The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 01-07-2011, 02:06 AM   #1
That One Guy
Producer of Nonsense

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default OT: Moving To A City!

Alright, I have to ask for help in a topic I really don't know how to approach. When in doubt, Omane is the answer to all of life's problems so here's the deal: the Clampets are movin' to the city and I don't really know how to do it.

My wife just found out the military is moving us to South Florida. She's gonna be a recruiter and got assigned to Miami. For them, Miami can mean anywhere between Miami and Orlando and about 40 miles in from the coast. Catch is, I've never been to a city bigger than Louisville with the exception of one visit to Invesco, one visit to Ford Field (which just about killed me), and a school trip to Seattle when I was a kid but the bus dropped us off in front of a theater, picked us up there, and we went home. Other than that, anytime I'm near a city I stop on the very outskirts and then take the freeway to GTFO.

Now, this problem is compounded by the fact that I'm starting another semester of school next week and she's supposed to arrive in FL in late April before my classes are up. That means there wont be opportunities to scout ahead and make plans. Also, due to the fact that there's no military post there as we're accustomed to in previous moves, I don't really know how to make preparations in advance and don't know what to look for. I popped up Trulia.com to see what some houses listed in the area are for but then I see a $200k house in Miami that doesn't look bad at all... and instantly start looking for chalk outlines and bullet holes.

So for those who are more accustomed with cities and can evaluate somewhere with more depth than projected life expectancy, what do you look for when you're trying to move blindly to a new place and what tools do you use? We'll know a more exact location in the next month but seeing as wherever we end up, I need a college and she wont be working more then about 40 miles from the coast... I don't expect this to be a non-factor wherever they decide.

Let 'er rip... but if anyone has helpful advice, I'd appreciate it. In the past, I've always been more concerned with where I can run my rabbit dogs or where the catfishin' holes are at.
That One Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-07-2011, 02:29 AM   #2
OBF1
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Marvin Austin

40 miles inland from Miami is Everglades National park.... Keep your rabid dogs inside the house or he might become gator bait. Just sayin
OBF1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 02:31 AM   #3
That One Guy
Producer of Nonsense

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBF1 View Post
40 miles inland from Miami is Everglades National park.... Keep your rabid dogs inside the house or he might become gator bait. Just sayin
I've actually been curious about that too if anyone has input. I immediately went reading and they seem to have something that looks like a smaller cottontail (pic I saw looked like a rabbit/ferret mix maybe) but acts like a swamp rabbit. But in my mind, everything wild in Florida is going to get eaten by a gator so I don't know if the dogs will get to go run.

Man, I'm leaving my element here.
That One Guy is offline   Reply With Quote