The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Other Sports Discussion > MLB
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 03-30-2006, 05:39 AM   #26
OrangeShadow
armed

and dangerous

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkie
St. Louis will win the WS.

Did you predict that in 2004 to?
OrangeShadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2006, 08:13 AM   #27
bendog
Marginally Continent

David Bowens, he'd be an upgrade

Adopt-a-Bronco:
David Bowens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlas
baseballs here?? (YAWN)
nah, when it's too hot to run outside, it makes the treadmill less boring.

I knew I really needed to find a life when I got into pro bowling reruns from the Webber era.

Is that a job or what? You can be an athlete into your 40s and drink beer and eat ground beef doing it.
bendog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2006, 08:15 AM   #28
Jens1893
Ring of Famer

is roger clemens gonna play this season? whats the deal with him?
Jens1893 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2006, 09:44 AM   #29
Smelvin
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Slap-
He's going to finish second to Rich Harden.
I love Rich Harden's upside, but due to his diminutive frame he simply can't stay healthy. Much like Tim Hudson. When healthy Harden is as nasty as anyone, but I don't think he can log enough innings to capture the CY.
Smelvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2006, 10:20 AM   #30
27atwater
THANK U!

sphincter says "what"?

I'll be at Shea on opening day!
27atwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2006, 10:20 AM   #31
Bronco LB 59
Ring of Famer

Keep your head up dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by ro_50
I hope my Tribe can put its late season nosedive in 2005 behind them. It begins Sunday for me when the Tribe play the White Sx.
The American League Central is going to be exciting with the Pale Hose, Cleveland and Minnesota. Detroit won't be a pushover, either.

How long do you think Aaron Boone will stick at the hot corner before the Indians call up Andy Marte?

Do you think C.C. Sabathia is due for his breakout season?
Bronco LB 59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2006, 10:21 AM   #32
Bronco LB 59
Ring of Famer

Keep your head up dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clockwork Orange
I'm holding out hope that this is the year that the Rockies can make the jump from bad to medicore. Baby steps.
They had the best record in the National League West during the 2nd half in 2005 but that is not saying much.
Old 03-30-2006, 10:27 AM   #33
Bronco LB 59
Ring of Famer

Keep your head up dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by 24champbailey
Blue team should kick the crap out of the Padres right LB52?
I hate Tommy Lasorda and the Dodgers almost as much as the Raiders. Blue doesn't have an Ace and they can't count on a full season from J.D. or Nomar.
Old 03-30-2006, 10:41 AM   #34
Bronco LB 59
Ring of Famer

Keep your head up dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smelvin
Things are looking great for both Bay Area teams. The Giants, if healthy, should win the West by 10+ games. A full year of Randy Winn and a healthy Steve Finley as the 4th OF are huge upghrades from last year. Say whatever the hell you want about Bonds...but he mashes like none other, roids or no roids, and the impact he makes in the linup to the surrounding players is Ruthian. With him in the lineup Giants would have won the division last year going away. Rotation should be rock solid with Schmidt in a contract year, Morris, and the youngsters Lowry and Cain busting on the scene.
Giants have the best rotation in the division, but that's where their strengths end. Their bullpen stinks. Do Mel Ott, Frankie Frisch and Bill Terry still play everyday for the Giants? I have never seen a team so dependent on 40 something year olds.

Bonds has bad knees and all sorts of other physical ailments such as a bad elbow. I doubt he plays half the season. Hopefully, the baseball gods finish his career before he can pass the Sultan of Swat.
Old 03-30-2006, 10:47 AM   #35
ro_50
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronco LB 52
The American League Central is going to be exciting with the Pale Hose, Cleveland and Minnesota. Detroit won't be a pushover, either.

How long do you think Aaron Boone will stick at the hot corner before the Indians call up Andy Marte?

Do you think C.C. Sabathia is due for his breakout season?
Andy Marte really impressed in spring training, he got his weight up from 190 to 210 and hit the ball well.

It depends, if Boone gets off to an anemic start like he did last year, GM Mark Shapiro may feel its time to bring Marte up from Buffalo.

I like Boone but to many times last year, him, Ben Broussard and Casey Blake were just awful with runners in scoring position and with their lack of production.

If the Tribe struggle out of the gate, which has happened the past two years, they may feel inclined to bring up Marte to try and jump start the offense.

I think Boone is here this year and unless he has an unbelievable year, Marte will take over in 2007.

C.C. struggled in spring this year but he's been solid the past two seasons, but this has to be the year he moves in to the upper-echleon.

Personally, I think Clff Lee is a better pitcher than C.C., even though I like this century's version of Sid Fernandez.
ro_50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2006, 11:25 AM   #36
24champ
Livin' the dream!

Keep Calm and Chive on

Adopt-a-Bronco:
DomCasual

Quote:
I hate Tommy Lasorda and the Dodgers almost as much as the Raiders. Blue doesn't have an Ace and they can't count on a full season from J.D. or Nomar.
Clearly the dodgers own the Padres and thats why you hate them. Besides th eDodgers have alot of vets on the team and quality depth. We have Penny who is the ace and Lowe had an excellent spring. Once we get Gagne back its game over !for the rest of the division!
24champ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2006, 11:46 AM   #37
-Slap-
Ring of Famer

Quote:
I love Rich Harden's upside, but due to his diminutive frame he simply can't stay healthy. Much like Tim Hudson. When healthy Harden is as nasty as anyone, but I don't think he can log enough innings to capture the CY.
Poppycock! Look at Pedro and Maddux.
-Slap- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2006, 12:11 PM   #38
Smelvin
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Giants have the best rotation in the division, but that's where their strengths end. Their bullpen stinks.
Their penn is much better than people think. Not a lot of big names, but some very live arms. Worrell looks like the Worrell of two years ago and if so is an excellent set-up guy. Scott Munter, Jeremy Accardo and Jack Taschner are names only Giants fans know. They all are very promising.

I think when all is said and done their penn will be a strength.
Old 03-30-2006, 12:15 PM   #39
Smelvin
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Slap-
Poppycock! Look at Pedro and Maddux.
I am not alone in questioning Harden's durability. It's been his only restraint thus far, and many here in the Bay Area are quite worried it will persist.
Old 03-30-2006, 12:17 PM   #40
MileHighMagic
Ho-Slayer

SAUCED

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Dave Logan

Red Sox ended their drought in 04
White Sox ended theirs in 05

CHICAGO CUBS WS CHAMPS IN 06
MileHighMagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2006, 12:42 PM   #41
bombay
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkie
St. Louis will win the WS.

I've been in Denver 25 years and have converted in every other sport....

but I loves me some St. Louis Cardinals!
bombay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2006, 12:45 PM   #42
bombay
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jens
is roger clemens gonna play this season? whats the deal with him?
I'd be willing to wager he'll find a situation he likes and be pitching by mid-July.
bombay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2006, 12:47 PM   #43
ro_50
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileHighMagic
Red Sox ended their drought in 04
White Sox ended theirs in 05

CHICAGO CUBS WS CHAMPS IN 06

The more things change, the MORE THEY STAY THE SAME FOR THE CUBS.

Kerry Wood and Mark Prior are on the DL again, what else is new.
Old 03-30-2006, 03:26 PM   #44
Archer81
Optimum Homo

Tactical Neck.

Baseball players= crotch stuffing divas.

Archer81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2006, 03:26 PM   #45
Bronco LB 59
Ring of Famer

Keep your head up dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by ro_50
Andy Marte really impressed in spring training, he got his weight up from 190 to 210 and hit the ball well.

It depends, if Boone gets off to an anemic start like he did last year, GM Mark Shapiro may feel its time to bring Marte up from Buffalo.

I like Boone but to many times last year, him, Ben Broussard and Casey Blake were just awful with runners in scoring position and with their lack of production.

If the Tribe struggle out of the gate, which has happened the past two years, they may feel inclined to bring up Marte to try and jump start the offense.

I think Boone is here this year and unless he has an unbelievable year, Marte will take over in 2007.

C.C. struggled in spring this year but he's been solid the past two seasons, but this has to be the year he moves in to the upper-echleon.

Personally, I think Clff Lee is a better pitcher than C.C., even though I like this century's version of Sid Fernandez.
WOW! I didn't know Marte put on weight. Marte also struggled in his initial big league experience. He is a well-rounded third base talent, but Shapiro is probably doing the right thing giving him more Triple-A experience. I guess Boone got another chance after he hit .280, 8 HR, 34 RBI in the second half last year.

HAHAHA! I love the comparison with El Sid! Cliff Lee certainly gets by with less than C.C but I think Sabathia might be ready to turn the corner after his groundball rate improved by 10% last season.
Old 03-30-2006, 03:33 PM   #46
Bronco LB 59
Ring of Famer

Keep your head up dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by 24champbailey
Clearly the dodgers own the Padres and thats why you hate them. Besides th eDodgers have alot of vets on the team and quality depth. We have Penny who is the ace and Lowe had an excellent spring. Once we get Gagne back its game over !for the rest of the division!
Penny is a good #2, but he's far from an Ace. He has never been healthy enough to show his true talent. Last season, he had a disapointing season despite pitching well into mid-September.

Anyways, I think the Dodgers are the favorite in a wide open division, but mostly because of their deep farm system. Arizona does as well, but they don't have the pitching.
Old 03-30-2006, 03:36 PM   #47
Bronco LB 59
Ring of Famer

Keep your head up dog

Quote:
Their penn is much better than people think. Not a lot of big names, but some very live arms. Worrell looks like the Worrell of two years ago and if so is an excellent set-up guy. Scott Munter, Jeremy Accardo and Jack Taschner are names only Giants fans know. They all are very promising.

I think when all is said and done their penn will be a strength.

I love Accardo. I think he's going to be the Giants best reliever this season. Munter and Taschner don't overly impress me. They're adequate.
Old 03-30-2006, 04:38 PM   #48
Smelvin
Pro Bowler

Quote:
I love Accardo. I think he's going to be the Giants best reliever this season. Munter and Taschner don't overly impress me. They're adequate.
I actually think Munter is the best of the bunch. He serves up double play ground balls like it's nobody's business. And with Merkin Valdez on the horizon, things are looking up for the G's.
Old 03-30-2006, 04:44 PM   #49
ro_50
Ring of Famer

Quote:
WOW! I didn't know Marte put on weight. Marte also struggled in his initial big league experience. He is a well-rounded third base talent, but Shapiro is probably doing the right thing giving him more Triple-A experience. I guess Boone got another chance after he hit .280, 8 HR, 34 RBI in the second half last year.

HAHAHA! I love the comparison with El Sid! Cliff Lee certainly gets by with less than C.C but I think Sabathia might be ready to turn the corner after his groundball rate improved by 10% last season.

I agree with you, Shapiro is doing the right thing. He's really talented, but that would be a tough pressure spot if you play an inexperienced guy at an important position on what is suppose to be a contending team.

And Boone is a veteran third base guy but he needs to hit, like you stated he did in the second half, to keep the Tribe fan base happy and most of all, manager Eric Wedge.
Old 03-30-2006, 05:13 PM   #50
24champ
Livin' the dream!

Keep Calm and Chive on

Adopt-a-Bronco:
DomCasual

Quote:
Penny is a good #2, but he's far from an Ace. He has never been healthy enough to show his true talent. Last season, he had a disapointing season despite pitching well into mid-September.

Anyways, I think the Dodgers are the favorite in a wide open division, but mostly because of their deep farm system. Arizona does as well, but they don't have the pitching.
Arizona should be a really good team in one-two years. Furcal was a nice pickup, however the only way I see another team winning the division is if the Dodgers get the injury bug again. I dont see anything great about the padres other than old catchers.
24champ is offline   Reply With Quote