The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 11-25-2009, 10:47 PM   #1
Popps
TEAM FIRST.

Default Peyton Hillis

So, we've heard speculation from a few corners that he's had issues with coaching, or picking up the playbook. Being someone who thought he had starter written all over him, I found that tough to believe. But, I read it in a few places... and then even received a PM from what seemed a reliable source with no reason to make anything up. I didn't discredit the info, but didn't buy into it completely, either.

Yet, two offensive masterminds chose not to make him a starter, despite what looks like good physical tools.

So, after these rumors persisted, I googled a bit and came across this. Apparently, something called a "SIGMA" test, which is part of an "HRT Profile" that I'm guessing scouts use, which cites Wonderlic info, etc.

Again, I think Hillis has the physical tools to be productive, but this was an interesting read, if for no other reason... the detail it includes.

It's a PDF download. Find it by googling "Hillis SIGMA." I'm guessing this probably wasn't meant for public consumption so much as for some sort of scouting use. It doesn't sound like it's written for commercial consumption.

Hillis’s SIGMA test results raise several concerns. The approach he took to learning and preparation in college produced a personal belief that he was not able to consistently execute his responsibilities in games. There are strong indications that he needs to take more personal responsibility for learning what he needs to know. His coaches should make him execute, again and again, his responsibilities in game-like time constraints. During the off-season, pre-season, and practice, he will sometimes give less than his best effort and will let up when he sees an opportunity to do so. As a result, Hillis has not always been able to meet the challenges placed in front of him by his coaches. There were times when Hillis thought he came up short of meeting his own and his coaches’ expectations. He will be concerned about the kind of system he may be placed in and whether he can be successful and meet everyone’s requirements and demands. Hillis will tend to worry that he is not as prepared as he should be going into games. This self-doubt does not speak well for his chances of advancing and mastering his position requirements at the next level. Hillis is usually content to rely heavily on his natural abilities to get by and believes that his past coaches have had little impact on his performance. He thinks that he knows best and is less likely to listen to coaches’ advice and instructions and instead will try to play the game his own way. When things are not going well for him, Hillis will be openly critical and question his coaches and his teammates.

Do with it what you will, but it's interesting... considering the rumors and the circumstances.
Popps is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-25-2009, 11:01 PM   #2
Hogan11
Rock-N-Roll Historian

Let's take these SOB's out!!!!!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Floyd Little

He's as good as gone next year.
Hogan11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 11:05 PM   #3
Popps
TEAM FIRST.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hogan11 View Post
He's as good as gone next year.
Yea, it's tough for me to believe... but it could happen. He wouldn't be the first guy with physical gifts that couldn't execute them properly.

Who knows how accurate any of this is, but at a certain point... you have to look for reasons.

McDaniels made a 1st round pick inactive last week, showing that (obviously) he's got no agenda of making his draft picks appear to be something they're not. He's starting plenty of Shanahan guys. He's clearly a guy who will start the player that gives him the best chance of winning. I'd say he's probably pretty ruthless in that regard.

So, when you look at a guy with Hillis' ability... and he's not receiving playing time, you have to wonder if some of this stuff carries weight.
Old 11-25-2009, 11:23 PM   #4
watermock
"Hoodie Jr"

"Hug me!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popps View Post
Yea, it's tough for me to believe... but it could happen. He wouldn't be the first guy with physical gifts that couldn't execute them properly.

Who knows how accurate any of this is, but at a certain point... you have to look for reasons.

McDaniels made a 1st round pick inactive last week, showing that (obviously) he's got no agenda of making his draft picks appear to be something they're not. He's starting plenty of Shanahan guys. He's clearly a guy who will start the player that gives him the best chance of winning. I'd say he's probably pretty ruthless in that regard.

So, when you look at a guy with Hillis' ability... and he's not receiving playing time, you have to wonder if some of this stuff carries weight.
Other than the fact Hillis was a 7th rounder or we traded into the top 10 for an inactive nickleback?
watermock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 02:13 AM   #5
Hulamau
Polynesian Paralysis

In the Pocket

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popps View Post

Interesting article I've always liked Hillis and wished him well, and you can never really judge a book by its cover, but often times his expression conveys a good 'ole boy who looks to be a few eggs short of a dozen.

Though in fairness, the same can be said for probably 50% of the NFL :-) Some coaches included ....

Last edited by Hulamau; 11-26-2009 at 02:15 AM..
Hulamau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 11:06 PM   #6
Los Broncos
Broncos Country

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ryan Clady

You might be right, that sure would piss off the Bronco nation.

Good find Popps thanks for posting, very interesting.
Los Broncos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 11:09 PM   #7
Hogan11
Rock-N-Roll Historian

Let's take these SOB's out!!!!!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Floyd Little

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Clady View Post
You might be right, that sure would piss off the Bronco nation.

Good find Popps thanks for posting, very interesting.
As we have seen, McD has no issue at all with pissing off the Bronco Nation.

Popps said the magic word here...ruthless. A trait no doubt, he learned from his mentor.
Hogan11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 11:19 PM   #8
Los Broncos
Broncos Country

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ryan Clady

Quote:

Popps said the magic word here...ruthless. A trait no doubt, he learned from his mentor.
If he isn't going to be around next season I at least want to see him run one more time.
Los Broncos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 12:15 AM   #9
errand
Ring of Famer

Forgot more than you'll ever know

Quote:

...his mentor who has won 3 of 4 NFL title bouts this decade. I find it amazing that when it comes to players, you guys don't care if they come from Penn State or the State Pen...but when it comes to coaching, being politically correct and honorable is the first thing you look for.

I don't care as long as they win games...the hows and whys can be debated by the other 31 teams that didn't win it all.
errand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 11:11 PM   #10
Lev Vyvanse
Ring of Famer

He has the same problem as cutler, all pro from the shoulders down and a empty head.
Lev Vyvanse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 11:17 PM   #11
Play2win
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
The Duke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lev Vyvanse View Post
He has the same problem as cutler, all pro from the shoulders down and a empty head.
No doubt I thought I was reading a Cutler analysis, not hillis.
Play2win is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 11:21 PM   #12
Natedog24
Ring of Famer

Win The Day

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward

It will be pretty disappointing if Hillis goes on to have a great career elsewhere in the NFL. Really thought he was going to be the compliment back to Moreno for many years here in Denver or at least a real force at FB...
Natedog24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 11:25 PM   #13
houghtam
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Play2Win View Post
No doubt I thought I was reading a Cutler analysis, not hillis.
^ this
houghtam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 11:27 PM   #14
Taco John
24/7 Broncos

All Hail King Midas

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lev Vyvanse View Post
How is it that Hillis was able to perform in Shanahan's offense if he's so stupid? Shanahan's scheme isn't exactly green eggs and ham.
Taco John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 11:33 PM   #15
SoCalBronco
Nixonite

Adopt-a-Bronco:
D.J. Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco John View Post
How is it that Hillis was able to perform in Shanahan's offense if he's so stupid? Shanahan's scheme isn't exactly green eggs and ham.
Very good point. That was also a very complicated offense and he was able to perform not only in the run game but also the passing game. Shanahan also trusted him enough to leave him in to pass protect. I find it hard to believe that he's suddenly, magically too dumb to play, or unwilling to prepare, or unwilling to be coachable. The note Popps posted is interesting, but I just have a hard time squaring its conclusions with what's already been proven about Hillis in game action (and not just in one or two games, either).
Old 11-25-2009, 11:43 PM   #16
Popps
TEAM FIRST.

Quote:
He really didn't, Taco. Shanahan did everything he could to keep him off the field. Injuries put him in the starting role. He certainly played well in that role, and I became a huge fan.

But, if he can't pick up blocks, and can't execute the game plan and work with coaching, you can't reward a guy with a starting job.

Again, it's just speculation. I agree... he looks great with the ball in his hands.

He averaged 5.0 yards a carry in college. Why did he last until the 5th round?

Why didn't Shanahan/Turner make him a starter earlier?

Why is McDaniels choosing the same path?

I'm fairly sure McDaniels and Turner have YouTube. They've probably seen him with the ball in his hands.

At a certain point, you have to assume there's a reason.

Or, perhaps Shanahan and McDaniels simply are both incorrect about him being starting material. Who knows... but here we are.
Old 11-26-2009, 12:21 AM   #17
errand
Ring of Famer

Forgot more than you'll ever know

Quote:
That what makes his absence from the playing field so vexing.....but I'm dure if he was the best option available, he'd be starting....or at least getting some time in.
errand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 11:23 PM   #18
strafen

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Elway

Hillis, a guy who was thrown into the fire last year when all of our RB's went down, and to perform the way he did in such a short notice not only was remarkable, but blows this circulating BS out of the water.
This is the most ignorant crap I've heard in a while.
The guy is not stupid. McD brought his "own" guys to carry the ball for him; C-Buck, Lamont Jordan, and Moreno who he got in the draft.
That made Hillis the odd man out.
Quit trying to speculate and read into BS stories that not me, and not you know anything about what really is going on.
People are trying to get into Hillis head to say stuff like, Hillis thinks this, Hillis thinkls that, baloney. Who does really know what he's thinking?
I just want Hillis to be given a chance to play a whole freaking game solid.
A considerable playing time and let him loose.
I guarantee you that if that was to happen, all of this crap being talked about will change right quick.
There will be a lot of new dumbasses born that day...
strafen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 06:01 AM   #19
Broncos_OTM
Dropping bombs from 5280

Broncos Over All

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragster69 View Post
Hillis, a guy who was thrown into the fire last year when all of our RB's went down, and to perform the way he did in such a short notice not only was remarkable, but blows this circulating BS out of the water.
The guy is not stupid. McD brought his "own" guys to carry the ball for him; C-Buck, Lamont Jordan, and Moreno who he got in the draft.
Quit trying to speculate and read into BS stories that not me, and not you know anything about what really is going on.
People are trying to get into Hillis head to say stuff like, Hillis thinks this, Hillis thinkls that, baloney. Who does really know what he's thinking?
I guarantee you that if that was to happen, all of this crap being talked about will change right quick.
that is why hillis was active last week and jordan wasnt...Another thing was that Moreno was drafted in the first of course he is going to see a heavy load of action buck is a established vet with injury concerns but is a great number two.. if he can stay healthy.

I am a tad bit concerned with Moreno and his fumbles but he has got tattooed to give up the ball its not like he doesnt carry the ball right. just some damn good hits
Broncos_OTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 10:14 AM   #20
Bronx33
lets go partner

Rumpson Rocks

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Woodyard

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragster69 View Post

Yep hillis is simply getting the short end of the stick from MCD.
Bronx33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 11:24 PM   #21
Taco John
24/7 Broncos

All Hail King Midas

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning

Someone posted this earlier this year. It's interesting stuff, but none of it changes that the guy has shown to be an absolute beast with the ball in his hands. The guy flat punishes the other team.

So whatever that SIGMA profile says, tell me we couldn't use this in our offense right now:

Taco John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 08:49 AM   #22
oubronco
John Foneco !!

Mile High Magic

Quote:
Someone posted this earlier this year. It's interesting stuff, but none of it changes that the guy has shown to be an absolute beast with the ball in his hands. The guy flat punishes the other team.

So whatever that SIGMA profile says, tell me we couldn't use this in our offense right now:

Exactly but I wouldn't be surprised to see him gone after the season along with Marshall and Stokely, with McD's so called complex mastermind offense noone on our team must be smart enough cause it isn't working and it isn't producing so he'll probably blame everyone but himself and get rid of them but we'll see after all he is a Genius right
oubronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 08:47 AM   #23
baja
Happy camper

Sweet

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ware

Quote:

I think he is saving him for the playoffs.
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 11:26 PM   #24
400HZ
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ed Hochuli

Those results sound a lot like the results you get from a Myers-Briggs or DiSC type personality assessment. The whole point of them is to point out personal weaknesses, and so they almost invariably come off sounding negative.

It's also a pretty well established fact that Houston Nutt is a vindictive prick to players who don't entirely buy into his way of doing things. I know that he has been accused of screwing over former players in the past.
400HZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 11:36 PM   #25
watermock
"Hoodie Jr"

"Hug me!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by 400HZ View Post
Those results sound a lot like the results you get from a Myers-Briggs or DiSC type personality assessment. The whole point of them is to point out personal weaknesses, and so they almost invariably come off sounding negative.

It's also a pretty well established fact that Houston Nutt is a vindictive prick to players who don't entirely buy into his way of doing things. I know that he has been accused of screwing over former players in the past.
Wow.

Go figure. Nutt would get kicked out of the KKK. He basically did.
watermock is offline   Reply With Quote