The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Announcements, Features and Feedback
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 01-02-2007, 04:57 PM   #1
Beantown Bronco
Athletic Supporter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Prater

A memorial fund has been set up by the team:

The purpose of the fund is to benefit Williams' two children for future educational and health needs.

Contributions can be sent to:

Darrent Williams Children s Fund

c/o Denver Broncos

13655 Broncos Parkway

Englewood, CO 80112
Beantown Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-03-2007, 12:34 AM   #2
RhymesayersDU
Go Broncos, Nuggets, Rox

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ty Lawson

They need to get some PayPal going!

But as soon as I can get a money order, I'll have to donate.
RhymesayersDU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 12:43 AM   #3
Florida_Bronco
Ring of Famer

Coming Back Strong in 2014

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Quinton Carter

Thanks for the info.
Florida_Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 12:49 AM   #4
dbroncos31
Ring of Famer

RIP D-Will

Thanks for the info, man.
dbroncos31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 03:08 AM   #5
TexanBob
Don't Argue With Me

You Know I'm Right

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Darris Nash

I know this sounds coldhearted but I suspect there are thousands of children in Denver more in need of money than D-Will's children. Yes, it's terrible they no longer have a father and my heart goes out to them but the NFL support system will see to it they are taken care of. Rumor has it that some of Darrent's teammates are very wealthy. I'm sure some of them will make sure these children don't go hungry.

Better that you should give the money to the local children's hospital or local charities so orphans who did not have a rich father might be able to have some of the same benefits Williams' children will get.

Last edited by TexanBob; 01-03-2007 at 03:12 AM..
TexanBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 10:32 AM   #6
Meck77

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanBob View Post
I know this sounds coldhearted but I suspect there are thousands of children in Denver more in need of money than D-Will's children. Yes, it's terrible they no longer have a father and my heart goes out to them but the NFL support system will see to it they are taken care of. Rumor has it that some of Darrent's teammates are very wealthy. I'm sure some of them will make sure these children don't go hungry.

Better that you should give the money to the local children's hospital or local charities so orphans who did not have a rich father might be able to have some of the same benefits Williams' children will get.
Well that may well be Bob but either the family/Broncos set up a children's fund. I don't have the details on Darren'ts contract but between a rookie contract, taxes, buying his mother a home (Which was reported much nicer than the one he lived in), a 24 year old guy having fun-Which I don't blame him one bit, there may not have been much left over. I'm sure Darrent's financial plan didn't include not playing beyond his second year.

I think if everyone takes the position that "somebody else will do something for him" than the kids may infact be left high and dry by the time they reach 18 years old and want to go to college etc.

I do agree with you Bob that there are plenty of other children in Denver that probably need help just as much help and we should do our part to help them as well.

Whether we help Darrent's children or other children in the Denver area I think Darrent would appeciate it.
Meck77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 10:39 AM   #7
cpad007
Bleed n Cry Orange n Blue

Quote:

Fully agree and it is not cold-hearted at all. These kinds of things always happen when someone known, popular, famous, etc. dies. It is just human nature.

However, the info is there if it makes you feel better to do something like this and donate your money. It is your money, do with it as you please. Perhaps DWill's family will turn right around and put that money right back into their community in some form. I'm sure his family will wish to keep going the plans he had layed down. Shanny even said the same thing in his press interview: they'll make sure to keep alive the things he wanted to do.

It is all good and I'm sure it'll go where it is needed eventually.
cpad007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 10:45 AM   #8
mattbeymvp
Seasoned Veteran

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:

He put his body and health on the line for two years to entertain the fans in this city. He played with injuries and did it all knowing that it probably would cause health issues for him after his career was over, if not taking years off of his life.

I'm not saying that Broncos fans owe his family anything because of that, it's just something to keep in mind when making a decision.
mattbeymvp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 01:37 PM   #9
Crushaholic
Armchair Poster

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Isaiah Burse

Quote:

Or, in Dallas, for that matter...

The way I look at it, Darrent's intentions were to help out the underprivileged children in his community.
Crushaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 03:24 PM   #10
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum

Where is Amazon!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson!

Quote:

Then seek out a charity you like & feel needs the money more & give in his memory or list the name of some charities here so we all can do the same if some of us agree with you.

Do something & act on your words rather than b**** & complain.
broncosteven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 03:26 PM   #11
Tredici
Ring of Famer

Quote:

The intent of the fund is to provide medical or educational assistance to Darrent William's children. If you think he had that all taken care of by age 24or that his friends should be obligated to take on that responsibility you live in a mighty mature and generous world.
Tredici is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 08:41 PM   #12
Atlas
Draft Defense Early&Often

Quote:

That's a good idea. Make a donation to a local children's hospital on behalf of Darrent Williams.
Atlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 01:59 PM   #13
watermock
"Hoodie Jr"

"Hug me!"

If anyone cares to donate God bless. I'm sure the Broncos passed the hat or will.

None of that will bring him back. I'm so pissed.
watermock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 02:43 PM   #14
TexanBob
Don't Argue With Me

You Know I'm Right

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Darris Nash

Of course many will give simply to express their support of someone they cared about. It's very natural and I'm not criticising anyone who gives.

Athletes do, however, have unique ways of making money. They can take a sharpie and scribble their name on a piece of cardboard, sell it at auction and make hundreds of dollars for a cause. You or I can't do that.
TexanBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 06:54 PM   #15
Que
Gettin' some

Just the tip

Paypal needed.
Que is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 07:57 PM   #16
chadta
Atomic Meatball Keeper

Adopt-a-Bronco:
The Mc Rib

how about giving to the charity you feel is more deserving in darrents name.
chadta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 11:26 PM   #17
phillybroncosnut
Ring of Famer

The HOF is BLIND!!!

I just emailed the heads of NFL.com the following. Who knows if they'll even consider it.

"To Whom it may concern......

I am an avid NFL.com reader and supporter and for the most part, I love the site. However, I think you guys have severly dropped the ball in a recent news story. Please allow me the time to get my point across and ask a favor.
As you well know, Darrent Williams was brutally murdered early new years day. As a life long fan of the Denver Broncos, my heart was totally ripped out. I think I speak for all the fans of the Broncos when I say that. NFL.com, along with Espn.com and the ESPN television broadcasts chose to bury this story into the middle of your news coverage. Why? Who knows. Maybe because Darrent was a class act on the field and cared for the kids of the Denver community. He wasn't terrell Ownes who, if he blinks, you guys make the lead story.
I can't change the fact that you guys dropped the ball on this tragic story. Neither can you. You can make up for it though......
Not only were the hearts of the fans, his teammates, and his family's ripped out, Darrent left behind 2 young children.
I think it would be a tremendous help if you guys would post on your lead page the information for the "Darrent Williams Children Fund". The information is as follows:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A memorial fund has been set up by the team:

The purpose of the fund is to benefit Williams' two children for future educational and health needs.

Contributions can be sent to:

Darrent Williams Children s Fund

c/o Denver Broncos

13655 Broncos Parkway

Englewood, CO 80112

Once again, I'm disappointed you guys decided to bury a story that I thought should have dominated the entire day, if not the entire week. But, I guess the firing of Jim Mora and Dennis Green was more important."
phillybroncosnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 05:04 AM   #18
16slayer24
Solid Starter

darrant made enough too have a huge life insurance if he didnt his bad gang bangin new years eve with no insurancei barely raise myself i cant raise a rich mans kids that didnt buy insurance for them... period
16slayer24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007, 12:12 AM   #19
Mtbrncofn
Ring of Famer

Come on slayer, gang bangin New Years? Not the case. You could at least have a little more sympathy for them.
Mtbrncofn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007, 12:25 AM   #20
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum

Where is Amazon!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson!

17sleyar23 does not even know who Darrent Willams is.

This is optional people. Some people feel the need to help his kids, some like to donate in his name to other worthwhile charities.

Tolerance is something we all need to learn to develop. Some people here have fewer brain cells & it takes them longer.
broncosteven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007, 12:43 AM   #21
XXXII&III
Pro Bowler

Evidently Allen (sp?) Iverson of the Nuggets was Darrent's favorite basketball player. When that was relayed to Iverson, he said he was going to donate to the children's fund.
XXXII&III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007, 01:52 AM   #22
Mtbrncofn
Ring of Famer

Here's a cool tidbit I found. Sorry if its already been posted.

The NFL announced Friday it would return a $15,000 fine levied against Williams for arguing with an official in a Nov. 19 game against San Diego. League spokesman Greg Aiello said the money would be turned over to the Broncos to return to Williams' family.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slu...v=ap&type=lgns
Mtbrncofn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007, 01:54 AM   #23
XXXII&III
Pro Bowler

oh, thanks, MT. I had seen that earlier but forgot to post it.

(I'm a MT native, by the way)
XXXII&III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007, 04:19 AM   #24
Goobzilla
Lights Out B***h!

BA-ZING!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mitch Erickson

If you want to help out Darrent's favorite charity, they are selling memorial bracelets on his website. $5 each with 100% of the profits going to the Boys & Girls Clubs in Denver and Fort Worth.

Goobzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 09:44 AM   #25
clarkster
Ring of Famer

whats more tragic than DWs death or his children to me is the fact that every day someones dad/mom dies doing more honorable things than playing football, but how many funds are set up for their children? nobody thinks about it until its someone we know...
the boys/girls club idea is awesome.
clarkster is offline   Reply With Quote