LW - Brendan Shanahan(Red Wings, Whalers, Blues, Devils)
44. killericon LW - Paul Kariya(Mighty Ducks, Avalanche, Predators)
45. Bronco LB 52 LW - Ted Lindsay(Blackhawks, Red Wings)

46. Bronco LB 52 RW - Bernie "Boom Boom" Geoffrion(Rangers, Canadiens)
47. killericon D - Rob Blake(Avalanche, Kings)
48. -Slap- D - Vladimir Konstantinov(Red Wings)
49. Jori D - Rod Langway(Canadiens, Capitals)
50. JCMElway C - Scotty Bowman(Canadiens, Penguins, Red Wings)
51. Breck Bronc D- Brian Leetch(Rangers, Maple Leafs, Bruins)
52. Clockwork Orange LW - Alexander Ovechkin(Capitals)
53. Mtbrncofn D - Phil Housley(Sabres, Jets, Blues, Flames, Devils, Capitals, Blackhawks, Maple Leafs. )
54. 24champbailey

55. 24champbailey
56. Mtbrncofn
57. Clockwork Orange
58. Breck Bronc
59. JCMElway
60. Jori
61. -Slap-
62. killericon
63. Bronco LB 52

24champbailey is on the clock.

Last edited by Killericon; 08-05-2006 at 04:23 PM..
Killericon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2006, 04:43 PM   #229
Mtbrncofn
Ring of Famer
 

Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Bigfork, MT
Posts: 8,484
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by killericon
Tickets are hard to come by these past few seasons...

I've never even been to Denver, outside of a layover.

I got to go to Calgary this year to watch my first hockey game ever and it was awesome. It's the closest venue for me. Of course, nothing would match being able to go to a home game in Denver...especially if some of the group from here was there.

CO is my advisor and he said he was willing to help me finish up my draft, so that's who'll be doing mine for me. What a guy!
Mtbrncofn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2006, 04:46 PM   #230
Mtbrncofn
Ring of Famer
 

Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Bigfork, MT
Posts: 8,484
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clockwork Orange
Already used my vacation fund this year (not to mention the XBOX 360 I bought). The wife has plans for whatever $$ comes next, so it may be a while before I get out of town again, unfortunately.

Oh I hear ya. I'm cringing right now at the thought of driving to Colorado with the gas like it is. We were maybe considering going to Waterworld ?, I think it's called. Not sure if we can afford tix for the whole family though. Maybe we'll draw straws.

Anyone from here been there and is it cool enough to warrant the admission?
Mtbrncofn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2006, 05:32 PM   #231
Killericon
Front 7, Please
 
Killericon's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Alberta
Posts: 7,653

Adopt-a-Bronco:
watermock
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtbrncofn
I got to go to Calgary this year to watch my first hockey game ever and it was awesome. It's the closest venue for me. Of course, nothing would match being able to go to a home game in Denver...especially if some of the group from here was there.

CO is my advisor and he said he was willing to help me finish up my draft, so that's who'll be doing mine for me. What a guy!
Man, you obviously have'nt been around Calgary during a playoff run.

Did you know that during the 04 finals, when the games were in Tampa, the Saddledome staff brought in two giant screens onto the ice, back-to-back, and let anyone who brouhgt a non-perishable food item as entry fee. The place sold out every time.

Man, when we're down, Calgary fans suck, but when we're on the top...we can't be beat.

Has nothing to do with your post, but hey.
Killericon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2006, 06:05 PM   #232
Breck Bronc
Roland Deschain
 
Breck Bronc's Avatar
 
The Gunslinger

Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 4,049
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtbrncofn
Oh I hear ya. I'm cringing right now at the thought of driving to Colorado with the gas like it is. We were maybe considering going to Waterworld ?, I think it's called. Not sure if we can afford tix for the whole family though. Maybe we'll draw straws.

Anyone from here been there and is it cool enough to warrant the admission?
Waterworld is one of the best water parks in the country (I think it's the biggest) and is definitely worth going to if you're in town. I believe tickets are $29 for adults and $23 for children, which isn't bad if you ask me.
Breck Bronc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2006, 06:17 PM   #233
Breck Bronc
Roland Deschain
 
Breck Bronc's Avatar
 
The Gunslinger

Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 4,049
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by killericon
Woman, you obviously have'nt been around Calgary during a playoff run.

Did you know that during the 04 finals, when the games were in Tampa, the Saddledome staff brought in two giant screens onto the ice, back-to-back, and let anyone who brouhgt a non-perishable food item as entry fee. The place sold out every time.

Man, when we're down, Calgary fans suck, but when we're on the top...we can't be beat.

Has nothing to do with your post, but hey.
Considering the Flames have had one good playoff run in the past 16 years it's not out of the ordinary for the fans to go crazy like they did in 2004.

It's not unique for a team to bring in video boards for an away game and sell out the arena when they're in a championship series. The Avalanche did this in 1996 and many other teams have, too.

I was in the Saddledome and the streets of Calgary when the Flames clinched the 2006 Northwest Division vs. the Avalanche. I was impressed by the fans, but I wouldn't say they can't be beat. I've lived in Denver for the 1997 & 1998 Bronco Super Bowl runs and the 1996 & 2001 Avalanche Stanley Cup wins, as well as South Florida during the Marlins' amazing 2003 World Series run; every city that wins a major championship goes pretty crazy for their team. The Red Mile in '04 was cool, for sure, but saying Flames fans can't be beat is being naive.
Breck Bronc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2006, 06:19 PM   #234
Killericon
Front 7, Please
 
Killericon's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Alberta
Posts: 7,653

Adopt-a-Bronco:
watermock
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breck Bronc
Considering the Flames have had one good playoff run in the past 16 years it's not out of the ordinary for the fans to go crazy like they did in 2004.

It's not unique for a team to bring in video boards for an away game and sell out the arena when they're in a championship series. The Avalanche did this in 1996 and many other teams have, too.

I was in the Saddledome and the streets of Calgary when the Flames clinched the 2006 Northwest Division vs. the Avalanche. I was impressed by the fans, but I wouldn't say they can't be beat. I've lived in Denver for the 1997 & 1998 Bronco Super Bowl runs and the 1996 & 2001 Avalanche Stanley Cup wins, as well as South Florida during the Marlins' amazing 2003 World Series run; every city that wins a major championship goes pretty crazy for their team. The Red Mile in '04 was cool, for sure, but saying Flames fans can't be beat is being naive.
Well, fine, kill my thunder.



Not as if I have much experience in the matter, anyways. I am 16, you know. In any case, my use of the qualifier 'man' was'nt in reference to the person I was speaking to, so the correction was unneeded.
Killericon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2006, 08:08 PM   #235
Mtbrncofn
Ring of Famer
 

Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Bigfork, MT
Posts: 8,484
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by killericon
Man, you obviously have'nt been around Calgary during a playoff run.

Did you know that during the 04 finals, when the games were in Tampa, the Saddledome staff brought in two giant screens onto the ice, back-to-back, and let anyone who brouhgt a non-perishable food item as entry fee. The place sold out every time.

Man, when we're down, Calgary fans suck, but when we're on the top...we can't be beat.

Has nothing to do with your post, but hey.
I was just happy we weren't hassled too much, being opposing fans. We were in a spot I was worried about being in. There were a lot of people with food behind me and I was sure I was going to be walking out with gunked up hair and a stained jersey, but I didn't!

The most grief I got, ( very embarassing to me ) was from that damn wolf mascot. He let me have it.
Mtbrncofn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2006, 08:11 PM   #236
Mtbrncofn
Ring of Famer
 

Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Bigfork, MT
Posts: 8,484
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breck Bronc
Waterworld is one of the best water parks in the country (I think it's the biggest) and is definitely worth going to if you're in town. I believe tickets are $29 for adults and $23 for children, which isn't bad if you ask me.
Thanks, Breck. I originally saw it on the Travel channel. They were doing a special on America's best water parks. It was number 3 on the list. I checked and admission is $29 for 48" and over. That's odd, I've never been to a park where they charged based on height. Unfortunately, I think all my kids are over that mark.
Mtbrncofn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2006, 08:51 PM   #237
Killericon
Front 7, Please
 
Killericon's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Alberta
Posts: 7,653

Adopt-a-Bronco:
watermock
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtbrncofn
I was just happy we weren't hassled too much, being opposing fans. We were in a spot I was worried about being in. There were a lot of people with food behind me and I was sure I was going to be walking out with gunked up hair and a stained jersey, but I didn't!

The most grief I got, ( very embarassing to me ) was from that damn wolf mascot. He let me have it.
Oh what, Harvey the Hound?

He meant no harm...


Killericon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2006, 10:03 PM   #238
Mtbrncofn
Ring of Famer
 

Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Bigfork, MT
Posts: 8,484
Default

Oh it has a name? I'm all for shooting wolves. Especially big stuffed ones who humiliate me in front of thousands.
Mtbrncofn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2006, 10:21 PM   #239
Clockwork Orange
Persona Non Grata
 
Clockwork Orange's Avatar
 
I seen him!

Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 21,352
Default

Isn't he the one whose tongue was ripped out by Craig MacTavish?
Clockwork Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2006, 10:27 PM   #240
Mtbrncofn
Ring of Famer
 

Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Bigfork, MT
Posts: 8,484
Default

Ahahahahaaha! I hope that's true, it would make me feel better.
Mtbrncofn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2006, 10:58 PM   #241
Killericon
Front 7, Please
 
Killericon's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Alberta
Posts: 7,653

Adopt-a-Bronco:
watermock
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clockwork Orange
Isn't he the one whose tongue was ripped out by Craig MacTavish?
Killericon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2006, 10:59 PM   #242
Breck Bronc
Roland Deschain
 
Breck Bronc's Avatar
 
The Gunslinger

Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 4,049
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clockwork Orange
Isn't he the one whose tongue was ripped out by Craig MacTavish?
Yup. I think that happened the same year a Calgary fan streaked the ice.
Breck Bronc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2006, 11:26 PM   #243
Killericon
Front 7, Please
 
Killericon's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Alberta
Posts: 7,653

Adopt-a-Bronco:
watermock
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breck Bronc
Yup. I think that happened the same year a Calgary fan streaked the ice.
That year being last year.

Killericon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2006, 03:08 AM   #244
Killericon
Front 7, Please
 
Killericon's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Alberta
Posts: 7,653

Adopt-a-Bronco:
watermock
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clockwork Orange
Isn't he the one whose tongue was ripped out by Craig MacTavish?
He had good reason to.

Heck, about a week after it happened, they started circulating TV Spots for the Flames with an epic Rocky style Montage of Harvey sewing his own tongue back on.

Last edited by Killericon; 08-06-2006 at 03:11 AM..
Killericon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2006, 09:47 AM   #245
Breck Bronc
Roland Deschain
 
Breck Bronc's Avatar
 
The Gunslinger

Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 4,049
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by killericon
That year being last year.

No. 2002-'03.
Breck Bronc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2006, 01:29 PM   #246
Killericon
Front 7, Please
 
Killericon's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Alberta
Posts: 7,653

Adopt-a-Bronco:
watermock
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breck Bronc
No. 2002-'03.
Well...Harvey had his toungue ripped out last season.

As far as I can remember, there was a streaker in 98, 02, and 06. Probably more.
Killericon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2006, 03:41 PM   #247
JCMElway
Moderate-erator
 
JCMElway's Avatar
 
Dominate!

Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Grand Rapids, MI
Posts: 7,223

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Oleg
Default

Who's on the clock and how long do they have?
JCMElway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2006, 04:27 PM   #248
-Slap-
Ring of Famer
 

Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 31,806
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCMElway
Who's on the clock and how long do they have?
24ChampBailey has been on the clock all weekend.
-Slap- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2006, 06:56 PM   #249
Mtbrncofn
Ring of Famer
 

Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Bigfork, MT
Posts: 8,484
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by killericon
That year being last year.


Looks like they got your good side there, KI.

So if 24cb knew he was going to be gone all weekend, why didn't he PM you a list of possible picks he had lined up or something?
Mtbrncofn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2006, 08:29 PM   #250
Breck Bronc
Roland Deschain
 
Breck Bronc's Avatar
 
The Gunslinger

Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 4,049
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by killericon
Well...Harvey had his toungue ripped out last season.

As far as I can remember, there was a streaker in 98, 02, and 06. Probably more.
MacTavish ripped out Harvey's toungue on January 20th, 2003. By my calculations that incident didn't happen last season.

The most famous Calgary streaker was the guy in October 2002 who jumped over the boards wearing only red socks. He knocked himself unconcious when he fell to the ice after jumping the boards.
Breck Bronc is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:37 PM.


Denver Broncos