The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Other Sports Discussion > NBA & NCAA
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-12-2006, 03:13 PM   #1
Clockwork Orange
Persona Non Grata
 
Clockwork Orange's Avatar
 
I seen him!

Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 21,352
Default NBA Offseason thread

For the sake of not cluttering the board with every move made in free agency/trades, let's condense this all into one thread.

I'll kick it off with the latest whispers about the hottest story out there right now, Allen Iverson. The rumors (and these are just rumors at this point) are that three teams are seriously in the mix. Golden State, Denver and Boston are all making a push with the Warriors having the edge at the moment. GS is rumored to be offering a package that includes Baron Davis, but the 76ers want Ike Diogu included and the Warriors aren't budging on him, yet. Denver is said to be making the strongest push, but need to get a 3rd team involved to make it work. Boston is still in the race, but it looks like Philly is trying their damndest to send Iverson to the Western Conference.

Jamal Magloire is also said to be on the trade block.
Clockwork Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-12-2006, 03:20 PM   #2
Nuggets4
Requisite Nugs Die-Hard
 
Nuggets4's Avatar
 
Buffaloes, Buffaloes, Go C-U!

Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Boulder, CO
Posts: 4,335

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Allen Iverson
Default

Screw that. If Mock can start a thread for every thought that pops into his alcohol riddled brain, we can start a thread on every NBA move.

I know that the Nugs are trying to get involved in the deal that Atlanta is working on with Al Harrington. Apparently their owners can only take back players with limited years on their contracts due to the legal struggle, and neither Indiana nor Golden State can make anything work, so we would be the third team in that deal.
Nuggets4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 03:22 PM   #3
Man-Goblin
One Gap Penetrator
 
Man-Goblin's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Huntersville, NC
Posts: 6,056

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Connor Barth
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuggets4
Screw that. If Mock can start a thread for every thought that pops into his alcohol riddled brain, we can start a thread on every NBA move.

I know that the Nugs are trying to get involved in the deal that Atlanta is working on with Al Harrington. Apparently their owners can only take back players with limited years on their contracts due to the legal struggle, and neither Indiana nor Golden State can make anything work, so we would be the third team in that deal.
To aquire Harrington or someone else?
Man-Goblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 03:23 PM   #4
Clockwork Orange
Persona Non Grata
 
Clockwork Orange's Avatar
 
I seen him!

Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 21,352
Default

There's also talk of a 6 team trade being discussed with Boston, Philly, Sacramento and three other unnamed teams involved. No idea who's going where in that one, but like I said, this is all just the rumors that are going around these days.
Clockwork Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 03:26 PM   #5
Man-Goblin
One Gap Penetrator
 
Man-Goblin's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Huntersville, NC
Posts: 6,056

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Connor Barth
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clockwork Orange
There's also talk of a 6 team trade being discussed with Boston, Philly, Sacramento and three other unnamed teams involved. No idea who's going where in that one, but like I said, this is all just the rumors that are going around these days.
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2...ns/chat/060712

Jacob (Indianapolis IN): Bill, there's a wild internet rumor floating around right now that there is a 6-team trade brewing in the NBA including IND, SAC, BOS, GSW, PHIL, ATL ... any truth to this?

Bill Simmons: Any time the words "wild internet rumor" and "NBA" are involved, I don't pay attention. There's just a zero percent track record of success.
Man-Goblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 05:17 PM   #6
RhymesayersDU
Go Broncos, Nuggets, Rox
 
RhymesayersDU's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Back In The 303!
Posts: 14,992

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ty Lawson
Default

Wow, a 6-team trade would be epic. That's gotta be like some sort of record.
RhymesayersDU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 05:31 PM   #7
Clockwork Orange
Persona Non Grata
 
Clockwork Orange's Avatar
 
I seen him!

Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 21,352
Default

Warriors want Al Harrington, appear to be out of the running for Iverson

As for the Warriors' backcourt, two sources indicated the team will not pursue Allen Iverson, whom the Sixers have put on the trading block. Instead, the Warriors appear to be gambling that point guard Baron Davis can return to his All-Star form and remain healthy for an entire season.
Clockwork Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 05:45 PM   #8
jossjeff
Pro Bowler
 
jossjeff's Avatar
 

Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: RaiderNation
Posts: 721
Default

Well...

The Clippers officially resigned Sam Cassell and signed Tim Thomas.

Corey Magette is still on the trading block but we apparently aren't getting **** for offers.

Good as far as I am concerned, Magette goes brain dead with his one on five approach at times and will never be a good defensive player but that dude goes to the basket in a league filled with jump shooters.

Not to mention that he is signed for 3 more years at a very reasonable salary by NBA standards.

I hope he can be happy coming off the bench because that really is what he is best suited for IMO.
jossjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 05:46 PM   #9
Clockwork Orange
Persona Non Grata
 
Clockwork Orange's Avatar
 
I seen him!

Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 21,352
Default

Press conference going on right now, Carmelo has signed the original 5 year deal as was reported and won't be going for the 3 year + option year type of deal that Lebron signed.
Clockwork Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 06:17 PM   #10
ro_50
Ring of Famer
 
ro_50's Avatar
 

Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Somewhere in Jersey
Posts: 3,786
Default


Spurs sign Point Guard, extend offers to two centers
By Johnny Ludden
Express-News Staff Writer

The Spurs moved quickly when the NBA’s free-agent signing period began Wednesday, signing point guard Jacque Vaughn and extending offer sheets to centers Francisco Elson and Jackie Butler.

Elson and Butler are restricted free agents, so Denver and New York have seven days to match the offers. The Knicks have already indicated they want to keep Butler.
The Spurs extended offers to both Elson and Butler in part because they were unable to reach agreement with former second-round pick Robertas Javtokas. Javtokas is preparing to play in Greece, but the Spurs haven’t given up hope they will be able to resume negotiations with him, if needed.
Vaughn, who signed a one-year contract for the league minimum, will compete with Beno Udrih for the backup point-guard job.
ro_50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 06:18 PM   #11
ro_50
Ring of Famer
 
ro_50's Avatar
 

Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Somewhere in Jersey
Posts: 3,786
Default

What can you guys tell a Spurs fan about Francisco Elson?

I mean, I'm not expecting him to become a stellar acquisition but is he solid enough to play 15-20 mins a game and besides TD, how solid can he be?

I dont think Spurs fans are expecting anything big from him but just someone who can get the rebound, play tough defense and make an occasional shot.
ro_50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 06:20 PM   #12
Rulon Velvet Jones
You're not really here.
 
Rulon Velvet Jones's Avatar
 
Tight Butthole

Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 6,692

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Rent-A-DC
Default

Nice offseason those Spurs are having.
Rulon Velvet Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 06:22 PM   #13
ro_50
Ring of Famer
 
ro_50's Avatar
 

Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Somewhere in Jersey
Posts: 3,786
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rulon Velvet Jones
Nice offseason those Spurs are having.
Hahaha, its not the greatest or even solid.

But as long as Tim Duncan, Manu and Tony Parker are healthy, they will be up there w/ Dallas as the Western Conference favorites for next season.

Spurs need to get a couple of able bodies down low and got a third PG in Vaughn. Its not glamorous but when the Spurs have been a glamorous offseason team.
ro_50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 06:27 PM   #14
GonzoLays
Five Tool Poster
 
GonzoLays's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 5,622

Adopt-a-Bronco:
#3 DJ
Default

I'll tell you what, if the C's don't get Iverson, I will be in a funk. That just sucks. That's like the Bronco's having a legit rumor about landing Tom Brady for Ashley Lelie, Tatum Bell, and Jake Plummer and it falling through at the last moment because the Patriots don't want to trade him within the conference.

AARRGGHHHHHH!!! Keep hope alive, Gonzo. Keep hope alive!!!
GonzoLays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 06:32 PM   #15
WABronco
WE SUCK AGAIN
 
WABronco's Avatar
 
All dat force

Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Denver
Posts: 5,014
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ro_50
Hahaha, its not the greatest or even solid.

But as long as Tim Duncan, Manu and Tony Parker are healthy, they will be up there w/ Dallas as the Western Conference favorites for next season.

Spurs need to get a couple of able bodies down low and got a third PG in Vaughn. Its not glamorous but when the Spurs have been a glamorous offseason team.
Hollinger thinks Butler is a nice player...seems like a very Spurish move...
WABronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 06:33 PM   #16
Clockwork Orange
Persona Non Grata
 
Clockwork Orange's Avatar
 
I seen him!

Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 21,352
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ro_50
What can you guys tell a Spurs fan about Francisco Elson?
On a good night, he can be a serviceable big man who can grab some rebounds for you. On a bad night, he's a foul machine who'll be headed back to the bench just as fast as he got off of it. He shows flashes sometimes that make you think that he could be a pretty decent player and then will wash those away by showing a serious lack of basketball IQ. He's tall with long arms, but can be awfully clumsy. Could be a solid bench guy if he ever lives up to his potential.

The most noteworthy thing he's done in his time in Denver was during the '04 playoffs when he called Kevin Garnett "gay."
Clockwork Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 06:35 PM   #17
GonzoLays
Five Tool Poster
 
GonzoLays's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 5,622

Adopt-a-Bronco:
#3 DJ
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clockwork Orange
For the sake of not cluttering the board with every move made in free agency/trades, let's condense this all into one thread.

I'll kick it off with the latest whispers about the hottest story out there right now, Allen Iverson. The rumors (and these are just rumors at this point) are that three teams are seriously in the mix. Golden State, Denver and Boston are all making a push with the Warriors having the edge at the moment. GS is rumored to be offering a package that includes Baron Davis, but the 76ers want Ike Diogu included and the Warriors aren't budging on him, yet. Denver is said to be making the strongest push, but need to get a 3rd team involved to make it work. Boston is still in the race, but it looks like Philly is trying their damndest to send Iverson to the Western Conference.

Jamal Magloire is also said to be on the trade block.
What is Philly going to do Allen Iverson Jr? Baron Davis is the broke man's Iverson. He shoots less than 40% from the field, he spends half the season on the injured list because of his bad back, and makes just as much money as AI. Stupidity. If I were a Sixer's fan I would shoot Billy King in the ass if he made that trade. Ike Diogu and Baron Davis for the Answer? Give me a break. That is a lateral move for the Sixers. It doesn't make them better in any shape, form or fashion. If BK makes that move, he should be fired immediately. Ike Diogu is definitely not the "answer" in Philadelphia. He is a undersized PF much like Mike Sweetney and Robert "the tractor" Traylor.

You move Iverson to rebuild, not reload to challenge for the 8th spot in the Eastern Conference.
GonzoLays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 06:35 PM   #18
ro_50
Ring of Famer
 
ro_50's Avatar
 

Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Somewhere in Jersey
Posts: 3,786
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clockwork Orange
On a good night, he can be a serviceable big man who can grab some rebounds for you. On a bad night, he's a foul machine who'll be headed back to the bench just as fast as he got off of it. He shows flashes sometimes that make you think that he could be a pretty decent player and then will wash those away by showing a serious lack of basketball IQ. He's tall with long arms, but can be awfully clumsy. Could be a solid bench guy if he ever lives up to his potential.

The most noteworthy thing he's done in his time in Denver was during the '04 playoffs when he called Kevin Garnett "gay."

Thanks for the information. I hope if he does sign an offer sheet and ends up w/ the Spurs, I hope he can be service-able.
ro_50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 06:38 PM   #19
Clockwork Orange
Persona Non Grata
 
Clockwork Orange's Avatar
 
I seen him!

Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 21,352
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GonzoLays
What is Philly going to do Allen Iverson Jr? Baron Davis is the broke man's Iverson. He shoots less than 40% from the field, he spends half the season on the injured list because of his bad back, and makes just as much money as AI. Stupidity. If I were a Sixer's fan I would shoot Billy King in the ass if he made that trade. Ike Diogu and Baron Davis for the Answer? Give me a break. That is a lateral move for the Sixers. It doesn't make them better in any shape, form or fashion. If BK makes that move, he should be fired immediately. Ike Diogu is definitely not the "answer" in Philadelphia. He is a undersized PF much like Mike Sweetney and Robert "the tractor" Traylor.

You move Iverson to rebuild, not reload to challenge for the 8th spot in the Eastern Conference.
Don't shoot the messanger, that's just the rumors that have been floating around. Doesn't much matter now since it appears that Golden State is bowing out of the Iverson sweepstakes.
Clockwork Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 06:42 PM   #20
GonzoLays
Five Tool Poster
 
GonzoLays's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 5,622

Adopt-a-Bronco:
#3 DJ
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clockwork Orange
Don't shoot the messanger, that's just the rumors that have been floating around. Doesn't much matter now since it appears that Golden State is bowing out of the Iverson sweepstakes.
So, its down to Denver and Boston....

I might have to leave the Mane if Denver get's Iverson.
GonzoLays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 06:48 PM   #21
Clockwork Orange
Persona Non Grata
 
Clockwork Orange's Avatar
 
I seen him!

Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 21,352
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GonzoLays
So, its down to Denver and Boston....

I might have to leave the Mane if Denver get's Iverson.
You can bet your last dollar that Philly will try like hell to send him to Denver if that is indeed the case. They're going to get roasted by their fans for trading him regardless, but trading him to a division rival? Oof.

It'll still take a three team deal to get it done though.

There could be other suitors actively involved though, these are just the ones I've heard about.
Clockwork Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 06:56 PM   #22
GonzoLays
Five Tool Poster
 
GonzoLays's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 5,622

Adopt-a-Bronco:
#3 DJ
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clockwork Orange
You can bet your last dollar that Philly will try like hell to send him to Denver if that is indeed the case. They're going to get roasted by their fans for trading him regardless, but trading him to a division rival? Oof.

It'll still take a three team deal to get it done though.

There could be other suitors actively involved though, these are just the ones I've heard about.
I know Philly is trying to send him out West which is completely moronic. How many years does Iverson have left at an uber all-star level? Four? So who cares what he does in the next four seasons because you aren't trading him for the sake of trading him, you are trading him because you are rebuilding. You get the best deal, period. That is the short sightness of GM's. They aren't looking out for the franchise, they looking out for themselves.

So you trade Iverson to Denver, right. You get back, best case scenario, Andre Miller and Marcus Camby. What you got then? You are one of the oldest teams in the league and you STILL SUCK. How stupid is that? Even if they throw in two first round draft picks, they are going to be at the end of the first round and all you get is high priced role players. Does that make sense? They get no cap relief, no youth to build around, and they are in the same boat as they were before they made the trade -- out of the playoffs.

Don't worry about the next four freaking seasons, BK, worry about the future of the franchise. Make the power move, secure Philly some talented youth for your franchise to market.
GonzoLays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 07:45 PM   #23
Clockwork Orange
Persona Non Grata
 
Clockwork Orange's Avatar
 
I seen him!

Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 21,352
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GonzoLays
I know Philly is trying to send him out West which is completely moronic. How many years does Iverson have left at an uber all-star level? Four? So who cares what he does in the next four seasons because you aren't trading him for the sake of trading him, you are trading him because you are rebuilding. You get the best deal, period. That is the short sightness of GM's. They aren't looking out for the franchise, they looking out for themselves.

So you trade Iverson to Denver, right. You get back, best case scenario, Andre Miller and Marcus Camby. What you got then? You are one of the oldest teams in the league and you STILL SUCK. How stupid is that? Even if they throw in two first round draft picks, they are going to be at the end of the first round and all you get is high priced role players. Does that make sense? They get no cap relief, no youth to build around, and they are in the same boat as they were before they made the trade -- out of the playoffs.

Don't worry about the next four freaking seasons, BK, worry about the future of the franchise. Make the power move, secure Philly some talented youth for your franchise to market.
Precisely why I said that there would have to be a third team involved for Iverson to be sent to Denver. It makes no sense from Philly's perspective to deal directly with the Nuggets.
Clockwork Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 07:56 PM   #24
Nuggets4
Requisite Nugs Die-Hard
 
Nuggets4's Avatar
 
Buffaloes, Buffaloes, Go C-U!

Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Boulder, CO
Posts: 4,335

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Allen Iverson
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clockwork Orange
Precisely why I said that there would have to be a third team involved for Iverson to be sent to Denver. It makes no sense from Philly's perspective to deal directly with the Nuggets.
Enter the Knicks...
Nuggets4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 07:59 PM   #25
Clockwork Orange
Persona Non Grata
 
Clockwork Orange's Avatar
 
I seen him!

Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 21,352
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuggets4
Enter the Knicks...
I read somewhere that they've talked about a deal for Kenyon Martin, but the Knicks wanted the Nuggets to take Steve Francis and the Nuggets declined.
Clockwork Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:08 AM.


Denver Broncos