The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-26-2009, 01:04 PM   #1
montrose
Ring of Famer
 

Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 6,077

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VP John Elway
Default Mountain West Conference pushing for an automatic BCS birth

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3861079

Report: MWC seeks boost in BCS status
ESPN.com news services

The nine-team Mountain West Conference is pushing for an automatic berth into the high-stakes, big-money BCS bowl mix, USA Today has reported.
Mountain West

Three teams in the conference, including undefeated Utah in sixth, TCU in 11th and BYU in 16th, finished among the top 25 in the final 2008 BCS standings, and the league's schools will press for a meeting of their presidents, chancellors and Mountain West commissioner Craig Thompson with Atlantic Coast commissioner and current BCS coordinator John Swofford, according to the newspaper.

"The argument I will hear back is, 'Craig, here it is. It's done. It's been agreed to. It's signed,'" Thompson said of a possible reply from the BCS regarding its legal obligations. "That doesn't mean you can't put it on the table.

"One of the options would be to visit with the BCS coordinator ... just to lay out our position."

He adds: "I would not be optimistic. As I explained to them [the Mountain West presidents], it's a series of legal contracts among 11 conferences, four bowls, two TV partners with yet another TV partner coming in. I would not see much of a relaxation."

The BCS bowl games' payout for each team's school is $17 million -- more than five times what teams in second-tier bowls garner.

For his part, Swofford recalled that the Mountain West was among the 11 conferences that agreed to the current model, which "incorporates the strength of a league as a whole over a series of years," the USA Today report says.

BCS coordinator duties are rotated among the commissioners from the Big East, Big 12 and SEC. Six conferences -- the Big East, Big Ten, Big 12, Pacific-10, SEC and ACC -- name champions that automatically qualify for the BCS' five bowl games.

Utah, Swofford told USA Today, "had a terrific season this year, and the BCS provided an excellent platform to showcase their team."

According to the report, an opening exists for a nonqualifying conference to gain the automatic status temporarily based on a BCS formula that includes "the number of top 25 teams, finish of the highest-ranked team and average rank of all teams over a four-year period."

But the Mountain West will be vying for the highest level of qualifying status, USA Today reported.
montrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-26-2009, 01:07 PM   #2
DomCasual
This one's for Pat!
 
DomCasual's Avatar
 
Shameless Homer

Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: SLC, UT
Posts: 13,994

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen
Default

The BCS sucks.
DomCasual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 01:24 PM   #3
Dudeskey
Ring of Famer
 
Dudeskey's Avatar
 
This space for rent

Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Colorado Springs, CO
Posts: 4,310
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DomCasual View Post
The BCS sucks.
So does the Mountain West... Just sayin'
Dudeskey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 01:24 PM   #4
Rock Chalk
Cheeky Bastards
 
Rock Chalk's Avatar
 
Laus Deo

Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: The Backside of the Internet
Posts: 29,750

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris
Default

BCS does suck but no way in hell does one good MWC year mean they should get an automatic berth in a BCS Bowl.
Rock Chalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 01:30 PM   #5
WyoLaw
Pheasant Tail
 
WyoLaw's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 484
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Chalk View Post
BCS does suck but no way in hell does one good MWC year mean they should get an automatic berth in a BCS Bowl.

One good year. HAHA!! What a bad memory you have.
WyoLaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 01:36 PM   #6
Rock Chalk
Cheeky Bastards
 
Rock Chalk's Avatar
 
Laus Deo

Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: The Backside of the Internet
Posts: 29,750

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoLaw View Post
One good year. HAHA!! What a bad memory you have.
I have a great memory and the MWC does not consistently put up 3+ good teams year in and year out.

Maybe to ****ty non-BCS conferences they put up good teams every year.
Rock Chalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 01:42 PM   #7
DomCasual
This one's for Pat!
 
DomCasual's Avatar
 
Shameless Homer

Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: SLC, UT
Posts: 13,994

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen
Default

There are a couple teams in the MWC that don't belong in the MWC. The top teams in the conference have pretty consistently been as good as some of the BCS teams this decade. You'll argue against the MWC, but feel fine with the Big East? Please.
DomCasual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 03:04 PM   #8
WyoLaw
Pheasant Tail
 
WyoLaw's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 484
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DomCasual View Post
You'll argue against the MWC, but feel fine with the Big East? Please.
My thoughts exactly.
WyoLaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 01:43 PM   #9
DomCasual
This one's for Pat!
 
DomCasual's Avatar
 
Shameless Homer

Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: SLC, UT
Posts: 13,994

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Chalk View Post
I have a great memory and the MWC does not consistently put up 3+ good teams year in and year out.

Maybe to ****ty non-BCS conferences they put up good teams every year.
Neither does the PAC-10 and Big East, but they're in.
DomCasual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 02:01 PM   #10
La Caspa Del Diablo
Rookie
 

Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 74
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DomCasual View Post
Neither does the PAC-10 and Big East, but they're in.
The Big East is the strongest argument for MWC's case.

If you want to put the Pac-10 in this mess, lets also throw the Big Ten and ACC in for good measure.
La Caspa Del Diablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 11:38 PM   #11
epicSocialism4tw
Tebowing the long haul
 
all the way to the title

Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: TX, USA
Posts: 36,819

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Champ Bailey
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DomCasual View Post
Neither does the PAC-10 and Big East, but they're in.
Yeah, MWC are right there with both of those conferences and are just about as competitive as the Big 10.


They should create a new conference...

TCU, Utah, Boise State, BYU, Colorado State, Marshall, UCF, Hawaii

That conference deserves a bid.
epicSocialism4tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 01:44 PM   #12
snowspot66
Ring of Famer
 

Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 4,858
Default

Self sustaining system. Kids want to go to the automatic bid conference schools because they are the big name conferences. It's a recruitment advantage. Kids start seeing these other schools in the big bowl games and it will even that out a bit. The extra cash they would have to put into their program would go an even further distance in getting talent because they could really upgrade their facilities.
snowspot66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 01:47 PM   #13
BABronco
RP2012
 
BABronco's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Colorado
Posts: 2,173

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Clady
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowspot66 View Post
Self sustaining system. Kids want to go to the automatic bid conference schools because they are the big name conferences. It's a recruitment advantage. Kids start seeing these other schools in the big bowl games and it will even that out a bit. The extra cash they would have to put into their program would go an even further distance in getting talent because they could really upgrade their facilities.
Agreed!
BABronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 02:14 PM   #14
GoHAM
Ring of Famer
 
GoHAM's Avatar
 
36, now that's shabby!

Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: County 5
Posts: 1,212

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mitch Unrein
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowspot66 View Post
Self sustaining system. Kids want to go to the automatic bid conference schools because they are the big name conferences. It's a recruitment advantage. Kids start seeing these other schools in the big bowl games and it will even that out a bit. The extra cash they would have to put into their program would go an even further distance in getting talent because they could really upgrade their facilities.
Agreed, plus with an automatic berth into the BCS the national networks would start paying more attention to the MWC which in turn would create more buzz, raise the national awareness of the MWC and lead to a better talent base for the MWC. This in turn would generate more money for the league and extend the fanbase of the BCS and allow them to push off the calls for a playoff system by saying they are taking steps to "tweak" their impossibly broken system.
GoHAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 01:50 PM   #15
Kaylore
Because I am better
 
Kaylore's Avatar
 
Everything

Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Ceti Alpha V
Posts: 47,054

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Chalk View Post
I have a great memory and the MWC does not consistently put up 3+ good teams year in and year out.

Maybe to ****ty non-BCS conferences they put up good teams every year.
Yeah Alec, and all the conferences in the Big East are rockin' it year in and out.
Kaylore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 02:32 PM   #16
gunns
I WANT DEFENSE!
 
gunns's Avatar
 
Defense, defense, defense

Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Always Hoping
Posts: 12,690

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Chalk View Post
I have a great memory and the MWC does not consistently put up 3+ good teams year in and year out.

Maybe to ****ty non-BCS conferences they put up good teams every year.
3+ good teams year in and year out? So what's the criteria for a good team? The final standings? The teams they play? The fact they play in a certain conference? Because I'm looking at the final standings for MWC and they are as good if not better than the other conferences.

You're deluded if you think the BCS conferences play better talent. Overall they may play one good team depending on the year. Alabama, from the SEC, was thought to be #1 for quite awhile this season, Utah shellacked them, then all of a sudden they weren't really that good. What's the problem with giving teams that prove themselves a chance at what other schools get a chance at. And non-BCS schools might just generate a lot more income if they were given the same chance. Most of what's being said here by everyone is opinion.
gunns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 04:13 PM   #17
24champ
Bring back Kubiak!
 
24champ's Avatar
 
Keep Calm and Chive on

Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Southern California
Posts: 19,976

Adopt-a-Bronco:
DomCasual
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Chalk View Post
I have a great memory and the MWC does not consistently put up 3+ good teams year in and year out.

Maybe to ****ty non-BCS conferences they put up good teams every year.
The MWC is going to add Boise State as a Member to its conference either this summer when the MWC presidents meet up for review, or the next time they have a review in a couple years. I think it's best to leave Boise State in the WAC for now while they can pile up wins and have perhaps a better shot to play in a BCS game with a weak conference than being in the MWC.

The reason is, as stated in the article, the BCS reviews the strength of the Conference over the years by rankings and wins. However if the BCS says, we'll add you if you add BSU to the conference...then BSU will be added.

But that's where it stops for expansion. I don't want the MWC to be a WAC-16 conference...which was the reason the MWC members left the WAC.

The MWC isn't going to get AQ status immediately, but Thompson is setting the stage for down the road.
24champ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 04:46 PM   #18
Irish Stout
Ring of Famer
 
Irish Stout's Avatar
 
Run for it Marty!

Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Colorado
Posts: 3,991

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Wesley Woodyard
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Chalk View Post
I have a great memory and the MWC does not consistently put up 3+ good teams year in and year out.

Maybe to ****ty non-BCS conferences they put up good teams every year.
They have consistently put up more good teams over the past decade than the Big 12 north, so maybe they should kick out the Big 12 North and Baylor and add the MWC. Your argument is just as ridiculous as mine.

MWC is not a great conference, but its not a bad conference either like Big East... its probably better than the PAC 10 considering the consistency of the Utah schools, the staying power of TCU, and the random toss up you get out of one of the three front range schools. Put em into the BCS permanently and you'll get a lot more high school kids eager to attend a MWC school, therefore making their programs all the better.
Irish Stout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 05:23 PM   #19
La Caspa Del Diablo
Rookie
 

Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 74
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Stout View Post
MWC is not a great conference, but its not a bad conference either like Big East... its probably better than the PAC 10 considering the consistency of the Utah schools, the staying power of TCU, and the random toss up you get out of one of the three front range schools.
I am the biggest supporter of the MWC, but lets not go overboard with the Pac-10 hate here. You mention BYU-Utah-TCU as a pillar of strength for the MWC, but USC-Oregon-California has been a consistent trio for the Pac-10 this decade.

I think where the Pac-10 distances itself from the MWC and Big Ten are the middle-of-pack schools. It's a dogfight in the middle. Dennis Erickson (Arizona St.), Jim Harbaugh (Stanford) and Rick Neuheisel (UCLA) are big-time coaches who recruit well and they will give Oregon-Cal a run for their money in the short-term.

I haven't even mentioned the Oregon St. program that has been a consistent bowl team this decade with a BCS bowl win under their belt.

Washington is in the dumps right now, but they were the best Pac-10 program in the 90s and they have the tradition, prestige, facilities and alumni to restore the program.

Pac-10 is not in the same class as the SEC or Big XII, but I think they have a strong case for the #3-4 spot among conferences. They were also the only conference to finish their bowl season (5-0) undefeated.
La Caspa Del Diablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 01:31 PM   #20
ludo21
RIP Darrent Williams
 
ludo21's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Glendale, AZ
Posts: 19,980

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Paul Ernster
Default

BCS is a terrible system, but MWC does not deserve an auto bid just because they have had a good season.
ludo21 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 01:32 PM   #21
houghtam
Ring of Famer
 

Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 6,396
Default

The current BCS system sucks, and even though the top team of the MWC has strung together several good seasons, they don't deserve to get in.

Because they don't generate 1/10 of the money the other conferences do.

There, I said what everyone else was afraid to.
houghtam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 01:31 PM   #22
WolfpackGuy
Call me, "Maybe"
 
WolfpackGuy's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Delaware
Posts: 7,266
Default

No waiting for 9 months and you get a year's supply of Pampers.
I'm sure the ladies will love it.
WolfpackGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 03:44 PM   #23
Pick Six
Armchair Poster
 
Pick Six's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Topeka, KS
Posts: 22,742

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Isaiah Burse
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfpackGuy View Post
No waiting for 9 months and you get a year's supply of Pampers.
I'm sure the ladies will love it.
Pick Six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 01:50 PM   #24
DomCasual
This one's for Pat!
 
DomCasual's Avatar
 
Shameless Homer

Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: SLC, UT
Posts: 13,994

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen
Default

Ladies and gentlemen, your Big East Football Champions:

2004: Pitt; BC; Syracuse; West Virginia
2005: West Virginia
2006: Louisville
2007: West Virginia
2008: Cincinnati

Ugh.
DomCasual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 03:58 PM   #25
24champ
Bring back Kubiak!
 
24champ's Avatar
 
Keep Calm and Chive on

Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Southern California
Posts: 19,976

Adopt-a-Bronco:
DomCasual
Default

Been saying for a while now....
24champ is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:58 AM.


Denver Broncos