The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Other Sports Discussion > MLB
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 11-15-2007, 02:32 PM   #1
DomCasual
This one's for Pat!

Shameless Homer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen
Default Congratulations Yorvit!

I always liked Yorvit while he was here, and I am genuinely glad for him to earn his first big payday. My understanding is that the deal is $15 million over three years.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3112042

Agent: Ex-Rockies catcher to agree to deal with Mets

By Andrew Marchand
Special to ESPN.com
(Archive)

Updated: November 15, 2007, 1:52 PM ET

Free-agent catcher Yorvit Torrealba will agree to a three-year contract with the New York Mets on Thursday, according to Torrealba's agent, Melvin Roman.

Roman told 1050 ESPN New York that he expects to formalize the agreement with the Mets this afternoon. Roman declined to reveal how much the contract would be worth. GM Omar Minaya did not immediately return a message seeking comment.

Torrealba, 29, is expected to be the starter. Ramon Castro will remain the backup but will receive more playing time than he did when Paul Lo Duca was the Mets' starting catcher. Lo Duca is also a free agent.

Last season, Torrealba hit .255 with eight homers and 47 RBIs for the NL champion Colorado Rockies. As a hitter, he showed a large disparity on the road as compared to Coors Field. Torrealba hit .296 with six homers and 34 RBIs in Denver, while he batted just .212 with two homers and 13 RBIs on the road.

The Mets, though, are signing Torrealba mainly for his defense. Rockies pitchers gave Torrealba a lot of credit for how he called a game, though he did not have a high success rate when trying to throw runners out.

Torrealba only caught 13-of-74 base-stealers, while the man he replaces, Lo Duca, nailed 17-of-89.

Torrealba played in 113 games lasts season, by far his most as a major-leaguer. In his previous seven seasons, Torrealba had only topped 60 games three times, peaking a 66 in 2003 with the San Francisco Giants.

The Rockies and Florida Marlins were believed to be the other two teams interested in Torrealba.

The Mets' first choice to replace Lo Duca was Jorge Posada, but the New York Yankees never gave the Mets a chance to offer Posada any money. Just before open free agency began this week, the Yankees extended Posada a four-year, $52.4 million offer that he accepted.
DomCasual is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-15-2007, 05:40 PM   #2
Hotrod
Self Appointed Expert

aka Dortoh

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Miss I

**** I just figured out how to say his name.

Who will they go after I dont figure they would bring up someone (young) at that position while having young pitchers.

Any solid affordable vets out there.
Hotrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 06:58 PM   #3
DomCasual
This one's for Pat!

Shameless Homer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotrod View Post
**** I just figured out how to say his name.

Who will they go after I dont figure they would bring up someone (young) at that position while having young pitchers.

Any solid affordable vets out there.
I'd say Michael Barrett (depending on what San Diego decides to do with him in arbitration), Paul LoDuca, and Jason Kendall - in that order. Chris Ianetta, last year's opening day starter, is also an option. I would like to think they'll avoid that - they said a few weeks ago they would like to leave him in Colorado Springs in 2008. They brought him up too early, and it really messed him up. He's something like the organizations fifth "catcher of the future." None of the other guys really did much (other than Brad Ausmus - and he did it for a different team).

Barrett would be my first choice - assuming San Diego doesn't offer him arbitration (that would mean the Rockies would have to give San Diego their 2008 1st-round draft pick if they signed him). His offense would be an upgrade over Torrealba, and he's been around long enough that he should be able to work well with our young pitchers. He's terrible defensively, though.
Old 11-16-2007, 10:22 AM   #4
Hotrod
Self Appointed Expert

aka Dortoh

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Miss I

Thanks for the info Dom

LoDuca has a pretty good bat no
Hotrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 11:47 AM   #5
DomCasual
This one's for Pat!

Shameless Homer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotrod View Post
Thanks for the info Dom

LoDuca has a pretty good bat no
Well, he did. Last year he was hurt a little, so his production dropped. But he still hit 30 points higher than Yorvit. He was an all-star two years ago. But once a catcher gets to his age (he'll be 36 in April), it's very unlikely that things go anywhere but down.
Old 11-16-2007, 01:48 PM   #6
theAPAOps5
A new beginning!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Watermock - RIP

No thanks on Barrett. I was hoping the team would play to keep Yorvit, he is like Varitek to the rockies pitchers. But alas that meant the Monforts having to spend a little and that ain't going to happen.
theAPAOps5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 02:07 PM   #7
DomCasual
This one's for Pat!

Shameless Homer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApaOps5 View Post
No thanks on Barrett. I was hoping the team would play to keep Yorvit, he is like Varitek to the rockies pitchers. But alas that meant the Monforts having to spend a little and that ain't going to happen.
I am as far from being a Monfort apologist as there is, but I have to disagree. Go to the Mets messageboard and check out what they're saying about Torrealba today. It's not pretty. 3 years, $14.4 million is too much for the guy. I am glad for him, but I also think he's going to earn every penny of that - he's going from a situation where he was anonymous at worst, beloved at best, to a situation where everybody resents him.

And rapport with pitchers aside, let's not forget that Yorvit's a guy that hit .255 and threw out 2 of the last 52 base stealers. We're not talking about losing Johnny Bench or Catfish Hunter, in other words.

I'm not a big fan of any of the team's options at catcher, either. But I am only slightly less a fan of them than I was of going into 2008 with Yorvit as our guy. I'd much rather take the extra $8 million we would have had to pay him (from the 2 year, $7 million that we offered) and put it towards a solid option at 2B (I hear that Kaz guy is available), or locking up Atkins or Holliday.
Old 11-16-2007, 06:55 PM   #8
Jori
US Olympian

I'm with Dom and this comes from someone who hasn't stepped inside Coors Field for over four seasons because of the Monforts.

It's not about the guys like Torrealba and Matsui...it's Atkins, Hawpe, Holliday and down the road Tulowitzki. Keeping the core together is key. With all due respect to Torrealba, he's not a core player. Torrealba took advantage of a weak market. I'm not going to blame him for taking that kind of coin, but I'm not going to blame the Rox for not giving him that rediculous contract.

Last edited by Jori; 11-16-2007 at 06:58 PM..
Jori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 07:12 PM   #9
theAPAOps5
A new beginning!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Watermock - RIP

I can see your point Dom. But I don't trust the brother Monforts, I see a few of the core leaving to get paid because the Monforts just can't compete with the big boys. Or should I say won't compete with the big boys. Its sad too because the fans will be out in force next year lining the Monforts pockets only to have them balk at paying to keep the core group in tact.

Here is to hoping my feelings are just mistrust and that I am proven wrong though!
Old 11-17-2007, 01:34 AM   #10
Bronco LB 59
Ring of Famer

Keep your head up dog

Torrealba and Matsui are both solid vets, but the team isn't going to lose the division with the loss of either one. The core of this squad is the homegrown talent and the Rockies have plenty of great cards to work with to get better like Stewart, Koshansky, Seth Smith, etc.

Dom, I hope the Rockies give Iannetta a chance. I know he slumped badly this year, but the Rockies did him a disservice by having him sit the pine instead of accumulate at-bats in numbers at the Triple-A level. I understand how you feel though after all the failed young backstops such as Ben Petrick (for reasons out of his control) and J.D. Closser. I am also a fan of Edwin Bellorin who had a good year at Colorado Springs. He's your traditional short-and-stocky catcher, a pitch-and-catch guy. I think he would make a terrific backup who won't hurt you with his bat.

As for second, anybody open to the possibility of moving Ian Stewart there?

Last edited by Bronco LB 59; 11-17-2007 at 01:36 AM..
Bronco LB 59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2007, 02:26 AM   #11
DomCasual
This one's for Pat!

Shameless Homer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronco LB 52 View Post
As for second, anybody open to the possibility of moving Ian Stewart there?
I'm open to it. I just wish they had tried it a year or so ago. It'd be great to get his bat in the lineup, though.
Old 11-17-2007, 01:17 PM   #12
phillybroncosnut
Ring of Famer

The HOF is BLIND!!!

A good 2nd base option for the Rockies is Tad Igutchi. I think he might be an upgrade to Kaz.
When the Phils traded for himafter Utley got hurt and was out for a month, Guch hit close to .400 and was a great 2 hole hitter. He knows how to hit and always made contact.

The Phillies fans wanted him in the lineup when Utley got back and publicly begged to move Guch to 3rd to have his bat in there. From all indications, Guch didn't want to play 3rd though.

I think Guch will get a good bit of money though. I don't know if the Rox are in the market to sign above average FA though with all the players they have coming up for FA.
phillybroncosnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2007, 08:04 PM   #13
Jori
US Olympian

Not so fast...

http://www.newsday.com/sports/ny-spm...,6599370.story
Jori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2007, 11:40 PM   #14
DomCasual
This one's for Pat!

Shameless Homer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jori View Post
Absolutely bizarre! I can't wait to hear the story behind this one.
Old 11-18-2007, 02:15 AM   #15
theAPAOps5
A new beginning!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Watermock - RIP

Yeah talk about a turn of events.