The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 05-30-2009, 07:39 AM   #1
footstepsfrom#27
helmet to helmet hitter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Joe Mays
Default Teenage Iraqi Math Genius Solves 300 Year Old Problem in 4 Months

This is the dude you'd wanta copy off of in Calculus class...betcha he's popular at parties too.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20090528...20090528124335

Iraq-born teen cracks maths puzzle

STOCKHOLM (AFP) A 16-year-old Iraqi immigrant living in Sweden has cracked a maths puzzle that has stumped experts for more than 300 years, Swedish media reported on Thursday.

In just four months, Mohamed Altoumaimi has found a formula to explain and simplify the so-called Bernoulli numbers, a sequence of calculations named after the 17th century Swiss mathematician Jacob Bernoulli, the Dagens Nyheter daily said.

Altoumaimi, who came to Sweden six years ago, said teachers at his high school in Falun, central Sweden were not convinced about his work at first.

"When I first showed it to my teachers, none of them thought the formula I had written down really worked," Altoumaimi told the Falu Kuriren newspaper.

He then got in touch with professors at Uppsala University, one of Sweden's top institutions, to ask them to check his work.

After going through his notebooks, the professors found his work was indeed correct and offered him a place in Uppsala.

But for now, Altoumaimi is focusing on his school studies and plans to take summer classes in advanced mathematics and physics this year.

"I wanted to be a researcher in physics or mathematics; I really like those subjects. But I have to improve in English and social sciences," he told the Falu Kuriren.
footstepsfrom#27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-30-2009, 07:57 AM   #2
Dukes
Ring of Famer

Give him a student visa to MIT
Dukes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 01:32 PM   #3
BroncoMan4ever
Ring of Famer

That's just like your opinion, man

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VIRGIL GREEN!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dukes View Post
Give him a student visa to MIT
screw that. we don't need anymore american taught Iraqis who are going to go on to become terrorists. keep his ass overseas
BroncoMan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 02:12 PM   #4
TonyR
Franchise Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoMan4ever View Post
screw that. we don't need anymore american taught Iraqis who are going to go on to become terrorists. keep his ass overseas
Wow, that's not even a little bit racist...
TonyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 04:49 PM   #5
BroncoMan4ever
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VIRGIL GREEN!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyR View Post
Wow, that's not even a little bit racist...
i don't care how it sounds. and if my not wanting to help any of those people because of the majority of them being anti-america, is a problem i don't care.

the majority of people there hate us and always will. why should i feel bad for not wanting to pay to educate or help those people, when if they had the chance they would kill myself or anyone here without ever thinking twice.
Old 05-30-2009, 02:35 PM   #6
UberBroncoMan
Your Local Nostradamus

2013... the year of Sci-Fi!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Duck Nacho

Quote:
In all honesty... if we keep an American presence in Iraq and are capable of turning the tide of thought to a much more pro-American view such as in Japan and South Korea I think we'll enjoy smart people coming out of Iraq. The problem in the middle east has been extreme religious (Islamic) insanity. Without that the entire region and even the world would be a better place. It's nice if you want to practice a faith but forcing everyone to do it from birth and making it the central focus in everyone's life to the point of advocating violence is much of the reason why we call the Dark Age (which was Christianity in Europe)... the DARK Age. The kid in the article sounds like he's got a good track in life and best of luck to him.
UberBroncoMan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 04:46 PM   #7
BroncoMan4ever
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VIRGIL GREEN!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by UberBroncoMan View Post
In all honesty... if we keep an American presence in Iraq and are capable of turning the tide of thought to a much more pro-American view such as in Japan and South Korea I think we'll enjoy smart people coming out of Iraq. The problem in the middle east has been extreme religious (Islamic) insanity. Without that the entire region and even the world would be a better place. It's nice if you want to practice a faith but forcing everyone to do it from birth and making it the central focus in everyone's life to the point of advocating violence is much of the reason why we call the Dark Age (which was Christianity in Europe)... the DARK Age. The kid in the article sounds like he's got a good track in life and best of luck to him.
it doesn't matter how long americans remain in that area of the world. those people hate us and will always hate us. the minute this war ends and the troops come home, that place is going to return to the war torn piece of **** it has always been.

and with that kid, he seems good now. but a majority of the higher ups in those terrorist groups are guys who 20-30 years ago were good kids went to american schools and then years later became fanatics who hate america.

i know it sounds like a dickhead way to think, but i would much rather not do anything for anyone in that area of the world, rather than educate or help them and regret it in a few years.
Old 05-30-2009, 04:42 PM   #8
Al Wilson
Perennial Pro-bowler

Quote:
STFU you piece of SH1T
Al Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 04:56 PM   #9
BroncoMan4ever
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VIRGIL GREEN!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Wilson View Post
STFU you piece of SH1T
**** you fag! got a problem with what i have to say, ignore it.
Old 05-30-2009, 05:20 PM   #10
Al Wilson
Perennial Pro-bowler

Quote:
**** you fag! got a problem with what i have to say, ignore it.
Ignore it? You're funny. You're being a douchebag saying some ****ed up **** on a forum. If you're a man go outside and try to be a dick, you f@ggot.
Al Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 08:06 AM   #11
tsiguy96
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

youre report is kinda false.
http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20090528...20090528174259
tsiguy96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 08:13 AM   #12
footstepsfrom#27
helmet to helmet hitter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Joe Mays

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsiguy96 View Post
Maybe...it doesn't say he didn't solve it, just that others have done so in the past.

In either case...still pretty funky.
Old 05-30-2009, 08:38 AM   #13
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

In fairness, it was a culturally and racially skewed math problem in his favor. If anyone's curious, it was:

"How many suicide bombers does it take to blow up every Jew in an Israeli disco?"
TheReverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 09:21 AM   #14
SureShot
Hurry! Hurry!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Russell

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReverend View Post
In fairness, it was a culturally and racially skewed math problem in his favor. If anyone's curious, it was:

"How many suicide bombers does it take to blow up every Jew in an Israeli disco?"
8?
SureShot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 12:23 PM   #15
Dukes
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReverend View Post

If so, why did the Japanese kid down the street finish the question faster?
Dukes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 11:31 AM   #16
SouthStndJunkie
Ring of Famer

Shannon Says: Listen to The Junkman

Hummus for everyone!
SouthStndJunkie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 11:40 AM   #17
Cito Pelon
Attack at all times . . .

Not2Shabby County Seat

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Slim Shabby

Quote:
Originally Posted by footstepsfrom#27 View Post
This is the dude you'd wanta copy off of in Calculus class...betcha he's popular at parties too.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20090528...20090528124335

Iraq-born teen cracks maths puzzle

STOCKHOLM (AFP) A 16-year-old Iraqi immigrant living in Sweden has cracked a maths puzzle that has stumped experts for more than 300 years, Swedish media reported on Thursday.

In just four months, Mohamed Altoumaimi has found a formula to explain and simplify the so-called Bernoulli numbers, a sequence of calculations named after the 17th century Swiss mathematician Jacob Bernoulli, the Dagens Nyheter daily said.

Altoumaimi, who came to Sweden six years ago, said teachers at his high school in Falun, central Sweden were not convinced about his work at first.

"When I first showed it to my teachers, none of them thought the formula I had written down really worked," Altoumaimi told the Falu Kuriren newspaper.

He then got in touch with professors at Uppsala University, one of Sweden's top institutions, to ask them to check his work.

After going through his notebooks, the professors found his work was indeed correct and offered him a place in Uppsala.

But for now, Altoumaimi is focusing on his school studies and plans to take summer classes in advanced mathematics and physics this year.

"I wanted to be a researcher in physics or mathematics; I really like those subjects. But I have to improve in English and social sciences," he told the Falu Kuriren.
Taliban gonna be looking to kill him real fast.
Cito Pelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 02:36 PM   #18
Anaximines
Anaximines

Anaximines

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Robert Ayers

... how many more like him have died in needless wars
Anaximines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 02:56 PM   #19
UberBroncoMan
Your Local Nostradamus

2013... the year of Sci-Fi!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Duck Nacho

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anaximines View Post
... and how many more like him have been suppressed, not given a proper education and taught that women are not even close to equal, due to insane regimes... essentially how many potentially amazing individuals have been corrupted due to the leadership around them and forced into a life of poverty? War is a part of life and while the WMD readon for Iraq was a bit silly (granted they would eventually go for them), it's going to do a tremendous amount for the people in that nation assuming their elected leadership takes a step forward rather than backwards. You're from Berkley though so your stance is expected. People are stupid and people rarely RARELY change. The only power for change true change in this world is "brainwashing" through either violence, education or the use of media.
UberBroncoMan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 03:14 PM   #20
Anaximines
Anaximines

Anaximines

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Robert Ayers

Quote:
Originally Posted by UberBroncoMan View Post
... and how many more like him have been suppressed, not given a proper education and taught that women are not even close to equal, due to insane regimes... essentially how many potentially amazing individuals have been corrupted due to the leadership around them and forced into a life of poverty? War is a part of life and while the WMD readon for Iraq was a bit silly (granted they would eventually go for them), it's going to do a tremendous amount for the people in that nation assuming their elected leadership takes a step forward rather than backwards. You're from Berkley though so your stance is expected. People are stupid and people rarely RARELY change. The only power for change true change in this world is "brainwashing" through either violence, education or the use of media.
Whoa, whoa, whoa, first of all I wasn't necessarily saying that the current war is needless (I meant it just as much in reference to 9/11), I certainly agree with you on the human-rights benefits to westernizing Iraq. But the article says that this kid moved away from Iraq 6 years ago, meaning that he spent his (formative) first 10 years in Iraq, and he doesn't seem to be too bad off for it (of course that's not saying that the oppressive culture there didn't hurt his intellectual development).

Yes, I'm from Berkeley but I have only been here for 10 months and I spent the first 24 years of my life in conservative Oklahoma voting for Bush

Things aren't always what they seem.
Old 05-30-2009, 04:54 PM   #21
BroncoMan4ever
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VIRGIL GREEN!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anaximines View Post
how many of our american troops need to die in needless wars?

in the big picture, i don't really care about any of these people in any other country, especially when it is between the life of an american soldier or the life of any person from any country regardless of them being innocent or not.
Old 05-30-2009, 11:55 PM   #22
Anaximines
Anaximines

Anaximines

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Robert Ayers

Quote:
in the big picture, i don't really care about any of these people in any other country, especially when it is between the life of an american soldier or the life of any person from any country regardless of them being innocent or not.
Life is precious, it shouldn't be wasted, I agree
Old 05-30-2009, 03:19 PM   #23
Anaximines
Anaximines

Anaximines

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Robert Ayers

I definitely agree that war can be for the greater good in the long term, it's just a tough pill to swallow
Old 05-30-2009, 04:46 PM   #24
footstepsfrom#27
helmet to helmet hitter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Joe Mays

Cripes. I should have known even a human interest story about a kid prodigy would provoke a new round of poltics and race fighting. Cue the A-hole spouting jokes about Jews burning alive in ovens now.
Old 05-30-2009, 04:48 PM   #25
Spider
Mr Diplomacy

I survived Tebow Mania at the Mane

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

Quote:
Originally Posted by footstepsfrom#27 View Post
Cripes. I should have known even a human interest story about a kid prodigy would provoke a new round of poltics and race fighting. Cue the A-hole spouting jokes about Jews burning alive in ovens now.
how many Iraqis does it take to ...............................
Spider is offline   Reply With Quote