The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 05-21-2006, 05:34 PM   #226
Sassy
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Eddie Royal

Quote:
Originally Posted by heydensmom
I'm sure you men will rush out and read this one. I just finished the complete Shopaholic collection...all 4 by Sophia Kinsella. Now I'm reading Can you keep a secret....then the Devil Wears Parada
I've read some of hers! Have you read any of the Hannah Swenson mysteries by Joanne Fluke? I just finished the Cherry Cheesecake Murder....I also like Diane Mott Davidson's mysteries. I also just finished "Dark Tort".

Last edited by Sassy; 05-21-2006 at 05:36 PM..
Sassy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2006, 09:26 PM   #227
Mtbrncofn
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ludo21
what did you think?

I love it as a pure fiction book. As a Christian I think of it as pure blasphemy and i recently listened to the guy who wrote "Cracking Da Vinci;s Code" and he basically put everything in it to shame. Even non-christian scholars are upset about some of Browns work.

It was a great pure fiction book. I have to admit though, it does put an inkling of question in your head...the way it was done. Not doubt, but it definitely makes you think.

I'm thinking about picking up one of the books that explains it all away...in the Christian sense.

Based purely on it being a great read and having nothing to do with proving or disproving something I hold dear.....it was just that, a great read.
Mtbrncofn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2006, 09:28 PM   #228
Mtbrncofn
Ring of Famer

If you girls want to read some hysterically funny books that are mystery-ish, read Janet Evanovich's numbers series. I LOVE those books. Seriously, I sit here and laugh out loud at some of the stuff that goes on in them. They're the kind where it's torture to wait for the next one.
Old 05-21-2006, 10:36 PM   #229
Sassy
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Eddie Royal

I'll check them out! My mom has some of them...
I have two sisters and my mom, grandma and sisters and I all share books...
They'll make the rounds eventually!
Old 05-21-2006, 10:37 PM   #230
Mtbrncofn
Ring of Famer

You really should! They'll have your sides aching. My mom and I do the same things with books. I get a lot of mine from the pawn shop. They give a credit when you go trade them back in. I'm not much of a book keeper, so I don't even know why I do this. I should just stick with the library!
Old 05-21-2006, 10:40 PM   #231
Sassy
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Eddie Royal

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtbrncofn
You really should! They'll have your sides aching. My mom and I do the same things with books. I get a lot of mine from the pawn shop. They give a credit when you go trade them back in. I'm not much of a book keeper, so I don't even know why I do this. I should just stick with the library!
Library is great too...except sometimes you have to get on the list for the new books! Sometimes, I'm not that patient!
Old 05-21-2006, 10:55 PM   #232
Mtbrncofn
Ring of Famer

Gosh, I always have to get on the list for the new ones, and patience is not one of my virtues either! I try to get on before the book even is released so I at least get a good spot in line.
Old 05-21-2006, 11:11 PM   #233
ludo21
RIP Darrent Williams

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Paul Ernster

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtbrncofn
It was a great pure fiction book. I have to admit though, it does put an inkling of question in your head...the way it was done. Not doubt, but it definitely makes you think.

I'm thinking about picking up one of the books that explains it all away...in the Christian sense.

Based purely on it being a great read and having nothing to do with proving or disproving something I hold dear.....it was just that, a great read.

Yeah, Garlow is a good writer. He wrote "Breaking Da Vincis code".

Dang it, caz on the recent talk on "Cell", i just bought it. Dang you OMers, dang you!
ludo21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2006, 09:22 PM   #234
Dagmar
...there ain't no devil

..there's just God when he's drunk.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tim Tebow

Dagmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006, 06:25 AM   #235
heydensmom
I'm Jack Bauer!

Thanks Mtn...I'll have to check them out. I just saw the other day that they made a movie outta The devil wears prada.....so my goal now is to read that book this weekend. They never do justice from books to movies....look at Bridget Jones. Don't get me wrong, I LOVED the movies, but the books were so much better. Especially edge of reason, the book was so much better.
heydensmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 03:23 AM   #236
BroncoBuff

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MALIK+QUANTERUS

I'm reading "Deep Stall: The Turbulent History of Boeing."

Next:

"Gravity's Rainbow" - Pynchon
"State of Fear" - Crichton

And I think I'll get "Devil Wears Prada."
BroncoBuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 06:07 AM   #237
Sassy
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Eddie Royal

[QUOTE=BroncoBuff1]I'm reading "Deep Stall: The Turbulent History of Boeing."

Next:

"Gravity's Rainbow" - Pynchon
"State of Fear" - Crichton

And I think I'll get "Devil Wears Prada."[/QUOTE]

So you can chat with us in "Girl Talk"

Last edited by Sassy; 05-25-2006 at 06:11 AM..
Old 05-25-2006, 06:15 AM   #238
heydensmom
I'm Jack Bauer!

I know..I left a rep saying I'd give him my copy!
heydensmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 07:48 AM   #239
BroncoInferno
Ring of Famer

Philip Roth' Everyman is a very moving and sad novel dealing with a man coming to terms with his deteriorating body and the choices he's made that have left him to deal with it all alone. It certainly won't give you warm fuzzies, but it is a touchiung book by one of America's best living novelists.
BroncoInferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 08:44 AM   #240
alkemical
Guerrilla Ontologist

rorrim|mirror

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Prima Materia

The Magus
alkemical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 10:00 AM   #241
Arkansas Bronco
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ryan Clady

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Dude
I'm halfway into the third book now (A Storm of Swords) and the series is still rocking, but since there's been so much discussion about Narnia, I should probably emphasize that the Game of Thrones series is in no way shape or form suitable for kids. Lots of sex, lots of depravity, lots of very graphic violence. Great stuff, though.
Never viewed this topic before but I also liked the Songs of Fire and Ice books. Still havnt finished Feast for Crows yet but that is because they took jon out and put him in the next book (Dance with Dragons). Also some of my favorite fantasy books are the Serpentwar Saga by Raymond E. Feist. Names of the books are Shaddow of a Dark Queen, Rise of a Merchant Prince, Rage of a Demon King, and Shards of a Broken Crown. Also like Cbs said earlier in this thread the Sword of Truth novels (he called it the wizard first rule books) are also good reads kind of slows a bit in the middle but started getting better here of late.
Arkansas Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 01:19 PM   #242
mosca
grand pubah

honest optimism

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Bubby Brister

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkansas_Bronco
Never viewed this topic before but I also liked the Songs of Fire and Ice books. Still havnt finished Feast for Crows yet but that is because they took jon out and put him in the next book (Dance with Dragons).
Feast for Crows is by far the worst of the series! No Jon Snow, no Tyrion... I read about 1/3rd of it and had to stop just out of sheer boredom. It's almost as if Martin is taking a cue from Robert Jordan in prolonging his books with unnecessary characters and plotpoints. Let's hope Dance with Dragons is back up to par.
mosca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 01:27 PM   #243
Arkansas Bronco
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ryan Clady

Quote:
Originally Posted by mosca
Feast for Crows is by far the worst of the series! No Jon Snow, no Tyrion... I read about 1/3rd of it and had to stop just out of sheer boredom. It's almost as if Martin is taking a cue from Robert Jordan in prolonging his books with unnecessary characters and plotpoints. Let's hope Dance with Dragons is back up to par.
Yea Jon is my favorite character now since my other one has kind of died. Like you I am having a hard time with this book and i was so excited when it came out. They put almost all the characters I dont like and put them in one book. It seems like alot of novels start to struggle about the 4rth book or so.
Arkansas Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 01:32 PM   #244
scorpio
Cubicle Pimp

Alright, fellow George R.R. Martin nerds. I finished A Feast For Crows but it took me a long time and I read a couple other books in between. All in all not quite the page turner as the previous books, but makes me really look forward to the next one.

Valar Morghulis. All men must die.

Currently re-reading "The Moon Is A Harsh Mistress" by Heinlein
scorpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 02:37 PM   #245
ludo21
RIP Darrent Williams

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Paul Ernster

"Cell" is pretty good so far, it sure does start out quick.
ludo21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2006, 02:49 PM   #246
mosca
grand pubah

honest optimism

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Bubby Brister

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkansas_Bronco
Yea Jon is my favorite character now since my other one has kind of died. Like you I am having a hard time with this book and i was so excited when it came out. They put almost all the characters I dont like and put them in one book. It seems like alot of novels start to struggle about the 4rth book or so.
yeah... i think i actually read that somewhere, that he wrote both this and the next book at once and the publisher decided to split them into two novels due to length. so all the crap characters got shoveled into this book and hopefully all the interesting ones are in the next (fingers crossed). i stopped reading it and read some other stuff i've been wanting to read, but i'm sure i will eventually come back and finish it, especially before the 5th one comes out.

scorpio - does the book at least start to get better towards the latter half of it?
mosca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2006, 02:55 PM   #247
alkemical
Guerrilla Ontologist

rorrim|mirror

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Prima Materia

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/076...lance&n=283155
alkemical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2006, 03:14 PM   #248
Old Dude
Super Moderator

Consultant

I finished Stalingrad a few weeks ago, as well as some other WWII histories and decided I needed something lighter.

So I just started vol. 8 of Jim Butcher's Dresden Files, "Proven Guilty". This is kind of a cross between Harry Potter, Sam Spade, Dr. Strange and Buffy the Vampire Slayer, all set in modern Chicago. Lightweight pap, but very well done.
Old Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2006, 03:27 PM   #249
scorpio
Cubicle Pimp

Quote:
Originally Posted by mosca
yeah... i think i actually read that somewhere, that he wrote both this and the next book at once and the publisher decided to split them into two novels due to length. so all the crap characters got shoveled into this book and hopefully all the interesting ones are in the next (fingers crossed). i stopped reading it and read some other stuff i've been wanting to read, but i'm sure i will eventually come back and finish it, especially before the 5th one comes out.

scorpio - does the book at least start to get better towards the latter half of it?

Yeah, it picks up a bit; I'd still recommend finishing it if you get a chance. Mostly this book is a lot of politics, but it seems to be building toward a lot of action in the next book. Dragons!
scorpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2006, 03:27 PM   #250
Old Dude
Super Moderator

Consultant

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpio
Alright, fellow George R.R. Martin nerds. I finished A Feast For Crows but it took me a long time and I read a couple other books in between. All in all not quite the page turner as the previous books, but makes me really look forward to the next one.

The Cersei is quite the Stateswoman isn't she?
Old Dude is offline   Reply With Quote